Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

TCM Programming Challenge #30 -- Risky Business (Challenges)

113 posts in this topic

Wonderful Schedule Sansfin.  You are certainly making a winner very difficult to choose.

The week of days is inspired: Peculiar People, National Poetry and Pharmacists Day, etc.  But the Holy Feast of Paul the Hermit!?  Really good.  And wait for it ...  yes, there it is!  ... Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter with Herman's Hermits.

George Zucco, Fu Manchu and what is a week without a few Russian classics.

Bravo.

George Zucco, Fu Manchu and what is a week without a few Russian classics.

Bravo.

In response to the "Will George Sanders Be SOTM?" thread, I was going to start a "Will George Zucco Be SOTM?" But now that he is receiving some loving and well-deserved attention in SansFin's schedule, perhaps TCM will take note.

• Like 1

We seem to have a wee bit of a situation here.  Upon reading SansFin's wonderful schedule this AM I realized that she had chosen a week which was outside of the eligible challenge dates.  The dates were posted prior to the start of the Challenge and were also included in both the Challenge and Rules postings in bold so that there would be no confusion about the eligible dates.  Not to be a stickler for the rules but I do want to be fair to everyone participating in Challenge #30.

I have told SansFin that the easiest solution to this is to "fast forward"her schedule one year and re-post the schedule on approximately the same week in January, 2017.  Nothing would have to change except the George Zucco BD which would have to move to a different day of the week (as opposed to the day of the week it was on in 2016) or just make it into a George Zucco "Salute" so it would not have to be on the exact same date as the original January, 2016 schedule.  If SansFin does not have time to do this, I would be happy to do the "cutting, pasting and re-posting" myself so that we can all enjoy this great schedule.  

Lydecker

• Like 1

I am very sorry to be such disruption. It is my error in making assumption and not reading rules.

To change schedule to be acceptable for week of January 8 to January 14, 2017:

All evenings can remain as they are not date-specific.

I would lose: Holy Feast of Paul the Hermit on January 15 and Dragon Appreciation Day on January 16.

I would have to create new day-schedules for January 8 and January 9. January 8 is: Argyle Day and English Toffee Day. January 9 is: Static Electricity Day and Apricot Day.

I am sorry to say that time is limited for me at present because of work. I will try to find time to make alterations but it is not probable.

We have several wonderful schedules to consider. I know that it will be very difficult for me to make selection for voting.

the Holy Feast of Paul the Hermit!?  Really good.  And wait for it ...  yes, there it is!  ... 

I thank you for your kind words.

I truly did try to resist scheduling the last movie of that tribute but none of the serious and sober movies which I had pre-selected fit the number of minutes needed to close the day. It felt as if I had Divine permission to be silly.

If you have to throw a few Irish films in on English Toffee day what's the difference.

Kidding, of course.  I do hope hope you have the time to adjust your schedule Sansfin.   It will be like having a bonus feature.

• Like 2

I was going to start a "Will George Zucco Be SOTM?" But now that he is receiving some loving and well-deserved attention in SansFin's schedule, perhaps TCM will take note.

I would like to see that very much! I feel that he is sadly overlooked considering his large body of excellent work.

I would like to see that very much! I feel that he is sadly overlooked considering his large body of excellent work.

I love George Zucco and I am glad to see him get some much deserved recognition.

I am very sorry to be such disruption. It is my error in making assumption and not reading rules.

To change schedule to be acceptable for week of January 8 to January 14, 2017:

All evenings can remain as they are not date-specific.

I would lose: Holy Feast of Paul the Hermit on January 15 and Dragon Appreciation Day on January 16.

I would have to create new day-schedules for January 8 and January 9. January 8 is: Argyle Day and English Toffee Day. January 9 is: Static Electricity Day and Apricot Day.

I am sorry to say that time is limited for me at present because of work. I will try to find time to make alterations but it is not probable.

We have several wonderful schedules to consider. I know that it will be very difficult for me to make selection for voting.

Well, we all hope you can re-submit the schedule. I can't wait to see what you would do with English Toffee Day and Static Electricity Day.  Hmm.  I am already mulling over potential films for Static Electricity Day!

I am already mulling over potential films for Static Electricity Day!

You might find the subject to be shocking.

• Like 2

If you have to throw a few Irish films in on English Toffee day what's the difference.

I would never do that! I have the courage of my confections.

• Like 2

I would never do that! I have the courage of my confections.

I was kidding of course.  A Mike Myers SNL joke.

