camarks

Bogart Film Festival

10 posts in this topic

Wondering if there are other film festivals like this in the US besides the Bogart one? My hubby and I have been wanting to attend this one for a couple years but the dates never line up right! Hopefully next year!

http://bogartfilmfestival.com/

Where in the States are you? Stanford Theatre (Palo Alto, CA) usually has one once in a long blue moon. Their last one was 2 years ago. I would love to to the Florida festival but it is the same week as a 4-day conference for English Educators, and my attendance is mandatory.  :(

i was looking at the key largo fest, too, but it also coincides with a convention i want to attend and will probably participate in

Wondering if there are other film festivals like this in the US besides the Bogart one? My hubby and I have been wanting to attend this one for a couple years but the dates never line up right! Hopefully next year!

http://bogartfilmfestival.com/

Where in the States are you? Stanford Theatre (Palo Alto, CA) usually has one once in a long blue moon. Their last one was 2 years ago. I would love to to the Florida festival but it is the same week as a 4-day conference for English Educators, and my attendance is mandatory.  :(

I'm in the Midwest - landlocked!

Camarks, vagabond1, The Painted Lady-- Camarks- love your avatar! I have 8x10 glossies of that and other Lauren head shots from The Big Sleep era decorating my room, along with a framed lobby poster from 1948 for TBS. We four are kindred spirits, I think. I would love nothing better than to join a small group of Bacall/Bogie fans for a marathon 4 film afternoon/evening double header. Separated by an break for refreshements and converation, that would be fabulous. I own the TCM four DVD Bogie/Bacall box set, and must say, my favorite film noir of all time, TBS, has the least appealing visuals. Is that the best print they could find? I have the Criterion laser disc sourced DVD Korean copy of Fritz Lang's "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse", filmed some 15 years before TBS, but it looks much better than TBS. TTODM was lovingly restored by German film institute archivists, even adding some 12 minutes of footage long thought destroyed by WWII and neglect. Although banned in Germany, it did very well in venues all over Europe. My point is, how can that film be so amazingly close to perfect, and TBS be marred by images that lack clarity and definition, soft blacks that sometimes even appear a bit hazy, and just an overall lack of sharpness? The most maddening thing is that it is not the entire film-- the scene where Bogie returns Carmen unconscious, the outtakes in the DA's office, the night time shots at the pier, and the scene @ Eddie Mars' night club are as sharp as a pin. Have any of you noticed this lack of quality consistency? The other 3 films are fine, parts of THAHN and DP simply sparkle, and are never disappointing. KL is presented mostly in the dingy lighting of the hotel, so I don't expect there to be razor like clarity for most of the shots. The blacks on all films but TBD are fine, uniformly opaque with sharply defined edges. The basement surgery sequence in THAHN is brilliant, B&W at its' best. Did I get a bad disc, or is that just how TBS appears to you folks? I'd really like to know your thoughts, because I'll buy it again if there is any chance it will be an upgrade. TBS is the only film of the four that uses both sides of the DVD. The one side has is the original "inteneded for theatrical release" version, the other side is the better, eventually released version containing the Charles K. Feldman inspired changes, and some new material, directed again by Hawks. Such as the innuendo filled night club scene, the refilmed office visit where Lauren is not wearing that ludicrous veil, and a reshot attempted robbery scene outside of Eddie M's nightclub. I am so hopelessly biased by my love of the two of them together on screen, I can't be objective in my criticism of content. Hence my quest for the best versions available. From the very first moments of them in the same scene in THAHN, it was true hollywood magic, thankfully preserved forever. How often do you have a filmed record of the beginning of two people falling in love? I apologize for my verbosity, but I am very passionate about the subject. Thanks for Listening,  RJM

• Like 1

TBS is the only film of the four that uses both sides of the DVD. The one side has is the original "inteneded for theatrical release" version, the other side is the better, eventually released version containing the Charles K. Feldman inspired changes, and some new material, directed again by Hawks.

