9,001 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

one thousandth category

Independent producers

David Selznick
Samuel Goldwyn
Edward Small

One thousandth category: Pretty impressive.

Maggie Renzi, on all of John Sayles's films.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marianne said:

One thousandth category: Pretty impressive.

Maggie Renzi, on all of John Sayles's films.

Thanks Marianne. The numbering got 'off' twice...so during the past few weeks I went back through and fixed the numbering. No small feat since there are currently over 350 pages. 

Today really is the thousandth category. It wouldn't be what it is if there weren't so many great posts each day on the thread.

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 12.17.20 PM.jpg

• Like 1

JACK ROLLINS & CHARLES JOFFE - producers of Woody Allen films (Rollins appeared in "Broadway Danny Rose"

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MarshaKatz said:

JACK ROLLINS & CHARLES JOFFE - producers of Woody Allen films (Rollins appeared in "Broadway Danny Rose"

Thanks for mentioning a more recent example of independent movie producing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for mentioning a more recent example of independent movie producing.

Jack Rollins lived to be 100 years of age. That in itself is an accomplishment after working with Woody Allen (who truly adored him) for so many years.

1 minute ago, MarshaKatz said:

Jack Rollins lived to be 100 years of age. That in itself is an accomplishment after working with Woody Allen (who truly adored him) for so many years.

Maybe Woody kept him going!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe Woody kept him going!

I think you're right, TopBilled.  I read that Woody kept Jack Rollins name as Executive Producer on his films after Rollins had retired. So there definitely was a bond between them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarshaKatz said:

I think you're right, TopBilled.  I read that Woody kept Jack Rollins name as Executive Producer on his films after Rollins had retired. So there definitely was a bond between them.

Some collaborations are pure gold. And theirs certainly was.

Another independent producer I wanted to mention is Walter Wanger. His collaborations with wife Joan Bennett and director Fritz Lang are worth remembering:

SCARLET STREET (1945) and SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR (1947).

Chaplin produced his own films and urged Keaton to stay independent rather than sign with MGM .

There were lots of independent producers in silent era, but that's all I remember. 

Congrats on 1000!

• Like 2

Here are some Australian independent film producers:

Cate Blanchett

Gillian Armstrong

Essie Davis - Every Cloud Productions

Jan Chapman

Emile Sherman

CONGRATULATIONS TOPBILLED ON YOUR 1,000 CATEGORY!

• Like 1

• Oscar Micheaux-- An unbelievably talented and resourceful independent black film producer, director and writer who worked with Paul Robeson. Their most famous film was "Body and Soul", 1925, Paul Robeson's film debut.

• Micheaux was responsible for over 40 films,  silents and talkies.

• He's honored with a film festival in his childhood hometown of Great Bend Kansas, where he's also buried.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, KarmaGirl said:

Melvin Van Peebles

Image result for melvin van peebles

Interesting quote. Never thought of moviemaking as being the same as cooking.

• Like 1

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

one thousand first category

U.S. landmarks
The Statue of Liberty in SABOTEUR
The Empire State Building in AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
Mount Rushmore in NORTH BY NORTHWEST

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.12.28 AM.jpg

Notice President Hitchcock on the far right.
  • Like 1

The Survivor Tree at the Oklahoma City National Memorial in Elizabethtown (2005).

3ddb7abd4bce295b9e3f35b17270d89a.jpg

I don't know if this is considered a landmark but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the category.

• Like 1

LINCOLN MEMORIAL in MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON

THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY has been featured in SEX AND THE CITY, THE WIZ, GHOST BUSTERS, MAID IN MANHATTAN, and many others

CHEOAH DAM IN GRAHAM COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA in THE FUGITIVE

THE STEPS IN FRONT OF THE PHILADELPHIA MUSEUM OF ART in ROCKY

THE ARCH IN WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK NYC in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY

WOODY ALLEN'S "MANHATTAN" includes many NYC landmark locations - my favorite is THE HAYDEN PLANETARIUM and sorry to say that THE EMPIRE DINER on 10th Avenue is no longer there

THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE in VERTIGO

• Like 1

THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING in SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE shot from the lower East Side of Manhattan, TIME SQUARE & 47th ST SHOWING TKTS BOOTH, RATNERS KOSHER RESTAURANT (sorry to say it is no longer there), BENSONHURST ELEVATED RAILWAY, THE NYC SUBWAY SYSTEM, THE ROOSEVELT HOTEL E 45th & Madison Ave, NYC, the construction of the FIRST WORLD TRADE CENTER TOWER in THE FRENCH CONNECTION

