Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

hollywood in a severe decline

67 posts in this topic

just ask yourselves this...where would Hollywood today be without cgi?

now take the new vacation movie. it is now rusty's turn to be a complete a-whole like his dad. stupid. what? they think chevy chase is over the hill comedic-wise? I sure as hell doan. here's the story I woulda gone with. a nostalgic Clark Griswold gets the idea to recreate his family's 1983 odyssey only this time he is even a bigger shtootz than before. maybe chase didn't wanna do that but he sure coulda imo if he wanted to. so we're suppose to buy Rusty Griswold being just as big a shtootz as chevy was in all the past movies? I mean how smart does a Hollywood person hafta be to see chevy chase is at the heart of all those films and that is the problem in Hollywood today, near total counter-intuitiveness. so vacation will fail because these Hollywood shtootzes didn't have the sense to hand the comedic chores over to chase like they should have. how dumb can you get. :huh:

You are absolutely right, I'm sad to say.  The number of medium budgeted films directed to an 'adult' audience has shrunk considerably over the last 20 years.  Studios prefer to put all of their rotten eggs into one big blockbuster basket now.

Yes, there have always been blockbusters but not at the total expense of an abundance of good dramas which is the state of things these days.

I think you hit the nail and that is what I have been getting at. they have been aiming at fifteen year olds for years now and what about everyone else? they're just are no more Sidney Lumets, Robert Aldriches or John Sturges' any more. all we got are a bunch of quentin tarantinoes and spike lees who have a decidedly non-traditional approach to filmmaking. films are not gonna rise to being an artform simply on the basis of ultra-violence and cgi.

take Alfred Hitchcock, he didn't just throw mindless violence at the audience.

they can't even remake comedies good anymore. the new vacation movie. any stupe can figure out...easily...that the previous films irregardless of the setting or situation, were always built around the antics of Clark Griswold. that was the glue that made 'em work. today's hollywood stupes couldn't even figure that out?

I would watch the new film only for the chevy chase-beverly d'angelo cameos. no other reason to at all.

another thing, how come today's movie titles all sound like something that belongs on sesame street? :huh:

must be an indicator of the mentality of today's Hollywood studio executive. I doan doubt it. well, if the aging celebs of Hollywood's yesteryear on the tcm classic cruise doan mind. why should I? :)

My stars, one would think you care about all of this.

I don't.

I think you hit the nail and that is what I have been getting at. they have been aiming at fifteen year olds for years now and what about everyone else? they're just are no more Sidney Lumets, Robert Aldriches or John Sturges' any more. all we got are a bunch of quentin tarantinoes and spike lees.

Quentin Tarantino and Spike Lee?     You're over 10 years behind the curve.   Those two haven't been the leading directors of movies for a long time.    Who are you going to single out next,  Ron Howard?  :blink:

it used to be an actor had to be a triple threat but now it is all about looks, plastic surgery and sex tapes :rolleyes:

Quentin Tarantino and Spike Lee?     You're over 10 years behind the curve.   Those two haven't been the leading directors of movies for a long time.    Who are you going to single out next,  Ron Howard?  :blink:

..or D.W Griffith

Every now and then a movie with a unique plot comes out I like.  Examples "Jupiter Ascending" and "Elysium".  

Ron Howard! only decent film he's done is Apollo 13. :D

Oh brother, here we go again with this moronic topic...there seems to be one of these every month or so.

Like I said last time, there have ALWAYS been people complaining about the current state of cinematic affairs, since the days of the nickelodeon one-reelers, to the advent of sound; from the introduction of widescreen in the 50s to the start of the "New Hollywood" in the 70s. Someone somewhere was crying about their perceived decline in the state of things. There have ALWAYS been remakes, there have always been bad movies, there have always been pablum for the lowest common denominator crowd.

Name one great film and I'll list 20 from that same year that were absolutely terrible. And as for no dramas or movies of substance being released now, you just aren't looking. There are more feature films being released each year than ever before, of every conceivable genre and quality. If you can't find something that appeals to you, the problem isn't "Hollywood", it's you!

• Like 3

Oh brother, here we go again with this moronic topic...there seems to be one of these every month or so.

Like I said last time, there have ALWAYS been people complaining about the current state of cinematic affairs, since the days of the nickelodeon one-reelers, to the advent of sound; from the introduction of widescreen in the 50s to the start of the "New Hollywood" in the 70s. Someone somewhere was crying about their perceived decline in the state of things. There have ALWAYS been remakes, there have always been bad movies, there have always been pablum for the lowest common denominator crowd.

Name one great film and I'll list 20 from that same year that were absolutely terrible. And as for no dramas or movies of substance being released now, you just aren't looking. There are more feature films being released each year than ever before, of every conceivable genre and quality. If you can't find something that appeals to you, the problem isn't "Hollywood", it's you!

