mr6666

Healthcare in America?

725 posts in this topic

What I stated is only a small part of the problem, Yours, (the cost of a couple of pills and Maalox) are doctors and insurance being greedy.

But REMENBER Ham, it was only ONE PILL, and the insurance covered the bill.  The insurance companies are only greedy when charging PREMIUMS.  But THEIR greed also comes in the form of not wanting to provide adequate coverage.  Refusal to cover certain operations, proceedues and limiting the coverage of home care.  I mean, six weeks of "twice a week" physical therapy really accomplishes NOTHING.

Sepiatone

I mean, six weeks of "twice a week" physical therapy really accomplishes NOTHING.

Sepiatone

Have to disagree.  Just completed six weeks of twice a week PT and it did work.  One key is that you have to do the at home exercises and continue after PT ends.

PT is to get you started in most situations, not a cure in itself.

And like anything else it depends on the condition being treated.

Have to disagree.  Just completed six weeks of twice a week PT and it did work.  One key is that you have to do the at home exercises and continue after PT ends.

PT is to get you started in most situations, not a cure in itself.

And like anything else it depends on the condition being treated.

I work on medical studies and what you say is true.   Of course PT doesn't 'work' in all situations but generally it is very effective with the key being the 'at home exercises'.     Also how effective PT is often can't be known for years, if not decades.   Often PT isn't to reduce pain in the short term.  If the PT is followed as one ages there is a major 'pay off' in a reduction in pain as well as increased mobility years down the road.      While I understand why one might stop doing their PT because they aren't getting a short term gain,  one should think about the future.

• Like 2

As Prices 'Skyrocket,' 20 States Sue Drug Companies for Collusion, Conspiracy-

'We have evidence of widespread participation in illegal conspiracies across the generic drug industry,' says Connecticut attorney general

"While generic competition is supposed to bring prices down, these companies secretly agreed to rig the system to drive prices up at the expense of patients,"...

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/12/15/prices-skyrocket-20-states-sue-drug-companies-collusion-conspiracy

Why can't we go back to the way it was before Obamacare, while finding an allocation of funds to provide healthcare to those with pre-existing conditions?  Ultimately, there has to be a way to have "affordable" healthcare for everyone - and Obamacare is not "affordable" for many people.  There are lots of people who now pay double or triple what they paid before Obamacare.  So essentially, we probably have 80-90% of people paying double or triple what they paid before, to enable 10-20% of people to have health care coverage.   There has to be a better way than Obamacare.  As I recall, Obama signed this through in the wee hours of the morning using his executive powers....this should never have been allowed to happen.   And when is the sky high prices of prescription medicines going to be addressed?   I've heard some pills cost hundreds of dollars for just 1 pill...and that epi-pen went up by over $1,000....the drug companies should not be allowed to do this.

Why can't we go back to the way it was before Obamacare, while finding an allocation of funds to provide healthcare to those with pre-existing conditions?  Ultimately, there has to be a way to have "affordable" healthcare for everyone - and Obamacare is not "affordable" for many people.  There are lots of people who now pay double or triple what they paid before Obamacare.  So essentially, we probably have 80-90% of people paying double or triple what they paid before, to enable 10-20% of people to have health care coverage.   There has to be a better way than Obamacare.  As I recall, Obama signed this through in the wee hours of the morning using his executive powers....this should never have been allowed to happen.   And when is the sky high prices of prescription medicines going to be addressed?   I've heard some pills cost hundreds of dollars for just 1 pill...and that epi-pen went up by over $1,000....the drug companies should not be allowed to do this.

Best post all day. Wait till Trumpus gets in. Big changes are coming.

Merry Christmas

As I recall, Obama signed this through in the wee hours of the morning using his executive powers....this should never have been allowed to happen.   

You don't recall very well. The bill passed the House on March 21, the Senate on March 25, and the President signed it on March 30. This was after a year of committee meetings and compromises. No executive powers used, just the usual old legislative process of the US government.

• Like 2

Why can't we go back to the way it was before Obamacare, while finding an allocation of funds to provide healthcare to those with pre-existing conditions? Ultimately, there has to be a way to have "affordable" healthcare for everyone - and Obamacare is not "affordable" for many people. There are lots of people who now pay double or triple what they paid before Obamacare. So essentially, we probably have 80-90% of people paying double or triple what they paid before, to enable 10-20% of people to have health care coverage. There has to be a better way than Obamacare. As I recall, Obama signed this through in the wee hours of the morning using his executive powers....this should never have been allowed to happen. And when is the sky high prices of prescription medicines going to be addressed? I've heard some pills cost hundreds of dollars for just 1 pill...and that epi-pen went up by over $1,000....the drug companies should not be allowed to do this.

You would do well to ask that question of all the people who did not have health care before Obamacare.

I'm just guessing you were not one of those people.

