mr6666

Healthcare in America?

630 posts in this topic

When one is nauseated from a cold or flu, chicken soup for some reason is the only thing one can eat and keep down.

Well, I had no problem keeping my GRANDMOTHER'S chicken soup down.  She made hers with barley instead of rice or noodles.  I miss it almost as much as I miss HER.  :)

Sepiaotne

"Bernie Sanders introduced a very simple symbolic amendment Wednesday night, urging the federal government to allow Americans to purchase pharmaceutical drugs from Canada, where they are considerably cheaper. Such unrestricted drug importation is currently prohibited by law....

The policy has widespread support among Americans:

the vote was not purely along party lines: 13 Republicans joined Sanders and a majority of Democrats in supporting the amendment, while 13 Democrats and a majority of Republicans opposed it.

One of those Democrats was New Jersey’s Cory Booker, who is considered a rising star in the party and a possible 2020 presidential contender.....

Booker and some of his Democratic colleagues who opposed the Sanders amendment are longtime friends of the drug industry. As MapLight data shows, Booker has received more pharmaceutical manufacturing cash over the past six years than any other Democratic senator: $267,338....

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/12/cory-booker-joins-senate-republicans-to-kill-measure-to-import-cheaper-medicine-from-canada/

-looks like Dems ain't changing their stripes !!

:blink:

Wish they can come out with drugs that don't cause suicidal thoughts i.e. Lyrica.  Been hearing on TV spots about this side effects with certain drugs.  Maybe receiving the bill is at fault?vis.gif

This just shows how hopelessly corrupt the American political system is when politicians are bought by lobbyists.  The chart on who received what and how they voted is black and white.

• Like 1

Wish they can come out with drugs that don't cause suicidal thoughts i.e. Lyrica.  Been hearing on TV spots about this side effects with certain drugs.  Maybe receiving the bill is at fault?vis.gif

My wife took Lyrica for a spell.  Didn't have any suicidal thoughts, but it didn't do much to HELP her either.

Ever hear the list of side effects attributed to the "quit smoking" drug Chantix?

Suicidal thoughts is among them, along with "anxiety, mood swings,  anger,  behavior changes, panic, feeling sad or empty,  loss of interest or pleasure, restlessness."

In other words, what you feel anyway by just quitting cold turkey.  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Ever hear the list of side effects attributed to the "quit smoking" drug Chantix?

Suicidal thoughts is among them, along with "anxiety, mood swings,  anger,  behavior changes, panic, feeling sad or empty,  loss of interest or pleasure, restlessness."

In other words, what you feel anyway by just quitting cold turkey.  :D

Sepiatone

Several years ago, there was a judge in my judicial circuit that was a smoker.  On a break between court sessions one day, the court reporter asked him how is efforts to quit were going.  He said "Not bad, but sometimes I can't get over the vivid nightmares.".  "Nightmares?", I asked.  Then he told me he was taking Chantix, and I nodded in understanding, having heard the disclaimer in their commercials.  I don't know how long he was on the stuff, but he quit smoking for about 6-7 years.  Last time I worked with him (about a year ago), he had gone back to smoking!

Whether one quits cold turkey or uses some kind of aid, most ex-smokers I know say it's the hardest thing they've ever had to do in their lives.  People who haven't smoked for 20 or 30 years still say they miss it!  Maybe it's because I don't prefer to do hard stuff or I'm too sentimental, but I keep smoking, myself! :o

Yeah, it's not good for me, and it is an expensive habit in which to partake.  My solace is that at least I'm not a "chainer".

insurance companies are completely fed up with the GOP, and do not find it rational nor beneficial for Americans, to completely wipe out Obamacare.

As explained by Wired, here is why:

“Obamacare has plenty of critics, but scrapping it in its entirety is rash and will benefit few—particularly not the over 20 million people who didn’t have healthcare coverage before it was enacted. But what seems to be in the process of happening now—-cutting off the programs’ money without changing the underlying regulations—is kind of even worse....."

http://newcenturytimes.com/2017/01/13/insurance-companies-drop-a-massive-bomb-on-republicans-over-obamacare-its-brilliant/

As Bernie said in the Senate hearings making health care available for all is not the same thing as guaranteeing them health care.  12 million dollar homes are available to purchase but that doesn't mean people can afford to buy them.  

• Like 2

As Bernie said in the Senate hearings making health care available for all is not the same thing as guaranteeing them health care.  12 million dollar homes are available to purchase but that doesn't mean people can afford to buy them.  

Heh!

Yeah, I saw that clip.  Tickled the hell out of me.    And now there's another wrinkle in the healthcare issue....

