Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

TCM Programming Challenge #30 -- Risky Business (Challenges)

113 posts in this topic

I must wonder what is meant by movie career being "eclipsed" by television work.

I am considering an actress with more than thirty movie credits and nomination for Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a movie career which existed for two decades. I believe that most people who would see a photograph of her now would instantly recognize her for a television role which existed for two years. Her television role made her an icon but her movie career prior to that brought in much more money and critical acclaim.

I am considering also an actor who was primarily stunt man in movies. His speaking roles were few and he did not seek more. He became full-fledged actor in television series. 

I must wonder also if they qualify because I believe that nearly all who saw photograph of either would instantly recognize them for their roles but very few would know their name.

I must wonder what is meant by movie career being "eclipsed" by television work.

I am considering an actress with more than thirty movie credits and nomination for Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a movie career which existed for two decades. I believe that most people who would see a photograph of her now would instantly recognize her for a television role which existed for two years. Her television role made her an icon but her movie career prior to that brought in much more money and critical acclaim.

I am considering also an actor who was primarily stunt man in movies. His speaking roles were few and he did not seek more. He became full-fledged actor in television series. 

I must wonder also if they qualify because I believe that nearly all who saw photograph of either would instantly recognize them for their roles but very few would know their name.

As I have said, I think Lucille Ball is the prime example of a film career being eclipsed by a TV career.  Lucille Ball had a decent career in film but became a household name when she starred in I Love Lucy. I also gave the example of Buddy Ebsen who did many, many films but became famous when he starred in The Beverly Hillbillies.  If your actress became an icon from her television role (despite her years of working in film and getting an Oscar nomination) I think she would certainly qualify.  I think one of the key things here is that the actor/actress became more famous from doing their TV role than from doing any of their film work.  Feel free to PM me if you want to run a name by me.

Do the films introduced by the 1930s Character Guest Programmer have to be from the 30s as well?

Do the films introduced by the 1930s Character Guest Programmer have to be from the 30s as well?

I hope not!  Might curb the fun.

They do not.

• Like 1

I have to wonder what films Frankenstein would pick . . .

Maybe he's a sucker for musicals or, better yet, Esther Williams films.

I believe he might prefer movies such as: Pumping Iron (1977) or: Getting Physical (1984) or other such movies concerning body builders.

• Like 3

I believe he might prefer movies such as: Pumping Iron (1977) or: Getting Physical (1984) or other such movies concerning body builders.

Yes, of course.  You are exactly right!!!

Yes, of course.  You are exactly right!!!

You couldn't drag him to see Towering Inferno

• Like 2

You couldn't drag him to see Towering Inferno

True that.  He had that in common with The Scarecrow. Hey, maybe they hung out together??

I think he'd be into movies featuring songs by Irving Berlin.

...'uttin' on the 'iiiiiitz...

• Like 1

True that.  He had that in common with The Scarecrow. Hey, maybe they hung out together??

doh, not the Scarecrow!  First Buddy Ebsen .. then ...

Ooh I've got my SOTM, my guest programmer, and my TV Star whose movie career was eclipsed by their television career finished!!

• Like 1

I have completed an evening for each of the four Challenges and: Star of The Month. I have one other evening which is very tentative.

My difficulty now is landing on concept for days. I like to have them to be part of an overall theme. I am sad to say that when I checked inventory:

Great Ideas = 0

Good Ideas = 0

Fair Ideas = 0

Average Ideas = 0

Poor Ideas = 32

Really, really bad ideas = 3,618

Ooh I've got my SOTM, my guest programmer, and my TV Star whose movie career was eclipsed by their television career finished!!

I have a SOTM, dangerous profession, Marx Brothers quote, thirties movie character guest performer and Underground selection.

• Like 1

I have completed an evening for each of the four Challenges and: Star of The Month. I have one other evening which is very tentative.

My difficulty now is landing on concept for days. I like to have them to be part of an overall theme. I am sad to say that when I checked inventory:

Great Ideas = 0

Good Ideas = 0

Fair Ideas = 0

Average Ideas = 0

Poor Ideas = 32

Really, really bad ideas = 3,618

LOL.  Not to worry.  I know you will come up with one of your usual stellar schedules!

