Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

542 posts in this topic

Elena Verdugo (1925-2017) - Actress Elena Verdugo has died at the age of 92. She made her first film appearance at age 5 in 1931's Cavalier of the West. She appeared in small roles and in B-films for the next two decades, including House of Frankenstein (1944), Little Giant (1946), and Cyrano de Bergerac (1950). She later moved on to TV with much success, guest-starring in multiple series and playing nurse Consuelo Lopez on Marcus Welby MD for 7 years. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.

601a_1.JPG

marcus-welby-m-d-e1496260959536.jpg?w=22

Elena Verdugo (1925-2017) - Actress Elena Verdugo has died at the age of 92. She made her first film appearance at age 5 in 1931's Cavalier of the West. She appeared in small roles and in B-films for the next two decades, including House of Frankenstein (1944), Little Giant (1946), and Cyrano de Bergerac (1950). She later moved on to TV with much success, guest-starring in multiple series and playing nurse Consuelo Lopez on Marcus Welby MD for 7 years. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.

601a_1.JPG

Sorry to hear this. She was lovely as the gypsy in House of Frankenstein and very cute as Costello's girlfriend in Little Giant. Her ancestors were among the original settlers in what is now Los Angeles. At one time, they owned about 36,000 acres in the area.

Thank you for the photos.  I never saw Elena Verdugo as a brunette although it's not surprising that she'd be one being a genuine Hispanic.  She was starring on Meet Millie when my family first got a TV in late 1952.  She played a truck-stop waitress and wore a uniform most times but in one episode she almost married and wore one of those gowns that was all lace on top and ball room skirt.  That was my dream gown for years. 

I also remember her from Marcus Welby.  Didn't she get an Emmy for it?  The ranks just keep getting thinner.

Jimmy Piersall (1929-2017) - Former Major League Baseball player, primarily with the Boston Red Sox  and the California Angels, who was the subject of the 1957 film Fear Strikes Out, with Anthony Perkins starring as Piersall. 

jimtony.jpg

Jimmy Piersall (1929-2017) - Former Major League Baseball player, primarily with the Boston Red Sox  and the California Angels, who was the subject of the 1957 film Fear Strikes Out, with Anthony Perkins starring as Piersall. 

jimtony.jpg

LAWRENCE, once again you hit it out of the TCM ballpark with this topic!!!   I saw this heavy drama & found it well-made (***-ut of 4 stars)

Powers Boothe, a character actor who appeared in films like Sin City and TV shows including Deadwood and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., has died. He was 68.

Hailing from Texas, Boothe began his acting career in the theater, playing a number of Shakespearean roles including Henry IV. He made his Broadway debut in the late 70s. 

In 1980, he won an Emmy for lead actor in a limited series or special for playing the title role of cult leader Jim Jones in CBS' Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones. He won that award during an actors strike and chose to cross the picket line to accept his award, saying: "This may be either the bravest moment of my career, or the dumbest."

Boothe gained a reputation for playing villains with memorable roles in action film Sudden Death,  Bill Paxton's Frailty and the nefarious Senator Roark in Sin City. More recently Boothe took on the role of Gideon Malick as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, debuting the role on The Avengers and reprising it on TV on ABC's The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

He portrayed Alexander Haig in Nixon (1995) and a sheriff in another Oliver Stone film, U Turn (1997), and was memorable as the gunman Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone (1993).

