Sign in to follow this  
IanPatrickMovieReviews

"Black Fury" 1935 Starring Paul Muni - Review

4 posts in this topic

So this isn't exactly an "Adventure/Action" movie...it's more of a political thriller. I wish there were more genre categories on the TCM forum (at least a drama or suspense category)! I decided to put this movie here because there is quite a bit of action in "Black Fury." It was my first time seeing it and once again I was amazed with Paul Muni's performance! Enjoy my review below and please leave comments or follow me on YouTube to know whenever I come out with new reviews.

I'm going to start something new this week in my channel. I love horror films, so I think I will start reviewing one a week. I'll watch it on Friday nights and upload my review on Saturday. I don't know a whole lot about this genre in terms of the classic ones, but I hope people in the "Horror" genre category are willing to teach me! 

Enjoy guys!

post-52356-0-45880000-1441860043_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice review, Ian. Thanks for sharing the pictures from some of your books/reference materials. Especially loved the comment about rating performers based on their drunk scenes and crying scenes...which makes sense, if you think about it.

I don't have Muni on my top ten list of actors, but he's probably no lower than 15. He's definitely one of the best. 

Going deeper with the analysis of BLACK FURY, it would be interesting to see what was going on in Chicago at the time this film was banned there. What sort of labor tensions were occurring across the country, actually-- and in Hollywood, where groups like the Writers Guild had just been formed. So there's definitely a lot of history going on-- both in terms of what this narrative depicts, and what was happening in the background, extra filmic if you will.

• Like 1

Hey Top!

I'm glad you liked the review! It definitely had some complex issues to consider. I wanted to let you know that I'm still going to review "Love Letters." I'm dying to see it, but I'm waiting on getting Joseph Cotten's autobiography in the mail before I review it. I want to see if I can get more background information on his movies before I review more of them. I'm uploading another review as I type this message. It's "History is Made at Night," which I loveeeeeed. I'll post it in the romance section in a little bit. 

• Like 1