[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

711 posts in this topic

Olivia Cole (November 26, 1942 - January 19, 2018) - Television, film and stage actress, best known for her roles in two landmark TV mini-series, Roots (1977) and Backstairs at the White House (1979). She was a series regular on the short-lived shows Szysznyk (1977) and Report to Murphy (1982), and appeared in other shows and mini-series including North and SouthWomen of Brewster PlaceMurder She Wrote, and L.A. Law. She made her final feature appearance in 2008's First Sunday.

Olivia-Cole-uai-258x258.jpg

• Sad 1

Mickey Jones (June 10, 1941 - February 7, 2018) - Character actor and musician Mickey Jones has died at the age of 76. He was a prolific drummer, working with such artists as Bob Dylan, Trini Lopez, Johnny Rivers, and Kenny Rogers. He was a member of musical group the First Edition. Jones earned 17 Gold Records in his music career.

He transitioned to acting in the late 1970's with small roles in television and movies. He specialized in rough country types, bikers, truckers, and heavies. He amassed 136 credits in his 40 year acting career. His television appearances included Charlie's AngelsThe Dukes of HazzardThe Incredible HulkFloVHome Improvement, and Justified. His film appearances included Tom HornThe Best Little Whorehouse in TexasNational Lampoon's VacationStarmanNadineThe Couch TripTin Cup, and Sling Blade.

mickey%20jones%20cowboy%20hat.jpg

A-428296-1291393068.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Reg E. Cathey (August 18, 1958 - February 9, 2018) - Character actor Reg E. Cathey has died at the age of 59 after a battle with lung cancer. He found his greatest success on television, with notable roles on OzThe Wire, and House of Cards, the last of which earned Cathey 3 Emmy nominations, the second of which (in 2015) resulted in a win. He appeared in many films as well, including Born On the Fourth of JulyLoose CannonsWhat About Bob?The MaskSevenPootie Tang, and 2015's Fantastic Four.

2013-04-20-1000.22.1757412.RegECathey222

We lost a masterful actor, a sonorous voice, a great colleague, and a kind friend. A more gregarious human being you could not find. A man whose presence was always a blessing and joy. I’m hard pressed to remember a moment of anger. A beautiful human being who will be missed

DVpiLCMU0AA0b_0.jpg

• Like 1

John Mahoney passed on Feb. 04 at 77.  His first major role was in Tin Men, which where i first noticed him.

Cozi TV is having a Frasier marathon today (0s/10) in honor of Mahoney.

24 minutes ago, TheCid said:

John Mahoney passed on Feb. 04 at 77.  His first major role was in Tin Men, which where i first noticed him.

Cozi TV is having a Frasier marathon today (0s/10) in honor of Mahoney.

I started a dedicated thread for him the other day:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/159439-rip-john-mahoney-1940-2018/

• Thanks 2

Johann Johannsson (September 19, 1969 - February 9, 2018) - Icelandic musician and composer who earned Oscar nominations for Best Score in 2015 for The Theory of Everything and in 2016 for Sicario. Among his other film credits are Prisoners (2013), Arrival (2016), and the upcoming Mandy (2018) and Mary Magdalene (2018). 

10-Johann-Johannsson.w190.h190.2x.jpg

9 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Vic Damone was the singers' singer and one of Frank Sinatra's favorites.

He appeared in MGM movies like Hit The Deck and had a short-lived NBC musical- variety show, The Lively Ones.

Vic was married 5 times. Among his wives were two well-known actresses, Pier Angeli and actress-singer Diahann Carroll.

Allegedly he was the singer portrayed in The Godfather movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Vic Damone was the singers' singer and one of Frank Sinatra's favorites.

He appeared in MGM movies like Hit The Deck and had a short-lived NBC musical- variety show, The Lively Ones.

Vic was married 5 times. Among his wives were two well-known actresses, Pier Angeli and actress-singer Diahann Carroll.

Allegedly he was the singer portrayed in The Godfather movie.

Actually Princess, Damone was reportedly offered the Johnny Fontane role in The Godfather, a role supposed by many to be based upon Frank Sinatra, but then was quoted as saying he turned it down due to reasons which included his pride in his Italian heritage.

The role would then of course go to Al Martino.

(...and who when I was young would often confuse with Damone, as I found their singing styles and voices to be very similar, and not to mention their similar appearance)

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually Princess, Damone was reportedly offered the Johnny Fontane role in The Godfather, a role supposed by many to be based upon Frank Sinatra, but then was quoted as saying he turned it down due to reasons which included his pride in his Italian heritage.

The role would then of course go to Al Martino.

(...and who when I was young would often confuse with Damone, as I found their singing styles and voices to be very similar)

Yes, and  I'm sure he had a good reason for turning it down. LOL

I love all the singers who could actually sing in the 50s and 60s.

But Al Martino was always my Achilles heel. He was on the radio more than Tony Bennett, Vic Damone, Sammy Davis jr. or Steve Lawrence.  Martino's  records sold like hotcakes and I just couldn't stand him.

He had this big hit record-- it was in 63 or 64 --called Painted Tainted Rose. They played it every hour on the hour. I just hated it.

