TopBilled

ClassiCategories

11,204 posts in this topic

Cimarron (1931)

I actually prefer the 1960 remake better. I know a lot of people don't care for it. But the production values are outstanding and it seems to have a more epic feel to it.

screen.jpg

I actually prefer the 1960 remake better. I know a lot of people don't care for it. But the production values are outstanding and it seems to have a more epic feel to it.

screen.jpg

Although, I prefer the 1931 "Cimarron", I can understand why you would prefer the 1960 version, especially the sweeping land run scene which gives the film an epic quality.

I feel that George Stevens' film "GIANT" is a perfect example of a sweeping American epic western drama which gets better every time I watch it.  The performances are all superb but I have to single out Rock Hudson's. Also, the chemistry between Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor is the film's centerpiece.

• Like 1

Although, I prefer the 1931 "Cimarron", I can understand why you would prefer the 1960 version, especially the sweeping land run scene which gives the film an epic quality.

I feel that George Stevens' film "GIANT" is a perfect example of a sweeping American epic western drama which gets better every time I watch it.  The performances are all superb but I have to single out Rock Hudson's. Also, the chemistry between Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor is the film's centerpiece.

Would you consider GIANT a contemporary western?

Did anyone mention the 1994 190 minute Wyatt Earp?

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) 159 minutes

Duck, You Sucker aka A Fistful of Dynamite (1971) 157 minutes

The western epic that nearly ended a studio, 1980's Heaven's Gate at 219 minutes.

• Like 1

Would you consider GIANT a contemporary western?

Yes I would. Along with "Hud", "Junior Bonner", "Brokeback Mountain", "Lone Star", "There Will Be Blood", "Oklahoma Crude", "The Rounders", and "Lonely Are The Brave".

• Like 1

Yes I would. Along with "Hud", "Junior Bonner", "Brokeback Mountain", "Lone Star", "There Will Be Blood", "Oklahoma Crude", "The Rounders", and "Lonely Are The Brave".

Yes, I agree...those are all fine examples of modern or contemporary westerns. OKLAHOMA CRUDE aired a few summers ago for Faye Dunaway's Summer Under the Stars tribute. Excellent picture...one TCM should broadcast again.

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

four hundred twenty-ninth category

Stars that sued a studio and won

Olivia de Havilland sued Warner Brothers, claiming she should have the right to pick her own scripts. She won and it became the basis for what is now called the de Havilland law, where studios can no longer bind performers in a way that suggests peonage.

Ann Sheridan sued RKO for wrongful termination from MY FORBIDDEN PAST (Howard Hughes didn't think she was sexy enough and gave her part to Ava Gardner). Ann won a $300,000 settlement and RKO had to offer her another acceptable script.

Hunter Tylo- sued Spelling Entertainment for wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination.  She was fired from Melrose Place after becoming pregnant.  (I know technically she didn't sue a studio, but I thought it should be mentioned)

• Like 1

Hunter Tylo- sued Spelling Entertainment for wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination.  She was fired from Melrose Place after becoming pregnant.  (I know technically she didn't sue a studio, but I thought it should be mentioned)

I think Spelling did run his company like a studio. Very much so. All the contract stars on his hit series were required to guest star on his other hit series and do TV movies he produced. People say the studio system ended after the production code dissolved but it definitely did not. Big independent producers like Spelling had taken over the old movie sound stages in the 70s and 80s and were operating just like the old studios had.

Spelling had also gotten rid of Pamela Bellwood who played Claudia on Dynasty. Twice. At the beginning of the show's third season her character was sent off to a mental institution when Bellwood became pregnant. After she had the baby, she came back full-time the following season. Then during season 6, she became pregnant again. That time he reduced her screen time and fired her at the end of the season, killing her character off in a fire. I don't know why she didn't sue. But when Spelling pulled the same stuff on Hunter Tylo in the 90s, she fought back. And won.

In 1960 Warner Bros. suspended James Garner because of a writers strike as the series Maverick was filming. Garner fought back declaring his contract void.  He won at trial and and the decision was confirmed on appeal and remains precedent today.

