Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Favorite William Powell & Myrna Loy Movie

14 posts in this topic

William Powell and Myrna Loy made 14 films together-- most of which are romantic comedies.  The Thin Man, while mostly a mystery series I believe could also qualify as a romantic comedy as there are many light hearted moments in the films.

My favorite of their films is Love Crazy.  That movie is so ridiculous, it is hilarious.  I love when Myrna Loy is coming onto the neighbor thinking that he's Powell's lady friend's husband with whom she'd made an arrangement to pretend that they were having an affair.  Loy, however, visits the wrong apartment and is coming onto the wrong guy who has no idea what's going on.

Of course, the end, when Powell, mustache-less (not a good look for him by the way), pretends to be his sister as a means to evade the police.  The funniest part is when one of his balls of yarn (that are masquerading as Powell's bosom) get caught on the record player and suddenly, he is very lopsided.  

What is your favorite Powell/Loy film?

William Powell and Myrna Loy made 14 films together-- most of which are romantic comedies.  The Thin Man, while mostly a mystery series I believe could also qualify as a romantic comedy as there are many light hearted moments in the films.

My favorite of their films is Love Crazy.  That movie is so ridiculous, it is hilarious.  I love when Myrna Loy is coming onto the neighbor thinking that he's Powell's lady friend's husband with whom she'd made an arrangement to pretend that they were having an affair.  Loy, however, visits the wrong apartment and is coming onto the wrong guy who has no idea what's going on.

Of course, the end, when Powell, mustache-less (not a good look for him by the way), pretends to be his sister as a means to evade the police.  The funniest part is when one of his balls of yarn (that are masquerading as Powell's ****) get caught on the record player and suddenly, he is very lopsided.  

My favorite Powell/Loy comedy film would be Libel Lady.   This is one of the best 30s comedies and of course also features Jean Harlow who is in fine form in this film.     

My favorite Powell/Loy drama would be Manhattan Melodrama.   This is a first rate film that also features Clark Gable.

For me choosing a favorite is tough,  like  being a parent with a bunch of kids, I love them all (maybe a few a little more than the others). We think of them primarily as a "comedy team"  although the dramas they did are good films in their own right .  I really can't separate the Thin Man films from one another, I love them all equally.   I like the film DOUBLE WEDDING as much as any Powell/Loy pairing .  As we have discussed before the back story of the making of that film is very sad, Jean Harlow died in the middle of the production and both Powell and Loy were devastated by that. Powell was in love with Jean Harlow (maybe about to marry)  and Loy was a best friend of hers.  Its a miracle that the ending film turned out so well, and funny. Powell's off beat character is a bit different from his usual Nick Charles persona.  What we see on film is William Powell  acting at the top of his game although Myrna seems a little more stiff, awkward in her work. Part of that is her character but it appears she was struggling a bit doing the part.  Powell could let the  film work distract him from his personal anguish while Loy couldn't so well.

The Thin Man (which, along with Bringing Up Baby, holds the title as my favorite film, period).  I watch all six of the films in that franchise with some regularity, especially the early ones, which are superior.  There are a couple of things from the novel I wish were in the film, and one thing from the Lux radio adaptation, but it's something close to perfect as it is.

A close second is Libeled Lady.  I'm not a huge fan of Jean Harlow - I don't dislike her, but a little of her goes a long way for me.  With a foursome cast, it's the perfect amount.  I do wonder if this film could have been even better had Clark Gable been cast as originally planned - since he works so well with all three costars - but Spencer Tracy does a great job.  Walter Connolly is a delight.  And the Loy/Powell combination is winning as always.  I love the evolution of Bill and Connie's relationship; how she has his number at first, how their feelings for each other change (as a side note, I'd pay big money to see the deleted scene from the first night at the cabin), and how lovely and natural they are together as a couple.  I also adore that his revelation of what was originally planned happens off-screen and is not something she has a fit over.  Katharine Hepburn called this film "the funniest damn thing I've ever seen," and I can't argue with her.

I also adore Love Crazy and I Love You Again.  Jack Carson is a wonderful addition to the former, and Frank McHugh to the latter.  Loy dumping a plate of scrambled eggs on Powell's head never gets old. 