I love your marvelous schedule, speedracer5!

I do hope that TCM Programmers use your: Audrey Hepburn in Paris theme! I love both of those movies.

I love your salute to: Don Ameche! Midnight (1939) and: Heaven Can Wait (1943) are two of my all-time favorites.

I like very much your salute to: Edith Head. She was indeed a wonder.

I believe that one can never be in the wrong to schedule Preston Sturges movies back-to-back.

Thanks SansFin!

The Programmers could make an entire day's worth of Audrey Hepburn in Paris theme.  She made a lot of films that took place (or partially took place) in Paris.

How to Steal a Million

Funny Face

Sabrina (at least a little bit of the film)

Paris When it Sizzles

Love in the Afternoon 

Charade

Two For the Road (while not set in Paris, it was filmed in Paris)

Thanks SansFin!

The Programmers could make an entire day's worth of Audrey Hepburn in Paris theme.  She made a lot of films that took place (or partially took place) in Paris.

How to Steal a Million

Funny Face

Sabrina (at least a little bit of the film)

Paris When it Sizzles

Love in the Afternoon 

Charade

Two For the Road (while not set in Paris, it was filmed in Paris)

I did think of most of those as she is one of my favorite actresses. It gave me idea also for theme for future Challenge entry: Audrey in Paris, Trevor Howard in Africa and etc.. 

• Like 1

Dang, SansFin, why did you take it down!??!?! I wanted to see it!! :*(

I made grievous error in not reading rules and assuming schedule was for week in coming year. It was therefore inappropriate.

It is likely that I will use good parts of it in future Challenge.

I was truly not happy with two days but had little recourse because I had locked into general theme of recognized 'Days.' Peculiar People Day, Holy Feast of Paul the Hermit, National Poetry at Work Day and Dragon Appreciation Day were easy and fun to fill. New Year's Eve in Gregorian Calendar was problematic because of dearth of movies concerning New Year's Eve and so I had to chose movies which simply had New Year's Eve parties in them. I felt that was very weak. Organize Your Home Day brought no inspiration and so I had to settle for chosing movies which had maid in prominent role. That was obviously mediocre stretch and result was a little embarrassing.

I feel only true loss is that this Challenge allowed television episodes and allowed two free Premieres for movies made by same actor. It was opportunity to alert people to rich history of: Doctor Who as one episode was 1972 and other was 2013 with Jon Pertwee in same role. It was excuse also to present movies: How to Undress in Public Without Undue Embarrassment (1965) and: The Body Said No! (1950) which are otherwise quite difficult to work into schedule.

Error may have been good thing. I have done schedules of which I am very proud. They gathered few votes. I have won with schedules which I felt were mediocre. I feel this schedule bordered on mundane in some ways. I would have been in difficult position if it had won because I do not know when my current work will lighten. It has become insane situation which might require six months or more to return to normal.

• Like 1

I feel only true loss is that this Challenge allowed television episodes and allowed two free Premieres for movies made by same actor. It was opportunity to alert people to rich history of: Doctor Who as one episode was 1972 and other was 2013 with Jon Pertwee in same role. It was excuse also to present movies: How to Undress in Public Without Undue Embarrassment (1965) and: The Body Said No! (1950) which are otherwise quite difficult to work into schedule.

Love the Jon Pertwee salute for the Show Business Challenge.  Inspired! I had hoped someone would use an actor who had not appeared in American films.

Tick tock, tick tock.  Just one more week to get those schedules in for the Risky Business Challenge #30.  The deadline is Sunday, October 4 at Noon.  Can't wait to see some more great schedules.

Well, I now have all seven days, and only have to write up my notes.  Also make sure that I have only 12 premieres.

• Like 1

November 6, 2016-November 12, 2016

Sunday November 6, 2016

L'Amour Fou

06:00 AM Bellflower (2011) Coatwolf Production C-103 min Evan Glodel, Jessie Wiseman D: Evan Glodel Premiere #1
07:45 AM The Letter (1940) Warner Bros BW-96 min Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, James Stephenson D: William Wyler P/S
09:30 AM Pierrot le Fou (1965) Rome Paris Films C-110 min Jean-Pierre Belmondo, Anna Karina D: Jean-Luc Godard P/S
11:30 AM Mad Love (1935) MGM BW-68 min Peter Lorre, Frances Drake D: Karl Freund P/S
12:45 PM The Lovers on the Bridge (1991) Gaumont C-125 min Juliette Binoche, Denis Lavant D: Leos Carax Premiere#2
03:00 PM Badlands (1973) Warner C-95 min Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek, Warren Oates D: Terrence Malick P/S

A dangerous profession, but not the official challenge of a dangerous profession:  hit men.

