TopBilled

ClassiCategories

11,274 posts in this topic

Mary Jane Saunders  (she played Temple's role in the remake of Little Miss Marker)

Good one. I believe the remake was called SORROWFUL JONES. Saunders had a few more parts, but her film career was not too substantial.

Good one. I believe the remake was called SORROWFUL JONES. Saunders had a few more parts, but her film career was not too substantial.

Yes, it was Sorrowful Jones (with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball). 

By the way, it was nice to see Sybil Jason on the list.  I wish TCM would show her movies more often. 

On 9/11/2015 at 7:38 PM, Azure said:

Yes, it was Sorrowful Jones (with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball). 

By the way, it was nice to see Sybil Jason on the list.  I wish TCM would show her movies more often. 

I'm a Sybil Jason fan, so I agree with you on that! 

There are probably some others we are missing in this category. Maybe we could mention Donna Corcoran-- she came along right around the time Shirley left the movies. Donna was MGM's replacement for Margaret O'Brien.

And then there is Janet Chapman-- definitely Warners' replacement for Sybil Jason, cut out of the same Shirley Temple moppet mold.

• Like 1

I'm a Sybil Jason fan, so I agree with you on that! 

There are probably some others we are missing in this category. Maybe we could mention Donna Corcoran-- she came along right around the time Shirley left the movies. Donna was MGM's replacement for Margaret O'Brien.

And then there is Janet Chapman-- definitely Warners' replacement for Sybil Jason, cut out of the same Shirley Temple moppet mold.

I'm glad you like Sybil Jason, too! 

Yes, Donna Corcoran and Janet Chapman are good ones. 

How about Natalie Wood (as a child)?

On 9/12/2015 at 8:44 PM, Azure said:

I'm glad you like Sybil Jason, too! 

Yes, Donna Corcoran and Janet Chapman are good ones. 

How about Natalie Wood (as a child)?

Yes. Natalie Wood sort of takes over at Fox, after Shirley leaves to work for MGM and David Selznick.

By the way, the first time I watched a Sybil Jason movie was probably the fall of 2008, shortly after I started getting TCM. I had never heard of her before!

Yes. Natalie Wood sort of takes over at Fox, after Shirley leaves to work for MGM and David Selznick.

By the way, the first time I watched a Sybil Jason movie was probably the fall of 2008, shortly after I started getting TCM. I had never heard of her before!

Before I started watching TCM, I had never heard of her either!  Actually, I only found out about her a few years ago when TCM had a mini-marathon of her films.  I've been a fan of hers ever since.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of her movies since then.  I've seen her in The Little Princess, but that was really Shirley Temple's movie.

On 9/13/2015 at 12:50 PM, Azure said:

Before I started watching TCM, I had never heard of her either!  Actually, I only found out about her a few years ago when TCM had a mini-marathon of her films.  I've been a fan of hers ever since.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of her movies since then.  I've seen her in The Little Princess, but that was really Shirley Temple's movie.

That's when I first took notice of her. Then, I started following her on Facebook. She was still alive then, and she would occasionally post messages to her fans. When she became ill, her assistant would post...then, inevitably, he told us she had passed away.

THE GREAT O'MALLEY seems to be the Sybil Jason film that pops up most, probably because it has Bogart and Pat O'Brien in it. And I FOUND STELLA PARISH airs sometimes, because it's a Kay Francis flick.

That's when I first took notice of her. Then, I started following her on Facebook. She was still alive then, and she would occasionally post messages to her fans. When she became ill, her assistant would post...then, inevitably, he told us she had passed away.

THE GREAT O'MALLEY seems to be the Sybil Jason film that pops up most, probably because it has Bogart and Pat O'Brien in it. And I FOUND STELLA PARISH airs sometimes, because it's a Kay Francis flick.

I didn't know Sybil Jason had a Facebook page!  It must have been nice to see the messages that she posted.  I've heard that she was a nice person.  It's too bad that she is no longer with us. 

I forgot that she was in I Found Stella Parish.  I haven't seen that movie in a while.  I don't think I've ever seen The Great O'Malley.  I'll be on the lookout for both of those movies.  Thanks!

• Like 1

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

twenty-first category 

Actors or actresses that aged considerably in one film

Barbara Stanwyck in THE GREAT MAN'S LADY

Greer Garson in MRS. PARKINGTON

Don Ameche in HEAVEN CAN WAIT

James Cagney--well, all 4 Cohans in YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

A TV movie, starring Raquel Welch, had her age to 102 in The Legend of Walks Far Woman, which was based on the actual life of a Native American.

Gene Tierney in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

In the following movies, the actors appear as elderly people in the beginning of the film and are later seen as their normal young selves:

Robert Donat in Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Orson Welles in Citizen Kane

Jeanette MacDonald in Maytime

Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour in Road to Utopia

Merle Oberon, Alan Marshal, Joseph Cotten and George Reeves in Lydia

• Like 1

On 9/14/2015 at 4:45 PM, Azure said:

Gene Tierney in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

In the following movies, the actors appear as elderly people in the beginning of the film and are later seen as their normal young selves:

Robert Donat in Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Orson Welles in Citizen Kane

Jeanette MacDonald in Maytime

Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour in Road to Utopia

Merle Oberon, Alan Marshal, Joseph Cotten and George Reeves in Lydia

Great examples. That's also how the stories were structured in HEAVEN CAN WAIT, MRS. PARKINGTON and THE GREAT MAN'S LADY...with them as older characters in the beginning of the movie, then flashing back to their youthful days in the past.

