Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

818 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Chuck McCann (September 2, 1934 - April 8, 2018)

I'll probably always best remember him for a commercial.

hqdefault.jpg

"Hi guy."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Chuck McCann (September 2, 1934 - April 8, 2018) - American comedian, actor, singer, and voice artist with a career stretching across 7 decades. He started out in regional children's television, eventually moving into nationally broadcast shows, guest spots, and film roles, including movies such as The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1968), The Projectionist (1971), Herbie Rides Again (1974), Foul Play (1978), Thrashin' (1986), Storyville (1992), and Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995), among many more. He appeared even more frequently on television, and became a very busy voice artist in animated TV series. He amassed 163 credits in his career.

Well, this takes me back to my childhood. McCann used to do a great impression of Oliver Hardy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Well, this takes me back to my childhood. McCann used to do a great impression of Oliver Hardy.

Sad news and yes takes me back to my childhood. Chuck McCann was always so much fun to watch. Cheerful, sweet, funny guy.

RIP Chuck McCann

4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sad news and yes takes me back to my childhood. Chuck McCann was always so much fun to watch. Cheerful, sweet, funny guy.

RIP Chuck McCann

I'll have to watch The Projectionist again to commemorate.

the-projectionist.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2018 at 2:01 PM, TomJH said:

I'll probably always best remember him for a commercial.

hqdefault.jpg

"Hi guy."

A classic!  MONA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2018 at 9:49 PM, LawrenceA said:

Susan Anspach (November 23, 1942 - April 2, 2018) - American actress of stage and screen, primarily in the 1970's and 1980's. After a handful of TV appearances in the late 60's, Anspach made her movie debut in 1970's The Landlord. This was followed by perhaps her best known role, opposite Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces (1970). Other films included Play It Again Sam (1972), Blume in Love (1973), Running (1979), The Devil and Max Devlin (1981), Montenegro (1981), and Misunderstood (1984). She amassed some 45 credits in her career. 

anspach_susan.jpg

susan-anspach.jpg

VERY sorry to hear this. She seemed poised for stardom in the 70s but it never really happened for some reason. :(

Tim O'Connor (July 3, 1927 - April 5, 2018) - American character actor in film and television, specializing in authority figures. His first film appearance was in the 1949 Bowery Boys movie Master Minds, but O'Connor found the greatest success in television, with lengthy roles on Peyton Place, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and Dynasty. Other movie appearances include The Groundstar Conspiracy (1972), Across 110th Street (1972), Sssssss (1973), and The Naked Gun 2 1/2 (1991). O'Connor amassed 120 credits in his 60 year career.

oconnor-peyton.jpg?w=240

tve13023-19790927-1575.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r-lee-ermey-dead-golden-globe-nominee-full-metal-jacket-was-74-1102863

ermey.jpg

The news was announced via his official Twitter account by his longtime manager.

R. Lee Ermey, a Golden Globe-nominated actor best known for his role as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket, has died.

Ermey, whose nickname was "The Gunny," died Sunday morning from complications of pneumonia. He was 74.

The news was announced via his official twitter account by his longtime manager, Bill Rogin, who wrote: "It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ermey reportedly wrote half of his character's lines in "Full Metal Jacket." Sgt. Hartman will always be one of the movies' unforgettable drill instructors.

Related image

• Like 2

Verne Troyer (January 1, 1969 - April 21, 2018) - Diminutive actor and stuntman Verne Troyer has died. He's perhaps best known for his role as "Mini-Me" in the Austin Powers films, an accidentally shrunken clone of the films' arch-villain Dr. Evil (Mike Myers). Myers later said that the inspiration for the character had been the dwarf lookalike of Marlon Brando from 1996's The Island of Dr. Moreau

Troyer made his debut as a stunt double for an infant in 1994's Baby's Day Out. He amassed an impressive 57 film and television credits in his 24 year career. His personal life was reportedly very troubled, with multiple lawsuits against girlfriends, leaked sex tapes, and battles with alcoholism. A cause of death was not given, but he'd reportedly been battling depression for some time. 

miniyo2.jpg

151224195406-04-baby-new-year-large-169.

• Sad 1

Wow! I was thinking about Troyer only yesterday while looking at 1990s music videos on You Tube. See if you can spot him as Mini-Me from Madonna's 1999 "Beautiful Stranger" video.

Nelson Pereira dos Santos (October 22, 1928 - April 21, 2018) - Brazilian film director. His 1955 effort Rio 40 degrees started the Cinema Novo movement, with an emphasis on social realism. His best known film may be 1963's Vidas Secas, a portrait of impoverished Brazilians. That film was included in the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book series. Santos also directed 1971's How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman, a period piece about indigenous cannibals in the Amazon Basin.

nelsonthumb.jpg

208260.jpg

• Thanks 1

Philip D'Antoni (February 19, 1929 - April 15, 2018) - American movie producer and director. D'Antoni's output was limited but his few credits are favorites among fans of action films and police thrillers. He produced both Bullitt (1968) and The French Connection (1971), the latter of which earned him an Oscar when it won Best Picture. He followed that up by both producing and directing 1973's The Seven-Ups. All three films are noted for extraordinary chase sequences. D'Antoni later produced a few things for television before retiring from the industry.

a-man-wearing-a-suit-and-tie__596767_.jp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arthur B. Rubinstein (March 31, 1938 - April 23, 2018) - American composer and performer of film and television scores. His first credits were in the early 1970's on a string of made for TV features. As that decade closed out, Rubinstein used more and more synthesizers in his scores, helping to establish that sound as a defining characteristic of early-to-mid 80s entertainment. His film scores included Blue Thunder (1983), WarGames (1983), Deal of the Century (1983), Lost in America (1985), The Best of Times (1986), Stakeout (1987), and Nick of Time (1996). Rubinstein won an Emmy award for his scoring of the TV series Scarecrow and Mrs. King in 1983. He amassed 112 credits in his career.