wTQwsKJ.jpg

& one cool actor!  I thought he was a bit older though then 68, when I 1st heard he went.  Always figured he was about Nick Nolte's age-76) ever see the comic book level of violence, but entertaining 1987 Walter Hill film "Extreme Prejudice" (**1/2) both starred in that ultra-violent pic. & both were in O. stone's 1997 "U-Turn" ($7m.) (**1/2) But, as you know & I think you wrote it was his Emmy winning riveting work as Jim Jones that he'll be remembered for.   He's one of those guys my mom always found attractive too.  She used to really go for Nolte throught the '80's when he was everywhere, but she got turned off to Nick after 1990's Sidney Lumet crime-drama "Q & A" ($11m.) (***) (NOTE: He was incredible in that movie though & even Brando later said he thought he was robbed by the AMPAS for it.   Ironically cable's been recently re-airing "Sin-City" (2005) ($75m/.) (***1/2) but I thought it's sequel was a ,mess.  Madonna-(still occasionally correspond with her, depends on her mood. She's actually a bookworm) has a release coming up that she directed "Greta Wells' ever hear of it, she bought the book a few yrs ago. Just wanted to see if it's gonna' be on that thread 2017 Films?

Roger Smith (1932-2017) - Actor Roger Smith has died. Smith is best remembered for his starring role in the hit TV series 77 Sunset Strip for 5 seasons starting 1958. Smith was married to singer-actress Ann-Margret for 50 years.

headshotweb.jpg

a+rog8.jpg

Roger Smith (1932-2017) - Actor Roger Smith has died. Smith is best remembered for his starring role in the hit TV series 77 Sunset Strip for 5 seasons starting 1958. Smith was married to singer-actress Ann-Margret for 50 years.

headshotweb.jpg

a+rog8.jpg

I was just watching Strip last night, thinking about how well the show has held up.

I know Roger had some kind of a neuromuscular disease for decades, but he soldiered on keeping a low profile.

He was simply a wonderful husband to Ann Margaret and truly saved her life with his quick action when she had that horrible tragic fall at the Sahara Hotel in Lake Tahoe.

I think now only Edd "Kookie" Byrnes and Jacqueline Beer survive from the original cast of Strip.

Sad that he was so ill for much of his adult life. I had just watched a 2 part 77 Sunset Strip that was shown the night Roger Smith died. In the episode he was falsely reported as dead, the guys had to rescue him. Very strange that those episodes were shown.

Ann-Margaret and Roger Smith seemed very devoted to each other, one of the few very successful Hollywood marriages.A lovely couple. Condolences to Ann-Margaret, Roger Smith's children and friends and other family members.

RIP Roger Smith

Sad that he was so ill for much of his adult life. I had just watched a 2 part 77 Sunset Strip that was shown the night Roger Smith died. In the episode he was falsely reported as dead, the guys had to rescue him. Very strange that those episodes were shown.

Maybe not so strange. What channel was it on? I watch Johnny Carson reruns on Antenna TV, and when a celebrity died, that same night they had a show with that person as a guest (Roger Moore the most recent), which had to be a last minute change.

Maybe not so strange. What channel was it on? I watch Johnny Carson reruns on Antenna TV, and when a celebrity died, that same night they had a show with that person as a guest (Roger Moore the most recent), which had to be a last minute change. 

Yes, I watch Johnny and I've noticed that and I did watch that Roger Moore episode. 77 is on ME-TV.These episodes were about Roger's character Jeff reported as dead, although he's really been kidnapped and he's beaten up, drugged and the fact that he's not really dead. Why pick those episodes when he was on the show for quite awhile and was the main character in other episodes. Kinda tacky to pick these episodes I think if it was done on purpose. I can't say for certain whether showing these episodes was intentional or not.

I do think that these stations showing episodes to honor actors (actresses) that have passed is a nice tribute.

Yes, I watch Johnny and I've noticed that and I did watch that Roger Moore episode. 77 is on ME-TV.These episodes were about Roger's character Jeff reported as dead, although he's really been kidnapped and he's beaten up, drugged and the fact that he's not really dead. Why pick those episodes when he was on the show for quite awhile and was the main character in other episodes. Kinda tacky to pick these episodes I think if it was done on purpose. I can't say for certain whether showing these episodes was intentional or not.

I do think that these stations showing episodes to honor actors (actresses) that have passed is a nice tribute.

I believe these 'old TV show' next works are showing shows that feature the recently departed on purpose (since it has occurred at least 6 times that I can recall).   I don't find that tacky at all since they are doing this as a tribute.