HOOVER DAM in LOST IN AMERICA

GRAND CANYON in the movie of the same name

• Like 1

P. J. CLARKE'S SALOON which was established in 1884 and is located at 915 Third Avenue at the corner of East 55th Street in Manhattan has been used or mentioned in several films

Nat's Bar in THE LOST WEEKEND was based on P. J. Clarke's and Charles Jackson who wrote the book on which the film is based was a regular at P. J.'s

Gene Hackman as "Popeye" Doyle in FRENCH CONNECTION II asks the French police to get him a "nice, juicy P.J. Clarke's hamburger" while going through heroin withdrawal

Exterior and interior scenes of P. J. Clarke's are filmed in SIDE STREET (1950)

TIFFANY & CO - BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, SWEET HOME ALABAMA

GRAND CENTRAL STATION (absolutely gorgeous due to the renovation project of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis) - films include ONE FINE DAY, MEN IN BLACK, FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS, I AM LEGEND

KATZ'S DELI (the best pastrami in NY and anywhere else) featured in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, DONNIE BRASCO, ENCHANTED

THE CARNEGIE DELI - Woody Allen has used in ANNIE HALL and most specifically in BROADWAY DANNY ROSE

FDNY LADDER 8 has been a working firehouse for more than a century - the exterior was used in GHOST BUSTERS

RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL (beautifully renovated - that amazing carpeted staircase and the chandeliers) and shown to great advantage in RADIO DAYS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarshaKatz said:

THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING in SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE shot from the lower East Side of Manhattan, TIME SQUARE & 47th ST SHOWING TKTS BOOTH, RATNERS KOSHER RESTAURANT (sorry to say it is no longer there), BENSONHURST ELEVATED RAILWAY, THE NYC SUBWAY SYSTEM, THE ROOSEVELT HOTEL E 45th & Madison Ave, NYC, the construction of the FIRST WORLD TRADE CENTER TOWER in THE FRENCH CONNECTION

HOOVER DAM in LOST IN AMERICA

GRAND CANYON in the movie of the same name

Thanks Marsha for all the excellent examples. Your mention of Hoover Dam reminds me about Boulder Dam. It was featured in the 1936 film BOULDER DAM with Ross Alexander, as well as 711 OCEAN DRIVE with Edmond O'Brien. The Alexander picture relies primarily on stock footage; but the O'Brien picture has a spectacular climax filmed at the dam.

• Thanks 1

Devils Tower, Wyoming..Close Encounters of the Third Kind  Related image

King Kong, Empire State Building Related image

The Hollywood Sign..seen in a lot of films..here it's destroyed in The Day After Tomorrow  Image result for the day after tomorrow hollywood sign

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MarshaKatz said:

P. J. CLARKE'S SALOON which was established in 1884 and is located at 915 Third Avenue at the corner of East 55th Street in Manhattan has been used or mentioned in several films

Nat's Bar in THE LOST WEEKEND was based on P. J. Clarke's and Charles Jackson who wrote the book on which the film is based was a regular at P. J.'s

Gene Hackman as "Popeye" Doyle in FRENCH CONNECTION II asks the French police to get him a "nice, juicy P.J. Clarke's hamburger" while going through heroin withdrawal

Exterior and interior scenes of P. J. Clarke's are filmed in SIDE STREET (1950)

TIFFANY & CO - BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, SWEET HOME ALABAMA

GRAND CENTRAL STATION (absolutely gorgeous due to the renovation project of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis) - films include ONE FINE DAY, MEN IN BLACK, FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS, I AM LEGEND

KATZ'S DELI (the best pastrami in NY and anywhere else) featured in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, DONNIE BRASCO, ENCHANTED

THE CARNEGIE DELI - Woody Allen has used in ANNIE HALL and most specifically in BROADWAY DANNY ROSE

FDNY LADDER 8 has been a working firehouse for more than a century - the exterior was used in GHOST BUSTERS

RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL (beautifully renovated - that amazing carpeted staircase and the chandeliers) and shown to great advantage in RADIO DAYS

I realize I've posted quite a number of NYC landmark locations. I lived in Brooklyn and then Manhattan most of my life and until you've seen some of these locations in person, movies really don't do them justice. So to all members if you ever get the chance, take a trip to NYC it's a great place to live and to visit.

• Like 1

Cloverfield (2008) Statue of Liberty

MV5BZDNhNDJlNDktZDI4OC00OTE3LWI2M2UtOThk

Independence Day (1996) White House

spaceship-destroys-whitehouse-independen

• Like 1