Having insurance companies compete should help bring the cost down.  Getting rid of the mandate forcing people to buy insurance needs to be implemented ASAP.  My health is MY business, NOT the governments. 

Trump said he likes some parts of Obamacare and will leave it intact.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/donald-trump-obamacare-interview/

Having insurance companies compete should help bring the cost down. Getting rid of the mandate forcing people to buy insurance needs to be implemented ASAP. My health is MY business, NOT the governments.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/donald-trump-obamacare-interview/

When Americans use the ER like a doctor's office because they cannot afford health care from these rip -off insurance companies, then their health is everybody's business because everybody ends up paying for them in the long run.

• Like 1

Having insurance companies compete should help bring the cost down.  Getting rid of the mandate forcing people to buy insurance needs to be implemented ASAP.  My health is MY business, NOT the governments. 

That would be true if you did not ever receive Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security Disability, SSI Disability, VA disability pension, VA medical care, and many other government supported programs.  Or go to a hospital or clinic that receives state or federal funds.

Mainly because the way it was did not work.

In order to pay for pre-esisting conditions, everyone has to pay into the pool (a mandate).  Otherwise the insurance companies will go bankrupt or just change to some other business.

I know a lot of people with various types of medical coverage and none of them are paying more than 10-15% above what they paid before the ACA six years ago.  And that 10-15% is not because of the ACA, but because of the rising costs of hospital and other medical expenses - none of it related to the ACA.

The Republicans were offered the opportunity BEFORE ACA was passed and every session since to come up with a better plan and to work with the Dems.  They NEVER even attempted to.

In order for the high cost of drugs to be addressed, we would need a Dem House, a Dem Senate, a Dem President and a Dem Supreme Court.  Trump and the GOP are totally opposed to actual regulation of the pharmaceutical industry.

• Like 2

I have never understood the reason why conservatives support deadbeats;   I.e. those NOT putting any money into the healthcare system that receive services for free.   Note that many of these are illegal immigrants.

Everyone should have to contribute to the healthcare system UNLESS they agree to pay CASH for any and all services rendered and if they don't have the CASH,   they do NOT get the service.  

One's healthcare  is NOT 'one's business' IF one takes advantage of health care services and provides ZERO compensation.

• Like 1

"Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tennessee) just conducted a Twitter poll about Obamacare repeal, and it definitely didn’t go as planned........

Roughly 8,000 people have voted on her poll as of this writing, with a whopping 84 percent of participants saying they didn’t support the repeal of Obamacare. When taking the 1,017 retweets out of 7,968 total votes on Rep. Blackburn’s (unscientific) poll, that means only 12.7 percent of participants actively supported repealing President Obama’s signature healthcare reform initiative...

Fred Mertz @S3nt13ntB31ng

@boris3324 @MarshaBlackburn <- has single payer for free. Cares not about anyone else.

3:26 PM - 3 Jan

Bob Schecter @BobSchecter

@boris3324 @S3nt13ntB31ng @MarshaBlackburn GOP obstruction caused the rates to go up. Put Congress on the plan the rest of us are on .

•  

• Like 1

Trump Pulls Quotes on ACA Out of Context-

"The insurance model doesn’t work here. It’s not like life insurance, it’s not like casualty, it’s not like predicting flooding. It doesn’t work. So Hillary believes we should simply let people who are above the line for getting these subsidies have access to affordable entry into the Medicare and Medicaid programs. They’ll all be covered. It will not hurt the program. We will not lose a lot of money. And we ought to do it."

“Look, the Affordable Health Care Act did a world of good, and the 50-something efforts to repeal it that the Republicans have staged were a terrible mistake,” Clinton said at the Athens event. “We for the first time in our history at least are providing insurance to more than 90 percent of our people.”

-Bill Clinton

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/01/trump-pulls-quotes-aca-context/

When Americans use the ER like a doctor's office because they cannot afford health care from these rip -off insurance companies, then their health is everybody's business because everybody ends up paying for them in the long run.

It works the same way with auto insurance too, and every state plus the District of Columbia requires all drivers to carry auto insurance, but nobody's grousing about that requirement.  However, if you get caught driving without insurance, you will likely have to pay a stiff court fine, and if you live in Illinois, your license will be suspended for several months if you are convicted of driving without minimum coverage.  But, the difference between auto insurance and health insurance is that not everyone in this country drives (those under 16 and the elderly, or city and suburban residents who have good public transportation for example).

Yet, everyone at some point in their lives is going to need some kind of medical attention, from newborns to the aged.   If the ACA is repealed outright, with no alternative, workable plan to replace it, then we will return to the days where local businesses and convenience stores will put out collection jars to help a local resident who has an ailment they cannot pay for because they have no insurance coverage.  When I was working, I was able to put some loose change into such containers.  Now that I'm on a fixed income, that would be difficult if not impossible for me to contribute, and the jerk inside me would say, "so what....that's what idiots voted for in November, so our misery would be self-inflicted, because, you know....individual rights".

