Sign in to follow this  
Big Kid

Groucho's Real Moustache

14 posts in this topic

In what movies does Groucho Marx have a real moustache?

He wore a fake moustache in the early Marx Brothers films. I'm not sure what the first film was in which he switched from fake to real.

He definitely used his real one in Love Happy, and I'm pretty sure that's the only film he made with his brothers where he used his real one. I believe he used his real one in all the other non-Marx Brothers films.

He definitely used his real one in Love Happy, and I'm pretty sure that's the only film he made with his brothers where he used his real one. I believe he used his real one in all the other non-Marx Brothers films.

..which brings up the question--Has anyone ever seen Groucho without ANY moustache, fake or real?

Thanks, I'll have to see Love Happy

He had a real one in A Night at the Opera, that's how I was able to compare.  Afterward I saw Go West and his fake moustache was one of the saddest things ever.

He had a real one in A Night at the Opera, that's how I was able to compare.  Afterward I saw Go West and his fake moustache was one of the saddest things ever.

I hope I'm remembering this story right, but I read that Groucho was running late for a stage performance, and he quickly used greasepaint instead of a fake mustache, and history was made. :) 

He used greasepaint in all the other Marx movies, although he may have sported a real moustache underneath ... sometimes it's hard to tell. He also uses a different set of eyeglasses in Love Happy. Here he is with some future star:

LoveHappy-1.jpg

I hope I'm remembering this story right, but I read that Groucho was running late for a stage performance, and he quickly used greasepaint instead of a fake mustache, and history was made. :)

I can believe that!  You probably won't find anyone who remembers it better than you.  It's nice he could find something like that lying around in those days.

He used greasepaint in all the other Marx movies, although he may have sported a real moustache underneath ... sometimes it's hard to tell. He also uses a different set of eyeglasses in Love Happy. Here he is with some future star:

LoveHappy-1.jpg

I never thought about how important the eyeglasses were, thank you.

He wore a fake moustache in the early Marx Brothers films. I'm not sure what the first film was in which he switched from fake to real.

Me neither, I tried going up the movie list on rottentomatoes but couldn't find a picture from the movies where the moustache looked real.

..which brings up the question--Has anyone ever seen Groucho without ANY moustache, fake or real?

Yes, check the "Marxism and Bugsism" thread in General Discussions. I just posted a very old photo.

On Wednesday, July 08, 2015 at 1:06 PM, scsu1975 said:

Yes, Groucho had the painted on mustache and eyebrows in all of his 1930s and 1940s film's except "Love happy". At first, it seemed that his painted on eyebrows were thinner in "Night in Casablanca", but I think it just seemed that way because he'd gotten more of a receding hairline than in his earlier films. He definitely no longer had the painted on mustache and eyebrows in his later things such as in "What's my line", "You bet your life", and "The Dick Cavette show".

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 6:54 AM, slaytonf said:

Dick who?

Groucho was on the Dick Cavett show, he reprised some of his jokes from his earlier films amusing the audience, and he reprised his song "Lydia the tattooed lady" from "A day at the circus". Sadly,he'd really slowedown by then, since it was 1969, 30+ years since the majority of his films, whichwere his shinning days. He was good in "What's my line" and "You bet your life", and in his 1946 film "Night in Casablanca", but he was best in his 1930 films.From "Ducksoup" all the way through to "A day at the circus". They are all classic excellent, my very favorites of all are "Ducksoup"and "A night at the opera".