Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

542 posts in this topic

Joe Santos (1931-2016) best known as LAPD Sergeant Dennis Becker on the TV show The Rockford Files. He also appeared in many films from 1960's through 2010.

becker.jpg

I'd have to watch "The Rockford Files" again in sequence to be sure. But it always seemed to me that Dennis Becker was an inconsistent character during the series' run. Sometimes he was Jim Rockford's best friend and a supporter. Other times, he was a hard-nosed cop who was hardly a Rockford ally.

I'd have to watch "The Rockford Files" again in sequence to be sure. But it always seemed to me that Dennis Becker was an inconsistent character during the series' run. Sometimes he was Jim Rockford's best friend and a supporter. Other times, he was a hard-nosed cop who was hardly a Rockford ally.

Dennis Becker was Rockford's friend. But sometimes he lost patience with Jim, and the way Jim's often messy cases might make him look bad -- once Dennis gave Jim some vital info, but as Jim was leaving the office Dennis yelled, "Get out Rockford, and don't come back!", to save face with the other guys in the squad room. In at least one episode ("Chicken Little Is a Little Chicken") Dennis actually arrests Jim! Still Jim would stay loyal, even when Dennis was later framed for dealing drugs.

The two had their ups and downs, in what was a refreshingly three-dimensional relationship.

Dennis Becker was Rockford's friend. But sometimes he lost patience with Jim, and the way Jim's often messy cases might make him look bad -- once Dennis gave Jim some vital info, but as Jim was leaving the office Dennis yelled, "Get out Rockford, and don't come back!", to save face with the other guys in the squad room. In at least one episode ("Chicken Little Is a Little Chicken") Dennis actually arrests Jim! Still Jim would stay loyal, even when Dennis was later framed for dealing drugs.

The two had their ups and downs, in what was a refreshingly three-dimensional relationship.

Well, I'm sure it wasn't easy for Becker at the local L.A.P.D. precinct with Rockford-hating bosses like Lt. Diehl (Tom Atkins) and Lt. Chapman (James Luisi) around. But you'd  think Becker would have had total confidence in Rockford based on Jim's batting average for solving mysteries.

Maybe those ups and downs come with the territory when P.I.s and detectives are friends. I remember that Mike Hammer (Ralph Meeker) had a rocky relationship with his detective pal Pat (Wesley Addy) in the 1955 film "Kiss Me Deadly." 

Well, I'm sure it wasn't easy for Becker at the local L.A.P.D. precinct with Rockford-hating bosses like Lt. Diehl (Tom Atkins) and Lt. Chapman (James Luisi) around.

Chapman's distaste for Rockford was kind of a Joe Fridayish obsession with SOP and disdain for anyone or anything not connected to the LAPD. But Diehl seemed to have an almost pathological hatred of Rockford.

you would think Becker would have had total confidence in Rockford based on his batting average for solving mysteries.

Yes, but you also have to consider how many people around Rockford kept ending up dead. Jim was almost as devastating to the population of LA as Jessica Fletcher was to that of Cabot Cove.

Maybe those ups and downs come with the territory when P.I.s and detectives are friends. I remember that Mike Hammer (Ralph Meeker) had a rocky relationship with his detective pal Pat (Wesley Addy) in the 1955 film "Kiss Me Deadly."

It was a part of the genre. Every detective had his police contact. Mike Hammer had Pat Chambers, Peter Gunn had Lt Jacoby, Johnny Staccato had... Well, several guys, depending on which actor was available. Didn't Marlowe have a cop contact in the novels?

Westerns on the Web is reporting that Peter Brown of Lawman and Laredo died today at 80.  There's no news stories yet; I guess we'll know all by tomorrow.  

Some years back he spent a day on Encore Westerns hosting episodes of Cheyenne and Maverick he appeared in and giving interesting and amusing anecdotes about his co-stars and himself during that time at WB.  The one I remember most was about his being such an avid horseman that he rode his from his nearby home to the lot instead of driving a car when making Lawman.  That I'd like to have seen!  RIP, Mr. Brown.

