• Susan Sarandon
  • Jane Fonda
  • Sigourney Weaver
  • Kate Winslet
  • Rachel Weisz
  • Scarlett Johansson
  • Emma Stone
  • Like 1

This is hard....limiting to only leading performers to keep it simple, even though I would love to acknowledge Thelma Ritter, Angela Lansbury, Eve Arden, Madeline Kahn, Edna May Oliver, Mary Wickes, Joan Blondell, among others.. Also, I need to explore some careers in more depth even though I am already  impressed by them (Ida Lupino, Sylvia Sidney, Jean Simmons, Gene Tierney, Rita Hayworth, Susan Hayward, Eleanor Parker)

Classic Era/Actresses of the Past

Bette Davis

Greta Garbo

Ginger Rogers

Runners-up: Jean Arthur, Lauren Bacall, Anne Bancroft,  Ingrid Bergman, Claudette Colbert,  Joan Crawford, Marion Davies, Doris Day, Olivia de Havilland, Marie Dressler, Irene Dunne,  Judy Garland, Greer Garson, Jean Harlow, Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Jennifer Jones,  Grace Kelly, Deborah Kerr, Vivien Leigh, Carole Lombard,  Myrna Loy, Kim Novak, Debbie Reynolds, Rosalind Russell,  Norma Shearer, Barbara Stanwyck,  Elizabeth Taylor, Mae West, Natalie Wood, Jane Wyman

Modern/Active

Julie Andrews

Shirley MacLaine

Maggie Smith

Runners-up: Kathy Bates, Annette Bening, Carol Burnett, Cate Blanchett, Ellen Burstyn, Glenn Close,  Judy Davis, Judi Dench, Catherine Deneuve, Faye Dunaway, Mia Farrow, Sally Field, Jane Fonda, Jodie Foster, Whoopi Goldberg, Sally Hawkins  Goldie Hawn, Holly Hunter, Diane Keaton, Nicole Kidman, Keira Knightley, Diane Lane, Jessica Lange, Marsha Mason, Frances McDormand, Bette Midler,  Helen Mirren,  Julianne Moore, Michelle Pfeiffer, Vanessa Redgrave, Julia Roberts, Saoirse Ronan,  Susan Sarandon, Sissy Spacek, Emma Stone, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, Kathleen Turner, Sigourney Weaver, Debra Winger, Kate Winslet, Renee Zellweger

My picks are:

Ingrid Bergman

Barbara Stanwyck

Bette Davis

I think that Ingrid Bergman was ahead of her time... I also like Irene Dunn, Gene Tierney, Eleanor Parker, Eve Arden, Thelma Ritter, and more.

On 11/4/2015 at 11:23 AM, NickAndNora34 said:

1. Myrna Loy

2. Ida Lupino

3. Vivien Leigh

*updated* (as of this moment in time) 

1. Bette Davis 

2. Katharine Hepburn

3. Carol Burnett

Runners up: Madeline Kahn, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Angela Lansbury, Carole Lombard. 

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, LawrenceA said:

Classic film actresses:

• Myrna Loy
  • Gene Tierney
  • Bette Davis

Runner-Ups -

• Barbara Stanwyck
  • Katharine Hepburn
  • Olivia de Havilland
  • Marlene Dietrich

Modern/still active:

• Meryl Streep
  • Diane Keaton
  • Cate Blanchett

Runner-Ups:

• Susan Sarandon
  • Jane Fonda
  • Sigourney Weaver
  • Kate Winslet
  • Rachel Weisz
  • Scarlett Johansson
  • Emma Stone

Great again LawrenceA,  overall for me is 

Natalie Wood

Garbo

*Katharine Hepburn

& the greatest I've seen>

*Streep, Garbo, *Kate Hepburn

but the majority of critics usually vote for *Bergman

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, LawrenceA said:

Classic film actresses:

• Myrna Loy
  • Gene Tierney
  • Bette Davis

Runner-Ups -

• Barbara Stanwyck
  • Katharine Hepburn
  • Olivia de Havilland
  • Marlene Dietrich

Modern/still active:

• Meryl Streep
  • Diane Keaton
  • Cate Blanchett

Runner-Ups:

• Susan Sarandon
  • Jane Fonda
  • Sigourney Weaver
  • Kate Winslet
  • Rachel Weisz
  • Scarlett Johansson
  • Emma Stone

(TRIVIA: John Dillinger's favorite movie star was MYRNA LOY & he was coming out of her 1934 film "Manhattan Melodrama" when they got him

4 hours ago, spence said:

the greatest I've seen>

*Streep, Garbo, *Kate Hepburn

What to you mean by 'seen'?   I assumed on stage,  but then you put in Garbo (but without an '*').

Anyhow I have seen Kate Hepburn on stage when I was just 18 and it was a treat.  Really pushed me into overdrive as it relates to being interested in studio-era movies and actors.     It was in L.A. and after the performance she came out and talked about how she viewed Hollywood and La La Land.   She talked and talked and it was great.  She said things like 'some may believe I don't like the place' but she was all full of love for the audience and what Hollywood had done for and with her.    Unforgetable!