04:45 PM The Killers (1946) Universal BW-103 min Edmond O'Brien, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner D: Robert Siodmak P/S
06:30 PM Murder by Contract (1958) Columbia BW-81 min Vince Edwards, Phillip Pine D: Irving Lerner P/S
08:00 PM Pulp Fiction (1994) Mirimax C-154 min John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis D: Quentin Tarantino Premiere#3
10:45 PM The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) Paramount C-103 min Robert Mitchum, Peter Boyle D: Peter Yates P/S
12:45 AM Underworld (Silent) (1927)  Paramount BW-80 George Bancroft, Clive Brook, Evelyn Brent, D: Josef von Sternberg (EXEMPT)
02:15 AM Fallen Angels (Foreign) (1995) Jet Tone Production C-90 min Leon Lai, Michelle Reis, Takeshi Kineshiro D: Wong Kar Wai (EXEMPT)
04:00 AM Days of Being Wild (1990) Rim C-94 min Leslie Cheung, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung D: Wong Kar-Wai P/S

Monday, November 7, 2016

"Clear? Huh! Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head or tail out of it."  (Rufus T. Firefly in Duck Soup)
A Day devoted to Precocious Children

05:45 AM The Kid (1921) First National BW-60 min Charles Chaplin, Jackie Coogan D: Charles Chaplin P/S
06:45 AM Little Miss Marker (1934) Paramount BW-80 min Shirley Temple, Adolphe Menjou D: Alexander Hall P/S
08:15 AM Meet me in Saint Louis (1944) MGM C-113 min Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien D: Vincente Minneli P/S
10:15 AM Alice in Wonderland (1933) Paramount BW-77 min Charlotte Henry, W.C. Fields, Edna May Oliver P/S
11:45 AM Where is the Friend's Home? (1987) Kanoon C-83 min Babek Ahmed Poor D: Abbas Kiarostami P/S
01:15 PM Matilda (1996) Tristar Pictures c-98 min Mara Wilson, Danny DeVito, Pam Ferris D: Danny DeVito FB-EXEMPT
03:00 PM Zazie in the Metro (1960) Astor Pictures C-89 min Catherine Dermongeot, Philippe Noiret D: Louis Malle P/S
04:30 PM Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) Studio Ghibli C-103 min Minami Takayama, Rei Sakuma D: Hayao Miyazaki P/S
06:15 PM Bugsy Malone (1976) Paramount C-93 min Scott Baio, Florrie Dugger, Jodie Foster D: Alan Parker  FB-EXEMPT

Official Dangerous Profession Challenge:  Revolutionaries

08:00 PM The Organizer (1963) Lux Films BW-128 min Marcello Mastroianni, Renato Salvatori D: Mario Monicelli P/S
10:15 PM Reds (1981) Paramount C-194 min Warren Beatty, Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Maureen Stapleton D: Warren Beatty P/S
01:45 AM Arsenal (1929) VUFKU-Odessa BW-92 min Semyon Svashenko, Mykola Nademsky, D; Alexander Dovzhenko RB-EXEMPT
03:30 AM Ice (1969) American Film Institute BW-130 min Robert Kramer, Leo Bruady D; Robert Kramer RB-EXEMPT

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Movies for Election Day

05:45 AM Wilson (1944) 20th Century Fox c-154 min Alexander Knox, Charles Coburn, Thomas Mitchell D: Henry King P/S
08:30 AM The Tall Target (1951) MGM BW-75 min Dick Powell, Adolphe Menjou D; Anthony Mann P/S
09:45 AM The Best Man (1964) United Artists BW-102 min Henry Fonda, Cliff Richardson D: Franklin J. Schaffner P/S
11:30 AM The Dark Horse (1932) Warner Bros BW-75 min Bette Davis, Warren William, Guy Kibbee D: Alfred Green P/S
12:45 PM Advise & Consent (1962) Columbia Pictures BW-139 min Charles Laughton, Walter Pidgeon. Dir: Otto Preminger P/S
03:15 PM All the President's Men (1976) Warner Bros C-138 min Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Jason Robards D: Alan Pakula P/S
05:45 PM Being There (1979) United Artists C-130 min Peter Sellers, Shirley MacClaine, Melvyn Douglas D: Hal Ashby P/S

