Sign in to follow this  
laffite

QUOTES

209 posts in this topic

Favorite quotes, anyone?

No quotes from movies, please ... there is another thread for that. But quotes from movie people, actors, etc. are fine of course.

Quotes that you like, quotes that found in anthologies are a good source, how about quotes of your own?

I'm hoping that Politics and Religion and other potentially incendiary subjects might be avoided, at least in the extreme. There are interesting quotes along these lines but please no protracted attacks. If a person doesn't like Liberals, or Conservatives, or is anti-religious, etc,. don't overdo it. There could be threads of subject matter that a certain quote might generate, but let's avoid subjects that are going to start World Wars. Let's not use this thread to advance our own agendas.

Comments about the quotes are certainly welcome, however.

Here are a few for starters:

Anyone with a cellphone today is paparazzi; anyone with a Twitter account is a reporter; anyone with YouTube access is a filmmaker. When everyone is a paparazzi, reporter and filmmaker, everyone else is a public figure. –Thomas Friedman (June 23, 2012)

I didn't find it in a quote anthology. It was something I extracted from one of Friedman's columns----laffite)

==

To die for an idea; it is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it would be if men died for ideas that were true. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

==

To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely that there's more idleness and abuse of government favors among the economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged. -Norman Mailer, author (1923-2007)

==

I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate. -Elbert Hubbard, author, editor, printer (1856-1915)

==

Everybody, soon or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences. -Robert Louis Stevenson, novelist, essayist, and poet (1850-1894)

(I like this one, so concise and so true. It suggest a party we may not want to attend. No matter how carefully we might want conduct our lives, things will inevitably materialize around us. Stuff does indeed happen)

==

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

===

laffite

• Like 1

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get use to the idea." - Robert Heinlein

"A wife's unique right, fixed by tradition, to manipulate her own husband runs unbroken and invariant at least back to Eve and the Apple." - Robert Heinlein

"Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house." - Robert Heinlein

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

“The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

“He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.” - P.G. Wodehouse

“He felt like a man who, chasing rainbows, has had one of them suddenly turn and bite him in the leg.” -P.G. Wodehouse

Are we allowed to provide quotes from television programs? I had thought to begin a thread concerning them because they are unwelcome in movie-quote threads. I will not post here prior to permission because your original post speaks of literate examples.

Are we allowed to provide quotes from television programs? I had thought to begin a thread concerning them because they are unwelcome in movie-quote threads. I will not post here prior to permission because your original post speaks of literate examples.

I would rather not include quotes from television programs. Just in the interest of maintaining the integrity of this thread. I think that your idea stands alone by itself and it would make a good sister-thread to the movie quote thread in Gen Disc.

Thank you for asking.

laffite

" If Jesus Christ were alive today, the last thing he'd want to be thought of as, is a Christian"

------ Mark Twain

"It's too bad that the only people qualified to be president and to solve all the world's problems are too busy cutting hair and driving taxicabs"

-----George Burns

"WHO you are isn't as important as WHAT."

---Anon.

Sepiatone

"Always remember you are absolutely unique...just like everybody else."

-Margaret Mead, anthropologist

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as you please."

-Mark Twain

"When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. But, when you sit on a red-hot cinder, a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein

There were some great quotes on here. Mine is probably not considered a quote but it is how I try to live.

"And in the end

the love you take

is equal to

the love you make"

Beatles

• Like 1

There were some great quotes on here. Mine is probably not considered a quote but it is how I try to live.

"And in the end

the love you take

is equal to

the love you make"

Beatles

"Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl

But she doesn't have a lot to say

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl

But she changes from day to day

I wanna tell her that I love her a lot

But I gotta get a bellyful of wine

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl

Someday I'm gonna make her mine

Oh, yeah, someday I'm gonna make her mine"

(...sorry mockingbird...just figured I put the finishing touches on that Abbey Road album for ya here, that's all) ;)

"Always remember you are absolutely unique...just like everybody else."

-Margaret Mead, anthropologist

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as you please."

-Mark Twain

"When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. But, when you sit on a red-hot cinder, a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein

I flunked my Einstein/Relativity class in college. If I had known that quote I might of got a D-.

• Like 1

"My life is in the hands of any fool who can cause me to lose my temper"

My grandmother stitched that into a sampler I grew up looking at in her house( Wish I knew what became of it!).

