Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

946 posts in this topic

In the original "Freaky Friday" (1976), Harris and the young Jodie Foster played a mother and daughter who magically swapped bodies for a day. The film, which has been remade several times, was a showcase for Harris' brilliant style of physical comedy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jakeem said:

Loved her as the "phony" psychic in Sir Alfred Hitchcock's 1976 mystery/thriller "Family Plot." It was the last film by The Master of Suspense.

Yes, DITTO!

9 hours ago, jakeem said:

Harris also had a chance to show off her talent as a singer in the final moments of "Nashville," Robert Altman's 1975 Best Picture-nominated musical dramedy. She was a part of a large ensemble that included Ned Beatty, Karen Black, Ronee Blakley, Keith Carradine, Geraldine Chaplin, Shelley Duvall, Henry Gibson, Scott Glenn, Jeff Goldblum, Lily Tomlin and Michael Murphy.

YES. She had a small part, but PIVOTAL, as she had to carry off the ending, and she did beautifully. Very funny, as well

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

In 1966, Harris received a Tony nomination for her starring role as Daisy Gamble in the musical "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever." That same year, she and co-star John Cullum appeared on the NBC concert series The Bell Telephone Hour. The episode, hosted by Cyril Ritchard, was a salute to the lyricist Alan Jay Lerner.

And she won for The Apple Tree a few years before (or after?)

22 hours ago, Hibi said:

And she won for The Apple Tree a few years before (or after?)

She won the 1967 Tony for Best Actress in a Musical the year after her nomination for "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" (pictured below). The 1966 Tony was won by Dame Angela Lansbury for her bravura performance in "Mame."

Image result for barbara harris tony win

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:23 AM, jakeem said:

In 1966, Harris received a Tony nomination for her starring role as Daisy Gamble in the musical "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever." That same year, she and co-star John Cullum appeared on the NBC concert series The Bell Telephone Hour. The episode, hosted by Cyril Ritchard, was a salute to the lyricist Alan Jay Lerner.

I always liked Harris too!

I didnt say what the year was. Just that she won for The Apple Tree.

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I didnt say what the year was. Just that she won for The Apple Tree.

That's why I said what the year was.

Robin Leach, the London-born newsman who hosted the long-running syndicated television series "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (1984-1995), died Friday. He would have observed his 77th birthday on Wednesday.

Leach became well-known in America as a correspondent for "Entertainment Tonight" after its premiere in 1981. Three years later, he left to start "Lifestyles," which focused on the interesting lives and extravagances of wealthy celebrities and business moguls. Leach customarily signed off episodes with his signature line about "champagne wishes and caviar dreams."

In 2014, Leach discussed the origins of "Lifestyles" in a segment of "Oprah: Where Are They Now?" on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

• Thanks 2

On 8/22/2018 at 10:29 AM, Hibi said:

Yes, DITTO!

I always liked her so much! Didn't she also play the mother in "Peggy Sue Got Married"? That was one of the last times I saw her in a film. She had a unique quality and will be missed. Thanks for the update.

John Carter, a pioneer African-American film editor, has died at the age of 95. The Hollywood Reporter announced Friday that he died August 13 at his home in White Plains, New York. 

He was the first African-American to join the American Cinema Editors society.

Carter was the co-editor for the 1970 documentary "King: A Filmed Record... Montgomery to Memphis," which received an Academy Award nomination.

Among his other film credits: "Paper Lion" (1968), "The Heartbreak Kid" (1972), "Mikey and Nicky" (1976), "Between the Lines" (1977), "The Formula" (1980), "Lean on Me" (1988), "The Karate Kid, Part III" (1989), "Boomerang" (1992), "Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit" (1993), "Friday" (1995), "Set It Off" (1996), "The Wood" (1999), "Men of Honor" (2000), "Barbershop" (2002), "Johnson Family Reunion" (2004) and "Madea's Family Reunion" (2006).

Image result for john carter film editor

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-carter-dead-pioneering-african-american-film-editor-was-95-1137275?utm_source=twitter

• Thanks 3

Whenever an historical character popped up on "Bewitched," dotty old Aunt Clara (played by the Emmy Award winning actress Marion Lorne) was often the culprit.

The British actress Liz Fraser, who played memorable blondes in the popular "Carry On" series of comedy films, died Thursday in London. She had observed her 88th birthday on August 14.

Image result for liz fraser

Her first major film role was in "I'm All Right Jack," the 1959 comedy that made Peter Sellers a star. Fraser, who played Sellers' daughter in the film, received a BAFTA nomination for Most Promising Newcomer to Film.

She appeared in "Carry On Regardless" (1961), "Carry On Cruising" (1962) and "Carry On Cabby" (1963), but she ran afoul of producer Peter Rogers after she declared that the series could be better marketed. As a result, she didn't appear in another "Carry On" film until "Carry On Behind" (1975).

Among her other films: "Two-Way Stretch" (1960, another comedy with Sellers), "The Americanization of Emily" (1964) and "The Family Way" (1966).

Fraser also appeared in numerous television series during her long career. In a 1966 episode of "The Avengers" titled "The Girl from Auntie," she played Georgie Price-Jones -- an actress who helped John Steed (Patrick Macnee, pictured below) find his kidnapped partner Emma Peel (Dame Diana Rigg).

Image result for liz fraser the avengers

• Thanks 4

Actor Christopher Lawford, son of Peter Lawford is dead...