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

What to you mean by 'seen'?   I assumed on stage,  but then you put in Garbo (but without an '*').

Anyhow I have seen Kate Hepburn on stage when I was just 18 and it was a treat.  Really pushed me into overdrive as it relates to being interested in studio-era movies and actors.     It was in L.A. and after the performance she came out and talked about how she viewed Hollywood and La La Land.   She talked and talked and it was great.  She said things like 'some may believe I don't like the place' but she was all full of love for the audience and what Hollywood had done for and with her.    Unforgetable!

Don't exactly what you mean in regard to GARBO?

But personally & many of her contempories agree she was easily amount motion picture history's top 5 at least  (*k. Hepburn, *Jimmy Stewart, *Billy Wilder, F. Bartholmow, *Cukor, Maureen 0'Sulivan, Lubitsch, Clarence Brown & of course Gloria Swanson almost idolized her.   Her sole weakness, except of "Ninthcka" (l939 MGM) was comedy though & I never truly consider a genuine all-time great performer that can't handle both, shouldn't be rated ijn the top 5 or so. & most already are aware about her 2nd attempt at screwball comedy in 1941 "Two-Faced Woman" (MGM) (***) not a bad picture as many always reported, but no "Ninotcha"  But as I always recall *B., Wilder later said of Monroe, looking at the dailies of MM, he'd not seen that type of on screen voltage sine GARBO!

Just now, spence said:

Don't exactly what you mean in regard to GARBO?

But personally & many of her contempories agree she was easily amount motion picture history's top 5 at least  (*k. Hepburn, *Jimmy Stewart, *Billy Wilder, F. Bartholmow, *Cukor, Maureen 0'Sulivan, Lubitsch, Clarence Brown & of course Gloria Swanson almost idolized her.   Her sole weakness, except of "Ninthcka" (l939 MGM) was comedy though & I never truly consider a genuine all-time great performer that can't handle both, shouldn't be rated ijn the top 5 or so. & most already are aware about her 2nd attempt at screwball comedy in 1941 "Two-Faced Woman" (MGM) (***) not a bad picture as many always reported, but no "Ninotcha"  But as I always recall *B., Wilder later said of Monroe, looking at the dailies of MM, he'd not seen that type of on screen voltage sine GARBO!

WOW, you say *Kate on screen KUDOS!  *Tracy started out on the boards as they said to say, but attempted a huge flop return around 1948 in "The Rugged Path" & DESPISED IT & NEVER DID ANOTHER ON STAGE!  "His *Kate" as he dubbed her loved the a stage far more then the camera  Reporting our finest cinema actor immediately even got flop  spread.  Obviously what is overall-time greatest motion picture  had grown terrified on going back on the boards.  He always & highly preferred just filming in a studio after the 1930's  His big break however was in 1930's The Last Mile" on stage, as Killer Mears, so much so the ultra hard to places *John "Pappy" ford went to watch *Spencer nightly for about a week & immediately contracted him to Fox Studios & film debut in *Ford's pretty well-made comedy prison drama "Up the River" (Fox) (barely ***-out of 4)

Then he got nada but gangster roles in Fox-(1935 Fox)  i.e. "Quick Milions" (l931 a pic tcm never wants to air?

"20,000 Years at Sing" (l933-Warner Bros.) (***-good one) "Whipsaw" (l935-MGM) (***)  (QUESTION TO ME TCM INTE PALLS<> I virtually know all about him, but why did the studio screw up sooo bad & not caster *Spencer in the1930-31 version of "The Last Mile?" Preston Foster took the lead instead & though he was quite older-(he always appeared a long oler due to Binge Drinking) The 2nd rehase in '59 starring Mickey Rooney as Killer Spears?  IF YOU JNOW, PLEASE FILL ME IN???

& I THANK YOU

My three favorite actresses of all time are...

1.) Sheryl Lee

2.) Llyubov Orlova

3.) Elizabeth Taylor 

Setsuko Hara

Ingrid Bergman

Julie Andrews

... and maybe Zhang Ziyi lurking right around there.

DORIS DAY The best and most complete film star in the history of movies!

BETTE DAVIS Unbeatable actress and personality!

MARLENE DIETRICH Beauty, glamour and personality. A good actress to boot.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, Omar said:

DORIS DAY The best and most complete film star in the history of movies!

BETTE DAVIS Unbeatable actress and personality!

MARLENE DIETRICH Beauty, glamour and personality. A good actress to boot.

Welcome to the boards! 

19 hours ago, bluebirdsfly said:

Mine are:

- Judy Garland

- Natalie Wood

- Audrey Hepburn 

Welcome! 

YOU GUYS FORGOT THE WONDERFUL PARAMOUNT ACTRESS SUCH AS

PAULETTE GODDARD

MADELEINE CARrOLL

DOROTHY LAMOUR

CAROLE LOMBARD

CLAUDETTE COLBERT

VERONICA LAKE

AND THELMA TODD

\

Nowadays, people do not see too may Paramount films as I did at earlier decades. You are missing so much