Sign in to follow this  
IanPatrickMovieReviews

"The Black Cat" Video Movie Review - Lugosi and Karloff...Can't Go Wrong!

7 posts in this topic

I'm soo excited to join the Horror forum here on the TCM website. This is my very first horror classic review. I'm not an expert on this genre, but I hope there are people here that can teach me a lot about the background on some of these scary movies! My reviews are designed for the casual scary movie watcher and are really just for fun! I know I enjoyed making this vid! 

If you liked this video, please subscribe to me on my YouTube channel! A horror review will come out once a week along with plenty of other classics!

post-52356-0-16533800-1443342714_thumb.jpg

post-52356-0-16533800-1443342714_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I just watched this. So we will see more candles in your next horror review? And hear more sounds in the background like trains and sirens? :)

I liked the comment about Universal using Poe's name to market the film. There were other 'adaptations' the studio made, like MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and THE RAVEN.

• Like 1

Haha definitely more candles, hopefully not more trains and sirens! I already bought some props for my horror reviews :3 I'm just gonna have fun with these ones. Nothing too in depth 

Cool. Well, you are certainly timing this right, as we go into October and lead up to Halloween.

Ian--You mentioned in the video you don't have a set list of films to see:  these are Suggestions (the more you know about the horror genre, the more you'll enjoy the films--that goes for all genres, really.

The producer I name--TCM is showing all his horror films the day before Halloween--watch his films when/if you can:

Val Lewton--see at least one or two of his films: his most famous horror films are:

Cat People (1942)

I Walked With A Zombie(1943)

The Leopard Man (1943)

The Seventh Victim (1943)--this one is especially unnerving, IMO

Ghost Ship (1943)

The Body Snatchers (1945)

Isle of the Dead (1945)

Bedlam (1946)

Three other recommendations

The Haunting (1963)

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

At least one Christopher Lee film--he made over 150 horror films--lots to pick from.

Most important--enjoy watching what horror films you choose :)

• Like 1

Ian--You mentioned in the video you don't have a set list of films to see:  these are Suggestions (the more you know about the horror genre, the more you'll enjoy the films--that goes for all genres, really.

The producer I name--TCM is showing all his horror films the day before Halloween--watch his films when/if you can:

Val Lewton--see at least one or two of his films: his most famous horror films are:

Cat People (1942)

I Walked With A Zombie(1943)

The Leopard Man (1943)

The Seventh Victim (1943)--this one is especially unnerving, IMO

Ghost Ship (1943)

The Body Snatchers (1945)

Isle of the Dead (1945)

Bedlam (1946)

Three other recommendations

The Haunting (1963)

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

At least one Christopher Lee film--he made over 150 horror films--lots to pick from.

Most important--enjoy watching what horror films you choose :)

Awesome recommendations! I wish there were more days in October! haha

• Like 1

Awesome recommendations! I wish there were more days in October! haha

There's always next October (and the October after that)...right? :)

I agree with the suggestion about Val Lewton...you can't go wrong with most of those. I particularly like THE LEOPARD MAN; THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (it's not really a sequel but uses characters from the first film); BEDLAM; and GHOST SHIP.

I find THE SEVENTH VICTIM to be a little too contrived, though it is certainly entertaining...and I can't stop thinking of THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS because they recycled the Amberson mansion set for a lot of scenes and did not camouflage it very well. So I keep expecting to see Agnes Moorehead pop up or hear Orson Welles' voice on the soundtrack. 

• Like 1