darkblue

Why Police Are Hated

844 posts in this topic

It IS unfair to judge ALL police officers by the inane judgement and insipid arrogance of some other officers.  I've run across both in simple traffic stops.  One was courteous and reasonably tempered and calmly and almost FRIENDLY-like in his explanation of why I was stopped.  Another time, the cop acted like I was a fugitive from a liquor store robbery.

Considering as to what kind, and how much SH!T they put up with on a daily basis, I often overlook  these things.

Yeah, but too many DO make one wonder how they manage to remain on the force, let ALONE make you wonder how they got ON the force to begin with!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

It IS unfair to judge ALL police officers by the inane judgement and insipid arrogance of some other officers.  I've run across both in simple traffic stops.  One was courteous and reasonably tempered and calmly and almost FRIENDLY-like in his explanation of why I was stopped.  Another time, the cop acted like I was a fugitive from a liquor store robbery.

Considering as to what kind, and how much SH!T they put up with on a daily basis, I often overlook  these things.

Yeah, but too many DO make one wonder how they manage to remain on the force, let ALONE make you wonder how they got ON the force to begin with!

Sepiatone

So true.  This is why I posted a while back that I try to avoid using terms like 'the cops' or 'the community' since such terms imply everyone in said group behaves the same.     Of course everyone knows the olds saying that there are bad eggs in every basket,  but the media tends to push another old saying;  one bad apple spoils the bunch   (which of course isn't true and taints all cops as well as pushing a racist POV with regards to 'the community'). 

I've been stopped by police a few times. Once for going five miles over the speed limit, and once for not using a turn signal. I answered all questions, I gave the cop my license, I took my tickets, did not smart off with the guy, and I had no run-ins. A friend was stopped and patted down and asked to remove what was in his upper pocket, which he did and it turned out to be his collapsible toothbrush which ended the interrogation. He was stopped actually for no apparent reason other than turning into an area with a large drug trade. If either of us had mouthed off, we probably would have had stories of being mistreated too. You get what you give sometimes.

• Like 1

I've been stopped by police a few times. Once for going five miles over the speed limit, and once for not using a turn signal. I answered all questions, I gave the cop my license, I took my tickets, did not smart off with the guy, and I had no run-ins. A friend was stopped and patted down and asked to remove what was in his upper pocket, which he did and it turned out to be his collapsible toothbrush which ended the interrogation. He was stopped actually for no apparent reason other than turning into an area with a large drug trade. If either of us had mouthed off, we probably would have had stories of being mistreated too. You get what you give sometimes.

What race are you?

guaranteed domestic tranquility in our time...

remove all police forces from African-American neighborhoods and let them police themselves against rapists, child molesters, druggies, sexual predators and all manner of diverse 'humanity'

what could be fairer than that?

that does seem to me to be what they want. :D

No one hates a bad cop more than the good cops. And just like any "group" of people...there's all kinds.

guaranteed domestic tranquility in our time...

Just be nice to them when they stop you. Have your drivers license out by the time the cop walks up to your window, keep both hands high on the steering wheel. Smile and say, "Hi, how are you?" Laugh and say, "Dang, I must have been speeding. I'm sorry, I didn't even notice I was going too fast."

They will be so surprised at your good nature, they will automatically label you as "a good guy", and they will be nice to you. They will usually tell you that you weren't speeding but that you did something else, but they'll usually give you just a "Warning" ticket and explain that it is just a "warning" and it means you pay NO fine. They tell you not to do, whatever you did, again, and they will let you go without a fine this time.

Then you thank them so much, smiling all the time. Tell them they are doing a good job and that all the police in this area do a good job. And you will 1) get to live, 2) get away without a fine.

Ever since I learned about this technique, I've used it a couple of dozen times and it always works.

:)

What race are you?

A very good question to ask Gordon in reply, dark.

Yes, it must indeed often be a very frustrating experience to be stopped by the cops while as they say "driving while black".

BUT, as frustrating as that might BE, once again, for anybody and REGARDLESS of their race to exacerbate and increase the tension between themselves and someone ARMED such as with a LEO, is, well, JUST FREAKIN' STUPID, and no matter how "frustrated" one might be.

And especially in THIS country where firearms abound, and by consequence where cops automatically feel SO much more "under the gun" during almost every interaction with the citizenry down here than I'll bet they do up where YOU call home: "The Great White(as in "snowy and frozen" much of the year, and NOT "race") North"!