Bogie 56's schedule for the week of June 25, 2017 to July 1, 2017

———————————Sunday, June 25, 2017—————————

the deep South 

6:00 AM  Hot Spell (1957) Shirley Booth, Anthony Quinn.  Dir: Daniel Mann, Paramount, 86 min., Premiere

7:30 AM  Dixiana (1930) Bebe Daniels, Everett Marshall.  Dir: Luther Reed.  RKO. 100m.,  P/S

9:15 AM  New Orleans (1947) Arturo de Cordova, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong.  Dir: Arthur Lubin.  United Artists.  90m.,  P/S

10:45 AM  Revenge of the Zombies (1943) John Carradine, Gale Storm.  Dir: Steve Sekely.  Monogram.  61m.,  P/S

12:00 PM  Bright Leaf (1950) Gary Cooper, Lauren Bacall, Patricia Neal.  Dir: Michael Curtiz.  Warner Bros.  110m., P/S

2:00 PM Bright Leaves (2003) Documentary.  Dir: Ross McElwee.  First Run Features.  107m., Premiere

4:00 PM  Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) Kathy Bates, Jessica Tandy.  Dir: Jon Avnet.  Universal, 130m.,  P/S

6:15 PM  Driving Miss Daisy (1989) Jessica Tandy, Morgan Freeman.  Dir: Bruce Beresford.  Warner Bros.  99m., P/S

8:00 PM  In the Heat of the Night  (1967)  Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger.  Dir: Norman Jewison.  United Artists, 109m.,  P/S

10:00 PM  4 Little Girls (1997)  Documentary.  Dir: Spike Lee.  HBO Documentary.  102m.,  Premiere

11:45 PM  Come Rain or Come Shine (2001)  Documentary short subject.  Dir: Spike Lee.  VH1.,  4m.,

Silent Sunday

12:00 AM  The Wedding March (1928).  Erich von Stroheim, Fay Wray.  Dir: Erich von Stroheim.  Paramount.  132m.,  E Silent Sunday

TCM Imports

2:15 AM  M (1931)  Peter Lorre, Otto Wernicke.  Dir: Fritz Lang.  Paramount US/Criterion,  117m.  P/S 

4:15 AM  The Trunks of Mr. O.F.  (1931)  Alfred Abel, Peter Lorre, Hedy Lamarr.  Dir: Alexis Granowsky.  Germanwarfilms USA,  80m. E Monday Import

———————————Monday, June 26, 2017—————————

filmmaking

6:00 AM  Nanook of the North  (1922)  Documentary.  Dir: Robert Flaherty.  Pathe, 65m (TCM Print on imdb)  P/S

7:15 AM  Kabloonak (1994)  Charles Dance, Adamie Inukpuk.  Dir: Claude Massot.  UGC France, 103m.  Premiere

9:00 AM  The Picture Show Man (1977) John Meillon, Rod Taylor.  Dir: John Power.  Scorpion Releasing US.  99m., Premiere

10:45 AM  Singin’ in the Rain (1952)  Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, Donald O’Connor.  Dir: Stanley Donen.  MGM 103m.,  P/S

12:30 PM  The Artist (2011)  Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo.  Dir: Michel Hazanavicius.  Weinstein Company.  100m.,  P/S

2:15 PM  Day for Night (1973) Jacqueline Bisset, Valentina Cortese.  Dir: Francois Truffaut.  Warner Bros.  115m., P/S

4:15 PM  I Hate Actors (1986)  Jean Poiret, Michel Blanc.  Dir: Gerard Krawczyk.  Gaumont.  90m.,  Premiere

5:45 PM  Forty Five Minutes From Hollywood (1926)  Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy.  Dir: Fred Guiol.  Hal Roach.  21m., 

6:15 PM   Hearts of the West (1975)  Jeff Bridges, Andy Griffith.  Dir:  Howard Zieff.  MGM.  102m., P/S

Optional Challenge #4 30th Challenge - 1930’s Guest Programmer

Bela Lugosi’s Ygor from Son of Frankenstein on “The Hangman’s Noose”

8:00 PM  Son of Frankenstein (1939)  Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi.  Dir: Rowland V. Lee.  Universal.  99m., P/S

9:45 PM  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)  Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef.  Dir: Sergio Leone.  United Artists.  161m,  P/S