Holy cow! How did I not notice that there is another side to the TBS DVD?!! (I will be checking that out later)

I own this collection too and love it. I have noticed that TBS has the quality problems you're talking about. I guess I got used to it and it doesn't bother me too much - seems to add to the atmosphere. It is a shame that it couldn't be cleaned up though.

I am so hopelessly biased by my love of the two of them together on screen, I can't be objective in my criticism of content. Hence my quest for the best versions available. From the very first moments of them in the same scene in THAHN, it was true hollywood magic, thankfully preserved forever. How often do you have a filmed record of the beginning of two people falling in love? I apologize for my verbosity, but I am very passionate about the subject. Thanks for Listening,  RJM

RJM - I feel the same way! I just love watching the two of them together.

I recently re-did my TV room and have framed poster replicas of TBS, KL & THAHN for my wall. I wish I had originals!!! :)

• Like 1

Camarks, vagabond1, The Painted Lady-- Camarks- love your avatar! I have 8x10 glossies of that and other Lauren head shots from The Big Sleep era decorating my room, along with a framed lobby poster from 1948 for TBS. We four are kindred spirits, I think. I would love nothing better than to join a small group of Bacall/Bogie fans for a marathon 4 film afternoon/evening double header. Separated by an break for refreshements and converation, that would be fabulous. I own the TCM four DVD Bogie/Bacall box set, and must say, my favorite film noir of all time, TBS, has the least appealing visuals. Is that the best print they could find? I have the Criterion laser disc sourced DVD Korean copy of Fritz Lang's "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse", filmed some 15 years before TBS, but it looks much better than TBS. TTODM was lovingly restored by German film institute archivists, even adding some 12 minutes of footage long thought destroyed by WWII and neglect. Although banned in Germany, it did very well in venues all over Europe. My point is, how can that film be so amazingly close to perfect, and TBS be marred by images that lack clarity and definition, soft blacks that sometimes even appear a bit hazy, and just an overall lack of sharpness? The most maddening thing is that it is not the entire film-- the scene where Bogie returns Carmen unconscious, the outtakes in the DA's office, the night time shots at the pier, and the scene @ Eddie Mars' night club are as sharp as a pin. Have any of you noticed this lack of quality consistency? The other 3 films are fine, parts of THAHN and DP simply sparkle, and are never disappointing. KL is presented mostly in the dingy lighting of the hotel, so I don't expect there to be razor like clarity for most of the shots. The blacks on all films but TBD are fine, uniformly opaque with sharply defined edges. The basement surgery sequence in THAHN is brilliant, B&W at its' best. Did I get a bad disc, or is that just how TBS appears to you folks? I'd really like to know your thoughts, because I'll buy it again if there is any chance it will be an upgrade. TBS is the only film of the four that uses both sides of the DVD. The one side has is the original "inteneded for theatrical release" version, the other side is the better, eventually released version containing the Charles K. Feldman inspired changes, and some new material, directed again by Hawks. Such as the innuendo filled night club scene, the refilmed office visit where Lauren is not wearing that ludicrous veil, and a reshot attempted robbery scene outside of Eddie M's nightclub. I am so hopelessly biased by my love of the two of them together on screen, I can't be objective in my criticism of content. Hence my quest for the best versions available. From the very first moments of them in the same scene in THAHN, it was true hollywood magic, thankfully preserved forever. How often do you have a filmed record of the beginning of two people falling in love? I apologize for my verbosity, but I am very passionate about the subject. Thanks for Listening,  RJM

I, too, love the Bogie/Bacall collaborations. I enjoy their films in this order:

1. To Have and Have Not
  2. Dark Passage
  3. Key Largo
  4. The Big Sleep

I own only Dark Passage, but eventually I'll get the set. I wish they'd have a Bogart Festival on the West Coast or at least in San Francisco (I'm biased I know), but Key Largo seems so difficult to get to. Lots of expenses just on getting there especially coming from California.

