Sign in to follow this  
Il Manato

Barry Lyndon Aspect Ratio

5 posts in this topic

An upcoming showing of this often neglected film is getting showed tonight, which delights me  though I am also worried about the showing aspect ratio. Recently, there was controversy over the intended aspect ratio for the film, with the recently Blu-Ray edition of the film being cropped to 1;78, while a letter director Stanley Kubrick sent to theatre owners showed his vision was to be projected on a 1;66 aspect ratio.  Does anyone on this forum have inside knowledge of tonight presentation? 

An upcoming showing of this often neglected film is getting showed tonight, which delights me  though I am also worried about the showing aspect ratio. Recently, there was controversy over the intended aspect ratio for the film, with the recently Blu-Ray edition of the film being cropped to 1;78, while a letter director Stanley Kubrick sent to theatre owners showed his vision was to be projected on a 1;66 aspect ratio.  Does anyone on this forum have inside knowledge of tonight presentation? 

I don't know about the aspect ratio, but now that I've seen it, I can understand why it's neglected.  (more opinionating about this movie on the "I Just Watched" thread.)

This movie has some of the most gorgeous scenes done with what would have been natural light that one has ever seen. The scenes lit only with candlelight were revolutionary for cinematography when it was released and still are awe inspiring. I own it yet watched to see if TCM's version looked the same as my dvd and it seemed to be identical.