Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in May?

261 posts in this topic

Sister Constance was honored a year or more ago. It's high time sister Joan got the honors (besides Joan has a much more varied and richer resume). Joan had a long film career and starred in many classic films. How about it TCM?

• Like 6

Let's do this, immediately, if she has never received the honor.

Joan made films over 3 decades and for many different studios so TCM should have fairly ready access for enough films for a solid SOTM tribute.

• Like 1

Great idea for a thread, Hibi.  Yes, agreed, TCM should honor Joan Bennett

Okay, who's gonna get there first. Sanders or Bennett? We obviously cannot bet on this site but I do believe Vegas is looking at this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Joan made films over 3 decades and for many different studios so TCM should have fairly ready access for enough films for a solid SOTM tribute.

She's slightly short of SOTM stature. Wasn't Constance Bennett recently SOTM? They should have combined the two.

• Like 1

She's slightly short of SOTM stature. Wasn't Constance Bennett recently SOTM? They should have combined the two.

I wouldnt say so. She was a star for well over 2 decades. And starred in quite a few films considered classics today. Constance has already been SOTM.  Last fall, I believe.

I don't agree.    It would be very easy to have 4 days of Joan Bennett programming.   It could be broken down as:

Early Joan;    Me and My Gal,  Little Women,   Mississippi,  She Couldn't Take It,  and  Big Brown Eyes 

Joan grows up;  Wedding Present,  Vogues of 1938,  The Texans,    Trade Winds,  The Man in the Iron Mask

Noir style Joan;  The Women in the Window,  Scarlet Street, Women on the Beach,  Hollow Triumph,  The Reckless Moment, 

Family Joan;  Father of the Bride,  For Heaven's Sake,  Father's Little Dividend,  We're No Angels,  There's Always Tomorrow,

• Like 10

Okay, who's gonna get there first. Sanders or Bennett? We obviously cannot bet on this site but I do believe Vegas is looking at this.

Funny. Where do I place my bet?

I don't agree.    It would be very easy to have 4 days of Joan Bennett programming.   It could be broken down as:

Early Joan;    Me and My Gal,  Little Women,   Mississippi,  She Couldn't Take It,  and  Big Brown Eyes 

Joan grows up;  Wedding Present,  Vogues of 1938,  The Texans,    Trade Winds,  The Man in the Iron Mask

Noir style Joan;  The Women in the Window,  Scarlet Street, Women on the Beach,  Hollow Triumph,  The Reckless Moment, 

Family Joan;  Father of the Bride,  For Heaven's Sake,  Father's Little Dividend,  We're No Angels,  There's Always Tomorrow,

Nice layout of films. Even if they never do make Joan Bennett SOTM, your noir evening would be a perfect primetime salute.

Good programming.selection.overall, tho it appears.that.Joan did a lot of growing up between BIG BROWN EYES and WEDDING PRESENT, considering they were released.months apart in 1936 lol.

Great idea for a thread, Hibi.  Yes, agreed, TCM should honor Joan Bennett

I am a big Joan Bennett fan too.  I like the idea of separating Joan's career into topics according to her age at  the time -  This

would enable TCM to air Joan's films in segments of time periods when she made her greatest films - the 30's and 40's.

This multi-talented actress was not only superbly gifted, but beautiful as well. 

I Met My Love Again  with Joan and Henry Fonda is a very engrossing film from the late 30's.  Joan was stunning here.

Last night I re-watched early Joan - in Little Women '33.   

Going on ahead, The Reckless Moment '48 is one of my favorite films and features  the superb James Mason as a suave and handsome blackmailer who falls for his victim,  the lovely but married  Joan Bennett.

As a child growing up in the 50's and 60's I saw many of Joan's films on TV and remember Scarlet Street and Woman in the Window as very fine 40's films with Joan, Edward G. Robinson and Dan Duryea. 

In recent years I  was to discover Joan's sister Constance who was primarily a great star of the 30's.   Between AMC and later TCM I became her fan too and have enjoyed many of her fine films of the 30's as well as some great suspense films of the 40's  

The Unsuspected and Torrid Zone.

Whew!  What talent between these 2 sisters.  A friend mentioned Barbara Bennett their sister  who was in some films as well.  A very talented family!  Their dad was silent star, Richard Bennett. 

Constance was honored on TCM not long ago and I agree that Joan should be honored as well.  These 2 ladies were key and wondrous figures of Hollywood's Golden Age.. 

• Like 4

Whew!  What talent between these 2 sisters.  A friend mentioned Barbara Bennett their sister  who was in some films as well.  A very talented family!  Their dad was silent star, Richard Bennett. 

Richard Bennett also turned up occasionally in sound films. He has a very memorable part as Major Amberson in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS.