12:30 AM  Hang em High (1968)  Clint Eastwood, Inger Stevens.  Dir: Ted Post.   MGM/UA.  114m.,  P/S

2:30 AM  Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman (2005)  Timothy Spall, Juliet Stevenson.  Dir: Adrian Shergold.  Lions Gate.  90m., -30 Exempt

4:15 AM  Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred. A Leuchter, Jr. (1999)  Documentary.  Dir: Errol Morris.  Lions Gate.  91m., -30 Exempt

4:45 AM  The Hanging (1993) Vincent Gallo.  Dir: Victoria Leacock.  4m.,

———————————Tuesday, June 27, 2017—————————

Challenge #1  Risky Business: Political Assassinations: Gunmen, Plotters and Investigators.

6:00 AM  Executive Action (1973)  Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan.  Dir: David Miller.  Turner Ent.  Warner Home Video.  91m.,  RB Exempt.

7:45 AM  Report (1967)  Documentary.  Dir: Bruce Conner.  Canyon Cinema.  13m.,  

8:00 AM  JFK (1991)  Kevin Costner, Sissy Spacek.  Dir: Oliver Stone.  Warner Bros.  189m.,  P/S

11:15 AM  The Manchurian Candidate (1962)  Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury.  Dir: John Frankenheimer.  United Artists.  126m., P/S

1:30 PM  Bobby (2006)  Anthony Hopkins, Harry Belafonte.  Dir: Emilio Estevez.  Weinstein Company. 120m., RB Exempt

3:45 PM  The Parallax View (1974) Warren Beatty, Paula Prentiss.  Dir: Alan J. Pakula.  Paramount.  102m.,  P/S

5:30 PM  The Day of the Jackal (1973)  Edward Fox, Michael Lonsdale.  Dir: Fred Zinnemann.  Universal.  143m., P/S

“an undigested bit of beef”

8:00 PM   Providence (1977)  Dirk Bogarde, Ellen Burstyn, John Gielgud, David Warner.  Dir: Alain Resnais.  Cinema 5.  110m.,  Premiere

10:00 PM  Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966)  David Warner, Vanessa Redgrave.  Dir: Karel Reisz.  British Lion.  97m., P/S

Max Ophuls

11:45 PM  The Earrings of Madame de … (1953)  Danielle Darrieux, Charles Boyer, Vittorio De Sica.  Dir: Max Ophuls.  Gaumont.  105m.,  P/S

1:30 AM  La Ronde (1950)  Anton Walbrook, Simon Signoret.  Dir: Max Ophuls.  Gaumont, Criterion.  110m. restored,  P/S

3:30 AM  Lola Montes (1955) Martine Carol, Peter Ustinov.  Dir: Max Ophuls.  Criterion.  116m.  P/S

5:30 AM  The Tell-Tale Heart (1941)  Joseph Schildkraut, Roman Bohnen.  Dir: Jules Dassin.  MGM Short Subject.  20m.,

——————————Wednesday, June 28, 2017————————

Department Stores

6:00 AM  Sweepings (1933)  Lionel Barrymore, Gloria Stuart.  Dir: John Cromwell.  RKO.  80m., P/S

7:30 AM  Employee’s Entrance (1933)  Loretta Young, Warren William.  Dir: Roy Del Ruth.  Warner Bros.  75m.,  P/S

9:00 AM The Longest Night (1936)  Robert Young, Florence Rice, Sidney Toler.  Dir:  Errol Taggart.  MGM.  51m.,  P/S

10.00 AM  Looking Forward (1933)  Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone.  Dir: Clarence Brown.  MGM.  82m.,  P/S

11:30 AM  Safety Last (1923)  Harold Lloyd, Mildred Davis.  Dir: Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor.  Hal Roach.  70m., P/S 

*To be replaced by Pierre of the Plains (1942) in Canada.

1:15 PM  Bachelor Mother (1939) Ginger Rogers, David Niven, Charles Coburn.  Dir: Garson Kanin.  RKO.  82m.,  P/S

2:45 PM  The Devil and Miss Jones (1941) Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn.  Dir: Sam Wood.  RKO.  92m.,  P/S

4:30 PM  Man’s Favorite Sport? (1964)  Rock Hudson, Paula Prentiss.  Dir: Howard Hawks.  Universal.  120m., P/S

6:30 PM  The Big Store (1941)  Marx Bros., Tony Martin.  Dir:  Charles Reisner.   MGM.  83m., P/S

Challenge #2  Funny Business: Shyster Lawyers

Monkey Business:

Lucille: You’re awfully shy for a lawyer.