Garner went a second round with Universal in a case that started in 1980 and last 9 years. Garner, who did most of his own stunts, claimed he was ill and could not work due to repeated injuries on the series The Rockford Files.  Universal sued Garner claiming he was actually on strike because Garner did not believe the show had accrued a $9 million dollar deficit after 5 years and 100 episodes.  Garner instead alleged that Universal was "creatively accounting" (two words which have become part of the Hollywood lexicon) and won his suit.  Garner fought and fought and went public - even going on "60 Minutes".  Garner fought on putting his money where his mouth was until he received a confidential settlement which was reported to be $14 million dollars. In doing so, he established that an actor would not necessarily be blackballed for demanding his just due.  Due to Garner's efforts, Roy Huggins was able to "piggyback" a sizable settlement for his share of the profits.

• Like 1

In 1960 Warner Bros. suspended James Garner because of a writers strike as the series Maverick was filming. Garner fought back declaring his contract void.  He won at trial and and the decision was confirmed on appeal and remains precedent today.

Garner went a second round with Universal in a case that started in 1980 and last 9 years. Garner, who did most of his own stunts, claimed he was ill and could not work due to repeated injuries on the series The Rockford Files.  Universal sued Garner claiming he was actually on strike because Garner did not believe the show had accrued a $9 million dollar deficit after 5 years and 100 episodes.  Garner instead alleged that Universal was "creatively accounting" (two words which have become part of the Hollywood lexicon) and won his suit.  Garner fought and fought and went public - even going on "60 Minutes".  Garner fought on putting his money where his mouth was until he received a confidential settlement which was reported to be $14 million dollars. In doing so, he established that an actor would not necessarily be blackballed for demanding his just due.  Due to Garner's efforts, Roy Huggins was able to "piggyback" a sizable settlement for his share of the profits.

After the lawsuit with Warners, Garner went back to work for them. From 1981 to 1982, he reprised the character in an updated series called Bret Maverick. So apparently, all was forgiven. And Garner had a key supporting role in the big screen film MAVERICK a decade later, where Mel Gibson played the title character.

Some more--

Lynn Redgrave sued Universal. She claimed she was being discriminated against, when she chose to breastfeed her baby on the set of House Calls. She won an undisclosed settlement but was replaced by Sharon Gless. The sitcom has never aired in reruns, because Universal has refused to pay Redgrave or her heirs residuals.

Valerie Harper sued Warner Brothers, when they replaced her on the hit sitcom Valerie. She had failed to report for work in the middle of contract negotiations. Her character was killed off and she was replaced by Sandy Duncan. Harper won an undisclosed settlement, but she never had another hit show after this. Like Universal's situation with Redgrave, Warners won't rerun Valerie (renamed The Hogan Family) because they do not want to pay Harper any residuals.

Bette Davis told Dick Cavett about her 1937 suit against Warner Brothers..the interview is still around to watch.  She wanted to leave for better roles, and she lost her lawsuit, but ironically, Warner began giving her some of the best parts of her career afterwards.

Another one for the lawsuit category--

Frank Sinatra sued Fox. He walked off CAROUSEL due to violations of his contract, because he said they were making him film every scene twice to take advantage of a new technology. He prevailed, and he made CAN-CAN instead—without having to film the whole thing twice.

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

four hundred thirtieth category

Twins in show business

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-11-14%2Bat%2B7.56.2

Billy & Bobby Mauch

Lee & Lyn Wilde

Marisa Pavan & Pier Angeli

James and Oliver Phelps

The Dolly Sisters (Rosie & Jenny)

Anthony and Peter Shaffer

John and Roy Boulting

Robin and Maurice Gibb

Deidre and Andrea Hall

Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush

Jason and Jeremy London

The Hager Brothers (Jim and Jon)

• Like 1

How about--

Ramon & Royce Blackburn (MGM dancers)

Conrad Bain & Bonar Bain (They did a memorable episode of Maude together.)

The Weasley Twins on HARRY POTTER

Since you left it open ("show business "), I'm going to mention those furniture expert twins on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW

The Weasley Twins on HARRY POTTER

Since you left it open ("show business "), I'm going to mention those furniture expert twins on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW

Does this mean we are counting Drew and Jonathan Scott from Property Brothers?

I am identical twin, so this resonates with me!

Jason Priestley and Justine Priestley

Dylan Sprouse and Cole Sprouse

Sawyer Sweeten (RIP) and Sullivan Sweeten

• Like 1