• Like 1

I, too, love the Bogie/Bacall collaborations. I enjoy their films in this order:

1. To Have and Have Not
  2. Dark Passage
  3. Key Largo
  4. The Big Sleep

I own only Dark Passage, but eventually I'll get the set. I wish they'd have a Bogart Festival on the West Coast or at least in San Francisco (I'm biased I know), but Key Largo seems so difficult to get to. Lots of expenses just on getting there especially coming from California.

To "The Painted Lady": So nice to hear from a fellow traveler. If I may make a suggestion: TCM puts on sale two disc sets of the four films @ $9.99 for each two film set. As long as TBS has both the 1945 and 46 versions, that would be the cheaper way to go, expecially if your ordered bothsets at the same time. I paid well over $60 from Amazon to get the box set, which I have to admit has a fantastic picture of Bogie holding Lauren in a pre-kiss swoon on it, but I'd raher have saved the roughly $35.00. I have seen TCM put these two disc sets on sale several times in the last few years. I don't care if he had to wear lifts on his shoes to be taller than her, in the hall of celluoid heros/heroines, they are my all time favorites. It is a pity there isn't more of them together for us to enjoy.      Thx, RJM

• Like 1

Holy cow! How did I not notice that there is another side to the TBS DVD?!! (I will be checking that out later)

I own this collection too and love it. I have noticed that TBS has the quality problems you're talking about. I guess I got used to it and it doesn't bother me too much - seems to add to the atmosphere. It is a shame that it couldn't be cleaned up though.

RJM - I feel the same way! I just love watching the two of them together.

I recently re-did my TV room and have framed poster replicas of TBS, KL & THAHN for my wall. I wish I had originals!!! :)

Hi Camarks, Thanks for your thoughts, hopefully someday the studio will dig up the most pristine copy of it they can find ( I would check the estates of people who owned the movie houses, the projectionists, everyone... Once located, I would then painstakingly transfer it to BluRay, along with their other 3 films. As far the TBS from the box set goes, the TBS disc is chock full of goodies. There is not only the Feldman inspired re-shoots and new material presented as the 1946 "official" release, but a UCLA film historian takes you through the differences scene by scene. Fascinating for anyone who has a love affair with the film as I do. Along with TBS goodies, there is of course short featurettes, a vintage WB cartoon parody of the THAHN's "You know how to whistle, don't you Steve"... scene. The thing I enjoyed second only to the TBS 1946 version and comparisons is the Mercury Theater radio broadcast of Bogie and Lauren reading their lines from THAHN. Priceless... If these things are not included in the 2 films per set versions for $9.99 from TCM, then for the real hardcore fans the box set is really the only way to go.  All four BluRays is a nice dream to have, hopefully it will happen before too long. Thanks,   RJM 

For Camarks, The Painted Lady, All "The Big Sleep" Lovers,

I thought you might enjoy the attached jpegs. Obviously my fascination with not only Lauren and this film runs very deep. I don't know if Bogie's health was already beginning to decline after "Key Largo", but certainly Jack Warner had to know he was sitting on the hottest couple in Hollywood. I wonder if any film historians know if other noir style film scripts were submitted to B&B, but were rejected for some reason? I wish so much they had starred in more Chandler/Hammett/Spillane style crime stories, directed by H.H., or D. Davies. They were pure magic together, I can't recall another film pairing that was more perfect. Bogie blows away other "hard boiled" P.I.s like Meeker's "Mike Hammer". He has the cynical edge, the toughness, but also a strong sense of morality and allows just enough empathy to show through, making his character much more believable, and of course his classic good looks. Combine that with Lauren's striking beauty, the combination of her sassy reparte' and class, jaded heart that can be accessed by the right man, runway-ready model's physique, that raspy low voice that just oozes sensuality, and you have the "dream couple".We will never see their likes again I fear, making their anemic cinematic output all that much of a lost opportunity. At least we do have their four films, of which "The Big Sleep", by a nose, is my favorite."To Have And Have Not" comes in a very close second. I hope you folks enjoy the jpegs, and thanks for endulging my rambling.  RJM 

post-34550-0-67566800-1438295846_thumb.jpg

post-34550-0-40989600-1438295867_thumb.jpg

• Like 2