Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Pope Francis?

493 posts in this topic

Nope, sorry Vautrin, but I don't think they should use Jerry and his gang's tune here as this program's theme song.

It would give the viewers the impression this show's sentiments were tilted to that one team.

(...and so with Stevie's song being much more encompassing in theme to ALL possible teams, I think they should stick with that one)  

I have to disagree. The Pope has had much more time to deliver

his message than the Satanists have, so this is just a bit of

Satanic affirmative action. And naturally that please allow me to

introduce myself song should be up next.

fOuyjxjY_bigger.jpeg Free Beacon‏Verified account @FreeBeacon 23h23 hours ago

Pope Francis to All Who Enter the Vatican: ‘No Whining’ Allowed https://goo.gl/fm4YeZ DEtZqsfXoAArO7j.jpg

Get Biblical...

Yeah, Jake. Don't ya just hate it when some people are always telling others how to behave, and as if their belief in a particular religion somehow gives them some sort of moral authority to do so?

And ya know what might even be WORSE is when a guy like this starts attempting to mix politics and religion, huh.

(...ah, but then again, I think you especially might know all about this already, doncha)

"A close confidant of Pope Francis, writing Thursday in a Vatican-approved magazine, has condemned those within American presidential administrations who espouse the ideology of "Christian fundamentalism" — naming White House chief strategist Steve Bannon as a proponent of such "apocalyptic geopolitics."

In a damning article, the Rev. Antonio Spadaro, editor of the influential Jesuit journal La Civilità Cattolica, also took aim at conservative religious support for President Donald Trump, accusing activists of promoting a "xenophobic and Islamophobic vision that wants walls and purifying deportations."......

saying they demonized opponents and promoted a "theocratic type of state."

He added that their vision was "not too far apart" from Islamic fundamentalism.

The article — which was co-written by a Presbyterian pastor, the Rev. Marcelo Figueroa, who is editor of the Argentine edition of the Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano —

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/vatican-vetted-magazine-accuses-steve-bannon-apocalyptic-geopolitics-n783296

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer 1h1 hour ago

Papal associates think conservative Catholics created an alliance of "hate" with Trump-backing Evangelicals: Report http://washex.am/2unE5pv DGT5wgaUAAA5G0_.jpg

Baloney...

Sorry Jake, but I don't think it's baloney at all.  I saw this story a week or two ago on a Catholic website.  Now, 'hate' might be too strong a term to use here, but I've noticed a trending of intolerance in my local, small-town parish over the years.  There was quite a bit of vitriol from some of my fellow parishioners in 2008 when President Obama was elected...not because he was a progressive Democrat, but because he was of mixed race.

Church hierarchy came out against the Affordable Care Act due to one provision in the ACA....coverage of birth control for women who choose to use it.  My bishop wrote a letter to all priests in his diocese to read prior to the 2012 election.  The bishop said he wasn't trying to tell people who to vote for in 2012, but the letter went on to break down exactly why Catholics should not support President Obama or anyone else that supported abortion rights or the Affordable Care Act.  It was at that time I stopped giving money to my church, as I thought most of our weekly offering was being funneled off to the Republican Party.

The Church has been mostly silent on violent attacks against people.  There was absolutely nothing written in my weekly Catholic newspaper or Knights of Columbus publications condemning the deaths at:  Planned Parenthood office in Colorado Springs (3 dead:  a cop, Iraq War Vet, mother of 2), Pulse Nightclub in Orlando (49 dead), or the Portland Metro system (2 killed, 1 hospitalized trying to stop a man from a racist and xenophobic rant against two young women riding on the same train).  I mean, usually when stuff like this happens, many people will speak out against the senseless act itself and offer words of comfort and support for the families of those killed and injured.  They will also state a resolve to ensure that these violent acts will not be tolerated in the future, and that, despite our many differences among our populace, it's always better to get along with one another and treat each other with a lot more respect than the loudmouths who criticize all who are different from 'us'.

Now, my bishop is going after the gay community by saying priests should not perform funerals for gay men and women who are in open, same-sex marriages.   I understand the Church not wanting to perform same-sex marriages, but to deny a dead person a funeral rite, even if the member was a devout Catholic because of whom they tied the knot with, has created a lot of sadness and bitterness within some parishes.  After Pope Francis was elected, he encouraged Catholics from all over the world to participate in an on-line survey about the state of the church and what people could do to make our faith more meaningful.  I took the survey and said one of the problems my church had to get over was thinking of itself as a country club with exclusionary membership requirements.  We limit and restrict ourselves growth opportunities because of our lack of acceptance of those who don't 'fit the mold' of what a so-called good Catholic should be.  And it's not just about gay people, but how my church treats divorced Catholics.