LOL

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

As long as they're not poor or black. Those are often rousted rudely from their rest.

• Like 1

• Thanks to Wikiquote.

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

• This has commonly been attributed to Orwell but has not been found in any of his writings. Quote Investigator found the earliest known appearance in a 1993 Washington Times essay by Richard Grenier: "As George Orwell pointed out, people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." The absence of quotation marks indicates Grenier was using his own words to convey Orwell's opinion; thus it may have originated as a paraphrase of his statement in "Notes on Nationalism" (May 1945): "Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf." There are also similar sentiments expressed in an essay which Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, quoting from one of Kipling's poems: "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep." In the same essay Orwell also wrote of Kipling: "He sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them."

Just pretend you're living in an

actual police state and you'll be okay.

• Like 1

Ever since I learned about this technique, I've used it a couple of dozen times and it always works.

:)

Goodness, you've been stopped by police that often?  You must be a speed demon on the road!

Goodness, you've been stopped by police that often?  You must be a speed demon on the road!

Doubtful. With Fred, it's more a case of always driving around with his turn signal on.

• Like 2

There was a story on the news a couple of days ago about a young white guy who was stopped in his car by the police and shot and killed during the process. He was unarmed. His parents said he shouldn't have been killed just for a minor drug offense.

If there are more stories like that -- and there must be -- as awful as they are, it might take the racial aspect out of it and demonstrate that bad cops are equal opportunity offenders.

Just be nice to them when they stop you. Have your drivers license out by the time the cop walks up to your window, keep both hands high on the steering wheel.

Also make points by turning the car off and placing the keys on the dashboard. This shows you are not planning on driving off. I always address a PO as "officer" only because "sir" doesn't work for female POs.

Many who blame it as a "race" issue are mistaken, it's a "compliance" issue. Sorry, but true. 

When an officer stops a car because a tail light is out and the driver acts appropriately, that will be the end of it.

When an officer stops a car because a tail light is out and the driver acts defensive, argumentative or refuses compliance, it signals the officer the driver has something to hide and the incident will escalate, color tone doesn't matter.

PO's have a "ladder" of compliance escalation they must follow. When a person does A, the officer responds by doing B and so on. If you are asked to get out of your car, do so. As was said in THE BAD SEED, "Screaming does not help the situation."

Why The Police Are Needed:

1. Robbery

2. Assault & Battery

3. Car Wrecks & Reckless Driving

4. Murder

5. Domestic violence

6. Peace in the neighborhoods and not the Wild West

7. Riot control

Just a few...

I love the Cops.

the problem is this. I was brought up in a time when people were taught to cooperate with the cops if you were stopped. even if you think it is unwarranted, cooperate. be nice and be cooperative. instead you got alotta people demonstrating hostile uncooperative behavior rising even to a level of physical resistance. how are cops supposed to interpret unruliness, hostility and profane language as being indicative of law-abiding behavior? :huh: would you if your were a cop who has stopped somebody?  the cops have the authority to stop people if they suspect something is not right. cooperate and be of good cheer. why wouldn't you be cooperative if you have done nothing wrong? because the cops are disrespecting your human dignity? get outta here with that pc hs!

:D

Why The Police Are Needed:

1. Robbery

2. Assault & Battery

3. Car Wrecks & Reckless Driving

4. Murder

5. Domestic violence

6. Peace in the neighborhoods and not the Wild West

7. Riot control

Just a few...

I love the Cops.

more power to 'em! :D

Sometimes, there are those(mostly young) who've yet to learn that it's futile to argue with the man with both a gun AND a badge.  And that the JUDGE will likely take HIS side in any dispute.  So it's only good sense to not make too many waves if you feel you've been pulled over unfairly or mistakenly.  Pick your battles.  And NOT ones you'll likely lose.

Most of the 'rules" aren't that hard to follow or obey.  My car is both capable of travelling at high speed, and slow as a snail.  The sign advises 45mph., then TRAVEL at 45mph.  When your arrogance and foolishness carries you outside the limits of the law, then WHO'S the blame if a police officer takes exception?

I know some DO go overboard with the intoxication of power, but weigh instead the consequences of any level of resistance or arguement.

Sepiatone

• Like 1