Sign in to follow this  
Dargo

A suggestion for Eddie Muller's next TCM gig...that's sure to tick off some of the "traditionalists" around here.

28 posts in this topic

So Eddie, how about when you show up again if you dedicate a few nights to films in the so-called "Neo-Noir" genre?

Here would be a few of my suggested titles:

RED ROCK WEST (1993): A terrific and relatively unsung film directed John Dahl who has made some of the best neo-noirs during the last few decades. Starring Nicolas Cage(yeah, yeah, I know all you Cage haters, but I swear he's REALLY good in this one), Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle and the terrific actor who died much too young at age 54, J.T.Walsh.

THE LAST SEDUCTION (1994): Another very well made and suspenseful film by director John Dahl, and starring Linda Fiorentino as one of the best femme falates in movie history, regardless of the era made, and who should have been at least nominated for an Oscar but for this film being shown on HBO before its release to theaters, and thus disqualifying her for a nomination.

BLOOD SIMPLE (1984): The first film made by the now well known Coen Brothers, and in which and in true noir fashion features enough plot twists to satisfy anyone into this genre.

(...okay all you out there who might be a little tired of watching the same movie over and over in which the Roberts Mitchum and/or Ryan go down in flames by the end of 'em, and who would be open to this suggestion, it's time to give me a few of YOUR suggested Neo-Noir titles to give to Eddie here)

• Like 6

Polanski's Chinatown (1974) which most collectors must have.  But with an interesting intro by Eddie this might be worth tuning in for.

Love all your suggestions, Dargo.

Not a movie but a BBC mini-series is Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon.  Why not, eh?

• Like 4

"Mean Streets" (1973)

"Taxi Driver" (1976)

"Body Heat" (1982)--William Hurt + Kathleen Turner's film debut= sizzling film noir.

"Nadine" (1986)--Kim Basinger witnesses a murder

"L.A. Confidential" (1998)--I don't mind seeing this, since 1st time it was shown at 4:00 a.m. 3 maybe.

"The Late Show" (1977)--missed this also the 1st time it was shown.

"Fargo"--(1996)(?)--murder up North.

• Like 4

So Eddie, how about when you show up again if you dedicate a few nights to films in the so-called "Neo-Noir" genre?

RED ROCK WEST (1993): A terrific and relatively unsung film directed John Dahl who has made some of the best neo-noirs during the last few decades. Starring Nicolas Cage(yeah, yeah, I know all you Cage haters, but I swear he REALLY good in this one), Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle and the terrific actor who died much too young at age 54, J.T.Walsh.

THE LAST SEDUCTION (1994): Another very well made and suspenseful film by director John Dahl, and starring Linda Fiorentino as one of the best femme falates in movie history, regardless of the era made, and who should have been at least nominated for an Oscar but for this film being shown on HBO before its release to theaters, and thus disqualifying her for a nomination.

BLOOD SIMPLE (1984): The first film made by the now well known Coen Brothers, and in which and in true noir fashion features enough plot twists to satisfy anyone into this genre.

(...okay all you out there who might be a little tired of watching the same movie over and over in which the Roberts Mitchum and/or Ryan go down in flames by the end of 'em, and who would be open to this suggestion, it's time to give me a few of YOUR suggested Neo-Noir titles to give to Eddie here)

Great idea about Muller hosting a neo-noir gig. 

As for Mitchum going down in flames in his noirs;  Well out of the 13 noirs Mitchum was in he died or was arrested in 6 ; Angel Face, Cape Fear, Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Locket, Out of the Past, When Strangers Marry, and was the good guy in 7; Cross Fire, Farewell My Lovely, His Kind of Women, Macao, The Racket,  Undercurrent, Where Danger Lives.  

So that Bob didn't do so bad!

As for Ryan he didn't do so well;   7 times he took a hit (typically death),  and 4 times he made out ok (well if getting the X beaten out of you but your wife still loving you is OK in The Set Up).

• Like 1

Great idea about Muller hosting a neo-noir gig. 

As for Mitchum going down in flames in his noirs;  Well out of the 13 noirs Mitchum was in he died or was arrested in 6 ; Angel Face, Cape Fear, Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Locket, Out of the Past, When Strangers Marry, and was the good guy in 7; Cross Fire, Farewell My Lovely, His Kind of Women, Macao, The Racket,  Undercurrent, Where Danger Lives.  

