Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

TCM Programming Challenge #30 -- Risky Business (Challenges)

113 posts in this topic

TCM Programming Challenge #30Risky Business

Challenge 1:  Risky Business

You are to program a block of films (minimum of 4) in which one of the lead characters is involved in some kind of physically “risky business.”  Examples of this would be:  circus performers, coal miners, police, etc. etc.  Or you may program a block of films in which a behind the scenes person is involved in risky business.

The films in this block must be linked in some way  --  either using the same actor

or behind the scenes person or all of the films being the same kind of “risky business.”  You may have 2 films in this challenge which will not go against your premiere limit. Mark these: RB-Exempt.

Challenge 2:  Funny Business

You are to program a block of films (minimum of 4) based on a favorite QUOTE (not

a title, but a quote) from a Marx Brothers film.  For instance:  “One morning I shot

an elephant in my pajamas” could elicit a block of films about elephants, pajamas

or mornings. You may have 2 films in this challenge which will not go against your

premiere limit. Mark these:  FB-Exempt.

Challenge 3 (Optional):  Show Business

You are to program a block of films/TV featuring an actor/actress whose career in

television eclipsed his/her film career.  You are to program 4 films and 2 favorite

television episodes. One caveat:  Lucille Ball cannot be used (Sorry, Speedy!) since

she is the most obvious choice. Not to worry, there are plenty of other talented

folks to choose from. You may have 2 films and 2 TV episodes in this challenge

which will not go against your premiere limit. Mark these:  SB-Exempt.

Challenge 4 (Optional):  30th Challenge – 1930’s Guest Programmer

In honor of Challenge #30 you are to program a block of films (minimum of 4)

selected and introduced by a Guest Programmer who is a character from a 1930’s

film. If you opt to include Challenge 4 in your schedule you may not have an

additional guest programmer. You may have 2 films in this challenge which

will not go against your premiere limit. Mark these: 30-Exempt.

You may use up to 12 premieres in this challenge.  The week selected for your

schedule must be between September 1, 2016 and August 31, 2017.

The challenge opens at 12 Noon (EST) Sunday, September 6 and ends 11:59 AM

(EST) Sunday, October 4.  A voting thread will be started shortly after the end of the challenge.

I look forward to seeing some great schedules!

• Like 1

Great challenge Lydecker!!

I'll have to start working on this.  I have a couple ideas for the TV performer one (since I can't use Lucy, lol) so I'll have to submit my schedule before someone else does and takes my ideas.  Lol.

• Like 1

Thanks, Speedy!  Hope it's a fun and "challenging" (pun intended) Challenge for everyone and we see lots of great schedules.

Should you get one of these Challenge threads pinned like the last time, Lydecker?   Speak to Speedy, perhaps.

Should you get one of these Challenge threads pinned like the last time, Lydecker?   Speak to Speedy, perhaps.

Already on it.  Waiting for the Moderator to do so. Thanks.

Challenge 2:  Funny Business

You are to program a block of films (minimum of 4) based on a favorite QUOTE (not

a title, but a quote) from a Marx Brothers film.  For instance:  “One morning I shot

an elephant in my pajamas” could elicit a block of films about elephants, pajamas

or mornings. You may have 2 films in this challenge which will not go against your

premiere limit. Mark these:  FB-Exempt.

I WISH I THOUGHT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Also, can the "tv episodes" be, for example, tv movies/specials that were episodes of a "Playhouse 90" type of show with independent scripts, or do they have to be episodes from a serial tv show like "I Love Lucy"?

And did the actors have to START life as a film star, THEN become a TV star (like Lucy), or could they be someone who had, say, a hit TV show, and a lucrative film career, but everyone remembers them from the TV show (like Kermit the Frog)?

Actors need to START in films and then achieve greater success as a TV star.  (Lucille Ball would have been a perfect choice IF you had been able to use her.) And, the TV shows have to be part of an episodic TV show (like I Love Lucy.)

I WISH I THOUGHT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I think this will be a lot of fun.  The only problem will be choosing a quote.  So much great

material to select from.  Can't wait to see what schedulers do with this.

Actors need to START in films and then achieve greater success as a TV star.  (Lucille Ball would have been a perfect choice IF you had been able to use her.) And, the TV shows have to be part of an episodic TV show (like I Love Lucy.)

I want to amend the above statement regarding Challenge 3.  Actors need to start in films and then achieve greater success in TV.  This could be as an TV actor OR as a behind the scenes person.

Am I correct in assuming that in Challenge #2 the films though inspired by a Marx Bros. joke do not have to be comedies in themselves?

Taking your elephant example, you could use Roots of Heaven?

Am I correct in assuming that in Challenge #2 the films though inspired by a Marx Bros. joke do not have to be comedies in themselves?

Taking your elephant example, you could use Roots of Heaven?

Absolutely correct.