Sadly, it's true.  This is what was on the internet.

Soap Alum Peter Brown Passes Away At 80

Soap star Peter Brown passed away on Monday March 21, the cause of the actor’s death is still unknown, he was 80 years old. Per Soap Opera Digest, the iconic actor’s close family friend made the sad announcement. A Brown family friend, Alison Reynolds, made the sad announcement on Twitter, she stated: “My dear friend, actor Peter Brown died today with his loving wife Kerstin by his side.”

Peter Brown appeared on not one, but four soap operas, NBC’s ‘Days Of Our Lives’ and CBS’s ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ and ‘The Young And The Restless.’ Peter starred on DOOL from 1972-1978 as Dr. Greg Peters. In 1986 he appeared on the now cancelled soap opera ‘One Life To Live’ as Charles Sanders. In 1991 he appeared as Robert Laurence on Y&R and as Blake Hayes on B&B.

Peter Brown’s impressive acting resume spans much farther than just our favorite daytime dramas – he actually began appearing in movies back in 1957 and acted regularly until he filmed his final movie “Hell To Pay” in 2005. Brown also had more than 50 television credits to his name, including some classic shows like “Dukes of Hazzards” and “Dallas.”

Soap Opera Spy would like to send our condolences to Peter’s wife Kerstin and their children. It truly is a sad day in Hollywood – and Peter Brown will be missed by many!

He was a soap star? I had no idea.  They didn't mention his movie or prime time work.  IMBD says he was married five times so perhaps this genre was a good fit for him. 

A memorable actor.  R.I.P. Peter

His official fan site hasn't been updated yet. It's HERE

Careful! One section, OUI Magazine Pictorial, contains partial nudity.

I remember Peter Brown the most from the 1974 movie 'ACT OF VENGEANCE' (aka:  Ra pe  Squad).

He plays a psycho who wears an orange prison jumpsuit and gets off on assaulting women and making them sing 'Jingle Bells'.  He also wears a hockey mask long before Jason did! 

Not exactly a 'date movie'.   

Earl Hamner Jr. (1923-2016) had died. His semi-autobiographical novel Spencer's Mountain served as the basis for the 1963 film of the same name, as well as the long-running television series The Waltons (1972-1981). He also created the night time soap Falcon Crest (1981-1990).

To me, though, he will always be remembered as a writer on the classic television series The Twilight Zone. He wrote 8 episodes in total. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was the last living writer for that iconic TV show.

He was 92.

Earl Hamner Jr. (1923-2016) had died. His semi-autobiographical novel Spencer's Mountain served as the basis for the 1963 film of the same name, as well as the well-liked television series The Waltons (1972-1981). He also created the night time soap Falcon Crest (1981-1990).

To me, though, he will always be remembered as a writer on the classic television series The Twilight Zone. He wrote 8 episodes in total. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was the last living writer for that iconic TV show.

He was 92.

I love The Twilight Zone.

Rest In Peace, sir.

One of the best Hamner episodes of "The Twilight Zone" is "The Hunt," which was first aired by CBS during Season 3 in January 1962. Arthur Hunnicutt plays backwoodsman Hyder Simpson, who refuses to enter the Gates of Heaven because his hound dog Rip isn't permitted to go with him. It turns out to be a good move.

Donny-from-Voodo.jpg

Dexter Dupont, Arthur Hunnicutt in the Season 3 episode "The Hunt"

One of the best Hamner episodes of "The Twilight Zone" is "The Hunt," which was first aired by CBS during Season 3 in January 1962. Arthur Hunnicutt plays backwoodsman Hyder Simpson, who refuses to enter the Gates of Heaven because his hound dog Rip isn't permitted to go with him. It turns out to be a good move.

That's always been one of my favorite episodes.