So that Bob didn't do so bad!

As for Ryan he didn't do so well;   7 times he took a hit (typically death),  and 4 times he made out ok (well if getting the X beaten out of you but your wife still loving you is OK in The Set Up).

Wow, James! I didn't know you were such a "statistician", dude! ;)

(...though I must admit those ARE some very interesting figures, to be sure) 

• Like 1

These three neo noirs are newer but worth the watch: MEMENTO 2001 with Guy Pearce and INSOMINA 2002 with Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hillary Swank. These two films are directed by Christopher Nolan. DONNIE BRASCO 1997 with Al Pacino and Johnny Depp directed by Mike Newell.ONE HOUR PHOTO 2002 starring Robin Williams, Connie Nielsen, and Gary Cole, directed by Mark Romanek. Robin is gone a year now, and I thought of these two out of character performances that he left us with.

• Like 2

'Family Plot"-- (1976)--Hitchcock's final film was a funny & classy way to go out.

"Serial Mom"-- (1994)--Hitchcock spoof is great fun--the more you know about H's films & tv show, the funnier the film is.

"The Talented Mr. Ripley"--(1999)--Based on one of Patricia Highsmith's novels, this adaptation can clearly talk about Mr. Ripley's orientation.

"V. I. Warshawski"--(1989)--In Kathleen Turner's autobiography, she talks of the studio (Warner Bros.?) mishandling the film & ruining it--am listing this out of curiosity.

"Hammersmith is Out"--(1972)--Crazed retelling of Faust--& I do mean crazed.  Expect the Unexpected.  TCM has shown this in the past, but the Article on it is gone???

"Foul Play"--(1978)--Goldie Hawn & Chevy Chase in a spoof of noirs--Manilow theme song is annoying, but there is a wild chase thru San Francisco streets to make up for it--Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Mikado" is key to the mystery.

• Like 1

These three neo noirs are newer but worth the watch: MEMENTO 2001 with Guy Pearce and INSOMINA 2002 with Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hillary Swank. These two films are directed by Christopher Nolan. DONNIE BRASCO 1997 with Al Pacino and Johnny Depp directed by Mike Newell.ONE HOUR PHOTO 2002 starring Robin Williams, Connie Nielsen, and Gary Cole, directed by Mark Romanek. Robin is gone a year now, and I thought of these two out of character performances that he left us with.

All great suggestions here, sapphiere.

I've never watched ONE HOUR PHOTO in which I've heard Robin was very good as the villain, but I did watch INSOMNIA many years ago and remember thinking him very good in that one as the villain. It seemed it was just about that time in his career when he had a string of films where he played a somewhat "psycho" type.

(...I've also watched the original Norwegian version of INSOMNIA and was also very impressed with it)

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing different hosts for different kinds of movies. We had Rob Zombie for underground and a variety of people for Friday Night Spotlights and Sunday evenings in the summer. There's no reason to have one or two hosts carry the network all the time.

I'd prefer having Osborne give longer intros, with more depth, even if it means he's introducing fewer movies. Muller would be good with crime from all eras. I'm sure others could be found for other genres.

• Like 2

more:

"Ulzana's Raid"--(1972)--Western noir--& not just because it takes place at night.

"Cape Fear"--(1991)--Martin Scorsese's remake is just as good as the original.

'The Stalking Moon"--(1969)--Terror in the Old West.

"Traffic"--(2001)--The film isn't talking about cars--don't get distracted by"spot the star" cameos & this film about drugs is good, but bleak.

"Basic Instinct"--(1991)--Sharon Stone + Short skirt=does anyone Not remember?

• Like 2

I just gotta disagree with that 1991 remake of CAPE FEAR being as good as the original.  Like so many other newer movies it goes way overboard at the end.  Spoiled what had been an enjoyable movie experience.  Should TCM air that I'd definitely be watching something else.  There's so many movies since 'HALLOWEEN' in '78 with the unkillable killer or indestructible villain I can't even keep track of them all . . .  I do remember a horror movie from 1982 I liked well enough until that kind of dipstick ending:  THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW.  Sometimes the killer should just DIE.  Period.  But the filmmakers couldn't resist having Psycho Boy open his eyes at the very end to give the impression he's somehow going to rise back up.  Broken neck?  No problem!   :wacko:  That 'HALLOWEEN'-type ending doesn't work for all horror/suspense movies.  And it's tiresome in the '91 remake of CAPE FEAR.  "WHAT LIES BENEATH" has 3 endings, I believe.  You can't keep an angry Harrison Ford down for long! 