Star of the Month Kinuyo Tanaka

08:00 PM Sansho the Bailiff (1954) Daiei BW-125 min Kinuyo Tanaka, Yoshiaki Hanayagi D:  Kenji Mizoguchi P/S
10:15 PM Army (1944) Shochiku BW-87 min Kinuyo Tanaka, Chishu Ryo D: Keisuke Kinoshita P/S
12:00 AM A Hen in the Wind (1948) Scochiku BW-84 min Kinuyo Tanaka, Shuji Sano, Chishu Ryo D: Yasujiro Ozu Premiere#4
01:30 AM The Life of Oharu (1952) Shintoho BW-148 min Kinuyo Tanaka, Tsukie Matsurra, Ichiro Sugai D; Kenji Mizoguchi P/S
04:15 AM Gina Cosmetics (1951) Shintoho BW-87 min Kinuyo Tanaka, Ranko Hanai D: Mikio Naruse P/S

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Warsaw Pact Movie Day

05:45 AM Deep End (1970) Kettledrum Films/Paramount C-90 min Jane Asher, John Moulder Brown D: Jerzy Skolimowski P/S
07:15 AM Ashes and Diamonds (1958) Zespol Fimowy BW-110 min Zbigniew Cybulski, Ewa Krzyzewska, Waclaw Zastrzezyriski D; Andrzej Wajda P/S
09:15 AM The Red and the White (1967) Mosfilm BW-90 min Joszef Madaras, Tibor Molnar D: Miklos Jancso Premiere #5
10:45 AM Knife in the Water (1962) Zespol Filmowy BW-94 min Jolanta Umecka, Leon Niemczyk, Zygmunt Malanowicz D: Roman Polanski P/S
12:30 AM The Shop on Main Street (1965) Filmove Studio Barrandov BW-125 min Josef Kroner, Ida Kaminska D: Jan Kadar, Elmer Klos P/S
02:45 PM  4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) BAC Films C-113 min Anamaria Marinca, Laura Visiliu D: Cristian Mungiu  Premiere#6
04:45 PM Daisies (1966) Filmove Studio Barrandov C-76 min Ivana Karbanova, Jitka Cerhova D; Vera Chytilova P/S
06:15 PM Jacob the Liar (1975) DEFA C-100 min Vlastimil Brodsky, Erwin Geschonneck, D: Frank Beyer  Premiere#7
08:00 PM Satantango (1994) Von Veitinghoff Filmproduction BW-432 min Mihaly Vig, Eva Almassy Albert, Peter Berling D: Bela Tarr Premiere#8
03:30 AM Possession (1981) Gaumont C-127 min Isabelle Adjani, Sam Neill D: Andrzej Zulawski P/S

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Happy Birthday Claude Rains!

05:45 AM The Invisible Man (1933) Universal BW-71 min Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan. Dir: James Whale P/S
07:00 AM The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935) Universal BW-87 min Claude Rains, Douglass Montgomery D: Stuart Walker P/S
08:30 AM Mr. Skeffington (1944) Warner BW-145 min Claude Rains, Bette Davis D: Vincent Sherman P/S
11:00 AM Now Voyager (1942) Warner BW-117 min Claude Rains, Bette Davis, Paul Henreid D: Irving Rapper P/S

Happy Birthday Richard Burton!

01:00 PM The Desert Rats (1953) 20th Century Fox BW-88 min Richard Burton, James Mason, Robert Newton D: Robert Wise P/S
02:30 PM Look Back in Anger (1959) Warner Bros BW-98 min Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, Edith Evans D: Tony Richardson P/S
04:15 PM The Spy who Came in From the Cold (1965) Paramount BW-112 min Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, Oskar Werner D: Martin Ritt P/S
06:15 PM Bitter Victory (1957) Columbia BW-101 min Richard Burton, Curt Jurgens D: Nicholas Ray P/S

Guest Programmer Robert de la Chesnaye from The Rules of the Game

08:00 PM Smiles of a Summer Night (1955) Svensk Filmindustri BW-108 min Gunnar Bjornstrand, Eva Dahlbeck D: Ingmar Bergman P/S
10:00 PM Army of Shadows (1969) Les Films Corona C-140 min Lino Ventura, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Simone Signoret, D: Jean-Pierre Melville 30-EXEMPT
12:30 AM Love me Tonight (1932) Paramount BW-104 min Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Myrna Loy D: Rouben Mamoulian P/S
02:30 AM Mr. Klein (1976) Lira Films C-123 min Alain Delon, Jeanne Moreau D: Joseph Losey 30-EXEMPT
04:45 AM The story of a Cheat (1936) Films Sonores Tobis BW-81 min Sacha Guitry, Marguerite Moreno D: Sacha Guitry P/S

Friday, November 11, 2016

Happy Birthday Rene Clair!

