cigarjoe

Addicted to Noir

7 posts in this topic

Anybody else out there so addicted to Noir that when they can't get enough they make their own? My wife and I play around with taking photographic stills, video, etc., etc., with previously mostly point and shoot cameras and putting it all together, witting, acting etc., in small Noir & Neo Noir homage videos.

I call it Minema (cinema for the small screen), they are a lot of fun to do.

here are a few examples:

The first one we did  "Tony Mars A Case of Murphy's Law" uses mostly still photographs of Hudson, NY ( it filled in for Melton in Odds Against Tomorrow)

A Case Of Murphy's Law https://vimeo.com/31503674

Later we incorporated more video as we got better at using it. Here is one we shot in Seattle.

She Breezed https://vimeo.com/48912233 

• Like 4

I definitely do. I'm so obsessed that I'm developing a dissertation around crime novels/detective fiction/film noir. I'll be applying to UC Santa Cruz for my PhD so that I can continue my research and study. 

I am considering going into photography (just as a hobby) to create my own noir photo collection. I model on occasion, and I prefer the noir style. My avatar is actually me from a recent noir photoshoot.

• Like 3

I have to say that since getting hooked on noir, I am dressing better.   :)   Now it's always French Cuffs and a blazer for me.   :D

• Like 2

I definitely do. I'm so obsessed that I'm developing a dissertation around crime novels/detective fiction/film noir. I'll be applying to UC Santa Cruz for my PhD so that I can continue my research and study. 

I am considering going into photography (just as a hobby) to create my own noir photo collection. I model on occasion, and I prefer the noir style. My avatar is actually me from a recent noir photoshoot.

I have loved classic films (from the 30's through the 50's) ever since I was 8 or 9 watching with my big sister on TV.  - Soon we knew who not only all the main stars were, but their co-stars too!  When we first had AMC years later it was wonderful to discover that many of my favorite stars of the 40's and 50's had been 30's actors or actresses too!  So I re- discovered Bette Davis's, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Claudette Colbert, Loretta Young, etc.  These wonderful stars and many others had starred in masterpieces earlier,  It was wonderful to see these films too!    When AMC went by the wayside and pretty much stopped showing older films, it was hard to look into the TV Guide and say "There's nothing on!"   ANd then  TCM came into the picture.  As you can imagine, I have loved it from the start.  However, I do get a little worried when they show the same film too many times and also when they seem to showcase the 70's or 80's.   THen I know that our wonderful older films could be in jeopardy.

About ten years ago I got into Film Noir -- absolutely addicted!  Lizabeth Scott was great as a bad girl with Charlton Heston

(Bad for Each Other),   Too Late for Tears with Dan Duryea and several oher great film noir!  

James Mason was superb in the 40's film noir Odd Man Out. His fine performance as a penitent robber who accidentally shoots a man in a banking firm will long be remembered.   His agonizing odyssey as he stumbles through the snowy streets of Ireland is very engrossing as he encounters many "friends" who want something from him..  His lovely and devoted girlfriend Kathleen (Kathleen Ryan) attempts to have him escape and argues with a priest, Father Tom,  that her great love for Johnny can save him.  She fears an implacable police officer who is after Johnny and says she will be in trouble for deceiving the police.  Meanwhile a nearby clocktower is ticking off the remaining minutes of Johnny's life as he continues on.  Ultimately Kathleen encounters Johnny in the snow and settles the matter once and for all.  A meaningful film with a surprise ending that differs from the novel.

There are many fine film noir from Britain;  Corridor of Mirrors, Guilt is My Shadow, Crow Hollow, to name a couple of favorites.  Today I do love The Reckless Moment with James Mason and Joan Bennett.  It is a great film noir in which James Mason plays a suave and handsome blackmailer who falls in love with his victim, Joan Bennett.

a suave and handsome blackmailer.

• Like 3