The 1981 movie 'WACKO' makes fun of the 'unkillable killer' cliché.  CAPE FEAR's Joe Don Baker stars in 'WACKO' and he drives groovy automobile in the film:  A 1964 Ford Falcon with white paint and a red interior.  (I take note of '64 Falcons when I see them). 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw 'TRAFFIC' in theaters way back when.  I never thought it was any kind of 'neo-noir' movie, though.  Maybe I missed something . . . ?  (I've not seen it since).

• Like 1

Dargo, that's a fabulous idea, if for no other reason than that it'd give a lot of us a shot at seeing movies that seldom show that much on TCM.

And WTH, why not go for broke with two SOTM suggestions:  Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.

Or perhaps a variant of May 2013's "Tough Guys" SOTM package:  "Mob Movies".  Preferably all produced from 1970 up to the present.

• Like 2

RED ROCK WEST (1993): A terrific and relatively unsung film directed John Dahl who has made some of the best neo-noirs during the last few decades. Starring Nicolas Cage(yeah, yeah, I know all you Cage haters, but I swear he's REALLY good in this one), Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle and the terrific actor who died much too young at age 54, J.T.Walsh.

Good idea, but we haven't come close to exhausting the supply of regular noirs. Good ones too.

• Like 1

Agreed, no issues with neo-noir night, but from what I've heard there were over 700 films in the noir period (1940-1959) and I'm sure TCM has not shown all of them, that's a gold mine of films to  show and keep from being forgetton, victim to bad prints, a great project for film restorers. . any way this is the neo noir thread:-) nothing but love here

Good idea, but we haven't come close to exhausting the supply of regular noirs. Good ones too.

• Like 1

OK, especially because it is set in Philly.

John Travolta's finest performance, tremendous score by Pino Donaggio, and compelling visuals from De Palma. 

Great suggestion, Dargo.

I will add that maybe BLUE VELVET can be part of a Neo-Noir night and hopefuly it will not be bumped this time.

• Like 1

According to "User Reviews" part of TCM website, "Match Point" Was shown in 2011.  Its' one review is titled; "A Sexy Woody Allen Thriller?!  Yes, It's True!!" 

HoldenIsHere--Is that review title accurate?

I think an argument can be made that Woody Allen's MATCH POINT could be classified as neo-noir.

And so of course could Allen's CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS, of which many people say his MATCH POINT's plot has more than passing resemblance.

(...man, was Martin Landau ever good in that one)

• Like 1

I loved 'One hour Photo' (2002). Some people I knew said they thought it wasn't very good, but I know some pretty un-insightful people. I wouldn't call it a film-noir, though - or neo-noir, as the case may be.

It's a tragedy about a lonely conservative man who simply can't understand why those who have such

gifted lives with family and loved ones - a life that he would give his right arm to have - disrespect, dishonour such a gift. It causes him to psychologically break somewhat, and do something he should not do. Robin Williams is perfect in the role, showing so much of the sensitive human-ness he's shown before - most memorably long ago in 'The World According to Garp' (1982).

Whenever the term "neo-noir" is raised, the very first movie I think of is 'Johnny Handsome' (1989).

Man, would I love to see that one again.

• Like 2

Being hardly a traditionalist I dig the idea of a neo-noir fest. Just next time ditch mediocre Muller and get a more appealing host like Linda Fiorentino who can keep the viewers entertained. She was also a standout in the comedy After Hours besides her noir ventures.

Sam Raimi's A Simple Plan (1998) had a lot of noir elements; double crossing, people in over their heads, and a good femme fatale in Bridget Fonda.

Someone previously mentioned that they thought this film was a remake (French film?) or at least inspired by an older film.  I'm sorry I cannot recall the details of that post.  But if so, it certainly wasn't credited as screenwriter Scott Smith based A Simple Plan on his own novel.