I am sure there are quite a lot of these, if we think on it more. I'm a fan of these kinds of narratives, because they tend to have an epic feel to them. Though none of these stars actually did age the way the make-up artists had them age in these films. Welles was much fatter in real life when he was an elderly man. Donat really didn't live to a ripe old age. Stanwyck had lung problems and trouble breathing during her last decade. Etc.

Great examples. That's also how the stories were structured in HEAVEN CAN WAIT, MRS. PARKINGTON and THE GREAT MAN'S LADY...with them as older characters in the beginning of the movie, then flashing back to their youthful days in the past.

I am sure there are quite a lot of these, if we think on it more. I'm a fan of these kinds of narratives, because they tend to have an epic feel to them. Though none of these stars actually did age the way the make-up artists had them age in these films. Welles was much fatter in real life when he was an elderly man. Donat really didn't live to a ripe old age. Stanwyck had lung problems and trouble breathing during her last decade. Etc.

Yes, they really liked to do flashbacks in those days.  I like that kind of story structure too, but I don't like it when they give away the ending at the beginning of the film.  I remember watching the beginning of Wuthering Heights for the first time and thinking, "Oh, great.  Now I know that the lady's going to die at the end of the movie!"   I don't know...maybe it's just me.  I'm the type of person who likes to be surprised. 

The way the stars aged in the movies vs. how they aged in real life would be interesting to explore.  I bet it would make a fun thread topic.  I'm going to look at a few pictures later on to do some comparisons. 

Here's one more to add to the list:  Bette Davis in The Old Maid

On 9/15/2015 at 10:25 PM, Azure said:

Yes, they really liked to do flashbacks in those days.  I like that kind of story structure too, but I don't like it when they give away the ending at the beginning of the film.  I remember watching the beginning of Wuthering Heights for the first time and thinking, "Oh, great.  Now I know that the lady's going to die at the end of the movie!"   I don't know...maybe it's just me.  I'm the type of person who likes to be surprised. 

The way the stars aged in the movies vs. how they aged in real life would be interesting to explore.  I bet it would make a fun thread topic.  I'm going to look at a few pictures later on to do some comparisons. 

Here's one more to add to the list:  Bette Davis in The Old Maid

Let us know how your comparisons turn out. 

As for WUTHERING HEIGHTS, I think sometimes they used the flashback that way to soften the blow. Not everyone who had gone to see the movie had previously read the book...so in order to prevent people from getting upset because she dies at the end, this knowledge is given up front so there is plenty of time to accept the (relatively) unhappy ending. 

Let us know how your comparisons turn out. 

As for WUTHERING HEIGHTS, I think sometimes they used the flashback that way to soften the blow. Not everyone who had gone to see the movie had previously read the book...so in order to prevent people from getting upset because she dies at the end, this knowledge is given up front so there is plenty of time to accept the (relatively) unhappy ending. 

You have a good point about the flashbacks, TopBilled.  I've never considered the "softening the blow" idea before. 

As for the comparisons....I've only had time to look up a couple of actors so far.  Here are a couple of pictures of Barbara Stanwyck.

Here is my beloved Babs accepting the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987:

babs2_zpsmrp0dsyb.jpg

This is how she was made up in The Great Man's Lady:

babs3_zpskdc5finm.jpg

• Like 1

You have a good point about the flashbacks, TopBilled.  I've never considered the "softening the blow" idea before. 

As for the comparisons....I've only had time to look up a couple of actors so far.  Here are a couple of pictures of Barbara Stanwyck.

Here is my beloved Babs accepting the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987:

babs2_zpsmrp0dsyb.jpg

This is how she was made up in The Great Man's Lady:

babs3_zpskdc5finm.jpg

I think Stanwyck aged better in real life than she did in THE GREAT MAN'S LADY. Don't you? Of course, she likely had some plastic surgery.

Comparisons got me curious too

mcagp5old.jpg

Yankee-Doodle-1.jpg

The big difference I see is that in real life, when Jimmy aged, his face got puffier. But in the film (assuming this is from YANKEE DOODLE DANDY), his cheeks and whole face still look too young.

I think Stanwyck aged better in real life than she did in THE GREAT MAN'S LADY. Don't you? Of course, she likely had some plastic surgery.

I think so, too!   However, I think that she was supposed to be around 100 years old in The Great Man's Lady.  She was only around 80 years old when she got the AFI award.  She passed away a few years after that.  I don't know whether she had plastic surgery or not.  If she had lived to be 100, I'm sure she still would have been belle of the ball! 

• Like 1

Comparisons got me curious too

mcagp5old.jpg

Yankee-Doodle-1.jpg

I'm glad you got on the "aging actors" bandwagon, LonesomePolecat.  It's kind of fun doing the comparisons, isn't it?  Those are great pictures of James Cagney.  Like TopBilled, I think Cagney aged better in the movie.  His face still looks pretty young in the bottom picture.  

Remember the scene where Cagney is made up as an old man and fools Joan Leslie into thinking that he really is old?  That's one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie.  I've been looking for a picture of him in that scene, but I can't find one. 

I'm glad you got the "aging actors" bandwagon, LonesomePolecat.  It's kind of fun doing the comparisons, isn't it?  Those are great pictures of James Cagney.  Like TopBilled, I think Cagney aged better in the movie.  

You two have gone off on such an interesting track that I can't post the next category yet... LOL

You two have gone off on such an interesting track that I can't post the next category yet... LOL

Sorry for going slightly off track, TopBilled.  Feel free to post the next category. 

:)