TopBilled

ClassiCategories

11,238 posts in this topic

There was.  I wore out my cassettes of both soundtracks.  

I was watching some last season episodes of Cagney & Lacey on Hulu yesterday. And Merry Clayton plays a recurring role as a single mother cop. I knew her name was familiar, and when I looked her up on the IMDb, it said she had done a song on the DIRTY DANCING soundtrack. She seems to have had quite an eclectic career.

Oh my goodness.....you're talking about 80s music.  Hold on to your hats, kids.  We're going to have a party up in here.

back%20to%20the%2080s_zps1afdgiul.jpg

Purple Rain

Flashdance

Fame

The Big Chill

Beverly Hills Cop

• Like 1

There was.  I wore out my cassettes of both soundtracks.  

:)

Am I the only one who's happy to see someone mentioning "cassettes"?  I confess that I still have several cassettes and a cassette player as well.  I also have a few records.....but I don't have a record player anymore! 

• Like 1

I was watching some last season episodes of Cagney & Lacey on Hulu yesterday. And Merry Clayton plays a recurring role as a single mother cop. I knew her name was familiar, and when I looked her up on the IMDb, it said she had done a song on the DIRTY DANCING soundtrack. She seems to have had quite an eclectic career.

She sings a song called "Yes".  It's a fun song.  I want to post the video, but I'm not sure it would be allowed due to copyright issues.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2015 at 4:43 PM, Azure said:

Oh my goodness.....you're talking about 80s music.  Hold on to your hats, kids.  We're going to have a party up in here.

back%20to%20the%2080s_zps1afdgiul.jpg

Purple Rain

Flashdance

Fame

The Big Chill

Beverly Hills Cop

Love the image. I am glad you mentioned FAME-- there were so many big soundtrack-driven movies in the 80s.

THE BIG CHILL used a lot of Motown stuff from the 60s and set a trend (nostalgia). 

:)

Am I the only one who's happy to see someone mentioning "cassettes"?  I confess that I still have several cassettes and a cassette player as well.  I also have a few records.....but I don't have a record player anymore! 

I still have the 45rpms of the songs from "Dirty Dancing".  I wish I had a record player.

• Like 1

I still have the 45rpms of the songs from "Dirty Dancing".  I wish I had a record player.

Someone is probably selling one on e-Bay. :)

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

thirty-second category 

Classic film stars 'reduced' to doing daytime television

JOAN BENNETT in Dark Shadows

MACDONALD CAREY in Days of Our Lives

DANA ANDREWS in Bright Promise

thirty-third category

Ruth Warrick in "All My Children"

On 10/5/2015 at 10:49 AM, KarmaGirl said:

Ruth Warrick in "All My Children"

Good example, and she was wonderful on that show.

How about Liz Taylor reduced to doing a short-term role in General Hospital...? Or Joan Collins doing a three-month stint on Guiding Light in 2002...she was quite good.

thirty-third category

Geraldine Fitzgerald, Patty McCormack and Gale Sondergaard in The Best of Everything

KarmaGirl, we're each going to have to go out and get a record player!  I may ask Santa for one for Christmas.  After all, I was a good girl this year.  Sort of. 

:D

Here's one I could go for:

recordplayer_zpsajm3dydp.jpg

Look, it even has a CD player!  Now we can embrace the past and the present AT THE SAME TIME! 

I'm sold! 

• Like 3

On 10/5/2015 at 1:23 PM, Azure said:

Geraldine Fitzgerald, Patty McCormack and Gale Sondergaard in The Best of Everything

I had never heard of it and had to look it up on wiki. Interesting that it only lasted six months. The film version is great.

And speaking of hit films adapted into daytime serials, Return to Peyton Place (1972-74) had Alex Nicol and Susan Oliver slumming on soaps after their film careers had fizzled out.

Some more that I just remembered:

Richard Egan had a starring role on the CBS soap Capitol during its entire run. Carolyn Jones played his wife the first year, before cancer struck her. Also, Janis Paige appeared in the final months as Egan's presumed dead first wife. And Rory Calhoun had a featured role as the patriarch of a rival family.

Tippi Hedren did a short story arc on The Bold and the Beautiful in 1990.

I had never heard of it and had to look it up on wiki. Interesting that it only lasted six months. The film version is great.

I hadn't heard about it either until I stumbled upon the information.  I've never seen the film version, but I've heard that it's really good  I hope it will be shown on TCM one of these days.

I hadn't heard about it either until I stumbled upon the information.  I've never seen the film version, but I've heard that it's really good  I hope it will be shown on TCM one of these days.

THE BEST OF EVERYTHING has only aired once on TCM...in 2014, when they had an evening of Stephen Boyd films. It does, however, turn up occasionally on FXM Retro.

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

thirty-third category 

Early TV in classic films

TRAPPED BY TELEVISION (a Mary Astor film from 1936!)

DIAL 1119 (there's a closed-circuit TV in the bar...and the year is 1950)

IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU (Judy Holliday appears on a TV panel show)

thirty-fourth category

I once saw a movie from the 1930s that had a television, but I can't remember the name of it.  I don't even remember who was in the movie!  In the movie, there was a woman didn't want her son to go to war (during WWI).  They (correctly) predicted that there would be another big war in the future.  I tried to do a search, but came up empty-handed.  I'll keep looking for the movie and for other movies.  I'll come back to this thread later tonight.

State of the Union (1948)  Spencer Tracy is running for President of the United States and the film ends with a broadcast emanating from his home.  I've always been intrigued by the obviously early model television in his and Katharine Hepburn's home in this movie.  It resembles a record player more than a television. 

Dreamboat (1952) Clifton Webb, a respected college professor, finds out to his dismay that his old silent movies are now playing on television.

• Like 1

I once saw a movie from the 1930s that had a television, but I can't remember the name of it.  I don't even remember who was in the movie!  In the movie, there was a woman didn't want her son to go to war (during WWI).  They (correctly) predicted that there would be another big war in the future.  I tried to do a search, but came up empty-handed.  I'll keep looking for the movie and for other movies.  I'll come back to this thread later tonight.

Sounds like the 1936 British sci-fi film THINGS TO COME. Is that it?

thirty-fourth category

All That Heaven Allows--Jane Wyman plays a widow and she said she didn't want a television in her house.  Later on, her kids get her a TV set for Christmas. (I think it was Christmas.  It's been awhile since I've seen this movie)

In Charlie Chaplin's movie Modern Times (1936), there was a television (I'm using the word quite loosely here). 

2e663b15-58d7-46ec-a1a8-ab28680fee0b_zps

• Like 1

Sounds like the 1936 British sci-fi film THINGS TO COME. Is that it?

Unfortunately, that's not it.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  I'll keep looking. 

All That Heaven Allows--Jane Wyman plays a widow and she said she didn't want a television in her house.  Later on, her kids get her a TV set for Christmas. (I think it was Christmas.  It's been awhile since I've seen this movie)

Yes, I thought about mentioning that. Glad you did. What a classic scene. She can have hunky Rock Hudson, or a new TV. Which would you pick? LOL

Unfortunately, that's not it.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  I'll keep looking. 

Let us know when you find it!