Too many people in the United States think if you're not white, straight, or Christian that you don't belong in this country.  Unfortunately, many in my church fall into this category, and I don't think that's the message Jesus was trying to convey to those who heard his words or enjoyed his company when he was involved in his public ministry.  

• Like 4

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer 60m60 minutes ago

Catholic law school close to Pope Francis vows to lead fight against Trump's immigration crack down http://washex.am/2hKiQxi DGy7TbsXgAE7K4c.jpg

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Mark 12:17

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Mark 12:17

And, I always "marvel" at the audacity of so many so-called and self-professed "Christians" in this country who so often seem to forget this very passage of their holy book.

And especially so when it comes to their own inclination to disregard and deny one of the very precepts this country is based upon. Yep, once again THAT would be...WAIT for it...THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.

(...and so how freakin' ironic is THAT?!...or maybe the word "hypocritical" might be of better use here, EH?!)

• Like 1

And, I always "marvel" at the audacity of so many so-called and self-professed "Christians" in this country who so often seem to forget this very passage of their holy book.

And especially so when it comes to their own inclination to disregard and deny one of the very precepts this country is based upon. Yep, once again THAT would be...WAIT for it...THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.

(...and so how freakin' ironic is THAT?!...or maybe the word "hypocritical" might be of better use here, EH?!)

I thought of pointing this out as well after reading Jake' post, but then I thought, why bother? The point will be lost or ignored.

• Like 1

I thought of pointing this out as well after reading Jake' post, but then I thought, why bother? The point will be lost or ignored.

considering the rampant immorality in america today I'd say the separation of church and state is a big success.

considering the rampant immorality in america today I'd say the separation of church and state is a big success.

I agree since most of the immoral folks are living in the White House or on a golf resort!    :P

• Like 2

Yeah, let's see, which posters on this board advocate killing other people on a daily basis? Who applauds when more people lose health care or become disenfranchised? Who calls for people to be "wiped out"? Who advocates the reduction of other facets of the social safety net designed to help the least fortunate? Who cheers when the richest 1% get tax breaks? Who implies the inferiority of other races and religions, to the point of calling other posters "mixed-blood" while proudly stating their own "racial purity"? Who talks about slaves "happily walking about" in the "good old days"?

Oh right. The "Christians".

• Like 3

popedogs.png

I take it Pope Frankie must have just watched that one Twilight Zone episode starring Arthur Hunnicutt when he decided this.

(...well, good for him then)

• Like 2

Does this include the fleas? :wacko:

popedogs.png

So what about him? :o

c09e8497f361.jpg

Ironically these two look like two of my favorite dogs.

My Fox was extremely feisty and he certainly could handle any situation, but I would never call him demonic.

He was a most affectionate animal and loyal, the way all Terriers are.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:38 AM, JakeHolman said:

I can imagine they're getting a lot of Demands from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. LMREO

The way people are flying out of those doors at the White House you would think a demon was on their Trail.

http://thephilosophicalsalon.com/political-correctness-goes-to-the-vatican/

Pope Francis usually displays the right intuitions in matters theological and political. Recently, however, he committed a serious blunder in endorsing the idea, propagated by some Catholics, of changing a line in the Lord’s Prayer. The prayer’s contentious bit asks God to “lead us not into temptation”: “It is not a good translation because it speaks of a God who induces temptation. I am the one who falls; it’s not him pushing me into temptation to then see how I have fallen. A father doesn’t do that, a father helps you to get up immediately. It’s Satan who leads us into temptation, that’s his department.” So, the pontiff suggests we should all follow the Catholic Church in France which already uses the phrase “do not let us fall into temptation” instead.

Convincing as this simple line of reasoning may sound, it misses the deepest paradox of Christianity and ethics. Is god not exposing us to temptation already in paradise where he warns Adam and Eve not to eat the apple from the tree of knowledge? Why did he put this tree there in the first place, and then even drew attention to it? Was he not aware that human ethics can arise only after the Fall? Many perspicacious theologians and Christian writers, from Kierkegaard to Paul Claudel, were fully aware that, at its most basic, temptation arises in the form of the Good. Or, as Kierkegaard put it apropos Abraham, when he is ordered to slaughter Isaac, his predicament “is an ordeal such that, please note, the ethical is the temptation.”[ii] Is the temptation of the (false) Good not what characterizes all forms of religious fundamentalism?