Someone PM'ed me about this so I thought I would clarify for other challengers on this thread.

For Challenge 2 (Funny Business  --  Quote from a Marx Brothers Film) you are not restricted to a "one line" quote.  I know that many of the best of the Marx Brothers quotes are a set up line followed by the punch line.  These are totally allowed.  

Lydecker

Hmmm... See, now I don't know what to do because pretty every film actor who started acting after world war 2 broke into movies by doing little bit parts on TV, like Jack Lemmon and Charlton Heston. Unless you just mean that they didn't have success on TV, just a little work, before they broke into movies where they had huge success. Or do you only want us to pick those actors who were famous before TV was around? Just trying to figure this all out :-)

Hmmm... See, now I don't know what to do because pretty every film actor who started acting after world war 2 broke into movies by doing little bit parts on TV, like Jack Lemmon and Charlton Heston. Unless you just mean that they didn't have success on TV, just a little work, before they broke into movies where they had huge success. Or do you only want us to pick those actors who were famous before TV was around? Just trying to figure this all out :-)

I think it's someone who started out in films but was never a huge star, but then they got a television show and became a huge star, like Lucille Ball.  She had quite an extensive film career before I Love Lucy, but she never reached stardom until television.

Someone like Barbara Stanwyck, who was already a huge star prior to her television show, would not be eligible because she did not become a huge star because of her show, she was a huge star because of her film career.

Ditto to what Speedracer says and I don't think you would pick a Heston or a Lemmon as they never really transitioned back to tv anyway.  It just has to be a question of balance, I would think.

Ditto to what Speedracer says and I don't think you would pick a Heston or a Lemmon as they never really transitioned back to tv anyway.  It just has to be a question of balance, I would think.

Yeah, I'm still confused. That pretty much only applies to Lucy.

And I actually mentioned those guys specifically because they didn't qualify as TV stars-- I hate to use real examples and steal people's ideas. :)

Yeah, I'm still confused. That pretty much only applies to Lucy.

And I actually mentioned those guys specifically because they didn't qualify as TV stars-- I hate to use real examples and steal people's ideas. :)

I have some other ideas, but I don't want to give them away. However, Desi Arnaz would qualify. He started out in films too, then ended up being a huge TV Star and TV Producer.

Danny Thomas made quite a few films before reaching stardom.

It might be easier to research the stars of major television programs and then research if they appeared in film roles before finding stardom in television.

Don't think of movie stars in television--think the other way around.

OK. Just to clarify about the Show Business Challenge.  The person should have appeared in films (could be bit parts, could be leads) but was never a huge star in films.  It was only when they went to television that they became really famous.  In other words, their TV career eclipsed their movie career.

Stanwyck who was a huge star in films but also did TV later would NOT qualify.  She was a big star BEFORE she did TV.  However, someone like Buddy Ebsen who did many films but was not a big star would qualify since he became more famous doing The Beverly Hillbillies than he ever did doing films.  

Got it?

P.S. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional clarification.

I have some other ideas, but I don't want to give them away. However, Desi Arnaz would qualify. He started out in films too, then ended up being a huge TV Star and TV Producer.

Danny Thomas made quite a few films before reaching stardom.

It might be easier to research the stars of major television programs and then research if they appeared in film roles before finding stardom in television.

Don't think of movie stars in television--think the other way around.

Exactly!

OK. Just to clarify about the Show Business Challenge.  The person should have appeared in films (could be bit parts, could be leads) but was never a huge star in films.  It was only when they went to television that they became really famous.  In other words, their TV career eclipsed their movie career.

Stanwyck who was a huge star in films but also did TV later would NOT qualify.  She was a big star BEFORE she did TV.  However, someone like Buddy Ebsen who did many films but was not a big star would qualify since he became more famous doing The Beverly Hillbillies than he ever did doing films.  

Got it?

P.S. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional clarification.

doh, Buddy Ebsen!

:D

I guess I'll PM you when I have a specific actor in mind and just ask you if they qualify. I totally understand the idea of someone who was in movies but wasn't famous and then became famous on TV, I'm still just confused about why they absolutely had to do nothing on TV before their film career. but obviously I'm the only one who's confused, so its all good, like I said I'll ask later. :-)

I guess I'll PM you when I have a specific actor in mind and just ask you if they qualify. I totally understand the idea of someone who was in movies but wasn't famous and then became famous on TV, I'm still just confused about why they absolutely had to do nothing on TV before their film career. but obviously I'm the only one who's confused, so its all good, like I said I'll ask later. :-)

That's fine.  Feel free to PM anytime.

I believe I was thinking primarily of actors who appeared in films from the 1930's - 1960's who then went on to star or work in TV. Doesn't have to be an actor from that period but since TV wasn't that much of a force until the 1950's that would be the most logical place to start.  As Speedy says:  Don't think of movie stars who worked in TV, think the other way around.