I recently heard that Peter Lawford 's son Christopher Lawford died Tuesday night of a heart attack after a yoga class. He was 63 years old.

Christopher was an advocate for addiction having been a victim of that himself for a number of years.

He wrote and lectured about  how to overcome addiction.

He also worked as an actor, primarily on General Hospital, All My Children and appeared in Terminator 3.

His mother was Patricia Kennedy Lawford, a sister of former President John F Kennedy.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Is Pat dead too?

I can't recall exactly when but it was a few years back that Pat died.

All the Kennedy sisters and brothers are dead except for Jean Kennedy Smith..

Jean was the youngest daughter, but Teddy was the youngest child.

Thanks. I couldn't remember if any of them still survived.

At least she was spared her son dying before her.......

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Actor Christopher Lawford, son of Peter Lawford is dead...

I recently heard that Peter Lawford 's son Christopher Lawford died Tuesday night of a heart attack after a yoga class. He was 63 years old.

Christopher was an advocate for addiction having been a victim of that himself for a number of years.

He wrote and lectured about  how to overcome addiction.

He also worked as an actor, primarily on General Hospital, All My Children and appeared in Terminator 3.

His mother was Patricia Kennedy Lawford, a sister of former President John F Kennedy.

Chris also had a featured part as a Bonneville Salt Flats racer in one of the best motorcycle-themed movies ever made, 2005's The World's Fastest Indian, starring Anthony Hopkins.

(...it's a very good film that one doesn't have to be into motorcycling to enjoy...trust me)

• Thanks 1

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bill-daily-dead-dies-major-healey-i-dream-of-jeannie-1202933026/

Bill Daily who played Major Healy on I Dream of Jeannie passed away on September 4 at the age of 91.  I believe that Barbara Eden is now the sole surviving actor from the show. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Daily also starred in "The Bob Newhart Show" during the 1970s. His 91st birthday was on August 30.

There was a unique aspect to his co-starring role in "I Dream of Jeannie," which aired on NBC from 1965 to 1970. His character -- U.S. Air Force Captain (later Major) Roger Healey -- was let in on the secret that his best friend (Larry Hagman) had a magic genie (Eden) around the house.

Image result for bill daily i dream of jeannie

In "The Bob Newhart Show" (1972-1978), Daily played airline co-pilot Howard Borden, a neighbor of Chicago psychologist Bob Hartley (Newhart). In real life, Daily and Newhart were longtime friends before they achieved success in show business.

Image result for bill daily bob newhart

One of the all-time great supporting actors.

An actor with whom I worked, knew Bill Daily from NEWHART, told me two things about him.  He was the nicest guy and he was a real ladies man. The second fact kind of surprised me based solely on the type of characters he played. Apparently nice guys make out OK too! (No pun intended.)

I really enjoyed all his performances. I've always been disappointed I never had a chance to meet him to say so.

RIP Mr. Daily, thanks for the laughs.

On September 7, 2018 at 10:15 AM, jakeem said:

The British actress Liz Fraser, who played memorable blondes in the popular "Carry On" series of comedy films, died Thursday in London. She had observed her 88th birthday on August 14.

Image result for liz fraser

Her first major film role was in "I'm All Right Jack," the 1959 comedy that made Peter Sellers a star. Fraser, who played Sellers' daughter in the film, received a BAFTA nomination for Most Promising Newcomer to Film.

hd_001bw.jpg?itok=UHrgPVOb

Liz Fraser was terrific as Peter Sellers' daughter in I'm All Right Jack.  Sexy Liz was the spindle polisher at the factory.  R.I.P. dear lady.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

One of the all-time great supporting actors.

An actor with whom I worked, knew Bill Daily from NEWHART, told me two things about him.  He was the nicest guy and he was a real ladies man. The second fact kind of surprised me based solely on the type of characters he played. Apparently nice guys make out OK too! (No pun intended.)

I really enjoyed all his performances. I've always been disappointed I never had a chance to meet him to say so.

RIP Mr. Daily, thanks for the laughs.

Bill Daily also had a great guest star performance on an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  In the episode, Bill plays a candidate running for some city office in Minneapolis.  However, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, in fact, he makes Ted Baxter look like a genius.  WJM books him as a guest for an upcoming Q&A show, not knowing that he wasn't too bright. The premise of WJM's show is that audience members will ask candidate Daily various questions.  Mary, along with Daily's two assistants, work with him to try and groom him into being able to give intelligent answers to his questions. 

Daily has an especially funny dialogue with Rhoda in this episode.  Rhoda is wearing a Vikings sweatshirt.  Daily looks at her chest (where "Vikings" is written) and says something about "they're looking good this year." Rhoda thinks he's talking about her chest, Daily of course, is talking about the team. 

Sad to hear about Bill Daily. FETV on DirecTV just started to run the Bob Newhart Show

a few weeks ago and Daily is hilarious as Howard Borden. I don't think I've seen the show

in about twenty years. The Mary Tyler Moore Show comes on right after Newhart, though

both have a lot of cuts. MTM is also on YT without any cuts. People have remarked in the

comments section that they noticed Mary had the Woodstock album in front of her record

collection. This is during the season when she moved into her new apartment. I was watching

a few days ago and now the Physical Graffiti album is in the front. Who knew that Mary

Richards was a Zeppelin fan.