TopBilled

ClassiCategories

12,815 posts in this topic

I didn't realize Bergen worked with him so often. I had to look it up, and you're right. She was in AT WAR WITH THE ARMY; THAT'S MY BOY; and THE STOOGE (the only one I knew for sure).

I didn't realize it either until I looked it up.  I only knew that she was in At War with the Army

:)

I didn't realize it either until I looked it up.  I only knew that she was in At War with the Army

I wish TCM would show more of Jerry & Dean's early stuff. And I wish we'd see other Polly Bergen films turn up on TCM, too.

twenty-sixth category

People in more than one Jerry Lewis movie

DEAN MARTIN (17 movies)

KATHLEEN FREEMAN (12 movies)

DEL MOORE (12 movies)

Hans Conreid (4)

Susan Oliver (2)

Everett Sloane (2)

Marie Wilson, Diane Lynn, and John Lund were all in MY FRIEND IRMA and MY FRIEND IRMA GOES WEST with Jerry

• Like 1

Hans Conreid (4)

Susan Oliver (2)

Everett Sloane (2)

Marie Wilson, Diane Lynn, and John Lund were all in MY FRIEND IRMA and MY FRIEND IRMA GOES WEST with Jerry

Glad you mentioned the IRMA flicks. I thought about those, too.

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

twenty-sixth category 

On-set deaths

FRED KENNEDY (stuntman killed in a fall while filming THE HORSE SOLDIERS)

ERIC FLEMING (canoe overturned while making HIGH JUNGLE in Peru)

VIC MORROW (helicopter crash during the filming of TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE)

JON-ERIK HEXUM (shooting accident on the set of TV's Cover Up)

Apparently a stunt pilot was killed doing TOP GUN and seems like Bruce Lee died doing ENTER THE DRAGON. Also seem to recall someone died filming the chariot race in the silent Ben Hur but I have no idea if that's true or not.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2015 at 2:19 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

Apparently a stunt pilot was killed doing TOP GUN and seems like Bruce Lee died doing ENTER THE DRAGON. Also seem to recall someone died filming the chariot race in the silent Ben Hur but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Yes, I have a feeling there were many stunt-related deaths during the production of classic Hollywood movies.

In some cases, the person may not have died immediately on-set...but was rushed to the hospital and passed away a short time later. There seem to be conflicting stories about Jean Harlow's death on the set of SARATOGA. And Tyrone Power supposedly had a heart attack while doing a fencing scene with George Sanders in SOLOMON AND SHEBA, but he did not die immediately.

twenty-seventh category

On-set deaths

Brandon Lee--accidentally shoot on the set of "The Crow"

• Like 1

twenty-seventh category

On-set deaths

- Redd Foxx  (suffered a fatal heart attack on the set of his upcoming TV sitcom The Royal Family.)

- John Jordan  (the second unit director who fell to his death from a plane while shooting a scene for the movie Catch-22)

• Like 1

Brandon Lee--accidentally shoot on the set of "The Crow"

Had forgotten about him. What a sad death that was.

- Redd Foxx  (suffered a fatal heart attack on the set of his upcoming TV sitcom The Royal Family.)

- John Jordan  (the second unit director who fell to his death from a plane while shooting a scene for the movie Catch-22)

John Candy died while making a film in Mexico. He had a heart attack in his hotel room (so technically not on set). He was only 43.

twenty-seventh category 

Films that had disastrous test screenings

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (surviving version is severely edited with a different ending)

SUNSET BOULEVARD (because of test audience laughter, Wilder scrapped the opening sequence that took place in a morgue)

PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID (Peckinpah's film had 20 minutes chopped off when test audiences failed to connect with some of the story)

twenty-eighth category

Films that had disastrous test screenings

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (surviving version is severely edited with a different ending)

SUNSET BOULEVARD (because of test audience laughter, Wilder scrapped the opening sequence that took place in a morgue)

PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID (Peckinpah's film had 20 minutes chopped off when test audiences failed to connect with some of the story)

- Toy Story (Jeffrey Katzenberg, the former chairman of Walt Disney Studios, objected to the original light-hearted storyline of the movie.  He insisted that the story should be "dark" and "edgy", so the folks at Pixar had to rewrite the story.  A test screening of the film in San Francisco was a disaster, prompting the head of Pixar to pull the film and completely rework it.  They ended up using their original storyline.)

