mr6666

Healthcare in America?

567 posts in this topic

You can add the $186.5 Billion VA budget requested by Trump to the $700 Billion for DOD.  So, we are actually spending $886.5 Billion per year on "military."

Congress and too many others fail to consider that funding for the VA is a "military" expense.  

They also fail to consider that personnel related costs require a commitment for up to 60 years for many individuals.  More troops = more disabled veterans, more retirees, more survivor beneficiaries, etc.

• Like 2

You can add the $186.5 Billion VA budget requested by Trump to the $700 Billion for DOD.  So, we are actually spending $886.5 Billion per year on "military."

Congress and too many others fail to consider that funding for the VA is a "military" expense.  

They also fail to consider that personnel related costs require a commitment for up to 60 years for many individuals.  More troops = more disabled veterans, more retirees, more survivor beneficiaries, etc.

Nuclear stuff. While the Department of Defense is responsible for delivering nuclear weapons to their intended targets, stockpile management largely falls under the Department of Energy's portfolio. Defense-related nuclear waste disposal, sea-borne military nuclear reactors, aspects of stockpile security, and various less-defined "weapons activities" and "defense activities" are all included in Energy's budget.

The total tab came out to $17.8 billion for fiscal year 2015. The US is also in the midst of a nuclear modernization push that critics claim will cost around $1 trillion over the next 3 decades.

Nuclear stuff. While the Department of Defense is responsible for delivering nuclear weapons to their intended targets, stockpile management largely falls under the Department of Energy's portfolio. Defense-related nuclear waste disposal, sea-borne military nuclear reactors, aspects of stockpile security, and various less-defined "weapons activities" and "defense activities" are all included in Energy's budget.

The total tab came out to $17.8 billion for fiscal year 2015. The US is also in the midst of a nuclear modernization push that critics claim will cost around $1 trillion over the next 3 decades.

We could also factor in the $44 Billion budget for Homeland Security since it is "national defense."  So between DOD, DOE, VA and HS, the annual budget for "defense" is over $ 1 Trillion.

• Like 2

Hospice patients abandoned at death’s door

".......“I thought if I had hospice, I would get the support I needed. They basically said they would provide 24/7 support,” she said, shaking her head in disbelief, three years later. “It was a nightmare.”

The Martins had entrusted the ailing doctor’s final days to one of the nation’s 4,000-plus hospice agencies, which pledge to be on call around-the-clock to tend to a dying person’s physical, emotional and spiritual needs.

Yet the hospice care that people expect — and sign up for — sometimes disappears when they need it most. Families across the country, from Alaska to Appalachia, have called for help in times of crisis and been met with delays, no-shows and unanswered calls, a Kaiser Health News investigation shows.......

The mission of hospice is to offer peaceful, holistic care and to leave patients and their loved ones in control at the end of life. Agencies receive nearly $16 billion a year in federal Medicare dollars to send nurses, social workers and aides to care for patients wherever they live. While the vast majority of hospice care is covered by Medicare, some is paid for by private insurance, Medicaid and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. ....

... Today, however, many providers are part of for-profit companies and large, publicly traded firms. It’s a lucrative business: For-profit hospices saw nearly 15 percent profit margins on Medicare payments in 2014, .....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/no-one-is-coming-hospice-patients-abandoned-at-deaths-door

• Thanks 1

Pfizer, pocketing a big tax cut from Trump, will end investment in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's research

".... The big drug company Pfizer seems intent on being a pace-setter in cranking out the benefits of the tax cut to stakeholders who need them the least. In an announcement over the weekend, Pfizer said it was shutting down its research efforts on treatments for Alzheimer's and Parkinsonism. The company didn't say how much it was spending on the two conditions, but said about 300 researchers will lose their jobs as it redirects its research and development budget elsewhere. ....

an Alzheimer's cure would be the very definition of a blockbuster drug, since 5.5 million Americans are known to suffer from the disease and the patient base is expected to expand markedly as the population ages. Parkinson's afflicts about 1 million Americans, the Parkinson's Foundation says. .....

Pfizer's diversion of its tax break to shareholders parallels its behavior the last time American companies received a tax holiday on repatriated foreign earnings. That was in 2004, after corporations promised to apply their tax savings to hiring more workers and investing in their business.

Instead, they laid off workers, bought back their shares, and pumped up their CEO compensation. .........

http://beta.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-pfizer-20180108-story.html#nt=tertiarynavbar

:(

Maybe someone at Pfizer watched "Rise of The Planet of The Apes" and thought finding a cure was a very bad idea.

NPRVerified account @NPR 11h11 hours ago

Breaking: Medicaid will allow states to create a work requirement for "able-bodied" adults to qualify for Medicaid. The new policy marks the first time Medicaid has allowed states to impose such requirements as a precondition of coverage.

Another example of what's wrong with out healthcare system.