People at this forum are asking why TCM didn't honor so-in-so when they died.   So a station like Get-TV does so and that is tacky?

I believe these 'old TV show' next works are showing shows that feature the recently departed on purpose (since it has occurred at least 6 times that I can recall).   I don't find that tacky at all since they are doing this as a tribute.

People at this forum are asking why TCM didn't honor so-in-so when they died.   So a station like Get-TV does so and that is tacky?

I think you misunderstood what lavender posted. I believe she was saying that showing an episode where someone supposedly dies, to pay tribute to someone who has in reality just died, is tacky. 

Roger Smith (1932-2017) - Actor Roger Smith has died. Smith is best remembered for his starring role in the hit TV series 77 Sunset Strip for 5 seasons starting 1958. Smith was married to singer-actress Ann-Margret for 50 years.

headshotweb.jpg

a+rog8.jpg

Oh, so sorry to hear this. I know he suffered from that ailment most of his later life. I remember him in 77 Sunset Strip. Was always a treat to stay up late on Friday nights to watch it.

601a_1.JPG

Just noticed this. Too bad. I remember her on Marcus Welby. She didnt have much to do usually, but I remember an episode where she was going through menopause and was really bitchy to everyone. Would love to see that episode again!

I said showing that particular episode was tacky. There were lots of episodes with Roger Smith they could have shown instead of that one, if it was on purpose. Did you watch those episodes, I think not. I also said I liked the tv  stations airing episodes of recently departed actors and actresses, so please, if you are going to try to quote what I say, do not change my words.

Regardless, this thread is to show respect for Roger Smith's passing, not argue.

I think you misunderstood what lavender posted. I believe she was saying that showing an episode where someone supposedly dies, to pay tribute to someone who has in reality just died, is tacky. 

Thank You Rich. That was exactly my point. As usual, you understand what's written on the bds. You're the best

xo's

;)

I was watching 77 Sunset Strip this morning when I saw the tribute and learned Roger Smith had died.  Until I discovered this show-Mon thought it was too adult for us kids to watch when it was first on-I had no idea that he was also a good singer and wrote some above-average scripts.   He must have had a great sense of who he was to be able to take a back seat to Ann-Margret who always had my admiration for sticking by him during all those years he was ill.     

Glenne Headly, an Emmy-nominated actress known for her work in the films DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (1988), DICK TRACY (1990) and MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS (1995), has died. She was 62.

Headly received two Emmy nominations for her television work, the first for the 1989 miniseries Lonesome Dove ​and the second for the 1996 Showtime movie Bastard Out of Carolina​. At the time of her death, Headly was in production on the upcoming Seth Rogen-produced Hulu comedy series Future Man​, co-starring Ed Begley, Jr.

Variety ​remembers Glenne Headly here: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/glenne-headly-dies-age-63-1202459901/

I was saddened to read of Glenne Headly's passing this morning. Although never a big star, I enjoyed her unique charms in a number of movies, including Dirty Rotten ScoundrelsMortal Thoughts, and Dick Tracy.

6356249325_914ccc970a.jpg

Very sad. Very good actress. Glenne Headly was excellent in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Mr. Holland's Opus.  She had a recurrring role on the wonderful tv show Monk. Always enjoyed seeing her.

RIP Glenne Headly, you'll be missed

She had a wonderfully distinctive voice. ..and was the best part of that Demi Moore vanity project, Mortal Thoughts.

Anita Pallenberg (1944-2017) - Italian model and actress who became well-known in the swinging sixties as a paramour first to Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, and then to Keith Richards throughout the 1970's. She had 3 children with Richards. Pallenberg appeared in films such as Candy (1968), Barbarella (1968), Dillinger Is Dead (1969), and most memorably in Performance (1970), opposite James Fox and Mick Jagger.

68a791917d1b0387e74052d017acd8c0.jpg

1280-awb69pa5mh86c6xy6yadrwq3akapnqne9gt