Sir David

British Noir

11 posts in this topic

As an exiled Brit, I'm ashamed to say I really can't think of much in the way of British Noir. Thinking hard I guess I could include The Thin Man and Ministry of Fear (albeit with American links) and also Get Carter as a neo-noir, but after that I'm stuck.

Would anyone care to enlighten me with some recommendations? 

The Third Man and Night and the City qualify, as might The League of Gentlemen, Brighton Rock, Odd Man Out and Obsession (not the Brian DePalma film). It depends where you draw the line on the definition of noir (which I am trying to learn here!) as the latter four might be merely suspense/crime films to some people.

Regardless of how they are categorized, they're all great films well worth a viewing. Enjoy!

(If you are looking to branch out even further may I recommend some French titles of the 40s and 50s that I have always considered noir like Bob Le Flambeur and Rififi...as directors, Dassin and Melville have become favorites for me.)

• Like 1

(If you are looking to branch out even further may I recommend some French titles of the 40s and 50s that I have always considered noir like Bob Le Flambeur and Rififi...as directors, Dassin and Melville have become favorites for me.)

That's interesting, thanks...I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that British Noir had more in common with French films of the day than necessarily the American ones. 

One of my favorite noirs is actually British. Time Without Pity, starring Michael Redgrave as an alcoholic recently released from a sanitarium, who learns his son is about to be executed for murder. He has 24 hour to prove his son's innocence before the boy is executed. It's fantastic(and I think I might have recommended it in another thread on here already).

I watched a couple movies today in a DVD set of British noirs. Women of Twilight and The Slasher(original title Cosh Boy). I wouldn't recommend seeking them out, though. They weren't bad, but calling them noir was incredibly misleading.

• Like 2

One of my favorite noirs is actually British. Time Without Pity, starring Michael Redgrave as an alcoholic recently released from a sanitarium, who learns his son is about to be executed for murder. He has 24 hour to prove his son's innocence before the boy is executed. It's fantastic(and I think I might have recommended it in another thread on here already).

I watched a couple movies today in a DVD set of British noirs. Women of Twilight and The Slasher(original title Cosh Boy). I wouldn't recommend seeking them out, though. They weren't bad, but calling them noir was incredibly misleading.

Good recommendation-- TIME WITHOUT PITY is an excellent film.

Another one I like is 10 RILLINGTON PLACE, which is not exactly a noir, but has many noir-like elements.

• Like 1

As an exiled Brit, I'm ashamed to say I really can't think of much in the way of British Noir. Thinking hard I guess I could include The Thin Man and Ministry of Fear (albeit with American links) and also Get Carter as a neo-noir, but after that I'm stuck.

Have you seen Christopher Nolan's "Following" (1998)? It's his first feature length film, and a good Neo-Noir film. It's told mostly in flashback, and is about a writer who takes to following strangers to see where they go, what they do, and other details about them partially to get inspiration for his characters. One day he follows a man who turns out to be a thief involved with some pretty bad people. Give it a watch! I think you can probably find the whole thing on YouTube...

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions...I appreciate all the ideas: searching them out will give me something to do in the long lonely nights after this course finishes!