Sign in to follow this  
laffite

QUOTES

209 posts in this topic

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum -- even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." ---Noam Chomsky

4 minutes ago, laffite said:

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum -- even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." ---Noam Chomsky

So what does that quote mean to you, laffite? Do you think such limitation is currently occurring, and if so, where and how? What "presuppositions of the system" are being reinforced?

33 minutes ago, laffite said:

That's very much like the idea of a parent giving a child two choices in footwear that is to be purchased, which convinces the little tyke that he/she really is making a decision, while the adult knows they are really totally in charge. Now in the case of dictators and their wives, like Evita Peron, you don't even give the people a choice of two shoes, you just confiscate all their money through government procedures and then go out in the streets and hand them some lousy footwear and the dumb ones will thank you as they did Evita, for being so good to them. Great topic, Laffite!

On 12/7/2017 at 11:58 AM, LawrenceA said:

So what does that quote mean to you, laffite? Do you think such limitation is currently occurring, and if so, where and how? What "presuppositions of the system" are being reinforced?

[]

3 hours ago, laffite said:

When I first read this post It reminded me of our Governments attempts to limit RT tv.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, LawrenceA said:

There seemed to be a time when we had some very interesting conversations on a few topics. I was hoping to start such an exchange, as you were one of the posters on here whose opinions I respected, and I did not express, nor intended to express, any hostility toward you, nor Chomsky, nor his quote. If that's how you took it then you have my sympathy, but no offense was intended.

However, while there have been few interactions between you and I of late, the couple that have occurred recently seem to end in some sort of misunderstanding or barely contained antagonism. As such, and as I stated earlier, I will desist in trying to engage you any further, to what appears to be a mutual benefit.