Big Kid

Male Bookworms

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know any pre-1977 movies where a defining characteristic of a male protagonist is that he's interested in books and reading?

Gary Cooper in Ball of Fire. He played a Linguistics Professor who is interested in American slang.

William Holden as Judy Holliday's tutor in Born Yesterday.

The only other one I can think of is Maureen O'Sullivan's brother in The Thin Man, but he plays a secondary character.

Gary Cooper in Ball of Fire. He played a Linguistics Professor who is interested in American slang.

William Holden as Judy Holliday's tutor in Born Yesterday.

The only other one I can think of is Maureen O'Sullivan's brother in The Thin Man, but he plays a secondary character.

Thank you for those! 

I actually saw the end of Ball of Fire on TV the other day, it was interesting to see so many chatty intellectuals in one room.

Do you know if Maureen O'Sullivan's brother is in every installment of The Thin Man?  Amazon' sells a 7-pack of it.

William Henry is the name of the actor who plays Maureen O'Sullivan's brother in The Thin Man. According to IMDB, he appeared only in the first installment.

I have seen only The Thin Man and After the Thin Man, and I don't remember him in the latter.

Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes in "Gone With the Wind" (1939).

Cary Grant as a paleontologist in "Bringing Up Baby" (1938).

Ryan O'Neal's character in "What's Up Doc?" (1972).

Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes in "Gone With the Wind" (1939).

Cary Grant as a paleontologist in "Bringing Up Baby" (1938).

Ryan O'Neal's character in "What's Up Doc?" (1972).

Thank you!  That's a good viewing list.  I'm glad Cary Grant plays one of them.

Wendell Burton in THE STERILE CUCKOO (1969).

Henry Fonda in THE LADY EVE -- "Snakes are my life!" He must have done a lot of reading on the subject. 

Burt Lancaster in THE BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ -- he wasn't a bookworm to begin with, but he became one.

Henry Fonda in THE LADY EVE -- "Snakes are my life!" He must have done a lot of reading on the subject. 

Burt Lancaster in THE BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ -- he wasn't a bookworm to begin with, but he became one

Thank you for those!  It must have taken some nerve to use sterile in a movie name when they still had compulsory sterilization in the U.S.  And California sterlized more than any other state at 10,000.

Thank you RMeingast!

Any ideas on how to get something made into a DVD?

I'll see if I can find the series episodes for free.

I like seeing what Burgess Meredith did before Rocky.  I wonder if any chickens are in the movie >.>

Ronald Colman in CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR.

Cliff Robertson in CHARLY.

Thank you for those!

Burt Lancaster in THE BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ -- he wasn't a bookworm to begin with, but he became one.

Herry Fonda's definitely a bookworm in The Lady Eve.  There's a nice restaurant scene where all the women are paying attention to him while he tries to read, one of them even comes to talk to him.  It takes a professional to really distract him.