For crying out loud, this is for 30 GD pills!:angry:

DAPAGLIFLOZIN helps to treat type 2 diabetes. It helps to control blood sugar. Treatment is combined with diet and exercise. The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of Farxiga is around $434.11, 18% off the average retail price of $529.62.

forxiga.jpg

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

NPRVerified account @NPR 11h11 hours ago

Breaking: Medicaid will allow states to create a work requirement for "able-bodied" adults to qualify for Medicaid. The new policy marks the first time Medicaid has allowed states to impose such requirements as a precondition of coverage.

We'll never have this problem in Kansas because Brownback doesn't allow any adult under 65 who is able-bodied to be on Medicaid.

Brownback rejected the Medicaid expansion program offered by the federal government under Obama because it was offered by Obama. So in other words, he rejected health care for thousands of needy, infirm and sick Knsans because he didn't like Obama.

That's so easy to do when the state of Kansas is paying for your health care and you have enough money to pay for your own health care and you just don't care about anybody else or  the oath that you took when you became Governor of the State of Kansas.

Brownback Broke the Back of Kansas-- Good Riddance!

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Brownback rejected the Medicaid expansion program offered by the federal government under Obama because it was offered by Obama. So in other words, he rejected health care for thousands of needy, infirm and sick Knsans because he didn't like Obama.

It's the American way. No sense; no logic - designed to be ineffective for as many citizens as possible while always servicing the privileged classes.

Maybe you should be more patriotic - more accepting of the way it's set up.

• Like 1

Forteo - the only drug for osteoporosis that actually grows bone. When it came to market in 2005 it was 500 dollars a month. Today, with no change in the drug whatsoever, it is 3700 dollars a month. My doc says it would be my best option, but the insurance company won't pay anything for it. I'm not poor, but I'm not rich enough to afford the almost 90000 dollars it would cost for the recommended two years of treatment. How is big pharma any better than Martin Shkreli, obnoxious laughing boy who buys up patents and raises prices on vital drugs 100 times? They are doing the same thing, only without the public smirk, and they are doing it slower.

• Sad 3

Spreading 'Like Wildfire': Majority of Americans—Including 74% of Democrats—Now Support Single-Payer

"When people see the justice of an idea, it spreads like wildfire," responded Sen. Bernie Sanders. "The American people know that healthcare should be a right."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/04/12/spreading-wildfire-majority-americans-including-74-democrats-now-support-single?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

The problem with prescription drug prices

What one city did to fight high drug prices reveals a drug supply chain in which just about every link can benefit when prices go up

".......... It's absolute secrecy. There's an absolute opaque system of pricing for drugs in our country. That's part of the problem. ....

the Federal Trade Commission charged the drug manufacturer, Mallinckrodt, with violating antitrust laws in order "to maintain extremely high prices for Acthar." ....

he discovered it wasn't always so expensive. In 2001, Acthar sold for about $40 a vial. Today: more than $40,000. An increase of 100,000 percent. .....

Synacthen cost $33 in Canada ......

That's anti-trust, and that's why the Federal Trade Commission went after them. Because they took the only competitive product, paid a lot of money for it, and put it on the shelf. ....

Every company can make profits, but this is profiteering. This is gouging.

To keep the price high, the FTC found that they did something else: they bought another drug that was Acthar's main competitor, a drug called Synacthen, that's been sold in Europe and Canada for years. ....

"...Expand our existing markets (and) find new therapeutic uses for Acthar." And so the company began to market the drug for several chronic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis that affect adults.  

Dr. Peter Bach: What's shocking to me is half a billion dollars spent on this drug for seniors where there's no evidence that it's the right drug for any of them.

They're using a time-tested strategy, they raise the price to a very high level and they concentrate their energies on a few doctors whom they can get to prescribe the drug. And it works great for their revenue. It doesn't help patients. And in 2015, it added up to half a billion dollars of expenses for Medicare.

Whether or not it's effective for these other conditions, and the company says it is, Medicare is not allowed to negotiate the price of drugs because of a law passed by Congress......

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-problem-with-prescription-drug-prices/

• Thanks 2

On 10/13/2017 at 12:43 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

The GOP gave Dems a tremendous opportunity by nominating Trump;    How did that one work out?    :lol:

I do have to say this, the fact that Donald J. Trump was the GOP nominee proves that their primary system is an honest process, because the GOP establishment would have rather had ANYBODY but this guy. Not because they are virtuous, but because I think they could foresee the train wreck his administration would become.

• Like 1

This is just another mollification for the elite who demonize those on Medicaid as lazy bums expecting something for nothing.

I already work 3 part time jobs trying to make ends meet. Not one of them offer health insurance because they limit my working hours so they don't HAVE to provide benefits. Typical health insurance premiums are higher than my monthly earnings!

I used to feel guilty about accepting government health care, then realized the taxes taken from my earnings wholly cover my medical bills. I don't run to the clinic for every little ache & pain, nor do I take any prescriptions. I still self-pay for maintenance (for example dental) It's really just in place in case of an emergency, which is the real purpose of insurance.

The government providing health insurance is manageable when you take private insurance providers & pharmaceuticals out of the picture. But they are "big businesses" and employ lots of people too. (not unlike all those large corporations that support the war industry)
  • Thanks 1