The Republicans have many mantras regarding the finer things in life.  "I got mine, and I don't really care if you get yours" comes to mind.  Members of Congress get free health care coverage for life, even if they serve just one 2-year term in the House.  They also get a sweet pension for life, for a minimal amount of service on Capitol Hill.  For those who had no health insurance before the ACA, their motto truly was..."get sick?  die quick!".  If the ACA is repealed, I would like to see a Right to Die provision instituted, so Americans can die in peace at their choosing, provided they can make such a salient decision on their own.  Switzerland does it right...you don't need a medical reason to euthanize yourself there.

• Like 1

I saw something very sad yesterday.  CNN's Sanjay Gupta interviewed a Florida man nearing retirement with a heart condition who was unable to get health insurance was finally put at ease by enrolling for Obamacare.  Then what did he do?  He voted for Donald Trump.  He sat there lamenting that his health insurance was now going to be taken away which might bankrupt him in the end but said he was proud of voting for Trump because it was for the good of the country.  What a maroon!   I'm sure Trump would do the same for you ... not!

• Like 2

Nor do I trust a doctor who thinks we may eventually live forever.

The search for immortality....

9780446698184_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

......200_s.gif

Nor do I trust a doctor who thinks we may eventually live forever.

The search for immortality....

9780446698184_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

......200_s.gif

More deflecting from what my message was about.   Gupta made no comment one way or the other on the man's own story.  Why don't you just give up if you don't have anything relevant to add.

I remember when I was dating a Canadian, I thought their "universal health care" was a great thing-until I was told how inefficient it was! I didn't understand until someone in the house with allergies was stung by a bee- the "emergency" number was called, they were put on hold, then told we'd be called back with an appointment for treatment. Never happened. The person had to be taken to the emergency room.

OK, so the Canadian System wasn't working very well.

Now that Obamacare has come to fruition, I'm happy to finally have decent coverage (I still think Insurance is a huge scam) but who'da thought.....I CAN'T GET AN APPOINTMENT! I call the office to make an appointment, and the phone rings over 5 minutes with no answer. If they DO answer, I tell them I want an appointment, they "transfer" me and I get the unanswered ringing phone AGAIN, another 10-15 minutes before I hang up in disgust.

I have a chronic condition and need to be examined because of a new issue developing. I've been calling the Dr office for at least 4 months trying to get ANYONE to answer the phone. I hate to do it, but it seems like the only way I'm going to ever be seen is to walk into the "urgent care" section of the clinic.

I understand what my Canadian friends were talking about.

I remember when I was dating a Canadian, I thought their "universal health care" was a great thing-until I was told how inefficient it was! I didn't understand until someone in the house with allergies was stung by a bee- the "emergency" number was called, they were put on hold, then told we'd be called back with an appointment for treatment. Never happened. The person had to be taken to the emergency room.

OK, so the Canadian System wasn't working very well.

Now that Obamacare has come to fruition, I'm happy to finally have decent coverage (I still think Insurance is a huge scam) but who'da thought.....I CAN'T GET AN APPOINTMENT! I call the office to make an appointment, and the phone rings over 5 minutes with no answer. If they DO answer, I tell them I want an appointment, they "transfer" me and I get the unanswered ringing phone AGAIN, another 10-15 minutes before I hang up in disgust.

I have a chronic condition and need to be examined because of a new issue developing. I've been calling the Dr office for at least 4 months trying to get ANYONE to answer the phone. I hate to do it, but it seems like the only way I'm going to ever be seen is to walk into the "urgent care" section of the clinic.

I understand what my Canadian friends were talking about.

I've never encountered anything like that.  And besides, our 'free' universal health coverage does not mean you cannot then get your own insurance on top of that.  It's the same in England.  You can go private or you can go National Health - or both.

Hell, I've had similar trouble with various doctors BEFORE the ACA was even  a concept.  One doc I tried out TWICE, when I showed up for an appointment,  the girl at the front desk told me, "We don't see your name in the computer as having an appointment today, so would you like us to call you, or wish to wait here in case there's a cancellation?"   And this was AFTER they called me the DAY BEFORE  to "confirm" my appointment for that day!

The doctor I see now has replaced some front desk girls that left the office or quit for some reason with a bunch that can best be described as running things as if it were a MARX BROTHERS movie!

And pardon my ignorance about the intricancies of the ACA, but IS there some provision in it that DEMANDS that health care insurance companies HAVE TO, by LAW raise their premiums to astronomical levels?

I always thought it was the INSURANCE COMPANIES that determined their premium charges.  Detractors of the ACA make it sound like it was the ACA that FORCED them to against their wishes.

I certainly don't buy THAT.

And incidentally, I personally don't know ANYBODY that lost their health insurance coverage once it went into effect.  I only heard about such incidents in CAMPAIGN ADS for candidates that vow to repeal the ACA once they get elected.

Sepiatone

• Like 1