Sign in to follow this  
notmtwain

Groucho fans shamed by TCM mis-quote; We need a retraction.

7 posts in this topic

TCM is attributing a feel good quote to Groucho on its Facebook page which he didn't say:

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it," 

A writer named Adam Selzer tracked down the source of that quote. It was a 102 year old contestant on the radio version of "You Bet Your Life". He even found a recording of the show, so there is no room for doubt.

It's probably too late to stop since over 2000 people shared the quote but TCM should publish a retraction to try and slow it down a little.

TCM is attributing a feel good quote to Groucho on its Facebook page which he didn't say:

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it," 

A writer named Adam Selzer tracked down the source of that quote. It was a 102 year old contestant on the radio version of "You Bet Your Life". He even found a recording of the show, so there is no room for doubt.

It's probably too late to stop since over 2000 people shared the quote but TCM should publish a retraction to try and slow it down a little.

While I'm thankful for the correction if this makes one feel shame they must go to confession 5 times a day!

Years ago, when Groucho was old and sick, a San Francisco TV reporter interviewed him and he asked him an insulting question, as if he was going to die that night. The reporter said:

"How would you like to be best remembered."

Groucho thought a few seconds and said:

"Alive!"

In other words, he wanted everyone and all his friends to remember that he is still alive.

• Like 1

While I'm thankful for the correction if this makes one feel shame they must go to confession 5 times a day!

"Summer under the Stars" is supposed to be a tribute to the stars. One expects that a network that talks about "The Essentials" and movies which "set standards for generations of audiences" takes its job seriously enough to insure that the content put out in TCM's name will be edited by people who have seen at least some of the movies.

• Like 1

"Summer under the Stars" is supposed to be a tribute to the stars. One expects that a network that talks about "The Essentials" and movies which "set standards for generations of audiences" takes its job seriously enough to insure that the content put out in TCM's name will be edited by people who have seen at least some of the movies.

A fairly common topic at this forum is the mistakes TCM host, such as Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz make in their intros and outros.    Clearly the people doing the research, writing and proofing the copy could do a better job.    So I agree with your take as it relates to the content TCM puts out.  

I was just pulling your leg with my shame remark.    Cut me some slack after watching 4 Marx Brothers movies in a row.      :D

• Like 2

JamesJazz, only a good fallen away Catholic probably gets the confession humor stuff. Say three Hail Marys and the Apostolic Creed and go in peace.

groucho_marx.jpg

"I would never watch any cable channel that would misquote me."

("...especially any cable channel that had been launched 17 years after I had died.")

• Like 1