59d9165a6e1669002c85bf35.jpg?h=250&w=250

• Thanks 1

Pamela Gidley (June 11, 1965 - April 16, 2018) - American actress in film and television. After winning the Wilhemina Modeling Agency's "Most Beautiful Girl in the World" contest in 1985, she began a modeling career as well as studying acting under Stella Adler. She made her screen debut in 1986's teen skateboarding cult favorite Thrashin'. Among her other films were Dudes (1987, and occasionally on TCM Underground), Cherry 2000 (1987), Permanent Record (1988), Highway to Hell (1991), Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), Freefall (1994), S.F.W. (1994), and Mafia! (1998). She also had reoccurring roles on the television series The Pretender and CSI. She amassed 44 credits in her 30 year career.

23+Gidley.jpg

510969035bfb9a8bb17cf00003ee6cda.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, LawrenceA said:

Pamela Gidley (June 11, 1965 - April 16, 2018)

510969035bfb9a8bb17cf00003ee6cda.jpg

I see that for some reason her death is being widely reported on the internet today, even though I read about it and posted this obit last Wednesday. Anyway, I keep seeing this link to a Fox News story about her death on news aggregate sites like Yahoo. The only problem is the actress pictured on their story is not Pamela Gidley. I'm not sure who it is, but I'm sure she doesn't appreciate it.

d26c2bf0-4c96-11e8-baf1-77758853368f_NTK

Ermanno Olmi (July 24, 1931 - May 7, 2018) - Italian writer and director with a 60 year career. He started out making short films and documentaries in the early 1950's before making his first scripted feature in 1959 with Time Stood Still. His next scripted film, 1961's Il Posto, was a major success, winning multiple awards around the world. His other films include I Fidanzati (1963), A Man Named John (1965), In the Summertime (1971), and perhaps his crowning achievement, 1978's The Tree of Wooden Clogs. Olmi amassed an incredible 92 directing credits.

olmi.jpg

ermanno_olmi.jpg

• Thanks 2

Just now checking in on my TCM account. So sad to read of Chuck McCann's passing. His children's show appearances were part of my childhood. Also I followed him on Facebook. It seemed that not too long ago, he did a FB live appearance. May Chuck RIP. :(😢

On 4/15/2018 at 2:51 PM, LawrenceA said:

Tim O'Connor (July 3, 1927 - April 5, 2018) - American character actor in film and television, specializing in authority figures. His first film appearance was in the 1949 Bowery Boys movie Master Minds, but O'Connor found the greatest success in television, with lengthy roles on Peyton Place, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and Dynasty. Other movie appearances include The Groundstar Conspiracy (1972), Across 110th Street (1972), Sssssss (1973), and The Naked Gun 2 1/2 (1991). O'Connor amassed 120 credits in his 60 year career.

oconnor-peyton.jpg?w=240

tve13023-19790927-1575.jpg

I remember seeing Tim O'Connor not too long ago on an old "Columbo" episode.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:14 PM, Hibi said:

So sorry to hear this! She had a memorable bit in an episode of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour from the same period. The Unlocked Window.

Always on TV during the 60s as a guest in one series or another! Seems as if she led a long fruitful life. May Ms. Latham RIP.😿

On 2/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, spence said:

God, "Mother's In-Law" was sooo awful!

Forget Deborah Walley: seeing the Seeds singing that song is a real blast from the past! ;D

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2018 at 12:55 AM, SansFin said:

David Ogden Stiers (1942–2018)

I will remember him for all time in The Cheap Detective (1978).

D O Stiers did a lot of voiceovers + narration on PBS documentaries. Had a good voice. May he RIP. Too many people seem to be dying "too soon."

Edited by chameleon
my post in wrong position

On 2/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, Barton_Keyes said:

Lewis Gilbert, who directed some of the most successful British films of the 1960s and 1970s, has died. He was 97. Credits include the WWII drama CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE (1958), the Michael Caine hits ALFIE (1966) and EDUCATING RITA (1983) and three James Bond films -- YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1967), THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977) and MOONRAKER (1983). 

See here for more: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/27/spy-who-loved-me-alfie-lewis-gilbert-dies-michael-caine-james-bond?CMP=twt_gu

I particularly liked "Alfie" and "Educating Rita," with Michael Caine. May Mr. Gilbert, who led a long life, RIP.

• Like 1

Joseph Campanella (November 21, 1924 - May 16, 2018) - American actor in film and television. Making his debut in television in the early 1950's, he appeared in drama anthologies, westerns, police shows, and more. He saw his first regular role in 1962's The Doctors and the Nurses. He also appeared in some films, such as The St. Valentine Day's MassacreBenMeteor, and many more. He amassed nearly 200 film and TV credits, along with Emmy nominations for his roles on Mannix and Days of Our Lives.

2581.jpg

joseph-campanella-4.23.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Joe Campanella had a regular role alongside James Farentino and Burl Ives on The Bold Ones: The Lawyers.

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 5.49.32 PM.jpg

And he played Barbara Stanwyck's love interest during the first season of The Colbys.

screen-shot-2018-05-16-at-5-50-05-pm.jpg

• Thanks 1