Big Kid

Misogynism in Cinema

16 posts in this topic

What would be some misogynist classic movies?  So far I only know about Cary Grant's moments, like pushing down a woman or saying, "Quiet!"

What would be some misogynist classic movies?  So far I only know about Cary Grant's moments, like pushing down a woman or saying, "Quiet!"

The Big Heat.  

KISS OF DEATH- Richard Widmark  threatens and bosses his girlfriend around in a scene in a restaurant. 

KEY LARGO- Edward G. Robinson bosses and threats Claire Trevor miserably

I think if you look to gangster and noirs, you'll find it's not uncommon for men to treat women in a demeaning way. Cagney shoving a grapefruit in Mae Clarke's face in Public Enemy is another example.

• Like 1

KISS OF DEATH- Richard Widmark  threatens and bosses his girlfriend around in a scene in a restaurant. 

KEY LARGO- Edward G. Robinson bosses and threats Claire Trevor miserably

I think if you look to gangster and noirs, you'll find it's not uncommon for men to treat women in a demeaning way. Cagney shoving a grapefruit in Mae Clarke's face in Public Enemy is another example.

Thank you!  Watching those three would make a good weekend.  Film noir might be something I could get into; I like darkness.

Night Nurse - Clark Gable slaps/punches Barbara Stanwyck, drawing blood.

Well at least in Night Nurse Stanwyck with the help of her male friend get the last laugh over Gable.  And I do mean last laugh!   That final scene is a hoot as it relates to how Gable is taken care of.  

• Like 3

Well at least in Night Nurse Stanwyck with the help of her male friend get the last laugh over Gable.  And I do mean last laugh!   That final scene is a hoot as it relates to how Gable is taken care of.  

Yeah, the comeuppance is important, LOL...

You're welcome, I think? I hope you enjoy the films because they're all great films, NOT because they have scenes that treat women badly!

You don't have to treat women badly to be a misogynist, just dislike them.  Although I'm sure some women would like us to think the former to encourage police harassment and lawsuits.  The examples were just manifestations I noticed. 

There's another movie I forgot to mention that played in the morning on TCM where Myrna Loy was a Gypsy who came between a father and son.

Night Nurse - Clark Gable slaps/punches Barbara Stanwyck, drawing blood.

Wow, James Bond slapping a bond girl was mild.

You don't have to treat women badly to be a misogynist, just dislike them. 

All of them?

Or just certain ones?

All of them?

Or just certain ones?

It would have to be all of them.  If it's just certain ones it could come out as namecalling, as opposed to thinking, "What else is new," or "Big surprise," sarcastically.  But you could start by disliking certain ones and then become a misogynist when you can't find anything better, or compare the pros and cons and see she's just as bad in different ways.

It would have to be all of them. 

Hmmm. So, when there's a scene wherein a male slaps a female, we can be sure that that character dislikes all women.

Thanks for clarifying.

Hmmm. So, when there's a scene wherein a male slaps a female, we can be sure that that character dislikes all women.

Thanks for clarifying.

Or, he's French.