Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Pope Francis?

562 posts in this topic

I love this Pope.  He's exactly what the Catholic Church needs.

I would rather hear what he has to say than the current crop of political bloviators.

Yeah! Gotta say he DOES seems like a pretty nice fella overall, Mr.Six.

(...if you're into that whole sort'a shtick he does and is in charge of, I suppose) ;)

(haven't considered myself a 'Catholic' since my yoot, but am likin' this guy)  ;)

I'm in the same boat, but no matter what you believe in it's all about basic human decency and we have it with this man.  I'm sure he has some Vatican members on the run in fear, and I dearly hope he's able to change some things, like cleaning up corruption in the high levels of office if he happens to find any...  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Pope Francis Calls for Ending Tax-Exempt Status of Churches That Don’t Help the Needy

http://usuncut.com/world/pope-francis-calls-for-ending-tax-exempt-status-of-churches-that-dont-help-the-needy/

(haven't considered myself a 'Catholic' since my yoot, but am likin' this guy)  ;)

Oh sure, it's EASY for THAT guy to say such a thing! I mean, ya think the IRS is ever gonna be able to repossess his Pope-mobile when it sits in the very heart of Rome ITALY???

BUT, how about all those "poor ol'" televangelists out there, HUH?! I mean, it'd be REAL easy for those government men to get their hands on all those Mercedes sitting in their Bible Belt garages for back taxes, now wouldn't IT Mr.Six?!!!

(...ya know, you really should think this kind'a stuff through a little better and before you make comments like this) ;)

• Like 1

He's coming to my neighborhood in Philly, and I'll be lucky if I'm allowed out of my condo the whole weekend.

This whole city is shutting down for about 5 days when the Pope comes. Everybody is p.o'd

This whole city is shutting down for about 5 days when the Pope comes. Everybody is p.o'd

Ya know DGF, and while I'll admit I've personally never tried it myself(just was never my thing), I hear a lot of people recite the following over and over to help calm their nerves in times of stress:

Hail Mary, full of grace.

Our Lord is with you.

Blessed are you among women,

and blessed is the fruit of your womb,

Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God,

pray for us sinners,

now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

(...yeah, I know...that whole "hour of our death" thing IS kind'a depressing, huh!)

;)

• Like 1

It is crazy.   e.g.  some cities are not allowing drones to be flow while the Pope in in town;  the Pope isn't special.  If drones shouldn't be flow for security reasons then that should apply to everyone else in the town giving a public speech.  

Eeh! Maybe it won't be that bad for those guys in Philly after all, James?!

Remember how in '84 all us locals thought all those people comin' to the L.A. Olympics was gonna make gettin' around on the freeways a real BITC...errr...I mean even more of a headache than it normally was?

But what happened? Nothin', RIGHT?! In FACT, for some weird reason the freeways were much less congested than normal, now weren't they!

And so, maybe they'll luck out back there in Philly TOO, and just like we did back in the day!

(...but just in case ya don't DGF, perhaps that whole "Hail Mary" thing might be of some help to ya after all) ;)

sorry.......glad to see tight security though

:)

• Like 1

sorry.......glad to see tight security though

:)

Yeah, ain't THAT the truth, Mr.Six!!!

(...'cause ya never know what might happen in a city that once even booed Santy Claus at a football game, huh!) ;)

• Like 1

Eeh! Maybe it won't be that bad for those guys in Philly after all, James?!

Remember how in '84 all us locals thought all those people comin' to the L.A. Olympics was gonna make gettin' around on the freeways a real BITC...errr...I mean even more of a headache than it normally was?

But what happened? Nothin', RIGHT?! In FACT, for some weird reason the freeways were much less congested than normal, now weren't they!

And so, maybe they'll luck out back there in Philly TOO, and just like we did back in the day!

(...but just in case ya don't DGF, perhaps that whole "Hail Mary" thing might be of some help to ya after all) ;)

Luck out? Security is security. They're not going to change their minds. The Pope's main appearance will be about 100 yards from my condo.

Whoa!

NICE Christian atttitude there ;)

Not really nice. It is "Christian" though. History affirms that.

Just not very follower-of-Christ like.

The people of Philadelphia will in effect be living in a police state for 4 days. No cars allowed on the streets. No parking anywhere in Center City. Very limited public transportation. No food deliveries to markets No pedestrian access to many places. Libraries and all city facilities closed Peoples lives totally disrupted. With all due respect to the Pope, will someone explain to me how this is a plus for the city?

The people of Philadelphia will in effect be living in a police state for 4 days. No cars allowed on the streets. No parking anywhere in Center City. Very limited public transportation. No food deliveries to markets No pedestrian access to many places. Libraries and all city facilities closed Peoples lives totally disrupted. With all due respect to the Pope, will someone explain to me how this is a plus for the city?

And all that without hardly any warning at all! You probably won't even have time to get 4 days worth of supplies into your home with so little warning. People may actually die because of this!

I've never understood the big deal made by everyone and the news media every time a pope comes for a visit.

Especially after the big deal that was made about John F. Kennedy being Catholic and if he's elected president, then the VATICAN is gonna be running the country.!  Didn't HAPPEN, but there ya go.  Ever since then, whenever pope #whatever visits, it's treated like  a super special event.

Well, maybe for American Catholics.  But, myself being Episcopalian, I really couldn't care less.  But, I WOULD like him to answer the question one placed by GEORGE CARLIN---

Referring to how Vatican II ended the practice of prohibiting the eating of meat on Fridays, George asked if it was retroactive ----

"Or are there still guys doing time in Hell on a meat rap?"   :lol:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Hey Sepia! I assume you've seen Carlin's routine about how those 10 Commandments can logically all be condensed down to just 2, haven't ya? That's one of my all-time favorite routines of his.

(...I think it can still be found on YouTube, just in case you haven't seen it)

Actually, the Church has never abandoned abstinence on all Fridays of the year -- except when a certain type of Feast Day falls on that day of the week. Fridays are always to be days of penance, owing to the day of the crucifixion. Similarly all Sundays are feast days and are not subject to the guidelines of Lenten practices -- so if you are giving up chocolate for Lent, you may have your fill of it on Sundays if you wish to do so.

The fact is that in our modern age we no longer think much about setting aside a certain day of the week for penitential acts. Yet the Church still instructs us in this kind of observance. If one does not wish to abstain from eating meat, then one should perform another act of penance.

Just to clarify a few things. Thanks.

Brian

And all that without hardly any warning at all! You probably won't even have time to get 4 days worth of supplies into your home with so little warning. People may actually die because of this!

..and 3 of my spinning classes have been cancelled!

mayor nutter gets to kiss up to the pope. the philly news media would be crucifying a republican mayor for all the city stoppage. :D