Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

BLUE DENIM

362 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Vautrin said:

My viewing of the NBC soaps was very irregular. My mom would be watching when I

came home from school. I would watch for a few minutes, make some wisecracks, she

would give me a nasty look and I would head out. I do remember Rachel and Mac (get a

haircut, you freakin' hippie) and could not help notice the vast difference in their ages. I

also remember Bill Hayes and his wife, who were major characters, though I don't recall

their names or the soap they were on. Then there were the twin actresses who

played the teenage sexpots. Can't recall their names either, but all those shows were

always a lot of fun.

There was a huge difference in their ages, but I remember Mac was a good guy and good influence on Rachel and Ada ( Constance Ford) was all for their marriage. Bill Hayes played Doug Williams and his real life wife was Susan Seaforth Hayes who played Julie Williams were on Days of Our Lives. I don't remember sexpot twins and which soap they were on but Deidre Hall who played Dr. Marlena Evans, a psychiatrist, on Days of Our Lives had a real life twin named Andrea Hall and there was a storyline for a long time that had them on the show together.

Couldn't agree more Vautrin, the 2 shows were a lot of fun :)

• Thanks 1

I remember Susan Seaforth and her husband/actor. They were on that show a long time.

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Constance Ford is in Rome Adventure which I watched a few months ago-- it was so off putting seeing Ford in a role where she was playing someone nice!

I know. Every once in awhile she'd play a nice character.

movie-blue-denim-usa-1959-director-phili

This is a little uncanny.

This morning, my mind was wandering, and I started thinking about ACTRESS MARSHA HUNT, who plays BRANDON DEWILDE'S mother in BLUE DENIM, and how good she was in this movie and also NONE SHALL ESCAPE! and then I got in the car, and this episode of SUSPENSE! called PINK CAMELLIAS was on the radio and I was DRAWN IN by how excellent the lead actress was, and when it went off the air, the host on SIRIUS CLASSIC RADIO came on and mentioned that the actress was none other than MARSHA HUNT, who is apparently still alive at 101!

• Like 2

LOL. She was at the TCM Fest a few years back. Amazing.

43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. She was at the TCM Fest a few years back. Amazing.

according to GREG BELL- the announcer for SIRIUS CLASSIC RADIO ( who is SO GOOD, I wish TCM could find a spot for him to host something)- MARSHA HUNT was BLACKLISTED in the 50's- I'm totally blanking now on who wrote BLUE DENIM- but I recall it being a "Lefty"-type. Guess he was looking out for her, giving her some work.

I think really, she gave my favorite performance in the movie- her final scene ("take some toast") was GOLD, and she added a lot of genuine (and much-needed) levity and "WAS SO MY MOM"- (said more than one person watching)- it was a performance that reminds me in a lot of ways of BILLIE BURKE in DINNER AT EIGHT.

In an odd way, BLUE DENIM would also make an interesting companion film to SIXTEEN CANDLES- both are about one sibling WHO REALLY NEEDS SOME GUIDANCE AND ATTENTION being ignored in a time of dire need because an older sister is getting married and all the hooplah surrounding it eclipses them.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

movie-blue-denim-usa-1959-director-phili

This is a little uncanny.

This morning, my mind was wandering, and I started thinking about ACTRESS MARSHA HUNT, who plays BRANDON DEWILDE'S mother in BLUE DENIM, and how good she was in this movie and also NONE SHALL ESCAPE! and then I got in the car, and this episode of SUSPENSE! called PINK CAMELLIAS was on the radio and I was DRAWN IN by how excellent the lead actress was, and when it went off the air, the host on SIRIUS CLASSIC RADIO came on and mentioned that the actress was none other than MARSHA HUNT, who is apparently still alive at 101!

Just as an aside about coincidences, I remembered last night when we were talking about Days of Our Lives that the star of Days of Our Lives when it first began was Macdonald Carey. He was on for many years as Dr.Tom Horton. He played Brandon de Wilde's dad in Blue Denim!

Yes, I remember him. He did the voiceover in the beginning, too, for many years. Like Sands in the Hourglass...LOL.

It's one of the few soaps left from that era. I think it might be the oldest soap still on the air now. Or did Gen'l Hospital start before it?

45 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

according to GREG BELL- the announcer for SIRIUS CLASSIC RADIO ( who is SO GOOD, I wish TCM could find a spot for him to host something)- MARSHA HUNT was BLACKLISTED in the 50's- I'm totally blanking now on who wrote BLUE DENIM- but I recall it being a "Lefty"-type. Guess he was looking out for her, giving her some work.

