cigarjoe

Where to go from here?

19 posts in this topic

We've had a nice gathering of Noir aficionados here these last two months and it would be a shame to have the conversation all dissipate to the four directions now that the course is over. The Film Noir Foundation and Noir of the Week used to have a great Back Alley Forums but that was dismantled abruptly and a lot of good discussions, lists and information was lost.

We could try and all continue to hang out here under TCM Programs or as an alternative the TCM Message Board does have an existing Gangster/Film Noir Forum that we can all migrate over to.

Let me take this opportunity to invite you all to the Recently Watched Noir topic that I started a while ago to talk about and review Classic & Neo Noirs here:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/35193-recently-watched-noir/

I was just trying to concentrate reviews and stimulate discussion into one thread rather than start a new topic for each title which tends to drop said topic off the front page rather quickly.

Feel free to add your own reviews and comments, it would be fun to keep all this enthusiasm and energy concentrated on Noir. I've seen quite a few of the classics and lately in the Recently Watched Noirs have been delving through suggested lists of Neo Noirs, and posting about the visual treasures that I've discovered.  But again we can zig zag between Classics and Neo's. 

See you all there hopefully  ;)

• Like 12

According to our good Professor, this message board isn't going to be deleted, it'll just stay on the TCM boards. There's nothing that says we can't stick around here. I know I for one am not quite done with this topic. I plan on continuing my own Summer of Darkness right up to the official end of summer in September. I'll probably slow down a bit on how many noir films I watch and how often I watch them, but I plan on writing something at least a couple times a week over at my blog. I'd love to keep as much of this community together as possible.

• Like 8

This message board definitively, absolutely and without a doubt will remain open after the Canvas course ends on August 3rd. 

We intentionally picked the TCM message boards for this course because as The Working Dead mentions, too often great, vibrant, and info-filled posts disappear too abruptly from the Web. We didn't want that to happen to Summer of Darkness posts! 

As you can see, TCM message boards remain open even when special programming ends. This topic is no different. 

For me, the best part of #NoirSummer was assembling this community and bringing us all together in our shared interest of film noir. 

So, please keep posting here! This is your community. You have gotten to know each other and have had so many great interactions.

And remember, there are so many other films noir that will be broadcast on TCM and films noir are shown on TCM quite frequently even outside of unique festivals like Summer of Darkness. 

Finally, enrolled students can still access Canvas materials, like the Daily Doses, after August 3rd, so even those conversations and posts can continue for the 20,600 students who will still have access after 8/3/15. 

Thanks!!

• Like 9

According to our good Professor, this message board isn't going to be deleted, it'll just stay on the TCM boards. There's nothing that says we can't stick around here. I know I for one am not quite done with this topic. I plan on continuing my own Summer of Darkness right up to the official end of summer in September. I'll probably slow down a bit on how many noir films I watch and how often I watch them, but I plan on writing something at least a couple times a week over at my blog. I'd love to keep as much of this community together as possible.

I second this wholeheartedly. I've become addicted to film noir, writing about film noir, reading about fim noir . . . . Well, I guess I made the point! I plan to keep posting, but it probably won't be with the same intensity. (Although I did just admit to being addicted, so who knows?!?!)

• Like 3

I second this wholeheartedly. I've become addicted to film noir, writing about film noir, reading about fim noir . . . . Well, I guess I made the point! I plan to keep posting, but it probably won't be with the same intensity. (Although I did just admit to being addicted, so who knows?!?!)

I'm right there with you. I've been a noir enthusiast for years. I attend Noir City every year, I have an expanding collection of vintage clothing fit for a femme fatale, my modeling portfolio is usually noir themed, I listen to noir jazz...you get the picture.

When I decided to pursue my Ph.D., I had two ideas to pursue; either the practical: "classic literature across the curriculum" or the passion: "detective/crime fiction and film noir". Well, my master's degree is already in a practical study, so I'm going to pursue the passion. Once I had made that decision, I learned about the canvas course. That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

• Like 7

I'll probably also continue to use this message board (the course one) on and off. It's been great learning a lot of new information about different movies and the studio histories.

• Like 1

i will stick around and hopefully chat with the rest of you

i wish i could travel to the various Noir Cities but my circumstances are such that travel requires lots of planning for me, almost to the point of inconvenience, but i've enjoyed getting to know you all

thank you all

• Like 1

If you search for a film on tcm.com, and click "reminder" at the top of the overview page for the movie, it's supposed to send you an email next time the movie plays on TCM.  That may be a good way to catch hard to find noirs and near noirs.

I've got a reminder in for "Blood on the Moon" (1948) which is coming up August 12.  Directed by Robert Wise, DP Nicholas Musuraca, starring Mitchum and I see our old pal Charles McGraw on the cast list.

• Like 2

If you search for a film on tcm.com, and click "reminder" at the top of the overview page for the movie, it's supposed to send you an email next time the movie plays on TCM.  That may be a good way to catch hard to find noirs and near noirs.