Al Martino must be my Hugh Herbert singer!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

But Al Martino was always my Achilles heel. He was on the radio more than Tony Bennett, Vic Damone, Sammy Davis jr. or Steve Lawrence.  Martino's  records sold like hotcakes and I just couldn't stand him.

He had this big hit record-- it was in 63 or 64 --called Painted Tainted Rose. They played it every hour on the hour. I just hated it.

Al Martino must be my Hugh Herbert singer!

Really?! Didn't even like his "Spanish Eyes" recording?

(...I always kind'a liked that one, anyway)

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Really?! Didn't even like his "Spanish Eyes" recording?

(...I always kind'a liked that one, anyway)

There was one song that they would play every so often in Italian that drove me crazy-- Dean Martin singing "Return To Me".

I think he would first sing it  in English and then he would do a verse in Italian and it used to just make me have Goosebumps all over!

They played Dino a lot on the radio and I enjoyed his other songs but I was so wrapped up in Sinatra that I didn't pay that much attention to him outside of this one number.

Dino was a natural singing Wonder.

The other most famous Italian American singer was Tony Bennett. I thought that he had been really great when he started, but later on--I don't know if it was substance abuse or what-- it was it really took a lot out of his voice, but he still had the style anyway.

Another fine singer was Tommy Leonetti who never really made it big.

But Dargo-- I would be remiss to mention that I don't like Martino if I also didn't say something negative about Jerry Vale. I guess we can't get any older than that.LOL

They made Vic an offer he could refuse. My dad liked Jerry Vale, not sure why

as he wasn't a big music fan. These guys did have good voices, but they never

did much for me.

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

There's lots of new singers singing those classic songs today. Unfortunately, you have to search the internet to find them. That music will never go away, even if the singers do.

• Like 2

Being a sitcom addict, my first thought was of his guest shot on The Dick Van Dyke Show..   Related image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vautrin said:

My dad liked Jerry Vale, not sure why

Mine liked Wayne Newton (the child version-Danke Schon):P

8 hours ago, shutoo said:

Being a sitcom addict, my first thought was of his guest shot on The Dick Van Dyke Show..   Related image

I saw that show when it first ran. And my first thought was why doesn't this guy have a bigger career in show business?

This was the time when Andy Williams had that fantastic TV show and he was and is my favorite male singer.

NBC had given a number of singers opportunities to take Perry Como's slot when Perry Como finally went to sleep.

Pat Boone did a lot of stuff for a while and then he went on to the movies.

Julius LaRosa was also slated to maybe to be the next Perry Como but he seem to get into Showbiz political issues that kept on going round and round.

Then they gave Vic Damone a shot and it just didn't take.( The Lively Ones)

Andy Williams had gotten on the inside track because he had been one of the original singers on the original Tonight Show, along with Steve and Eydie.

The other unfortunate thing about Vic is that he never had any hit records in the late fifties through to the sixties.

Johnny Mathis, Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Barbra Streisand, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett and of course Frank Sinatra-- they were all over the radio. But not a peep from Vic Damone with all that Talent.

It's a shame because Vic Damone was such a Class Act --and good-looking to boot --

What a wonderfully accomplished singer!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shutoo said:

I think Vic Damone was one of the legendary guest singers on the short-lived Judy Garland Show too.

Everybody and anybody who could really sing was on that show, except Frank Sinatra  and Dean Martin. However, they had done a highly-rated TV special with her, so that's not to be missed as well.

Marty Allen (March 23, 1922 - February, 12, 2018) - Comedian and actor Marty Allen has died at the age of 95. A decorated Army veteran of World War 2, Allen became a stand-up comedian after the war, originally in a partnership with Mitch DeWood. After that teaming ended in 1958, Allen partnered up with Steve Rossi, which proved very successful, with a string of hit comedy albums, TV appearances and even films. Allen was a frequent guest on talk shows and game shows, and was a long-time headliner in Las Vegas.

marty-allen-yng_thumb.jpg

rossipng-402760048b34c2e3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Marty Allen (March 23, 1922 - February, 12, 2018) - Comedian and actor Marty Allen has died at the age of 95. A decorated Army veteran of World War 2, Allen became a stand-up comedian after the war, originally in a partnership with Mitch DeWood. After that teaming ended in 1958, Allen partnered up with Steve Rossi, which proved very successful, with a string of hit comedy albums, TV appearances and even films. Allen was a frequent guest on talk shows and game shows, and was a long-time headliner in Las Vegas.

marty-allen-yng_thumb.jpg

I suppose this is where we say to Marty...wait for it...

"Goodbye Dere"?

(...sorry...although I have a feelin' he would have appreciated it)

• Haha 1

Just now, Dargo said:

I suppose this is were we say to Marty...wait for it...

"Goodbye Dere"?

(...sorry) ;)

I think he would approve.

Just now, Thenryb said:

Mine liked Wayne Newton (the child version-Danke Schon):P

Wayne Newton was also in a couple of episodes of Bonanza, playing a kid

who liked to sing but his pappy was against it. Something a little strange

about the whole thing. And that hairdo. Yikes.

I didn't even realize that Marty Allen was still alive. Whenever I think of

that hairdo, I think of a little toy motorcycle rider made in West Germany

that a  friend of the family gave me. It had a reddish clump of hair that

reminded me of Allen.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I think he would approve.

LOL. Wow. 95. I didnt know he was still alive.......