Swithin

Leslie Howard documentary released yesterday, 7/30/15

9 posts in this topic

The Man Who Gave a Damn, a documentary about Leslie Howard, was released yesterday. It sounds like a fascinating portrait of a heroic gentleman.

How Gone with the Wind's quintessential screen gentleman gave up Hollywood to fight the Nazis

Here's a review from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-man-who-gave-a-damn/leslie-howard-second-world-war-hero/

And the IMDB entry:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2033298/combined

• Like 6

The Man Who Gave a Damn, a documentary about Leslie Howard, was released yesterday. It sounds like a fascinating portrait of a heroic gentleman.

How Gone with the Wind's quintessential screen gentleman gave up Hollywood to fight the Nazis

Here's a review from The Telegraph:

Thanks for posting this nice review related to my favorite actor Leslie Howard.   Of course any write up that starts with John Wayne being a draft dodger is solid gold! 

• Like 1

Thanks swithin. I know not much about Howard personal life except A. he was a ladies man (that paled Uncle Miltie -woo hoo) and B. he died serving in WW2. I'd love to know more about him, since he was a really good actor.

You may not know the answer, but where can this documentary be seen? Theaters? TV? Internet only?

You may not know the answer, but where can this documentary be seen? Theaters? TV? Internet only?

It will premiere at the Chichester Film Festival on August 18. Chichester is a small city on the south coast of England, famous for its theater festival. I assume the film will get some sort of release after that (though probably not mainstream), or perhaps play eventually on television.

http://www.chichestercinema.org/festival/a-z

Glad someone resurrected this thread....any US release news?

Obviously, this documentary is as elusive as Leslie Howard himself!

Glad someone resurrected this thread....any US release news?

Obviously, this documentary is as elusive as Leslie Howard himself!

Unfortunately Tiki, not by the German Luftwafffe, anyway.

(...sure wish it wasn't the case, though...I don't think any actor since him has bettered playing the pensive intellectual romantic lead type)

I've had a "working copy" of this excellent documentary for several years. Hopefully Tom Hamilton has found someone to distribute the DVD/BLU in UK as well as US. Leslie Howard certainly deserves to be remembered. It's a shame his daughter, Leslie Ruth Howard, didn't live to see its release. She plays a small part (a nurse) in Spitfire (1942), the last film he appeared in. I look forward to seeing the final version of this doc.