• Like 1

I'm all in favor of Joan Bennett as SOTM and like James' suggested programming. DISRAELI is another early film of interest, and she's very appealing in Fritz Lang's MAN HUNT. She was fortunate to work with some top directors. The fact that her films are split among a variety of studios makes it more difficult for TCM to arrange, though not impossible.

• Like 2

I wouldnt say so. She was a star for well over 2 decades. And starred in quite a few films considered classics today. Constance has already been SOTM.  Last fall, I believe.

Yeah, and that was a head-scratcher for me, because of the two, Joan not only had the better and longer career, she really was the better actress (not that Connie wasn't good, she was, but Joan had real versatility.)

Just because it's easy to fill up four days with a star's pictures doesn't mean the star is of SOTM stature. I'm not demeaning her--I just feels that she falls a bit short. So do a lot of others that have been SOTM.

Just because it's easy to fill up four days with a star's pictures doesn't mean the star is of SOTM stature. I'm not demeaning her--I just feels that she falls a bit short. So do a lot of others that have been SOTM.

What is your criteria exactly for a 's-t-a-r' because I'd be interested to know...

I'm all in favor of Joan Bennett as SOTM and like James' suggested programming. DISRAELI is another early film of interest, and she's very appealing in Fritz Lang's MAN HUNT. She was fortunate to work with some top directors. The fact that her films are split among a variety of studios makes it more difficult for TCM to arrange, though not impossible.

You mentioned two films that TCM airs frequently. DISRAELI is in the TCM library, and MANHUNT is a favorite of the programmers that they borrow often from Fox.

So these two would definitely show up during any month-long retrospective for Joan Bennett.

Not meaning to gang up on you, but...hang on lemme just get the pitchfork from by the back door...

K, back. Joan Bennett totally merits a SOTM. She has 98 credits to her name, and an easy half of those are features wherein she is outright or second lead. Her performance in SCARLET STREET (which is in the public domain) is the best given by an actress in 1945 and one of the best given by an actress in the 1940's period. She worked with all kinds of directors- Fritz Lang, Jean Renoir, Curtiz and even Dario Argento AND she was one of the most DARING of Hollywood actresses- taking on older (and sometimes unpleasant) roles without reserve (she became a grandmother in real life before she was forty) and not shying away from intense subject matter- the Lang films, THE RECKLESS MOMENT, THE MACOMBER AFFAIR, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, SUSPIRIA

...And maybe they would also show WE'RE NO ANGELS (1955), which is a film I'd like to see.

Plus, a year or so after she became a grandmother at 38, Joan's husband caught her meeting another man in a parking lot and shot him in the crotch... I may have messed up on the details somewhat, but that is a great Hollywood story, man.

• Like 2

Yeah, and that was a head-scratcher for me, because of the two, Joan not only had the better and longer career, she really was the better actress (not that Connie wasn't good, she was, but Joan had real versatility.)

To defend Constance, she was a pretty huge star in the 30's. It's just that her style didn't adapt well in later films. She's like Kay Francis in that regard. The types of films in which they excelled went out of fashion at the end of the 30's. If you think about it Irene Dunne suffered a little from the same thing, but she adapted because she was willing to play moms. Kay & Connie were glamour girls who didn't want to do that.

I'm all for Joan being SOTM.

Given TCM's unfathomable snubbing of Sanders over the years for absolutely no rational reason, Joan Bennett would be a mortal lock. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gabby Hayes or Spring Byington makes it before Sanders. 

• Like 2

You mentioned two films that TCM airs frequently. DISRAELI is in the TCM library, and MANHUNT is a favorite of the programmers that they borrow often from Fox.

So these two would definitely show up during any month-long retrospective for Joan Bennett.

Yes,  both Disraeli and Manhunt are good films but they were ones I left off on purpose because TCM does show them fairly often.   Anyhow,  it looks like there are enough films for a 5th day for Joan.      :)

Given TCM's unfathomable snubbing of Sanders over the years for absolutely no rational reason, Joan Bennett would be a mortal lock. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gabby Hayes or Spring Byington makes it before Sanders. 

That's funny. But...I have faith that TCM will eventually get around to Sanders. Keep the faith with me, Andy! :)

Yes,  both Disraeli and Manhunt are good films but they were ones I left off on purpose because TCM does show them fairly often.   Anyhow,  it looks like there are enough films for a 5th day for Joan.      :)

I suppose we should clarify, for the benefit of new TCM viewers reading these boards-- DISRAELI is hardly overplayed. TCM trots it out once a year for 31 Days of Oscar. But it's a title in their library.

Agreed. They could throw in some Fox premieres as well. She did 2 films with Cary Grant that havent been shown. One was Big Brown Eyes. I cant remember the other...