Sepiatone

"My life is in the hands of any fool who can cause me to lose my temper"

My grandmother stitched that into a sampler I grew up looking at in her house( Wish I knew what became of it!).

Sepiatone

Maybe she got mad at someone and ripped it to shreds.

==

==

==

;)

Just kidding. I want to make that clear,

after all this is about Grandma.

Grandmas are cool.

;)

==

• Like 1

Watch your thoughts;

They become words.

Watch your words;

They become actions.

Watch your actions;

They become habits.

Watch your habits;

They become character.

Watch your character;

It becomes your destiny.

Lao Tzu

Dargo,

It's funny about Her Majesty at the end of Abbey Road in that I can't recall when I learned that little song was there. I had the album and played it often, never knowing it was there...until one time I was a little slow to remove the record player arm. Very surprising but then again so was the strange one at the end of Sgt Pepper.

• Like 1

Mockingbird, your Lao Tzu entry sort of reminds me of Carl Sandburg's "Primer Lesson".

Wonder which came first.

Yeah, that "end of record" stuff was a lot of fun.

Recall at the end of side 1 of The James Gang's first LP, when the tone arm reached the "label district " of the platter, you'd hear a voice beckon you to "Turn me over!  Turn me over! and keep it up until you picked up the tonearm AND turn it over.

And at the end of side 2, when the tonearm ventured onto the "label district" the same voice would beckon you to "Play me again!  Play me AGAIN!  Play me AGAIN..."  of course, over and over... :P

Sepiatone

We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them.

Albert Einstein

I do love quotes. They not only make you think, they make you think about yourself.

Sepiatone,

Lao Tzu lived in the 6th century BCE. I wanted to put that down but I forgot.

I must dig out my James Gang and give a listen, though I'm not sure if I have their first album.

Tonearm- thank you! I couldn't think of that word for nothing!

• Like 1

I've always liked Dr. Seuss' philosophy and lessons that he embeds in his delightful children's books--these lessons are good for both kids and adults to remember and use in their everyday lives. 

My favorite is probably from I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!  It's something that I always strive for--being curious and gaining knowledge.  Never stop learning. 

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

I've always liked Dr. Seuss' philosophy and lessons that he embeds in his delightful children's books--these lessons are good for both kids and adults to remember and use in their everyday lives. 

My favorite is probably from I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!  It's something that I always strive for--being curious and gaining knowledge.  Never stop learning. 

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

My favorite SEUSS referrence is the story my wife told me some time ago.

When she was little, she didn't start to learn speaking English( she was born to TEJANO parents in Laredo Texas, and they shortly moved up here to MI, but only at the time, spoke "Tex-Mex" spanish around the house) until she starte school.

In an effort to speak English better, a girl at her school told her that if she READ more books, she'd learn to SPEAK ENGLISH better.  But, taking her advice, my wife-as-little-girl went to the school's tiny library to check out a few books.  But, judging a book "by it's cover", and because she liked the drawings on both the cover, AND inside, she checked out a few DR. SEUSS books!   :P

In order to learn BETTER ENGLISH!!  :D

She did admit that they didn't help much!

Sepiatone

Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as

they are, not as they ought to be.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself

than in me.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.

• Like 1

===

"To freely admit that you know utterly nothing about anything whatsoever

is a step on the path of the Peace of Dog."

===

Cannibal, n.  A gastronome of the old school who preserves the

simple tastes and adhers to the natural diet of the pre-pork period.

Circus, n.  A place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted

to see men, women and children acting the fool.

A.B.

"Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members. The virtue in most request is conformity. Self-reliance is its aversion. It loves not realities and creators, but names and customs." ----Emerson

"Television is something the Russians invented to destroy American education."

"There are three signs of senility. The first sign is that a man forgets his theorems. The second sign is that he forgets to zip up. The third sign is that he forgets to zip down."

---- Paul Erdös, mathematician

"Television is something the Russians invented to destroy American education."

"There are three signs of senility. The first sign is that a man forgets his theorems. The second sign is that he forgets to zip up. The third sign is that he forgets to zip down."

---- Paul Erdös, mathematician

I'm glad I'm not a mathematician.

==

Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person,

having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all

right out, just as they are -- chaff and grain together -- certain that a

faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with

the breath of kindness blow the rest away. -George Eliot (pen name of Mary

Ann Evans), novelist (1819-1880)

==

They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing

now. -Bob Monkhouse, comedian (1928-2003)

==

"There is something not entirely displeasing about the misfortune of others."

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

1613-1680