Here's your information on this, Lorna. The following an excerpt from one of Blue Denim's screenwriters Phillip Dunne's Wiki bio page:

Dunne was a key participant in the Hollywood Blacklist episode of the 1940s and 1950s. In 1947 he co-founded the Committee for the First Amendment with John Huston and William Wyler in response to hearings held by the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC). Dunne, Huston, and Wyler, along with fellow members Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Danny Kaye, and Gene Kelly, appeared before HUAC in Washington, D.C. in October 1947, protesting HUAC's activities and methods. Dunne was never subpoenaed or blacklisted himself, nor was he accused of any Communist Party affiliations.[28]

As a writer and director, Dunne frequently worked with others who either were, had been, or would become blacklisted, including Ring Lardner Jr., Clifford Odets, Albert Maltz, and Marsha Hunt. Additionally, Dunne was a character witness for Dalton Trumbo at the latter's trial for contempt of Congress.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I remember him. He did the voiceover in the beginning, too, for many years. Like Sands in the Hourglass...LOL.

It's one of the few soaps left from that era. I think it might be the oldest soap still on the air now. Or did Gen'l Hospital start before it?

I think Gen Hospital was first. I use to watch once in awhile when Luke and Laura were on the show. I stopped watching all the daytime soaps in the '80's. And yes, that was Macdonald Carey who did the sands in the hourglass voice.

Yes, I checked after I posted that. Hospital started in 63, Days in 65. Both still on! I think the 80s were the peak period for soaps. Once cable kicked in viewership went down and slowly the long running soaps went off the air. I never watched regularly. But my mother and grandmother watched a few of them when I was young.

Yes and then night time soaps kicked in. Dynasty, Knots Landing, Dallas, Falcon Crest, the Colby's. I use to watch all of them. Knots was my favorite, loved that show and it lasted 14 years. They all had stars who had aged and it was a great way to see them again. Stanwyck, Heston,Jane Wyman, Howard Keel, Julie Harris, Howard Duff, William DeVane, John Forsythe, Joan Collins, etc.

40 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I remember [MACDONALD CAREY]. He did the voiceover in the beginning, too, for many years. Like Sands in the Hourglass...LOL.

honest to God, I think they still use his narration for the opening (in 2019!)

TALK SHOWS also had a lot to do with the death of soaps.

You can produce an hour long talk show with one host and a crew and one set to fill an hour's worth of time vs. A SOAP which needs, geez, 15 writers, and a whole crew, and a cast of 35-40 actors, and extras, and 20-35 sets and...

it's expensive.

15 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Dark Shadows did it for $21.98 an episode.

I love this because it’s true and because you adjusted for inflation. 

It was actually $9.78 in 1969 (JOAN BENNETT worked for scotch and cigarettes.)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

honest to God, I think they still use his narration for the opening (in 2019!)

No, but they still show the hourglass! :D

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes and then night time soaps kicked in. Dynasty, Knots Landing, Dallas, Falcon Crest, the Colby's. I use to watch all of them. Knots was my favorite, loved that show and it lasted 14 years. They all had stars who had aged and it was a great way to see them again. Stanwyck, Heston,Jane Wyman, Howard Keel, Julie Harris, Howard Duff, William DeVane, John Forsythe, Joan Collins, etc.

Yes, I heard Knots was the best of them but I never watched it or the others. I never watched tv much back then.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TALK SHOWS also had a lot to do with the death of soaps.

You can produce an hour long talk show with one host and a crew and one set to fill an hour's worth of time vs. A SOAP which needs, geez, 15 writers, and a whole crew, and a cast of 35-40 actors, and extras, and 20-35 sets and...

it's expensive.

YES. Game shows are cheaper too.

1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

Dark Shadows did it for $21.98 an episode.

Watching the reruns on Decades now I believe that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I love this because it’s true and because you adjusted for inflation. 

It was actually $9.78 in 1969 (JOAN BENNETT worked for scotch and cigarettes.)

Yeah, I forgot what she got paid, but it was miniscule. I think it was posted on imdb.

29 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I heard Knots was the best of them but I never watched it or the others. I never watched tv much back then.

My kids were little back then, so didn't watch daytime tv back then. Night time tv was great back then, besides the night time soaps, LA Law, St Elsewhere. those were great shows.

Speaking of 60s starlets, I know it's a little late, but today was a feast of 60s starlet films on TCM! All day!

On 9/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, Vautrin said:

Probably. Wooden coat hangers only though. 

If we are talking about wooden coat hangers and abortions, I hope no one brings up another clothing item, namely hatpins, and Frank Sinatra's mother who was supposedly known as Hatpin Dolly if I recall correctly, in her neighborhood where there were many wayward women in the same trouble as Carol Lynley.

Loved the part of BD where Brandon's mommy wants to give him the book on you-know-what!