Groucho: You bet I’m shy.  I’m a shyster lawyer.

8:00 PM  Brain Donors (1992) John Turturro, Mel Smith.  Dir: Dennis Dugan.  Paramount.  80m.,  FB Exempt.

9:15  From the Hip (1987)  Judd Nelson, Elizabeth Perkins, John Hurt.  Dir: Bob Clark.  De Laurentis Ent.  111m.,  FB Exempt.

11:15  Disorder in the Court (1936) 3 Stooges.  Dir: Jack White.  Columbia Short Subject.  16m.

11:45 PM  Carlito’s Way (1993)  Al Pacino, Sean Penn.  Dir: Brain De Palma.  Universal.  144m.,  Premiere

2:15 AM  The Verdict (1982) Paul Newman, Charlotte Rampling, James Mason.  Dir: Sidney Lumet.  Twentieth Century Fox.  129m.,  P/S

4:30 PM  The Mouthpiece (1932) Warren William, Sidney Fox.  Dir: James Flood, Elliot Nugent.  Warner Bros.  86m.,  P/S

——————————Thursday, June 29, 2017————————

the Mexican border

6:00 AM  Hold Back the Dawn (1941)  Olivia de Havilland, Charles Boyer.  Dir: Mitchell Leisen.  Paramount.  116m.,  P/S

8:00 AM  Bordertown (1935) Paul Muni, Bette Davis.  Dir: Archie Mayo.  Warner Bros.  90m.,  P/S

9:30 AM  Borderline (1950) Fred MacMurray, Claire Trevor.  Dir: William A. Seiter.  Universal.  88m., P/S

11:00 AM  Border G-Man (1938)  George O’Brien, Laraine Day.  Dir: David Howard.  RKO.  60m.,  P/S

12:15 PM  Where Danger Lives (1950) Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue, Claude Rains.  Dir: John Farrow.  RKO.  82m.,  P/S

1:45 PM  Ride the Pink Horse (1947)  Robert Montgomery, Thomas Gomez.  Robert Montgomery.  Universal.  101m.,  P/S

3:30 PM  Touch of Evil (1958)  Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Orson Welles.  Dir: Orson Welles.  Universal.  112m. DC,   P/S

5:30 PM  El Norte (1983)  Ernesto Comez Cruz, David Villalpando.  Dir: Gregory Nava.  Cinecom/Criterion.  141m., Premiere

Star of the Month - Max von Sydow

8:00 PM   Hawaii (1966) Julie Andrews, Max von Sydow.  Dir: George Roy Hill.  United Artists.  162m. (TCM Print),  P/S

10:45 PM  The Greatest Story Ever Told  (1965)  Max von Sydow, Charlton Heston.  Dir: George Stevens.  MGM/UA.  141m. (TCM copy),   P/S 

2:15 AM  Though a Glass Darkly (1961) Harriet Andersson, Max von Sydow.  Dir: Ingmar Bergman.  Svensk Filmindustri.  89m.,  P/S

3:45 AM  The Exorcist (1973)  Ellen Bursty, Max von Sydow.  Dir: William Friedkin.  Warner Bros.  132m. DC,   P/S

——————————Friday, June 30, 2017————————

rags to riches to rags 

6:00 AM  Greed (1924) Gibson Gowland, Zasu Pitts.  Dir: Erich von Stroheim.  MGM.  140m.,  P/S

8:30 AM  The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)  Debbie Reynolds, Harve Presnell.  Dir: Charles Walters.  MGM 128m.  P/S

10:45 AM  Dante’s Inferno (1935) Spencer Tracy, Claire Trevor.  Dir: Harry Lachman.  Fox Film.  89m., P/S

12:15 PM  Easy Living (1937) Jean Arthur, Edward Arnold.  Dir: Mitchell Leisen.  Paramount.  88m.,  P/S

1:45 PM  Over the Moon (1939)  Merle Oberon, Rex Harrison.  Dir: Thortnon Freeland.  London Film/UA.  85m., P/S