I've got a reminder in for "Blood on the Moon" (1948) which is coming up August 12.  Directed by Robert Wise, DP Nicholas Musuraca, starring Mitchum and I see our old pal Charles McGraw on the cast list.

Blood on the Moon is a well made noir themed western.    For once McGraw doesn't wear a trench coat! 

• Like 1

I started a blog Noirsville to consolidate all my reviews that I posted in Film Noir/Gangster board and elsewhere, a lot of them have more screen caps than TCM allows, hey I'm a visual noir aficionado.

http://noirsville.blogspot.com/ 

Comments welcome.

• Like 3

I'll definitely keep checking in on the Summer of Darkness board.  As well as new posts, there are a lot of posts I haven't read.  Also, I expect to have some further thoughts about many of the films we watched.

-Mark

• Like 2

Were it not for the course we all participated in, I would not have stopped to read this.

I want to share an obituary from the Sunday's New York Times

Coleen Gray, Who Played Film Noir Naïfs, Dies at 92

From the article:

"Ms. Gray played a wife who refused to take part in a grift with her husband, a carnival con man played by Tyrone Power, in “Nightmare Alley” (1947)."

I was not a fan as I knew little of her- yet her passing saddens me because she was part of our Summer of Darkness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/arts/television/coleen-gray-who-played-film-noir-naifs-dies-at-92.html?ref=todayspaper

• Like 2

Were it not for the course we all participated in, I would not have stopped to read this.

I want to share an obituary from the Sunday's New York Times

Coleen Gray, Who Played Film Noir Naïfs, Dies at 92

From the article:

"Ms. Gray played a wife who refused to take part in a grift with her husband, a carnival con man played by Tyrone Power, in “Nightmare Alley” (1947)."

I was not a fan as I knew little of her- yet her passing saddens me because she was part of our Summer of Darkness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/arts/television/coleen-gray-who-played-film-noir-naifs-dies-at-92.html?ref=todayspaper

I happened to look up something about a film noir (can't remember which one!) on Wikipedia and saw that Colleen Gray had passed away. She also starred in Kansas City Confidential, another great film that was part of our Summer of Darkness course. There are probably others, but Nightmare Alley and Kansas City Confidential are two that I saw (and enjoyed immensely).

• Like 4

I happened to look up something about a film noir (can't remember which one!) on Wikipedia and saw that Colleen Gray had passed away. She also starred in Kansas City Confidential, another great film that was part of our Summer of Darkness course. There are probably others, but Nightmare Alley and Kansas City Confidential are two that I saw (and enjoyed immensely).

I became Coleen's fan a few years ago when seeing Nightmare Alley.  She was very impressive as a naive young wife whose husband fleeces different couples and even carries on with a psychologist (played by Helen Walker) in blackmailing patients whose personal information is stored on LP records!  What was really upsetting to Coleen's character is that her husband (Tyrone Power) had her dress up like the daughter a wealthy couple lost recently.  From a distance she is seen to resemble the young girl and was to wave to them in recognition.  Suddenly she cannot go on with the charade.  I also enjoyed Chicago Confidential with Coleen.  I

am sorry to hear of her passing.  We have lost another super icon of the golden age.

• Like 1

I got a copy of The Lives of Robert Ryan (J. R. Jones) because of watching a number of Ryan's films for our course.  He struck me as someone I really wanted to know more about.  It's wonderful to recognize all of the names of films, actors, directors, cinematographers, etc., mentioned in the book, all as a result of the class!! 

Of special note for me was that Ryan learned to box as a young man.  And he had read  "The Set Up," a narrative poem, when he was a student at Dartmouth.  The protagonist in the poem was a black boxer whose career was on the downslide.  Years later, when RKO (under the direction of Howard Hughes)  planned to do a movie based on the poem, the main character was changed to a white man.  Ryan really wanted that role.  Fortunately for us, he was cast in the film!!  According to Jones, Ryan was walking down the street one day when Cary Grant stopped Ryan, introduced himself  and then told him that he had seen him in The Set Up and thought his performance was one of the best Grant had ever seen!! (page 94)

• Like 1

I became Coleen's fan a few years ago when seeing Nightmare Alley.  She was very impressive as a naive young wife whose husband fleeces different couples and even carries on with a psychologist (played by Helen Walker) in blackmailing patients whose personal information is stored on LP records!  What was really upsetting to Coleen's character is that her husband (Tyrone Power) had her dress up like the daughter a wealthy couple lost recently.  From a distance she is seen to resemble the young girl and was to wave to them in recognition.  Suddenly she cannot go on with the charade.  I also enjoyed Chicago Confidential with Coleen.  I

am sorry to hear of her passing.  We have lost another super icon of the golden age.

If it weren't for the course, I wouldn't really have known who she is!!

• Like 1