Their first collaboration, Manhattan Melodrama, is a good showcase for Loy, Powell, and Gable.  All work nicely together (it's no surprise to me that Loy starred with Gable numerous times as well, although nothing close to her 14 collaborations - well, 13 plus a cameo - with Powell), and I really get invested in the characters.  I wish Evelyn Prentice had been a better script and thus a better finished product, as I'd have liked to see them continue to do dramas together as well.

Double Wedding, as has been discussed elsewhere on these boards, has a bit of an off feel to it, but still contains quite charming moments (e.g. the picnic, the early scenes in the trailer).  Jean Harlow's death in the midst of production plays an obvious role (she was Powell's girlfriend and Loy's friend), but the script also kind of falls apart in the end and the slapstick isn't really their bag.

I don't watch The Great Ziegfeld very often.  They do a good job as always, but it's such a whitewashed version of Flo, and of Flo and Billie, that I can't really get into it. 

All in all, I'm pretty sure I'd watch Myrna Loy and William Powell read the phone book.  Their real-life friendship was really something special, and they absolutely loved working together.  That goes a long way.

• Like 1

The Thin Man (which, along with Bringing Up Baby, holds the title as my favorite film, period).  I watch all six of the films in that franchise with some regularity, especially the early ones, which are superior.  There are a couple of things from the novel I wish were in the film, and one thing from the Lux radio adaptation, but it's something close to perfect as it is.

A close second is Libeled Lady.  I'm not a huge fan of Jean Harlow - I don't dislike her, but a little of her goes a long way for me.  With a foursome cast, it's the perfect amount.  I do wonder if this film could have been even better had Clark Gable been cast as originally planned - since he works so well with all three costars - but Spencer Tracy does a great job.  Walter Connolly is a delight.  And the Loy/Powell combination is winning as always.  I love the evolution of Bill and Connie's relationship; how she has his number at first, how their feelings for each other change (as a side note, I'd pay big money to see the deleted scene from the first night at the cabin), and how lovely and natural they are together as a couple.  I also adore that his revelation of what was originally planned happens off-screen and is not something she has a fit over.  Katharine Hepburn called this film "the funniest damn thing I've ever seen," and I can't argue with her.

I also adore Love Crazy and I Love You Again.  Jack Carson is a wonderful addition to the former, and Frank McHugh to the latter.  Loy dumping a plate of scrambled eggs on Powell's head never gets old. 

Their first collaboration, Manhattan Melodrama, is a good showcase for Loy, Powell, and Gable.  All work nicely together (it's no surprise to me that Loy starred with Gable numerous times as well, although nothing close to her 14 collaborations - well, 13 plus a cameo - with Powell), and I really get invested in the characters.  I wish Evelyn Prentice had been a better script and thus a better finished product, as I'd have liked to see them continue to do dramas together as well.

Double Wedding, as has been discussed elsewhere on these boards, has a bit of an off feel to it, but still contains quite charming moments (e.g. the picnic, the early scenes in the trailer).  Jean Harlow's death in the midst of production plays an obvious role (she was Powell's girlfriend and Loy's friend), but the script also kind of falls apart in the end and the slapstick isn't really their bag.

I don't watch The Great Ziegfeld very often.  They do a good job as always, but it's such a whitewashed version of Flo, and of Flo and Billie, that I can't really get into it. 

All in all, I'm pretty sure I'd watch Myrna Loy and William Powell read the phone book.  Their real-life friendship was really something special, and they absolutely loved working together.  That goes a long way.

You clearly know Powell and Loy films very well.    One solid Gable \ Loy film is Test Pilot which also stars Tracy.      

You clearly know Powell and Loy films very well.  

Oh, my appreciation for Myrna Loy is just this side of obsession.  I grew up watching The Thin Man every time it was on TV (back when local stations aired black and white films), so there's some nostalgia, but I just find the Loy/Powell films very comforting.  They make me happy after a long day. 

One solid Gable \ Loy film is Test Pilot which also stars Tracy.  

I love that one.  I also like Wife vs. Secretary, with Loy, Gable and Harlow.   