3:15 PM  The King’s Vacation (1933) George Arliss, Marjorie Gateson.  Dir: John G. Adolfi.  Warner Bros.  61m., P/S

4:30 PM  Tovarich (1937) Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Basil Rathbone.  Dir: Anatole Litvak.  Warner Bros.  98m.,  P/S

6:15 PM  Pygmalion (1938)  Leslie Howard, Wendy Hiller.  Dir: Anthony Asquith, Leslie Howard.  MGM.  96m.,  P/S

the Month’s theme for June - Road Pictures

8:00 PM  Stagecoach (1939)  John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Thomas Mitchell.  Dir: John Ford.  Warner Home Video/Criterion.  96m., P/S

9:45 PM  The Trip to Bountiful (1985)  Geraldine Page, John Heard.  Dir: Peter Masterson.  MGM Home Ent.  108m.,  P/S

11:45 PM  Kings of the Road (1976)  Rudiger Vogler, Hanns Zischler.  Dir: Wim Wenders.  Bauer International.  175m.,  Premiere

2:45 AM  Easy Rider (1969) Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson.  Dir: Dennis Hopper.  Columbia.  95m.,  P/S

4:30 AM  Sullivan’s Travels (1941) Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake.  Dir: Preston Sturges.  Paramount.   90m., P/S

——————————Saturday, July 1, 2017————————

It’s Canada Day! - Canadians at the Movies  

6:00 AM  49th Parallel (1941) Raymond Massey, Eric Portman.  Dir: Michael Powell.  Columbia/Criterion.  122m.,  P/S

8:15 AM  Big Red (1962) Walter Pidgeon, Emile Genest.  Dir: Norman Tokar.  Walt Disney.  89m., Premiere

9:45 AM  The Happy Time (1952)  Charles Boyer, Louis Jourdan.  Dir: Richard Fleischer.  Columbia.  94m.,  P/S

11:30 AM  Mon Oncle Antoine (1971) Jacques Gagnon, Jean Duceppe.  Dir: Claude Jutra.  NFB/Criterion. 104m., P/S

1:15 PM  Rose Marie (1954) Ann Blyth, Howard Keel.  Dir: Mervyn LeRoy.  MGM. 104m.,  P/S

3:00 PM  Eskimo (1933) Mala, Joe Sawyer.  Dir: W.S. Van Dyke.  MGM.  117m.,  P/S

5:00 PM  My Best Girl (1927) Mary Pickford, Charles “Buddy” Riogers.  Dir: Sam Taylor.  United Artists.  80m., P/S

6:30 PM  One Hundred Men and A Girl (1937) Deanna Durbin, Leopold Stokowski.  Dir: Henry Koster.  Universal.  84m.  P/S

The (Canadian) Essentials 

8:00  PM  Dinner at Eight (1933)  Marie Dressler, John Barrymore.  Dir: George Cukor.  MGM.  111m., P/S

10:00 PM  The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (1974)  Richard Dreyfuss, Micheline Lanctot.  Dir: Ted Kotcheff.  Paramount.  120m., Premiere

12:00 AM  Agnes of God (1985) Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft.  Dir: Norman Jewison.  Columbia.  98m.,  P/S

1:45 AM  Neighbours (1952)  Grant Munro, Jean Paul Ladoceur.  Dir: Norman McLaren.  NFB Short Subject.  8m.,

(Canadian) Underground

2:00 AM  Amanita Pestilens (1963) Genevieve Bujold, Jacques Labreque.  Dir: Rene Bonniere.  Crawley Films.  79m.,  

3:30 AM  Universe (1960)  Documentary short.  Dir: Roman Kroiter, Colin Low.  NFB Short Subject.  29m.,

4:00 AM  Goin' Down the Road (1970)  Doug McGrath, Paul Bradley.  Dir: Donald Shebib.  Alliance Films.  90m.,

5:40 AM  The Cat Came Back (1988)  Animated Short.  Dir: Cordell Barker.  NFB., 8m.

6:00 AM - To Be Continued -

————————————————————————————————-

• Like 4

Bogie 56’s notes

This is my first attempt at this challenge!