Why do you say that?

Isn't everyone here allowed to post about anything they want as often as they want?

Bless you, brother.

You aren't taking a serious look at the industry, my friend.  75% of the film distributors have closed up shop in the last 20 years because of the decline in genre and middle budgeted films.  That is where most adult dramas came from.

Sure there are still quality films being made but not in the numbers that we saw in the 80's.  

Maybe you have to be in this business to realize that.  There are not more films being released than ever before.  I have no idea where you come by that crazy notion.

• Like 1

You're right, I'm sorry. I am completely wrong and hereby retract every previous comment I have made. I am a clueless yokel outsider who is truly ignorant about all things. You have changed my mind. I now agree that we are living in the worst of times, all films post-1965 are garbage, only brain dead simpletons could possibly enjoy any new film, Hollywood hates their audiences, every movie in every theater released every week is just another mindless remake/reboot/sequel/superhero/sci-fi/horror/whatever type of movie you don't like crapfest.

You win.

You're right, I'm sorry. I am completely wrong and hereby retract every previous comment I have made. I am a clueless yokel outsider who is truly ignorant about all things. You have changed my mind. I now agree that we are living in the worst of times, all films post-1965 are garbage, only brain dead simpletons could possibly enjoy any new film, Hollywood hates their audiences, every movie in every theater released every week is just another mindless remake/reboot/sequel/superhero/sci-fi/horror/whatever type of movie you don't like crapfest.

You win.

I only took exception to your view that there were more films being made than ever before.  Not about the quality of them.

The numbers are continually on the decline.  And it is the medium budgeted films that are suffering the most.

Today it is either films being made for under 2 million or over 80 million.  

Way to overreact, LawrenceA!  I'm impressed.  :)  Do you take blood pressure medication?  What happens if something occurs to you that's really bad like having the tip of your finger touch a bowl of warm water?  :o   

Anyway, I take back anything I've ever said or posted since 1972.  I know what you're thinking . . . that I wasn't born until '73 . . . but I must've had some Womb Thoughts!  So I'm taking those back, too.

If everyone agreed with everything, this would be quite a boring message board wouldn't it ?

Let us remember (even those of us who weren't born yet ) Movies were dominant when they were the only visual media available for entertainment . The only real competition was the radio. 

Its no coincidence that the studio system, the time when most will say the classic era ended, and the first era when television surpassed movies, all happened at the same time. Approx the late 60's/early 70's. 

TV and movies have always been like a see saw: When one is up, the other is down. Right now, many of the top actors are doing tv work. Some of the best dramas are on tv. Does that mean they don't count simply because you can watch them at home instead of waiting in line to buy a ticket to watch with others ?

A good drama stands on its own, whether its on the big screen, tv, streaming or whatever comes next. You can't sit and pout that things aren't as they were. They never will be. And frankly, there were times back then when things weren't so great. Let's take off the rose colored glasses and be real.

And tv has advantages. You can make a mini series instead of just a film then wait a year for a sequel. (Mildred Pierce  2011). Look at the live performance of "The Sound of Music" On tv. I hear "The Wiz" is next. And look at the interviews and new things going on here at TCM.

What's important is that you open your mind to new ideas. Other opinions too.

• Like 5

If everyone agreed with everything, this would be quite a boring message board wouldn't it ?

Let us remember (even those of us who weren't born yet ) Movies were dominant when they were the only visual media available for entertainment . The only real competition was the radio. 

Its no coincidence that the studio system, the time when most will say the classic era ended, and the first era when television surpassed movies, all happened at the same time. Approx the late 60's/early 70's. 

TV and movies have always been like a see saw: When one is up, the other is down. Right now, many of the top actors are doing tv work. Some of the best dramas are on tv. Does that mean they don't count simply because you can watch them at home instead of waiting in line to buy a ticket to watch with others ?

A good drama stands on its own, whether its on the big screen, tv, streaming or whatever comes next. You can't sit and pout that things aren't as they were. They never will be. And frankly, there were times back then when things weren't so great. Let's take off the rose colored glasses and be real.

And tv has advantages. You can make a mini series instead of just a film then wait a year for a sequel. (Mildred Pierce  2011). Look at the live performance of "The Sound of Music" On tv. I hear "The Wiz" is next. And look at the interviews and new things going on here at TCM.

What's important is that you open your mind to new ideas. Other opinions too.

Nice post, GGGGerald. Especially this, good luck with it:

Other opinions too.

