Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Pope Francis?

468 posts in this topic

Actually, the Church has never abandoned abstinence on all Fridays of the year -- except when a certain type of Feast Day falls on that day of the week. Fridays are always to be days of penance, owing to the day of the crucifixion. Similarly all Sundays are feast days and are not subject to the guidelines of Lenten practices -- so if you are giving up chocolate for Lent, you may have your fill of it on Sundays if you wish to do so.

The fact is that in our modern age we no longer think much about setting aside a certain day of the week for penitential acts. Yet the Church still instructs us in this kind of observance. If one does not wish to abstain from eating meat, then one should perform another act of penance.

Just to clarify a few things. Thanks.

Brian

Was just quoting a formerly Catholic comedian, and couldn't really give a **** about any "clarification".  

AND, it seems that the ONLY thing Catholics are consistent about is their sense of self righteous indignation!

Sepiatone 

• Like 1

it seems that the ONLY thing Catholics are consistent about is their sense of self righteous indignation!

I don't know why you would say such a thing. It's certainly not true.

Evangelicals are far more indignant. Catholics are really quite mild-mannered about what they believe, in my experience.

• Like 2

mayor nutter gets to kiss up to the pope. the philly news media would be crucifying a republican mayor for all the city stoppage. :D

Nutter is a graduate of a Catholic prep school.

Nutter is a graduate of a Catholic prep school.

and I went to a catholic grade school for one year as a kid and attended a catholic high school but that doan make me a catholic. :D

and I went to a catholic grade school for one year as a kid and attended a catholic high school but that doan make me a catholic. :D

You use the word "doan" in Catholic school, the nun would rap you five times with a stick.

• Like 3

You use the word "doan" in Catholic school, the nun would rap you five times with a stick.

probably. them nuns are tough hombres. :)

probably. them nuns are tough hombres. :)

Waddaya mean "probably" here, ND. (btw, I'm actually kind'a shocked you didn't spell that as "prolly" here...but I digress)

Didn't you say you attended Catholic schools in the first grade and then later right through high school?

And so THINK about this here! Wouldn't this maybe explain why your knuckles get so stiff, swollen and inflamed just before it always starts raining?!

(...you know, after all those years of Sister Mary Beth rapin' on 'em with that damn ruler of hers?!!!)

Waddaya mean "probably" here, ND. (btw, I'm actually kind'a shocked you didn't spell that as "prolly" here...but I digress)

Didn't you say you attended Catholic schools in the first grade and then later right through high school?

And so THINK about this here! Wouldn't this maybe explain why your knuckles get so stiff, swollen and inflamed just before it always starts raining?!

(...you know, after all those years of Sister Mary Beth rapin' on 'em with that damn ruler of hers?!!!)

"Rapin'"  on them"? A nun? An unfortunate typo.

Pat Buchanan, a devout Catholic, reflects on the disturbing moral trends in America and the Catholic Church: 

http://buchanan.org/blog/us-and-catholicism-in-crisis-124092

"The Argentine known as the "slum pope" for ministering to the downtrodden in his native Buenos Aires is expected to urge America to take better care of the environment and the poor and return to its founding ideals of religious liberty and open arms toward immigrants.

During the flight, Francis defended himself against conservative criticism of his economic views. He told reporters on the plane that some explanations of his writings may have given the impression he is "a little bit more left-leaning."

But he said such explanations are wrong: "I am certain that I have never said anything beyond what is in the social doctrine of the church." Joking about whether he is truly Catholic, he added, "If I have to recite the Creed, I'm ready."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5dccfb491d484454b8f0f3734b39454e/pope-ends-cuban-trip-address-families-heads-us

• Like 1

I did the fourth grade in a catholic school and later attended a catholic high school.

there really wasn't a lot of misbehavin' in my fourth grade at st. mike's not with them nuns.

it was kinda fun having to say grace with the rosary. my first rosary was this cheapie thing with plastic beads on a string which made me feel inadequate so I got me one with a metal chain link. :)

This whole city is shutting down for about 5 days when the Pope comes. Everybody is p.o'd

LOL. The price one pays for living in a metropolis on either coast...

It is crazy.   e.g.  some cities are not allowing drones to be flow while the Pope in in town;  the Pope isn't special.  If drones shouldn't be flow for security reasons then that should apply to everyone else in the town giving a public speech.  

No one wants an assassinated pope on their watch or in their city.............

:D

I DO believe you meant "RAPPIN' " there, Darg!

I mean, if it WAS how you wrote, HOW LONG would it have taken to get the SMELL off them knuckles?  :D

Anyway...My stepfather was Catholic and went to Catholic schools as a kid.  My kid sister( actually, a HALF-sister) was baptized Catholic, and also attended Catholic school until Jr. High.  But, my MOM had to go to the school to ever have any discussions with the teachers concerning my sister.  HE was still so traumatized he strongly REFUSED to step inside the school!  

And, you should have seen how meek he behaved whenever his older sister would visit.  Well, she WAS a "sister".  Eventually achieving the "rank" of Mother Superior in her parish.. AND she was also principal of the ST. Alphonsus  Catholic school in a neighboring city.  NOT the Catholic school my sister went to, though.

Sepiatone

I love this Pope.  He's exactly what the Catholic Church needs.

I would rather hear what he has to say than the current crop of political bloviators.

Bloviaters?? I learned a new word!

Bloviaters?? I learned a new word!

I stole that word from different online news sites that are using it.  Most are referring to Donald Trump.  Here's a cut-and-paste:

1. A public figure, such as a politician or an actor, who makes outlandish, strident statements on issues, thinking that the average man will care about their opinions. 

2. Someone who pontificates about issues of which they are uninformed, yet pretend to be expert. 

3. Pompous blowhard, using their celebrity to speak about topics on which they are totally unqualified.

• Like 2

I stole that word from different online news sites that are using it.  Most are referring to Donald Trump.  Here's a cut-and-paste:

1. A public figure, such as a politician or an actor, who makes outlandish, strident statements on issues, thinking that the average man will care about their opinions. 

2. Someone who pontificates about issues of which they are uninformed, yet pretend to be expert. 

3. Pompous blowhard, using their celebrity to speak about topics on which they are totally unqualified.

LMREO! Fits pretty well.........:D

whatta stark contrast.

obama welcomes pope francis like he's nelson mandela...

but treated benjamin netanyahu like some pariah.

Hollywood! :lol:

LOL. The price one pays for living in a metropolis on either coast...

Right now, I'm carrying all my gym stuff around in two see-through trash bags, as per instructions. I look like I'm homeless.

Gotta say, the guy's speech to Congress this morning sure seemed to offer up support from and to each side of the aisle, alright...and at different various times depending upon his personal thoughts and opinions about the issues of immigration, climate change, abortion and the death penalty, of course.

But hey, you can never go wrong mentioning Honest Abe and the Reverend Martin in a speech to that hallowed assembly to bring people together.

(...nope, this Pope seemed to know how to work the room, anyway...good job there Francis baby!)

• Like 1

I guess we've come a long way from the time that JFK nearly lost the Presidency because he was Catholic and people thought he would take orders from the Pope!

• Like 1