SOTM:  Max von Sydow

TCM Essential:  Dinner at Eight

Friday Night Spotlight:  Road Pictures

Silent Sunday:  The Wedding March (Premiere Exempt)

TCM Imports:  Peter Lorre in Germany (Premiere Exempt)

TCM Underground:  Canadian Classics (Premiere Exempt)

Programming Challenge:

Challenge 1:  Risky Business: Political Assassinations: Gunmen, Plotters & Investigators

Challenge 2:  Funny Business: Shyster Lawyers

Optional Programming Challenges:

Challenge 4: 30’s Character Guest Programmer: Bela Lugosi’s Ygor from Son of Frankenstein on ‘The Hangman’s Noose’.

TCM Premieres: 

Hot Spell (1957) Daniel Mann

Bright Leaves (2003) Ross McElwee

4 Little Girls (1997) Spike Lee

Kabloonak (1994) Claude Massot

The Picture Show Man (1977) John Power

I Hate Actors (1986) Gerard Krawczyk

Providence (1977) Alain Resnais

Carlito’s Way (1993) Brian De Palma

El Norte (1983) Gregory Nava

Kings of the Road (1976) Wim Wenders

Big Red (1962) Norman Tokar

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (1974) Ted Kotcheff

TCM Premieres (Exempt):

The Trunks of Mr. O.F. (1931) Alexis Granowsky

Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman (2005) Adrian Shergold

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. (1999) Errol Morris

Executive Action (1973) David Miller

Bobby (2006) Emilio Estevez

Brain Donors (1992) Dennis Duigan

From the Hip (1987) Bob Clark

Amanita Pestilens (1963) Rene Bonniere

Goin’ Down the Road (1978) Donald Shebib

Short Subjects:

Come Rain or Come Shine (2001) Spike Lee

Forty Five Minutes From Hollywood (1926) Fred Guiol

The Hanging (1993) Victoria Leacock

Report (1967) Bruce Conner

The Tell-Tale Heart (1941) Jules Dassin

Disorder In the Court (1936) Jack White

Neighbours (1952) Norman McLaren

Universe (1960) Roman Kroiter, Colin Low

The Cat Came Back (1988) Cordell Barker

By decade:

2010s: 1

2000s: 3

1990s: 7

1980s: 7

1970s: 12

1960s: 15

1950s: 10

1940s: 8

1930s: 21

1920s: 5

Sunday, June 25, 2017

the deep South 

I just had to kick off my schedule with the TCM premiere of Hot Spell (1958).  Maybe one person out there might vote for me?  : )

Bright Leaf (1950) with Gary Cooper is followed by the TCM Premiere of Bright Leaves (2003).  The latter is a comedic documentary by Ross McElwee of Sherman’s March fame about his great-grandfather, a North Carolina tobacco farmer who was played by Coop in Bright Leaf.  

In the Heat of the Night (1967) is the Academy Award winning best picture by Canadian director, Norman Jewison.

Driving Miss f-ing Daisy as Spike Lee has referred to it, won the Academy Award in 1989 for Best Picture and Best Actress.  Do the Right Thing was not even nominated for Best Picture that year hence Lee’s bitter comment.  I thought it only fair to select the brilliant and tragic Spike Lee film, 4 Little Girls as another of my TCM premieres.

Silent Sunday

Erich von Stroheim’s The Wedding March (1928) with Canadian, Fay Wray is very hard to catch these days so this is my choice.

TCM Imports

A pair of Peter Lorre German films starting with Fritz Lang’s M (1931) and finishing with the rarely seen The Trunks of Mr. O.F. (1931) which also features Hedy Lamarr.

Monday, June 26, 2017

filmmaking films

I’m following Nanook of the North (1922) with a TCM Premiere of Kabloonak (1994) a Canadian-French co-production by Claude Massot.  Kabloonak tells the tale of the behind-the-scenes making of Nanook with Charles Dance playing director, Robert Flaherty and Adamie Inukpuk as his own real-life grandfather, Nanook. It has a terrific sequence where a very smart polar bear stalks the film crew.  Think Jaws of the North.

The Picture Show Man (1977) is another TCM Premiere and a rare chance to see Rod Taylor perform in his native Australia.

Singin’ In the Rain (1952) is followed by a recent film that owes a lot to it, The Artist (2011).  

