Sign in to follow this  
heatwave1

Godzilla

20 posts in this topic

Man! That trailer looks pretty good. This is way better than the version we got in 1998 with Matthew Broderick. I really like those long shots in the trailer.

Just in time for Christmas!!

Hope we get to see Megumi Odaka again!  It's been over 20 years.

Spoiler Alert  ---  per IMDB, the plot for this movie is:

• Japan is plunged into chaos upon the appearance of a giant monster.

• Like 2

I rarely go to a movie theater for anything post 1970s. This one may draw me out.

I've actually entertained the thought of wearing earmuffs if they will allow them in. The loud FX soundtracks are not desirable.

• Like 1

And maybe this note belongs under the "Horror" heading, my wife told me Tom Cruise is starring in a new version of Universal's "The Mummy".  That is really frightening!!

• Like 1

And maybe this note belongs under the "Horror" heading, my wife told me Tom Cruise is starring in a new version of Universal's "The Mummy".  That is really frightening!!

I like him in Top Gun (1986) and Jerry Maguire (1996) - to me, everything else is horror-ble.

I don't know how much about this you've heard, but this is supposed to be the beginning of the next "big" event for Universal.

Ever since Marvel Studios has found so much success with their shared-universe superhero films, every other studio has been scrambling to emulate the format and box-office. Everything from Sony's hopes for multiple Ghostbusters movies, to Disney's new expanded Star Wars films (one out every single year), they all hope to strike gold. 

Universal's hopes are in a shared-universe classic monsters series. They are remaking all of their old titles, with various characters crossing back and forth between the various films. Tom Cruise is hoped to be the reoccurring hero throughout, although his role would vary in size and import from film to film. Originally, 2014's Dracula Untold was supposed to be the first film in this new shared universe, but when it flopped with critics and audiences, they decided to drop any further connection, including Luke Evans as Dracula. The new mummy film is now the hoped for first installment. It even includes a cameo by Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll as the first in the character cross-overs that they are hoping to do.

Here's a pic that has been released:

tom-cruise-and-annabelle-wallis-filming-

the new mummy, but pictured here from another movie

sofia-boutella-banner.jpg

I believe there is still room for expansion along these lines.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) from 20th Century Fox is a film which brought back many characters from different novels and films - combining them as a force against an evil.

I enjoyed that one, though from what I've read around here, many do not like this film.

I believe there is still room for expansion along these lines.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) from 20th Century Fox is a film which brought back many characters from different novels and films - combining them as a force against an evil.

I enjoyed that one, though from what I've read around here, many do not like this film.

Much like Dune (1984), you and I are in agreement on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. While it had it's flaws, and some were pretty big, I liked the concept, the visual design, and most of the casting. I never read the source books, though, so I wasn't expecting anything specific, although I had heard of them years earlier.

League-of-Extraordinary-Gentlemen-350x30

• Like 1

I like him in Top Gun (1986) and Jerry Maguire (1996) - to me, everything else is horror-ble.

I think my favorites have been "Collateral" and "Tropic Thunder".  I did enjoy "Jerry Maguire" though.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments.

My wife got me going on "Penny Dreadful" and the first season was very good.  Eva Green = there is something about her look and movement that can get very uncomfortable.  I've mainly seen the first season and then the second season is getting kind of weird and off track,but still good.  There are soo many great actors out there why bother with T.C.  Horror movies do best without the big names.  The story and mood are the keys.

Thanks for all the comments.

My wife got me going on "Penny Dreadful" and the first season was very good.  Eva Green = there is something about her look and movement that can get very uncomfortable.  I've mainly seen the first season and then the second season is getting kind of weird and off track,but still good.  There are soo many great actors out there why bother with T.C.  Horror movies do best without the big names.  The story and mood are the keys.

I want to see that show. It's sounds like something I'd enjoy, and Eva Green's worth watching in anything, imo.

The story line of the new Godzilla movie, "Resurgence", seems kind of ironic.  The "franchise" started with the horrors of nuclear bombs and lots of action on how to stop the monster.  Now over 60 years later, we have a nuclear accident and the morass of political bureaucracy and inaction.

The story line of the new Godzilla movie, "Resurgence", seems kind of ironic.  The "franchise" started with the horrors of nuclear bombs and lots of action on how to stop the monster.  Now over 60 years later, we have a nuclear accident and the morass of political bureaucracy and inaction.

I saw the first review for the new Japanese Godzilla film this past week, and thought about posting a link to it here. It was a mixed review, with praise for the monster action, although they lamented that their wasn't enough of it, and too much time was taken up with people arguing in boardrooms.

On another note, I've been enjoying those Godzilla movies from the 1990's that I've been watching lately. I had never seen them before. I have a couple more left, as well as the Mothra and Gamera 90's trilogies, which I haven't seen before, either.

I saw the first review for the new Japanese Godzilla film this past week, and thought about posting a link to it here. It was a mixed review, with praise for the monster action, although they lamented that their wasn't enough of it, and too much time was taken up with people arguing in boardrooms.

On another note, I've been enjoying those Godzilla movies from the 1990's that I've been watching lately. I had never seen them before. I have a couple more left, as well as the Mothra and Gamera 90's trilogies, which I haven't seen before, either.

Lawrence,

Which of the 90's Godzilla films did you like best?  My favorite was probably "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah" and then "Godzilla vs. Destroyah".

We get lots of laughs watching the Mothra (and the singing twins with dancing natives) and Gamera films.

One of my favorite Japanese giant monster films has the vampire-looking evil genius wearing a cape, maybe called "King Kong Escapes"?  Watch out Tokyo Tower!!

• Like 1

Lawrence,

Which of the 90's Godzilla films did you like best?  My favorite was probably "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah" and then "Godzilla vs. Destroyah".

We get lots of laughs watching the Mothra (and the singing twins with dancing natives) and Gamera films.

One of my favorite Japanese giant monster films has the vampire-looking evil genius wearing a cape, maybe called "King Kong Escapes"?  Watch out Tokyo Tower!!

I still have Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs Destroyah to watch, so I can't say for sure of my favorite. I liked King Ghidorah and I thought the plant creature in Biollante was unique.

It looks like there will be at least an advance or limited release of this film in the US around mid-Oct but the closest to Myrtle Beach looks like 60-70 miles away in Wilmington, NC.  Check this link for the closest release to you:

From IMDb:

This film will be given a special advanced release in the United States on October 11-18, 2016 when it will be shown in its original Japanese version (with English subtitles) and under a semi-translation of its original Japanese title, "Shin Godzilla" (2016).

• Like 1

I rarely go to a movie theater for anything post 1970s. This one may draw me out.

I've actually entertained the thought of wearing earmuffs if they will allow them in. The loud FX soundtracks are not desirable.

I often find it's the bass end that is too high and drowns out the dialogue. Even some television shows have this problem.