- Ziegfeld Girl  (Spoiler alert:  In the original ending of the movie, Lana Turner's character dies.  This upset the test audience, so the actual moment of her death was cut from the movie.  This made the ending seem happier.  I don't know if the test screening was exactly "disastrous".)

- Freaks (The test audience reaction to the film was so negative that the film was cut from 90 minutes to just over 1 hour.  Even with the cuts, the film was still negatively received by the audience and the critics.  The movie was banned in the United Kingdom for 30 years.)

• Like 1

- Toy Story (Jeffrey Katzenberg, the former chairman of Walt Disney Studios, objected to the original light-hearted storyline of the movie.  He insisted that the story should be "dark" and "edgy", so the folks at Pixar had to rewrite the story.  A test screening of the film in San Francisco was a disaster, prompting the head of Pixar to pull the film and completely rework it.  They ended up using their original storyline.)

- Ziegfeld Girl  (Spoiler alert:  In the original ending of the movie, Lana Turner's character dies.  This upset the test audience, so the actual moment of her death was cut from the movie.  This made the ending seem happier.  I don't know if the test screening was exactly "disastrous".)

- Freaks (The test audience reaction to the film was so negative that the film was cut from 90 minutes to just over 1 hour.  Even with the cuts, the film was still negatively received by the audience and the critics.  The movie was banned in the United Kingdom for 30 years.)

Great comments. I am sure Lana dying in a movie did seem disastrous to audiences. LOL

I am sure Lana dying in a movie did seem disastrous to audiences. LOL

Ha!  I'm sure it did!

By the way, I found out that the storyline that was eventually used for Toy Story wasn't exactly the same as the original storyline.  The original version was quite different from the actual movie.  The final version of the story does have many of the same plot elements as the original, though.  I know that this isn't that big of a deal, but I just wanted my information to be as accurate as possible.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2015 at 7:43 PM, Azure said:

Ha!  I'm sure it did!

By the way, I found out that the storyline that was eventually used for Toy Story wasn't exactly the same as the original storyline.  The original version was quite different from the actual movie.  The final version of the story does have many of the same plot elements as the original, though.  I know that this isn't that big of a deal, but I just wanted my information to be as accurate as possible.  

Thanks for explaining that.

twenty-eighth category 

Movies that were remade in other genres

HIGH SIERRA (gangster picture) was remade as COLORADO TERRITORY (western)

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (rom-com) was remade as HIGH SOCIETY (musical)

WATERLOO BRIDGE (romance drama) was remade as GABY (musical)

twenty-ninth category

WATERLOO BRIDGE (romance drama) was remade as GABI (musical)

Bachelor Mother (comedy) was remade as Bundle of Joy (musical)

The Milky Way (comedy) was remade as The Kid from Brooklyn (musical)

Seven Samurai (Japanese adventure film) was remade as The Magnificent Seven (western)

• Like 1

twenty-ninth category

WATERLOO BRIDGE (romance drama) was remade as GABY (musical)

"The Shop Around the Corner" (rom-com) was remade as "In the Good Old Summertime" (musical) then remade as "You've Got Mail" (rom-com) 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2015 at 5:37 PM, KarmaGirl said:

"The Shop Around the Corner" (rom-com) was remade as "In the Good Old Summertime" (musical) then remade as "You've Got Mail" (rom-com) 

Good one. I just thought of another-- THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (crime caper) was remade as THE BADLANDERS (western)

Here are a couple more for the list:

The Women (comedy) was remade as The Opposite Sex (musical)

Ninotchka (comedy) was remade as Silk Stockings (musical)

• Like 1

Here are a couple more for the list:

The Women (comedy) was remade as The Opposite Sex (musical)

Ninotchka (comedy) was remade as Silk Stockings (musical)

Yes. And then NINOTCHKA/SILK STOCKINGS was used again as the basis for THE IRON PETTICOAT (a cold war comedy).

Yes. And then NINOTCHKA/SILK STOCKINGS was used again as the basis for THE IRON PETTICOAT (a cold war comedy).

Oh, I didn't know that!  Thanks for the info.

Oh, I didn't know that!  Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. I think the screenwriter for THE IRON PETTICOAT had previously worked on the script for COMRADE X, a Hedy Lamarr picture that borrowed heavily from NINOTCHKA. So obviously, NINOTCHKA was a very influential movie and its plot was recycled several times.