As The Artist closes in French it is followed by two French films starting with my favourite film about filmmaking, Francois Truffaut’s Day For Night (1973) featuring Jacqueline Bissett and Valentina Cortese.  Then it’s time for a TCM Premiere with the comedy, I Hate Actors (1986).  Michel Galibru stars as a silent film star in I Hate Actors who is trying to make a comeback in a sound version of an earlier success. 

Optional Challenge #4.   30th Challenge - 1930’s Character Guest Programmer is Bela Lugosi’s Ygor from Son of Frankenstein and his subject is “The Hangman’s Noose”

For those of you who have seen Son of Frankenstein (1939) you will recall that Lugosi’s Ygor had suffered a broken neck from hanging, but had somehow managed to survive.  As guest programmer, Ygor has obsessively selected films that all have something to do with hanging: his own in Son of Frankenstein (1939); The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966); Hang em High (1968); and two (exempt) premieres, Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman (2005) and Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. (1999)

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Challenge #1  Risky Business: Political Assassinations: Gunmen, Plotters and Investigators

Political Assassination is a risky business for all involved. 

This theme kicks off with a TCM premiere of Executive Action (1973) featuring Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan.  This film is loosely based on work by JFK assassination researcher, Mark Lane.  

Report (1967) is a famous, but little seen short subject documentary by Bruce Connor.  

Oliver Stone’s JFK (1991) features two Canadians, Donald Sutherland and John Candy.  Candy plays New Orleans lawyer, Dean ‘Daddy-O’ Andrews.  If you look up the real Andrews on youtube you will see how on-the-money Candy’s portrayal is.  

Bobby (2006) is another TCM (exempt) Premiere, this time about the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy as the Ambassador Hotel. 

“an undigested bit of beef”

This features two films about the power of the imagination.  The TCM Premiere of Alain Resnais’ Providence (1977) has novelist, John Gielgud employing members of his own family in his story lines whilst struggling with constipation.  What is real, and what is not?  Providence is one of my all time favourite films with a career best film performance by John Gielgud.  It is followed by another film with John Warner, Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment (1966) which garnered Vanessa Redgrave an Academy Award nomination.  

Max Ophuls

Three films by the master of the swirling camera, Max Ophuls: The Earrings of Madame de… (1953); La Ronde (1950) and Lola Montes (1955).  Madame de… features terrific performances by Danielle Darrieux who hopefully will have just celebrated her 100th birthday at this time and Vittorio De Sica.

And a chance to see the Jules Dassin short subject A Tell-Tale Heart (1941).

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Department Stores

Hollywood loved this locale in the 1930’s.   TCM Canada always bumps Hal Roach films so I have swapped Safety Last (1923) with the thematically mis-matched Mountie film,  Pierre of the Plains (1942).  An inside joke for Canadian viewers who often see sloppy substitutions in their schedule.

The Marx Bros.’ The Big Store (1941) is the film that segues into

Challenge #2  Funny Business.  Shyster Lawyers.

I have chosen a joke from Monkey Business (1930):

Lucille: You’re awfully shy for a lawyer.

Groucho: You bet I’m shy.  I’m a shyster lawyer.

We begin with the TCM (exempt) Premiere of Brain Donors (1992) starring that amazing thespian, John Turturro.  I feel compelled to mention that the film opens with Turturro in character as Groucho Marx playing the ultimate ambulance chasing shyster, Roland T. Flakfizer as he … well, chases an ambulance.

Followed by the TCM (exempt) Premiere of From the Hip (1987) with brat-packer, Judd Nelson.

Then its Disorder in the Court with the 3 Stooges.

Followed by the TCM Premiere of Carlito’s Way (1993) with slimy, Sean Penn looking like of ringer for Stooge, Larry Fine.

We round off the wee hours with my favourite legal eagle shyster film, The Verdict (1982) with Paul Newman and James Mason then finishing with Warren Williams in The Mouthpiece (1932)

Thursday, June 29, 2017

the Mexican border

A hot tamale of a topic these days.  The daytime schedule concludes with the TCM premiere of Gregory Nava’s acclaimed El Norte (1983).

Star of the Month - Max von Sydow

This evening we include include 4 of the over 100 features that dear old, Max has made.  Several have a religious theme: Hawaii (1966) where Max plays a minister; The Greatest Story Ever Told (1969) where Max plays Christ; Through a Glass Darkly (1961) where God is denounced as a spider; and The Exorcist (1973) where Max takes on the Devil.

