traceyk65

Favorite movie fashions?

9 posts in this topic

Came across this and made me think--what are your favorite movie fashions? I love the Dior New Look of movies like June Bride and Rear Window (that is Dior, right? or Dior inspired, but actually made by Edith head?) and pretty much everything Hepburn wore in Woman of the Year.

http://flavorwire.com/523121/50-fashionable-film-noir-moments

fashiondavis_zpsvjkisjrl.png

fashionrear_zpsci3hckjn.png

fashionkate_zps4r1qijyx.png

My favorite movie fashions are in films made during the 30's and 40's. I love the women's gowns and hats in both decades, and especially the women's suits during the 40's. I love the pajama type pants from the thirties - love watching everything that Ginger Rogers wore in all her films with Fred Astaire. In fact, I think that Ginger Rogers wore the greatest fashions of anyone else in film. Ginger looked fabulous in everything.

My favorite is the shoes. Crawford and Davis always wore gorgeous shoes usually with a nice heel (not spikes or the skinny ankle benders). They had high straps and were sexy. Plus they could actually walk in them. The soles bent with the foot. No thick wedge soles. The first time I noticed the shoes was in Mildred Pierce, when she's sitting on the ladder.

• Like 1

I love the clothes from the 30s-60s movies. 

Women wore some really wild hats and outfits in the 1930s. 

Some of my favorites:

Myrna Loy's wild striped dress from The Thin Man

dress4.jpg

Katharine Hepburn's (what I can only hope is gold lamé, it has to be, right?) dress with the transparent veil in Bringing Up Baby.

b274002c981b5d5f5bf189447a7e4f65.jpg

Humphrey Bogart's white dinner jacket in Casablanca

CASABLANCA-7.jpg

Errol Flynn's costumes in The Adventures of Don Juan

9297814_6_l.jpg

There are not many men in Hollywood who look as good in period clothing as Errol Flynn.  The man can wear tights.  The man can wear a cape. 

The man can even wear a union suit evidenced in Gentleman Jim.

GENTLEMAN_JIM-19.jpg

But I digress.

Errol Flynn wore some very beautiful costumes in the aforementioned The Adventures of Don Juan.  He also wore the best looking Robin Hood costume ever.

The-Adventures-of-Robin-Hood-old-robin-h

Many of the ladies fashions from the '30's and '40's, but not all..I guess "pre-shoulder pads".

And men's hats from the late '30's through the '40's and a bit into the 1950's.  SOME of their suits, but not all.  (probably lean towards the "three piece" and "double breasted".

Sepiatone

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 2:53 PM, MarshaKatz said:

My favorite movie fashions are in films made during the 30's and 40's. I love the women's gowns and hats in both decades, and especially the women's suits during the 40's. I love the pajama type pants from the thirties - love watching everything that Ginger Rogers wore in all her films with Fred Astaire. In fact, I think that Ginger Rogers wore the greatest fashions of anyone else in film. Ginger looked fabulous in everything.

Ginger looked so beautiful in some of her gowns she wore when dancing with Astaire. I loved those beautiful floorlength gowns that a lot of 1930s women wore while attending parties, dances, and balls.

Another thing I've noticed about a lot of 1930s films is that women singing in those beautiful opera voices while wearing beautiful floorlength dresses often went together. Several examples of that include in Marx bros film "Day at the races" during the "On blue Venison waters" number, there's a group of beauties sitting by the water wearing big long beautiful gowns while singing a line operatticly very beautifully. Another example is in Judy Garlands "Everybody sing", the back row of beautiful women in some very very long wide gowns singing the opening of one of the show numbers singing operatticly very beautifully. Another example is in "Dames" during "I only have eyes for you" during the part of the number with Ruby Keeler and all of the showgirls dressed and hairstyled just like Ruby, the girls are all wearing beautiful white floorlength gowns while singing operatticly very beautifully there too. And I have about 10 more similar examples, women in long floorlength gowns with opera singing voices went together hand in hand almost every time in 1930s films.

• Like 1