Sign in to follow this  
HowBoutThat

Help With Movie Title, Please?

10 posts in this topic

Hello! I've been looking from the title of this film for a couple of years now. I first saw it on TCM, and I KNEW I should have written it down then.

It's in black and white, and it has sound. It's about a doctor that digs up corpses in order to study human anatomy and further medical knowledge about surgeries. He does autopsies on them. The catch is the film is set sometime in the 1700's (I want to say shortly after the American Revolution) and it takes place in one of the original colonies, so surgery and digging up corpses are huge no-nos, obviously.

Near the beginning of the film he's about to get hanged but accidentally gets saved by this group of ruffians. He then has to help cure one of the ruffians (I think it was either the leader or the leader's wife) of an ailment under threat of death. Afterwards they're really impressed and the leader wants the doctor to stay with them. The doctor doesn't want to though because he wants to continue his studies.

I'm pretty hazy on the middle part of the movie, but he ends up settling in a town. He's very well liked and considered respectable, and there's a female love interest. However, he's still snatching bodies to study. There's only so many places to get bodies in the area, so people are starting to notice that graves are being desecrated. He's eventually found out. 

The ending of the movie deals with a shoot out between the ruffians and towns people at a house. The doctor performs surgery on an ill woman during the shootout and saves her life.

The movie has a lot of humor. I wouldn't call it a comedy though. 

See if this is the one.

The Body Snatcher (1945)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037549/

In Edinburgh in 1831, Dr. Wolfe MacFarlane runs a medical school where Donald Fettes is a student. Fettes is interested in helping a young girl who has lost the use of her legs. He is certain that MacFarlane's surgical skills could be put to great use but he is reluctant to do so. The good Dr. MacFarlane has a secret that soon becomes all too obvious to young Fettes, who has only recently been promoted as his assistant: he has been paying a local cabbie, John Gray, to supply him with dead bodies for anatomical research. Gray constantly harasses MacFarlane and clearly has a hold over him dating to a famous trial many years before where Gray refused to identify the man for whom he was robbing graves. Fettes isn't aware of any of this but soon realizes exactly how Gray obtains the bodies they use in their anatomy classes.

See if this is the one.

I pulled up the trailer for this movie. It's not what I'm looking for. Thank you for taking the time to look though!

Okay here is another one.

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052811/

In 1828 in Edinburgh, Scotland, grave robbers provide Dr. Knox with the corpses of the recently deceased. Knox is a professor at the university where medical students take in his every word. He is not only venerated by his students but by his ward and niece Martha, who has returned from her Paris finishing school unexpectedly. He is somewhat arrogant however and is held in contempt by many of his less able colleagues. One of his students, Chris Jackson meets barmaid Mary Patterson when he goes to the tavern to pay off the grave robbers and become involved with her. William Hare and William Burke take to killing lodgers at Burke's house and delivering them to Knox as a means to make money. One of Dr. Knox's colleagues, Dr. Geoffrey Mitchell, begins to suspect the origin of the numerous corpses Hare and Burke provide. When Hare kills Mary in a fit of passion, Jackson discovers her body in the lecture room and he too is killed by the body snatchers. Their scheme begins to unravel quickly leading to their arrest. Knox also has to deal with the fallout of his implicit participation in their scheme.

Nah, the film is set in the USA.

Here is one more result, but said to not be a very good one.

Strangers of the Evening (1932)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023528/

So far I filtered on both IMDB Keywords "grave" and "doctor", and also the "Horror" Genre, all at once, just to narrow it down.  If this last one isn't it, then maybe another combination might work.  I 'll check back tonight.  The Keywords list is known to be imperfect and incomplete.

Here is one more result, but said to not be a very good one.

Strangers of the Evening (1932)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023528/

So far I filtered on both IMDB Keywords "grave" and "doctor", and also the "Horror" Genre, all at once, just to narrow it down.  If this last one isn't it, then maybe another combination might work.  I 'll check back tonight.  The Keywords list is known to be imperfect and incomplete.

Oh snap! I didn't even think about searching IMDB. I've been going through movie lists for everything I can find from 1920-1960 on Wikipedia. 

It's not a horror at all, even by older standards. It's a drama with comedy sprinkled through-out it. Very pro-science feeling through the whole thing. I probably should have mentioned that in the first post. Thank you for all your help. I'm going to dive into IMDB myself now that I've remembered it exists. :D