Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

TCM Programming Challenge #30 -- Risky Business (Challenges)

113 posts in this topic

Incredible schedule, Skimpole.  Love, love your SOTM, Kinuyo Tanaka and your inclusion of several premieres that I would like to see on TCM including, A Hen in the Wind.  Revolutionaries is a great "risky business" choice and your block of precocious children films for the funny business challenge covers all the bases. (Meet Me in St. Louis & The Bad Seed, together, at last.) Your l'amour fou block of films is very clever and I love your BD salutes to Claude Rain & Richard Burton. Best of all is your 1930's guest programmer, Robert de la Chesnaye from The Rules of the Game. Great job.

Four stellar schedules and just a week to go.  Hope to see at least one more.

Bad news Lydecker.  Looking over my schedule I realized I had booked one movie on Monday afternoon a half an hour too short.  So to make up the time I had to replace The Bad Seed with Kiki's Delivery Service.

• Like 1

Bad news Lydecker.  Looking over my schedule I realized I had booked one movie on Monday afternoon a half an hour too short.  So to make up the time I had to replace The Bad Seed with Kiki's Delivery Service.

LOL.  Oh, well.  So, Meet Me in St. Louis meets The Bad Seed will have to wait for another challenge.

I've been busy for the past couple of weeks, so I haven't really had a chance to comment on the other schedules.  Speedracer, I particularly like the premiere for Fig Leaves, Errol Flynn sans moustache, and costumes by Edith Head.  Lonesome Polecat, "My first Talkie" is a great idea, as is Marx Brothers quote day, submarining as a dangerous profession, and the premiere of The Last Tycoon.  Bogie56, I particularly like Max von Sydow as star of the month (one of my own suggestions on past challenges), several films by Max Ophuls, as well as having Providence, 4 Little Girls, The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz and Kings of the Road as premieres.

• Like 1

While I like the idea of showing Meet Me in St. Louis with The Bad SeedKiki's Delivery Service is a great film.  I endorse this schedule change.

Great schedule Skimpole! 

I love the non-Hollywood musicals.  I absolutely adore Claude Rains and think that TCM should give him an annual birthday tribute.  I also liked the hit man movies and even though I'm not typically a fan of films centered around precocious children, I like the films that you selected.  I'm especially interested in the premiere of Bugsy Malone, a film that I've heard about, but have never seen.  I remember seeing Matilda in middle school and really enjoyed it--especially since I was a big fan of the book too! I'm glad you scheduled this film and wouldn't mind if TCM aired it sometime.

While I like the idea of showing Meet Me in St. Louis with The Bad SeedKiki's Delivery Service is a great film.  I endorse this schedule change.

Meet Me in St. Louis playing alongside The Bad Seed does give me a great idea for a future schedule  --  Bizarre Double Features!

Just 3 days left to get your schedule in!  TCM Programming Challenge #30 -- Risky Business closes Sunday, October 4 at Noon.  A voting thread will be posted shortly after.  Votes can be posted on the Voting Thread or PM'ed to me.  

Lydecker

I declare TCM Programming Challenge #30 officially closed.  A voting thread will be posted soon.

Votes will be accepted until Monday, October 12 at Noon.  You may post your vote on the thread or PM me.  Good luck to all!

To all challengers and potential voters in the TCM Programming Challenge #30 Risky Business.

For reasons that I cannot fathom I am having a myriad of problems getting into the original Voting

Thread to post the final challenger schedule. 3 are there, 1 is not.  I have put an SOS into TCMModerator1 to help me get this voting thread corrected.  In the meantime, all 4 schedules (Speedracer5, Skimpole, Bogie 56 and Lonesome Polecat) are all contained in this thread if you wish to view them here.  I apologize to everyone for the thread missing the 4th schedule and for the duplicate threads.  Clearly, the forum Gods are not with me today. Hopefully later today, all will be fixed.

Lydecker

I have not been able to open any of your Voting threads. Software times out before it finishes loading.

It is my experience that this occurs often when there are large posts within a thread. Software prefers posts as small as possible. I had particular problem at one time until I separated each entrant's schedule from their programming notes to make two large posts rather than one huge one. I have come to believe that it is of help also to add very small posts of no consequence so that average post size is less.

You have created a wonderful Challenge and ran it well. I hope that you are able to conquer this problem with ease. 

I have not been able to open any of your Voting threads. Software times out before it finishes loading.

It is my experience that this occurs often when there are large posts within a thread. Software prefers posts as small as possible. I had particular problem at one time until I separated each entrant's schedule from their programming notes to make two large posts rather than one huge one. I have come to believe that it is of help also to add very small posts of no consequence so that average post size is less.

You have created a wonderful Challenge and ran it well. I hope that you are able to conquer this problem with ease. 

Thanks.  The message boards do not like large posts, to be sure.  I initially tried putting all of the notes/schedules in one post  --  that did not work.  Then, I divided the individual notes/schedules per person into separate posts which kind of, sort of worked (thought the software wanted to refuse the posts initially)  until I went to post the final schedule/notes.  That was when I could not even access the Voting Thread topic despite many, many attempts. I tried to post a new Voting Thread (and start all over again!) but instead of posting the schedule, the software posted the topic 2x.  Even had my computer guru friend try to sort things for me out but he had no success either.  I'm going to wait to see what the forum Administrator and/or Moderator advise before trying anything else.  I didn't have any problems posting schedules in the other challenge I moderated but this time has been "challenging" to say the least!!

There are some really good schedules posted here. I finally took the time to look them over. Very clever ideas. Hope TCM's programmers 'borrow' some of them.

• Like 1