Friday, June 30, 2017

rags to riches to rags

The characters in these films either go from rags to riches, or riches to rags, or both.  

One highlight is the little seen, Tovarich (1937) with Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Basil Rathbone and the delightful Melville Cooper.

the Month’s theme for June - Road Pictures

And what better way to kick of this week’s Road Pictures than with (“it’s not a western”) Stagecoach (1939).

We upgrade the coach with The Trip to Bountiful (1985) featuring Geraldine Page’s Oscar winning performance.

It is followed by the TCM premiere of Wim Wenders’ King of the Road (1976), then Easy Rider (1967) and Sullivan’s Travels (1941).

Saturday, July, 2017

It’s Canada Day! - Canadians at the Movies

Rise and shine with Michael Powell’s 49th Parallel (1941) which features Canuck, Raymond Massey and everyone’s favourite French-Canadian, Laurence Olivier.

This is followed by the TCM Premiere of Walt Disney’s Big Red (1962) starring Canucks, Walter Pidgeon and Emile Genest.  The Quebec scenery is a standout in this.

Included also is one of our favourite singing Mountie movies, Rose Marie (1954).

Then it’s off to the far frozen north with W.S. Van Dyke’s little seen, Eskimo (1933)

My Best Girl (1927) and One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937) feature two of Canada’s most famous actresses, Mary Pickford and Deanna Durbin respectively.

The (Canadian) Essentials

Dinner at Eight (1933) with Marie Dressler from Coburg, Ontario.

One of the very best Canadian feature films has its TCM Premiere at 10 p.m.: Ted Kotcheff’s, Montreal based The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravtiz (1974) with a young Richard Dreyfuss.  Jack Warden, Joe Silver and Denholm Elliott are stand outs in the cast.

This is followed by Norman Jewison’s Agnes of God which also takes place in Quebec.

Nieghbours (1952) is a very famous stop motion short subject by Norman McLaren.

Tonight’s underground selection features the TCM Premiere (exempt) Amanita Pestilens (1963) with Genevieve Bujold in her film debut.

The Oscar nominated short subject Universe (1960) was apparently closely scrutinized by Stanley Kubrick when prepping 2001: A Space Odyssey.  You can see the influence its matte drawings had on 2001 and Canada’s, Douglas Rain, the voice of HAL 9000 is the narrator.

It is followed by Donald Shebib’s iconic Goin’ Down the Road (1970).  Fans of SCTV will recognize this as a subject of a Joe Flaherty, John Candy parody.

The week concludes with the award winning National Film Board animated short subject, The Cat Came Back (1988).

• Like 5

Bogie, I can't believe this is your first schedule. This is as good as any from a seasoned campaigner, and one I would have been proud to present. Lots of brilliant stuff here, especially the Canadian theme--I had no idea those people were Canucks!

• Like 1

Ditto to LP's comments.  Love so much about this schedule  --  Rags to Riches to Rags, Road Trips, Canada Day (who knew Marie Dressler was Canadian?) and I thought your responses to the challenges were great.  Being an assassin is the very definition of "Risky Business," Groucho would love your shyster lawyer block of films and I laughed out loud when I saw who your Guest Programmer was and the films he had chosen.  Nice to see so many interesting premieres and use of shorts.  Great job!

This is a truly wonderful schedule! It is very amazing that it is your first. You are to be chastised for not participating in prior Challenges!

I like very much: Max von Sydow as Star of the Month.

I truly did giggle when I saw that you did include variant for Canadian schedule. I assume that you are very familiar with which movies are never shown there.

I thank you for bringing us a great schedule! :) 

• Like 1

This is a truly wonderful schedule! It is very amazing that it is your first. You are to be chastised for not participating in prior Challenges!

I like very much: Max von Sydow as Star of the Month.

I truly did giggle when I saw that you did include variant for Canadian schedule. I assume that you are very familiar with which movies are never shown there.

I thank you for bringing us a great schedule! :)

Thank you SansFin, Lydecker and LonesomePolecat for your words of encouragement.

I didn't have the nerve to tackle a challenge before this as the previous responses all seemed so incredibly well done and difficult to do.

• Like 2