"Out of network" doctors working in hospital emergency rooms that they're "out of network" from, Or not a network member of a particular insurance group.  A case I saw in a news report told of a lady who took her kid to an emergency room of a hospital that was in the system her kid's pediatrician belonged to, and discovered that both an "out of network" doctor and anetheiologist performed some medical service on him, and since they WERE "out of network", her insurance refused to cover the claim and she wound up with a bill for $3,000!

I'm fighting a similar thing now, but MY bill is only $1100.

Sepiatone

"Trump created a stir with his remarks to The Washington Post over the weekend about universal coverage.

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.” 

The promise sounded more like the Democrats’ push for universal coverage than the GOP’s focus on bringing down costs and regulation in healthcare.  

Republican congressional leaders have repeatedly declined to pledge that all of the 20 million people who gained coverage under ObamaCare will stay covered under a replacement. ...

Kellyanne Conway, went on MSNBC shortly after his comments about “insurance for everybody” and pivoted back to standard Republican ideas like selling insurance across state lines and expanding health savings accounts....

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/314698-trump-scrambles-gops-healthcare-plans

:blink:

Had a rude awakening about health care costs.  Our insurance plan was eliminated because of the "Cadillac Tax" with Obamacare, so we unwisely chose one with a high deductible and no prescription drug coverage.  This week I was prescribed something for a not uncommon, not serious condition I have from time to time.  At the pharmacy I was dumbfounded by the price:  $1480!  Needless to say, I didn't buy it.  The clerk was unfazed, so I assume this happens fairly often.  Okay if it's not essential, but if so, what then?  Something's gotta change.

• Like 1

Had a rude awakening about health care costs.  Our insurance plan was eliminated because of the "Cadillac Tax" with Obamacare, so we unwisely chose one with a high deductible and no prescription drug coverage.  This week I was prescribed something for a not uncommon, not serious condition I have from time to time.  At the pharmacy I was dumbfounded by the price:  $1480!  Needless to say, I didn't buy it.  The clerk was unfazed, so I assume this happens fairly often.  Okay if it's not essential, but if so, what then?  Something's gotta change.

"Cadillac Tax" was delayed until 2020.  I think your employer screwed you.

All the Republicans have to do is repeal ACA and at same time enact another law with the same provisions.  Only difference is call it TrumpCare or GOPCare or RyanCare or McConnellCare and the people who hate "Obamacare" will love it.

• Like 1

All the Republicans have to do is repeal ACA and at same time enact another law with the same provisions.  Only difference is call it TrumpCare or GOPCare or RyanCare or McConnellCare and the people who hate "Obamacare" will love it.

The new pres. will HAVE to settle for it being called "Trumpcare" just as he grudgingly had to put up with his campaign signs reading "TRUMP" instead of "THE DONALD".

Sepiatone

The new pres. will HAVE to settle for it being called "Trumpcare" just as he grudgingly had to put up with his campaign signs reading "TRUMP" instead of "THE DONALD".

Sepiatone

Thre is an orange cat that shows up on our property occasionally.  We have nick-named it The Donald.

Although his coloring and grooming is far better than that of the other "Donald."

There was an interesting letter today in my paper's "Op-Ed" section.

A guy wrote in to point out that technically, healthcare "costs" didn't "skyrocket".  Healthcare "costs" in this case in the way he put it, being what  healthcare insurance companies PAY OUT in claims.  And notice YOUR "co-pays" are increasing and what they cover is  decreasing. 

What most people claim to be healthcare "costs"  are what they really mean to say are healthcare insurance PREMIUMS, which the ACA has NO hand in determining.  The only connection to it that it MIGHT have is that the ACA  makes them unable to drop policyholders once the get sick( or too sick for them to want to cover) and also unable to deny coverage to those who've already BEEN sick.  and the insurance companies, to hedge their profit margins, do so with the jiggling of premium charges, co-pays and out-of-network charges in order to assure their directors not ever get caught driving last year's Lincoln.

The only thing the ACA lacked was a cap on premiums and the rquirement of a thorough review of any requests for permission to do so.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

"President Trump reneged on his promise, one in line with a longstanding Democratic pledge, to cut the costs of prescription medication by allowing Medicare to negotiate bulk discounts.

Matthew Yglesias reports for Vox this morning that “after a meeting with pharmaceutical industry lobbyists and executives, he abandoned that pledge, referring to an idea he supported as recently as three weeks ago as a form of ‘price fixing’ that would hurt ‘smaller, younger companies.'”

http://usuncut.com/news/meeting-big-pharma-trump-drops-promise-lower-drug-prices/

-thanks, Chump :angry:

Donny the master negotiator gets rolled by

Big Pharma in a day. This clown is clueless.

• Like 1