Sign in to follow this  
gagman66

SHOW GIRL (1928) Lost Alice White Feature found!

6 posts in this topic

Exciting news broke just yesterday that the long lost Alice White Silent feature SHOW GIRL (1928) was being restored by Warner Brothers and the Vita-phone project. It is currently still listed on the Library of Congress Silent Movie Database as a Lost film. Or in any event, read's "No Holdings In Archives" So I'm not sure where this print came from? Nevertheless, this is a welcome surprise seemingly out of nowhere! I hope we might see it on TCM as soon as possible. Since it has a complete Vita-phone score already, additional music doesn't need to be recorded. Would be a great fit for TCM's sporadic Lost and Found series.

11350792_10207412310616194_4337427692607

• Like 4

Exciting news broke just yesterday that the long lost Alice White Silent feature SHOW GIRL (1928) was being restored by Warner Brothers and the Vita-phone project. It is currently still listed on the Library of Congress Silent Movie Database as a Lost film. Are in any event, read's "No Holdings In Archives" So I'm not sure where this print came from? Nevertheless, this is a welcome surprise seemingly out of nowhere! I hope we might see it on TCM as soon as possible. Since it has a complete Vita-phone score already, additional music doesn't need to be recorded. Would be a great fit for TCM's sporadic Lost and Found series.

11350792_10207412310616194_4337427692607

Great news!  It will be half as good as an Alice White talkie.  Her kewpie doll voice is half her appeal.

• Like 2

Delighted that a lost film has been found and is being restored.  Will be waiting to see if TCM airs it.  A question for you--I saw that Alice White was in 1928's "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" based on the Anita Loos book.  Is that film around to be shown or is it a "lost film"?  In any event, thanks for the good news & the post. :)

• Like 1

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES was released at the beginning of the year, and was apparently the first Big Movie hit of 1928. Alice White actually played Dorothy Shaw the Brunette, not Lorelei Lee. She was portrayed by Ruth Taylor. This picture is supposed to be lost, but only a few weeks ago on Facebook some guy was claiming to own a print? As GPB is probably in the Top 25 Most Wanted of Lost American Silent films, I don't know why he would be hoarding a copy in his private collection? I really hope he does have a print, but I would certainly contact the LOC, UCLA, The Film Foundation, Academy Film Archive, Eastman, House, or the Museum of Modern Art as soon as possible.

AliceRuthblondes2.jpg

11403323_10207367730341715_9108665602271

• Like 1

gagman66--thank you for the prompt answer.  I have no idea why someone would be claiming to have a copy of GPB when it's supposed to be lost??  If the copy of GPB really exists, it will surface now the person has posted about having it. :)

Also--gorgeous stills you posted.  Have a great day :)

• Like 1

:)  Update, I learned this morning that SHOW GIRL along with a Billie Dove feature THE MAN AND THE MOMENT with Rod La Rocque, were both discovered in the Milan (Italy) Archive. A few other titles uncovered there all First National Pictures Silents have yet to be announced. I'm holding out hope for some Colleen Moore and Corinne Griffith stuff. There was a rumor concerning Colleen's OH KAY! (1928), but I don't know if its the complete feature or just a fragment? Meantime, Film historian Joseph Yranski who knew her very well is working toward getting NAUGHTY BUT NICE (1927) repatriated from Rome. A noteworthy film as it introduced Loretta Young to the screen. She was formally known as Gretchen Young, and took her new screen name at the suggestion of Colleen Moore.

ColleenCartoonNaughtyButNicePoster1927.j

BillieDoveManAndTheMomentPoster.jpg

• Like 3