Due to my enjoyment of detective movies in general, my favorite for this pairing is The Thin Man. But I love Myrna Loy. And I would love to be William Powell. And I've seen thirteen of their fourteen pairings (the exception being The Senator Was Indiscreet which I need to get around to one of these years) and have enjoyed every one of them.

Due to my enjoyment of detective movies in general, my favorite for this pairing is The Thin Man. But I love Myrna Loy. And I would love to be William Powell. And I've seen thirteen of their fourteen pairings (the exception being The Senator Was Indiscreet which I need to get around to one of these years) and have enjoyed every one of them.

**spoiler**

I don't think Loy has a large role in SENATOR-- she is used for a gag at the end, in what amounts to a brief cameo.

Ella Raines is Powell's leading lady.

Mine is The Thin Man Goes Home; I feel it - here.

There are so many really good Powell/Loy films.

I assume The Thin Man Goes Home is a unique choice for favorite Powell/Loy films.   I have to say that is my least favorite of their films but hey,   I have been known to be like the Tin Man.   :blink:

I assume The Thin Man Goes Home is a unique choice for favorite Powell/Loy films.   I have to say that is my least favorite of their films but hey,   I have been known to be like the Tin Man. 

I've long been surprised by how many people - mostly on IMDb, but elsewhere as well - list that as their favorite of the Thin Man films.  It has moments I love, and I like the absence of Nicky Jr. and the fact Nora gets more to do on her own than normal, but I still put it last in my ranking of the Thin Man series.  It just has such a different feel to it, with the sobriety, the small town setting, the different director, and such.  And don't get me started on the spanking.

Anyway, while the general consensus is the films declined in quality as the series went on, there is a sizable group of viewers out there who single this one out as a favorite.

I've long been surprised by how many people - mostly on IMDb, but elsewhere as well - list that as their favorite of the Thin Man films.  It has moments I love, and I like the absence of Nicky Jr. and the fact Nora gets more to do on her own than normal, but I still put it last in my ranking of the Thin Man series.  It just has such a different feel to it, with the sobriety, the small town setting, the different director, and such.  And don't get me started on the spanking.

Anyway, while the general consensus is the films declined in quality as the series went on, there is a sizable group of viewers out there who single this one out as a favorite.

Well you answered one question for me; how one would know that many list The Thin Man Goes Home as their favorite of the series. (IMdb)  I also rank it last for the same reasons as you.     As you say I believe the general consensus is that the films decline as the series goes on.   I also feel this way except for Song of the Thin Man.     I rank this one as #3 because the setting is about jazz music and jazz musicians and noir icon Gloria Grahame is in the film   (of course not enough but still,  some Gloria is better than no Gloria).

I rank this one as #3 because the setting is about jazz music and jazz musicians and noir icon Gloria Grahame is in the film   (of course not enough but still,  some Gloria is better than no Gloria).

I basically go in order except for ranking Song of the Thin Man above The Thin Man Goes Home.  However, I can entertain arguments from those who rank After the Thin Man ahead of the original. 

But I enjoy them all -- it's Nick and Nora, how bad could anything be?  And all six have terrific lines/moments ... there just seem to be fewer of them as the series goes on.  Which was inevitable, especially since we no longer had Goodrich and Hackett as the writers after the third film and lost director Woody Van Dyke prior to the fifth.

TCM had a marathon of William Powell movies today (his birthday), and I came home early -- just in time to watch Myrna Loy dump a plate of scrambled eggs on his head in I Love You Again.  That's one of my favorite scenes, but I have many in that film.  Loy does such a great job in the final scene with Kay's shifting emotions as it seems Larry has regressed to his uptight personality.

TCM had a marathon of William Powell movies today (his birthday), and I came home early -- just in time to watch Myrna Loy dump a plate of scrambled eggs on his head in I Love You Again.  That's one of my favorite scenes, but I have many in that film.  Loy does such a great job in the final scene with Kay's shifting emotions as it seems Larry has regressed to his uptight personality.

One of the reasons this film rates highly with me. I like it better than all the THIN MAN movies combined.