Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

LOVE AFFAIR (1939)

16 posts in this topic

This film was remade twice, but nothing surpasses the original. I am watching it this afternoon. Such a beautiful film, brings tears to my eyes. 

I love the sequence where they visit Maria Ouspenskaya's character and pray at the church together. Exquisite, simple, lovely. What a classic romance!

• Like 4

I don't understand why TCM seldom plays this film. It's such a crowd-pleasing classic. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why TCM seldom plays this film. It's such a crowd-pleasing classic. 

It may be due to the fact that "An Affair To Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr has became such a famous film throughout the years.

Sometimes, the remake eclipses the original.

For example, the first and second remakes of "Waterloo Bridge".

• Like 1

It may be due to the fact that "An Affair To Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr has became such a famous film throughout the years.

Sometimes, the remake eclipses the original.

For example, the first and second remakes of "Waterloo Bridge".

Yes, that's a strong possibility. But I don't think the Grant-Kerr pairing comes anywhere close to capturing the magic that Dunne & Boyer have in the original. 

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-10%2Bat%2B5.41.1

Boyer and Dunne made two more films after LOVE AFFAIR. There was WHEN TOMORROW COMES, a romance drama for Universal which hit screens later in 1939 (TCM has never aired it). And then in 1944, they reunited for Columbia's romantic comedy TOGETHER AGAIN.

• Like 2

For anyone who missed LOVE AFFAIR yesterday, TCM will be rebroadcasting it on November 9th.

It also still available to stream on Amazon Prime.

• Like 1

This film was remade twice, but nothing surpasses the original. I am watching it this afternoon. Such a beautiful film, brings tears to my eyes. 

I love the sequence where they visit Maria Ouspenskaya's character and pray at the church together. Exquisite, simple, lovely. What a classic romance!

Yes. The leads are superb and it's a wonderful opportunity to see a sophisitcated Maria Ouspenskaya, who too often was cast as grisled ethnic character types. She glows in this movie.

• Like 1

Yes. The leads are superb and it's a wonderful opportunity to see a sophisitcated Maria Ouspenskaya, who too often was cast as grisled ethnic character types. She glows in this movie.

Great comment Dougie. I think one of the reasons I love the Republic western WYOMING (1947) so much is because Ouspenskaya plays an ethnic character but she has a tender quality, suggesting a life of sophistication back in Europe before coming to the American west. Then there's Republic's musical I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946), directed by Frank Borzage, where she plays a patroness of the arts, which is kind of a glamorous role for her. She's interesting to watch on screen.

• Like 1

I haven't seen either WYOMING or I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, but I'll look for both. Type-casting was (and is) cruel because B level and below stars didn't always get to express their full range. A-listers were sometimes indulged with a wider range of roles.

• Like 1

I haven't seen either WYOMING or I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, but I'll look for both. Type-casting was (and is) cruel because B level and below stars didn't always get to express their full range. A-listers were sometimes indulged with a wider range of roles.

WYOMING should be a better known 'A' western. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU was the first of three that Frank Borzage did at Republic in the postwar years. It was also a rare example of Republic making a musical in Technicolor-- they tended to film in black-and-white until December 1946 when the studio began to use its own Trucolor process. Ouspenskaya is perfectly cast in both and does get a chance to show her range as a performer.

screen-shot-2017-04-17-at-10-12-40-am.jp

• Like 1

Maria was memorable in the Wolf Man, playing the fortune teller.  Granted, it goes to your point that she was often stereotyped. 

• Like 2

Oh thanks for the suggestion. I know what I will watch this weekend :) I like Irene Dunne and her films, one of my favorite is Roberta (1935).

• Like 1