Richard Bradford has died. He was a busy actor, maintaining a career spanning 40 years, with roles in films such as The Chase (1966), The Missouri Breaks (1976), An Enemy of the People (1978), A Trip to Bountiful (1985), The Untouchables (1987), The Crossing Guard (1995), and many more, amassing over 80 film and television credits. He was 78.

4123-395347.jpg

Richard Bradford has died. A busy actor with a career spanning 40 years, with roles in films such as The Chase (1966), The Missouri Breaks (1976), An Enemy of the People (1978), A Trip to Bountiful (1985), The Untouchables (1987), The Crossing Guard (1995), and many more, amassing over 80 film and television credits. He was 78.

One of Bradford's finest performances was in "The Milagro Beanfield War" (1988), the second film directed by Robert Redford. Bradford played Ladd Devine, Jr., a ruthless land developer who wants to begin building on properties in the impoverished town of Milagro, New Mexico. When Devine's all-important water flow is diverted accidentally to the property of a defiant resident named Joe Mondragon (Chick Vennera), it sparks a major controversy in the town. Things get worse when Mondragon begins using Devine's water to irrigate a beanfield. Melanie Griffith co-starred as Bradford's wife.

292064_full.jpg

Griffith and Bradford in "The Milagro Beanfield War" (1988)

Richard Bradford has died. He was a busy actor, maintaining a career spanning 40 years, with roles in films such as The Chase (1966), The Missouri Breaks (1976), An Enemy of the People (1978), A Trip to Bountiful (1985), The Untouchables (1987), The Crossing Guard (1995), and many more, amassing over 80 film and television credits. He was 78.

4123-395347.jpg

Bradford also played the lead in the pilot for hit TV series Medical Center. He was replaced for the series itself by Chad Everett. I wonder if this was b/c of Bradford going for the Jeff Chandler-ish premature gray look?

Bradford has something of a cult following in the UK due to his starring in the late '60s spy series Man In A  Suitcase. I've never seen it -- anyone here familiar with that show?

James Noble

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/arts/television/james-noble-absent-minded-governor-on-benson-

dies-at-94.html?_r=0

XY8n53g.jpg

qkPgLx2.jpg

James Noble, the actor best known for his role as the absent-minded governor on the hit 1980s sitcom “Benson,” died on Monday at Norwalk Hospital in Connecticut. He was 94.

From 1979 to 1986, Mr. Noble played Eugene Gatling, the well-meaning but somewhat bumbling governor of an unnamed state, on the ABC series “Benson.”

His best-known film role was as the Rev. John Witherspoon in 1776. I hadn't known he played John Hancock in the Broadway production.

http://variety.com/2016/film/people-news/actress-margaret-blye-dead-dies-1201741095/

Houston-born actress Margaret "Maggie" Blye has did at the age of 73.

kfTy9Gp.jpg

Every obit I've seen leads with her playing Michael Caine's girlfriend in The Italian Job:

8Is0B3z.jpg

But IMHO her best roles were in two 1967 westerns:

With James Coburn in the offbeat black comedy Waterhole  #3:

tEuuWVa.jpg

And as the flirtatious newlywed on the stagecoach in the classic Hombre:

VTdYsRZ.jpg

http://variety.com/2016/film/people-news/actress-margaret-blye-dead-dies-1201741095/

Houston-born actress Margaret "Maggie" Blye has did at the age of 73.

kfTy9Gp.jpg

Every obit I've seen leads with her playing Michael Caine's girlfriend in The Italian Job:

8Is0B3z.jpg

But IMHO her best roles were in two 1967 westerns:

With James Coburn in the offbeat black comedy Waterhole  #3:

tEuuWVa.jpg

And as the flirtatious newlywed on the stagecoach in the classic Hombre:

VTdYsRZ.jpg

I'm a big fan of Hombre.  Thanks for the information.

