Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

BLUE DENIM

235 posts in this topic

"How did it happen to you, girl in blue denim?

How did you wind up here, half-frightened to death with no one to turn to but the boy who got you into trouble?"

Over 4 years ago, I requested that TCM show BLUE DENIM through the "Suggest A Movie" feature (not sure if this even exists on the TCM website anymore).

Sure enough,  the movie is now scheduled to air on TCM tonight September 8, 2019.

What can I say? To quote Phyllis Lindstrom from "The Lars Affair" episode of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, "That's the kind of relationship we have."  

large_blue_denim_04_blu-ray_.jpg

• Like 1

No doubt Joan would have gotten a quickie abortion. I saw it a number of years ago, but the trailer

is so campy I might tune in. 

To those who saw/have seen it, how does it compare to the similarly themed A Summer Place released, I think, the same year?

It's a different kind of story SEWHITE.  They both don't deal with similar issues.

I liked that bit in the OP and that quote(probably from the original trailer or promotion of the movie)  which says

How did you wind up here, half-frightened to death with no one to turn to but the boy who got you into trouble?"

???  The BOY that got HER in trouble?  As if SHE had NOTHING AT ALL to do with anything!  Or are they claiming he RAPED her? :o :huh:

????

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

No doubt Joan would have gotten a quickie abortion. I saw it a number of years ago, but the trailer

is so campy I might tune in. 

I'm sure she had several........

Carol was sweet, but it seemed the film concentrated on Brandon de Wilde, you dont see her that much after the big reveal. Nor do you see any scene with her father being told. I thought the film was pretty daring for its time, that is UNTIL the melodramatic cop out Hollywood ending! I figured the play didnt end that way and Mank confirmed it at the end stating that she does get an abortion in the play! I'd be interested in reading it, if any library has it to see how it ends after that.

I'd seen that Joan bit before. What a hoot! (I'm sure Joan, like many Hollywood female stars had some familiarity with abortions...)

• Like 1

I noticed that the last scene that takes place on the train in Blue Denim used a bit of the haunting music Bernard Herrmann wrote for Vertigo. Anyone else notice it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't notice Vertigo, but I noticed some similarities in some spots to his later score for Marnie.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm sure she had several........

Probably. Wooden coat hangers only though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I was Macdonald Carey I sure as hell wouldn't have let Ernie anywhere near my car.

The little we saw of the office of the back alley abortionist didn't look too bad. Okay,

the guy was smoking a cig, but lots of doctors still did that at the time. In today's

money it would have cost $811.00 for the abortion. With a ride to and from the place,

doesn't sound too bad.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I didn't notice Vertigo, but I noticed some similarities in some spots to his later score for Marnie.

Interesting, because it was definitely Vertigo I heard at the end. I just looked it up and the score has been called a "Baby" Vertigo. Regardless, Bernard Herrmann's music was used for the film, and may have been a combination of different scores he had in mind. Marnie was released about 5 years after Blue Denim. I just thought it was strange to use that music at the end of the film, so haunting.

I'll have to watch the film again (if that ever happens) to see if I can catch it. Earlier in the film, I swore I heard some Marnie elements!

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Interesting, because it was definitely Vertigo I heard at the end. I just looked it up and the score has been called a "Baby" Vertigo. Regardless, Bernard Herrmann's music was used for the film, and may have been a combination of different scores he had in mind. Marnie was released about 5 years after Blue Denim. I just thought it was strange to use that music at the end of the film, so haunting.

As I'm sure you know lavender, this wouldn't have been the first time Herrmann would borrow a theme from himself.

Remember the music you hear while watching Robert Ryan traipsing through the snow in On Dangerous Ground ?

(...guess we could have called THAT one "Baby NBNW" then, huh) ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

As I'm sure you know lavender, this wouldn't have been the first time Herrmann would borrow a theme from himself.

Remember the music you hear while watching Robert Ryan traipsing through the snow in On Dangerous Ground ?

(...guess we could have called THAT one "Baby NBNW" then, huh) ;)

Yes, I know and did not forget, but I was just talking about Blue Denim in my post. On  Dangerous Ground is one of my favorite noirs and years before NBNW, Blue Denim, Vertigo or Marnie. As beautiful as the score for Vertigo is, I thought it was a strange choice to end Blue Denim with that piece of music.

13 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, I know and did not forget, but I was just talking about Blue Denim in my post. On  Dangerous Ground is one of my favorite noirs and years before NBNW, Blue Denim, Vertigo or Marnie. As beautiful as the score for Vertigo is, I thought it was a strange choice to end Blue Denim with that piece of music.

Ah, now I get the crux of your point here, lavender. It was not so much the "borrowing" Herrmann did from his  Vertigo score for this movie, but more you felt that it didn't seem to complement the action taking place within it.

(...well then, look at this THIS way then...at least you don't hear Bobby Vinton intoning: "She wore Bluuuuue DENim, ooh ooh, bluer than denim was the night, ooh ooh ooh, softer than satin...", well, YOU get the idea here) ;) 

• Haha 1

HA! Love, Love, Love Bobby Vinton's version of Blue Velvet ( so don't make fun) LOL Actually I was also pointing out that I heard some of his Vertigo music in Blue Denim's ending and was wondering if anyone else had noticed it and also I thought it was a little out of place for the ending of the film and wondered if anyone else had noticed and what they thought. ( how's that for a run on sentence LOL) ( ps you're a p-i-ss-er Dargo, I hope you never change) ;)

• Thanks 1

I'm imagining the conversation in the ART DEPT:

"Okay, how can we make BRANDON deWILDE unappealing in this picture with one simple change? Oh, I know, PEA GREEN SOCKS."

"Lunch?"

• Haha 1