06:15 AM I married a Witch (1942) Universal BW-77 min Veronica Lake, Fredric March D: Rene Clair P/S
07:45 AM And Then There Were None (1945) 20th Century Fox BW-97 min Barry Fitzgerald, Walter Houston, Louis Hayward, D:  Rene Clair P/S
09:30 AM Le Million (1931) Films Sonores Tobis BW-83 min Rene Lefevre, Annabella, D: Rene Clair P/S
11:00 AM A Nous la Liberte (1931) Films Sonores Tobis BW-104 min Henri Marchand, Raymond Cordy D: Rene Clair P/S

Happy Birthday Bibi Andersson!

12:45 PM Persona (1966) Svensk Filmindustri BW-83 min Bibi Andersson, Liv Ullmann, D: Ingmar Bergman P/S
02:15 PM The Kremlin Letter (1970) 20th Century Fox C-121 min Bib Andersson, George Sanders, Richard Boone D: John Huston P/S
04:30 PM Duel at Diablo (1966) United Artists C-103 min Bibi Andersson, James Garner, Sidney Poitier D: Ralph Nelson P/S
06:15 PM The Passion of Anna (1969) Svensk Filmindustri C-101 min Bibi Andersson, Liv Ullmann, Max von Sydow  D: Ingmar Bergman P/S

Friday Night Spotlight: Non-Hollywood  Musicals

08:00 PM The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) Madeleine Films C-91 min Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo D: Jacques Demy P/S
09:45 PM Awaara (1951) RK films BW-169 min Raj Kapoor, Nargis D: Raj Kapoor P/S
12:45 AM Dancer in the Dark (2000) Canal C-140 min Bjork, Catherine Deneuve, Joel Grey D: Lars von Trier Premiere#9
03:15 AM Absolute Beginners (1986) Orion C-108 min Eddie O'Connell, Patsy Kensit, David Bowie D: Julian Temple P/S
05:15 AM The Blue Angel (1930) UFA BW-99 min Emil Jannings, Marlene Dietrich D: Josef von Sternberg P/S

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Autobiographical Movies

07:00 AM Murmur of the Heart (1971) Orion films C-118 min Benoit Ferraux, Lea Massari D: Louis Malle P/S
09:00 AM The 400 Blows (1959) Les Films de Carosse BW-99 min Jean-Pierre Leaud, Albert Remi, Claire Maurier D; Francois Truffaut P/S
10:45 AM 8 1/2 (1963) Cinecitta BW-135 min Marcello Mastroianni, Anouk Aimee, Claudia Cardinale, D; Federico Fellini P/S
01:00 PM Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988) British Film Institute C-85 min Pete Postelthwaite, Freda Dowie, Lorraine Ashbourne D: Terrence Davies Premiere#10
02:30 PM A Moment of Innocence (1996) MK2 Productions C-78 min Mirhadi Tayebi, Mohsen Makmalbaf D: Mohsen Makmalbaf Premiere #11
04:00 PM Annie Hall (1977) United Artists BW-93 min Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts D: Woody Allen P/S
05:45 PM All that Jazz (1979) 20th Century Fox C-123 min Roy Scheider, Ann Reinking, Erzsebet Foldi D: Bob Fosse Premiere #12

Valedictory Movies

08:00 PM (Essentials) Gertrud (1964) Palladium BW-116 min Nina Pens Rode, Bendt Rothe, Ebbe Rode D: Carl Theodor Dreyer P/S
10:15 PM Family Plot (1976) Universal Pictures C-120 min Barbara Harris, Bruce Dern. D:Alfred Hitchcock. Universal Pictures P/S
12:30 AM The Sacrifice (1986) Sandrew C-149 min Erland Josephson, Susan Fleetwood, D: Andrei Tarkovsky, P/S
03:15 AM (Underground) Eyes Wide Shut (1999) C-159 min Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman D: Stanley Kubrick EXEMPT

• Like 2

Week of November 6-November 12, 2016

SOTM:  Kinuyo Tanaka
The Essentials:  Gertrud (1964)
Silent Sunday Nights:  Underworld (1928)
TCM Imports:  Fallen Angels (1995) and Days of Being Wild (1990)
Friday Night Spotlight:  Non-Hollywood Musicals
TCM Underground:  Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Challenges:

Risky Business:  Revolutionaries
Funny Business:  Smart Children
30s Guest Programmer:  Robert de la Chesnaye from The Rules of the Game

Premieres:

Bellflower (2011)
The Lovers on the Bridge (1991)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
A Hen in the Wind (1948)
The Red and the White (1967)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007)
Jacob the Liar (1977)
Satantango (1994)
Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988)
A Moment of Innocence (1996)
All that Jazz (1979)

Exempt Premieres

Underworld (1927)
Fallen Angels (1995)
Matilda (1996)
Bugsy Malone (1976)
Arsenal (1929)
Ice (1969)
Army of Shadows (1969)
Mr. Klein (1976)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Breakdown

1920s   3
1930s  11
1940s  10
1950s  12
1960s  18
1970s  13
1980s    7
1990s    8
2000s    2
2010s    1

The schedule starts off with six movies on l'amour fou, with Bellflower at the tail end of the previous TCM Underground begining them.  Along with the official challenge of the dangerous profession, I decided to include an unofficial one, as well, about hit men.  This allows us to see the TCM premiere of Pulp Fiction. (This is a bit of a stretch with Underworld, so bear with me.)  Monday is devoted to nine movies devoted to precious children, based on a quote from Duck Soup.  Then we have the official challenge of a dangerous profession, in this case, revolutionaries.  Tuesday happens to be the date of the American presidential election, so we start the day with a day devoted to movies about politics.  Then it's time for the star of the month.  Not finding any underappreciated great actors born in 1916, I chose Kinuyo Tanaka, the great star of Mizoguchi, Ozu, Naruse, Kinoshita and other great Japanese directors, and whose birthday falls on the 29th.  Wednesday marks the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, so we have a day devoted to movies from the former Warsaw Pact.   So we have movies from Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, East Germany and Romania (Bulgaria is out of luck), bookended by films made by two directors, Jerzy Skolimowski and Andrzej Zulawski who had to leave Poland to make the movies they wanted.   The day includes the premiere of Palme D'Or winner 4 Months, 3 weeks and 2 Days from Romania, and Hungary's Satantango, which made the top 40 of the 2012 Sight and Sound poll of the greatest movies of all time.

Thursday we celebrate the birthdays of Claude Rains and Richard Burton.  For Thursday evening our guest programmer is Robert de la Chesnaye from The Rules of the Game.  As such, it makes perfect sense to have one film about another country house party (complete with convenient mechanical invention), a Hollywood film about french aristocrats, and a classic thirties French comedy.  We also have two movies that de la Chesnaye, as a French Jew on the verge of the second world war, would be interested in, Army of Shadows and Mr. Klein.  Friday, we celebrate the birthdays of director Rene Clair and actress Bibi Andersson.  Our Friday night spotlight is on non-Hollywood musicals, so we have movies from France, India, Denmark, Britain and Germany.  Finally on Saturday we start the day with autobiographical movies of a sort.  Obviously there is fictional leeway from Louis Malle, while Distant Voices, Still Lives is more about Terrence Davies' family than about Davies himself.  We also see the TCM premier of Bob Fosse's autobiographical All that Jazz as well as Mohsen Makmalbaf's A Moment of Innocence, the movie he made about his time as an anti-Shah activist at a demonstration, involving the very police officer he stabbed there as an adviser.  Finally we have four final features by four great directors, including the TCM essentials feature Gerturd, by Carl Dreyer, and the Underground feature Eyes Wide Shut by Stanley Kubrick.

Touche Skimpole.  This is an 'in my dreams' kind of eclectic schedule that I would love to see on TCM.

Thankfully, I have seen a great deal of these films but would dearly like to to record them if they were ever on tv uncut.

Of those I have been hoping to see someday are Dovzhenko's Arsenal, aka Frontier; Raj Kapoor's Awaara aka The Vagabond; Ice by the AFI and Wong Kar-Wai's Days of Being Wild.  I've long wanted to see the original Jakob the Liar (1977).

Richard Burton and Claude Rains are not only great choices but so are the films that you have selected for them.

Kinuyo Tanaka would be a fabulous SOTM.  Perhaps they would show Her Brother (1960) on another evening.

Rene Clair and Bibi Andersson, Valedictory movies and my favourite group is the non-Hollywood musicals.  Something I may echo if I do another challenge!