Regarding Margaret Blye:

The article said that when she was cast in Summer and Smoke she did not recognize Geraldine Page and asked her what part she played.  Rather than acting offended Ms. Page told her she was Alma and realizing this woman was new to the business became a mentor.  This was class; Ms. Blye learned from the best. RIP! 

I remember RICHARD BRADFORD, JAMES NOBLE and MAGGIE BLYE very well.  I reckon we all have to shuffle off this mortal coil at some time, but better later than sooner.  Rest In Peace.

I noted Maggie Blye had appeared on 'IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT' with Carroll O'Connor and I recall she played his daughter in the non-PC 1967 Western comedy 'WATERHOLE #3'.  When she complains to James Coburn about him having his way with her he replies "Assault with a friendly weapon?".  Then she goes to her dad O'Connor and says "But what about my ra pe"?  And he says "A man takes his pleasure from the nearest tree; if you weren't my own daughter . . . ". 

Lil' sidenote:  After reading the Variety obituary of Maggie Blye I hadn't known the 'Casting Director' Judy Blye Wilson was her sister.  Judy Blye Wilson was married (in 1975) to an up-and-coming character actor who appeared in a spate of popular movies and television programs between 1984-89.  I bet most of y'all would remember TREY WILSON if you saw him.  He had a craggy face that looked older than his years.  Like Maggie Blye, he was born in Houston, TX.  I remember he died at age 40 on Jan. 16, 1989 of a cerebral hemorrhage in NYC five days before his 41st birthday.  He was about to go to Louisiana to work on the film MILLER'S CROSSING in a part the Coen Brothers had written specifically for him.  I believe Albert Finney ended up playing the part. 

I remember the first movie I saw Maggie Blye in:  THE ENTITY (1982). 

Lil' sidenote:  After reading the Variety obituary of Maggie Blye I hadn't known the 'Casting Director' Judy Blye Wilson was her sister.  Judy Blye Wilson was married (in 1975) to an up-and-coming character actor who appeared in a spate of popular movies and television programs between 1984-89.  I bet most of y'all would remember TREY WILSON if you saw him.  He had a craggy face that looked older than his years.  Like Maggie Blye, he was born in Houston, TX.  I remember he died at age 40 on Jan. 16, 1989 of a cerebral hemorrhage in NYC five days before his 41st birthday.  He was about to go to Louisiana to work on the film MILLER'S CROSSING in a part the Coen Brothers had written specifically for him.  I believe Albert Finney ended up playing the part.    

Trey Wilson died way too soon. He was coming into his own as a name character actor when he died. I'll always remember him as the exasperated manager of the minor league baseball team in "Bull Durham":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIaqAsnSxU

He also appeared as Pat Benatar's father at the beginning of her memorable 1983 "Love Is a Battlefield" video, directed by Bob Giraldi ("Beat It," "Say Say Say"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjY_uSSncQw

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35934024

Entertainer Ronnie Corbett, best known for BBC comedy sketch show The Two Ronnies, has died aged 85.

lBKPi9X.jpg

Scottish-born Corbett started his TV comedy career on David Frost's satirical comedy the Frost Report in 1966.

It was here he first worked with Barker, although they had met before, and formed the duo whose TV sketch show became a British TV classic, regularly cited by the public as one of their enduring favourites and by other comics as a big influence on their careers.

The Two Ronnies ran from 1971 to 1987 and saw the comedians take part in musical performances and sketches.

Speaking to The Telegraph about how well they got on in 2013 he said of Barker: "We were a real couple with matching tastes and styles.

"Of course we were quite different but somehow we fitted so well together. I think it's a more pleasant and palatable thing to see people being funny together because you're touching areas of truth. Dinner parties or falling out with people - it's the naturalness of it."

The programme won a Bafta in 1972 for best light entertainment performance and was staple viewing for much of the UK audience on a Saturday night, with more than 15 million viewers.

-----------

The class sketch:

https://youtu.be/4VxkltwS9g0