Sign in to follow this  
Ricky2400

LOVE Norma Shearer

9 posts in this topic

Are there any fans of Norma Shearer? She was the "queen" of M-G-M in the '30s and was married to studio boss Irving Thalberg until his untimely death in 1936. I'd seen some of her movies on TCM, and she radiated a lot of beauty.

More Norma Shearer movies, please!

I love her & her films. She was so elegant and a wonderful actress. "The Women" is one of my guilty pleasures but I love her line "come on, put 'em around me" in... Riptide? I can totally see it, but not sure which movie.

She is very underrated and I just adore her.

Hi everyone. I'm new here ... well not really. I was a big time poster a couple of years back under the name lolmsted. I recognize some of the names like coffeedan and mongo. Anyway, it's good to be back. Kelsie, that line is from Free Soul with Clark Gable. Norma was nominated for an Oscar for that role. I love that line too. I don't think she is underrated, just somewhat forgotten by the masses.

LO, or should I say lolmsted, good to see you back! My screen name back in the old boards was Sandy K, now it is sandykaypax. We used to chat about theatre and such...

Sandy K

Hey, Laura, good to see you back! What have you been up to? We've missed you here on the boards . . .

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome back. Quit my job (where I used to sit around and do nothing but chat on these boards--needless to say it was a mundane existence apart from the fun I used to have with you guys). Went back to school for a second degree and now I have a job that I love but it doesn't leave me much time for posting messages. Anyway, it's good to be back. I really miss the whole classic movie scene. I haven't had much time for watching or reading about the movies I love, but I'm starting to get back into it. As for Norma, LOVE her in The Divorcee. She plays such a wide array of emotions and is so beautiful. Now, when she was nominated for that role and her role in Their Own Desire in 1930, for which did actually win? I think it was the former.

I absolutely LOVE Norma Shearer!

I first saw her on The Women, which is now one of my all-time favorite movies. I also liked her in Strange Interlude, they don't show that movie on TCM as much as the others.

It's great to see another Norma Shearer fan on the boards, welcome Ricky! I'm a HUGE fan of her as well. Did you catch her "day" on TCM in August? It was part of their annual "Summer Under the Stars" festival. They showcased all of her great films. The only thing is, they never show her silents! They've played "He Who Gets Slapped," which is primarily regarded as a Lon Chaney film, and they've played "The Student Prince," but that's about it. Hopefully they'll show a couple more at some point.

Norma was so incredibly beautiful, I really don't know what it was about her. Her eyes, smile, she was just radiant on the screen. And the funny thing is, she wasn't considered a great beauty like Garbo, or Jean Harlow. She really didn't have a distinct "look," and yet she was just as beautiful if not more so than all the rest.