I am quite fond of alotta 70s films and a few 80s and 90s films. the problem is Hollywood today has only one demographic in mind, teenagers and young adults, mostly those who came of age in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

• Like 1

I am quite fond of alotta 70s films and a few 80s and 90s films. the problem is Hollywood today has only one demographic in mind, teenagers and young adults, mostly those who came of age in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

Have you noticed they have been putting classic films back in the theaters for one day a year or so ? They are trying to get older people to the theater. But, Home theaters with big screens, hi def, stereo sound etc...are keeping people at home. Of my older relatives, none go to the theaters even when there is a movie they like playing. Its so much easier to wait for it to come to tv.

Then you have those in ill health, those who no longer drive, those on fixed incomes who can't afford $12 tickets in some places. You add it all together, no too many seniors are coming to the theaters. Pair that with teens and kids taking movies to billion dollar box offices practically all summer. What would you expect the film makers to do ?

My parent can't go. My aunt and uncle went to one movie this century: "Lincoln" . They enjoyed it and the theater also. But, haven't been back. Why would anyone make movies for them ??  

• Like 1

Have you noticed they have been putting classic films back in the theaters for one day a year or so ? They are trying to get older people to the theater. But, Home theaters with big screens, hi def, stereo sound etc...are keeping people at home. Of my older relatives, none go to the theaters even when there is a movie they like playing. Its so much easier to wait for it to come to tv.

Then you have those in ill health, those who no longer drive, those on fixed incomes who can't afford $12 tickets in some places. You add it all together, no too many seniors are coming to the theaters. Pair that with teens and kids taking movies to billion dollar box offices practically all summer. What would you expect the film makers to do ?

My parent can't go. My aunt and uncle went to one movie this century: "Lincoln" . They enjoyed it and the theater also. But, haven't been back. Why would anyone make movies for them ??  

Exactly.  And hence the drastic decline in the numbers of medium budgeted films being made.

If you only have one fifth the number of adult dramas being made then it probably follows that there are probably 80% fewer good ones on offer today.

If you compared the 'In Production' charts that Variety puts out it is clear that the movie industry has shifted away from producing as many films as they once did.

Europe does. Having finally given up on TCM, I find Netflix a wonderful alternative. There are, usually, many intelligent recent ADULT, i.e., not moronic American, films that are intelligent, well written, well acted, and well directed, and 9 times out of 10 they are foreign.

Heck no, Hollyweird is not going to make any commercial films for adults. If there is one, it is usually European and given a glut of PR, e.g. The Marigold Hotel movies (the latest screwed up with the non-actor Richard Gere) or an indie that also gets PR. They are held up and shaken for all to see like the cub in The Lion King.

Of course America is mostly moronic, the movie viewing audience is moronic, the television audience is moronic, and the moguls in Hollyweird happily make another Dumb and Stupider or Vin Diesel movie to appeal to the lowest moronic denominator. 

Pay to see a movie in a theater where the morons use their cell phones or otherwise act as if they're in their living rooms? No thank you.

But guess what, Hollyweird is not waiting for me to go back to the theater. It is not in a severe decline, monetarily, as the morons pay and pay to see moronic movies. They are welcome to them.

• Like 1

Europe does. Having finally given up on TCM, I find Netflix a wonderful alternative. There are, usually, many intelligent recent ADULT, i.e., not moronic American, films that are intelligent, well written, well acted, and well directed, and 9 times out of 10 they are foreign.

Heck no, Hollyweird is not going to make any commercial films for adults. If there is one, it is usually European and given a glut of PR, e.g. The Marigold Hotel movies (the latest screwed up with the non-actor Richard Gere) or an indie that also gets PR. They are held up and shaken for all to see like the cub in The Lion King.

Of course America is mostly moronic, the movie viewing audience is moronic, the television audience is moronic, and the moguls in Hollyweird happily make another Dumb and Stupider or Vin Diesel movie to appeal to the lowest moronic denominator. 

Pay to see a movie in a theater where the morons use their cell phones or otherwise act as if they're in their living rooms? No thank you.

But guess what, Hollyweird is not waiting for me to go back to the theater. It is not in a severe decline, monetarily, as the morons pay and pay to see moronic movies. They are welcome to them.

By Jove, I think he's got it ! :P

Just remember though, when a movie pulls in billions, Europeans are watching also. I have a friend in Brazil who watches movies the same day I do.  The thing about action films is you don't need much language so they tend to do well internationally hence, they are turning them out like an assembly line.

• Like 1

they can't even remake comedies good anymore. the new vacation movie. any stupe can figure out...easily...that the previous films irregardless of the setting or situation, were always built around the antics of Clark Griswold. that was the glue that made 'em work. today's hollywood stupes couldn't even figure that out?

Apparently, America heard you. The film didn't do very well. You probably won't see any sequels.