Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

lucy+does+a+tv+commercial+episode.jpg

This image brought to mind the FANTASTIC Vitameatavegamin display at the Lucy Desi Museum. Brilliantly set up so you can pose in the set! Seems difficult to photograph because of the intense lighting, though. 

vegamin.jpg

Love love LOVE the vintage TV & reproduction signs. The curators & exhibit designers did a top-notch job with the museum complexes, it's a visit I highly recommend to every Lucy fan.

• Like 3

Yes.  I think that is that episode! Doesn't Ted constantly call Rhoda "Rhonda" too? It might not be specifically this episode, but I seem to remember him calling her by the wrong name constantly. 

Yes, Ted's backstory did change.  I didn't think about that, but you're right.  Ted always seemed like a mama's boy.  He sent her money every month and she always wanted him to take her to the Teddy Award banquets.  He mentioned his mom often.  I don't think we ever see his mom, do we? 

No, Ted Baxter's mother was never seen although Ted talked about her a lot. 

She wasn't at Ted and Georgette's wedding, but then again they were married rather spontaneously at Mary's apartment.

The ceremony was performed by a minister dressed for tennis, played by a pre-THREE'S COMPANY John Ritter.

hqdefault.jpg

screen-shot-2014-04-30-at-3-59-43-pm.png

• Like 2

lucy+does+a+tv+commercial+episode.jpg

This image brought to mind the FANTASTIC Vitameatavegamin display at the Lucy Desi Museum. Brilliantly set up so you can pose in the set! Seems difficult to photograph because of the intense lighting, though. 

vegamin.jpg

Love love LOVE the vintage TV & reproduction signs. The curators & exhibit designers did a top-notch job with the museum complexes, it's a visit I highly recommend to every Lucy fan.

I think the picture of Lucy is when she says"...this stuff," being drunkypoo at this point and unable to remember the product much less say it.

I'm currently in the process of watching the BEWITCHED episodes in sequence and introducing them to someone who previously was only vaguely familiar with the series since he didn't have cable growing up in the 1990s and therefore had limited access to Nick At Nite

We are now almost finished with Season 4, which was the first season where William Asher was producer. (In the first three seasons he was credited as Production Consultant.)

Asher also directed 133 of the show's 254 episodes and was married to the show's star Elizabeth Montgomery.

He had also directed over 60% of the episodes of I LOVE LUCY.

We recently saw the Season 4 episode "To Twitch Or Not To Twitch," which includes the scene below where Samantha uses witchcraft to speed up getting ready for a dinner engagement with a McMann & Tate client. The sequence is accompanied by a piece of music that would be used in the future "Samantha in fast motion" sequences during the series.. I think it's interesting that Samantha twitches her nose and then also uses a gesture with her fingers to get the process going.

This was not the first time that Samantha moved at super-speed with the help of witchcraft, but it was the first time that the speed-up was underscored by this particular piece of music.

The music had actually been used previously in the Season 3 episode "Dangerous Diaper Dan," in the scene where Samantha and Endora use witchcraft to torment a diaper delivery man who has been working as a spy for one of McMann & Tate's advertising agency competitors. 

I loved the music.  I wonder why she didn't just zap herself into a new outfit and hairdo and forgo the manic running around? I've noticed that Samantha has various ways to use her magic.  Sometimes she twitches, sometimes she waves her hands, or she uses her hands to mimic the motion that she wants to use (perhaps that's what her finger twirling thing was all about?).  She and her mother and aunts also seem to use incantations as well for their magic. On I Dream of Jeannie, I think Jeannie pretty much always uses her trademark Jeannie blink and folded arm gesture.  

I need to re-watch Bewitched.  I know that that is a series that I definitely haven't seen all the episodes.  I know I've seen the black and white ones multiple times, but I think I've only seen a couple dozen of the color episodes.  I always preferred the episodes that focused more on Samantha and Endora.  Most of the Tabitha storylines aren't as interesting, except for the one where she had the black friend.  By the end, there was a scene where Tabitha had brown polka dots on her face and her friend had white polka dots on her face.  

I loved the music.  I wonder why she didn't just zap herself into a new outfit and hairdo and forgo the manic running around? I've noticed that Samantha has various ways to use her magic.  Sometimes she twitches, sometimes she waves her hands, or she uses her hands to mimic the motion that she wants to use (perhaps that's what her finger twirling thing was all about?).  She and her mother and aunts also seem to use incantations as well for their magic. On I Dream of Jeannie, I think Jeannie pretty much always uses her trademark Jeannie blink and folded arm gesture.  

My sister and I used to say the same thing about Samantha making herself move at super-speed to complete various tasks when she could've just zapped the end result. Of course, we always loved it when she moved in fast motion.

I think Samantha thought she was somehow cheating less by just speeding up her movement.

I think she may even said at least once.

It was interesting that sometimes the witches on BEWITCHED would use incantations but other times they would just zap.

Endora  had some great incantations and Agnes Moorehead's delivery was  so wonderful.

tumblr_inline_o1mw2pH5z41sb47j4_500.gif

• Like 1

My sister and I used to say the same thing about Samantha making her herself move at super-speed to complete various tasks when she could've just zapped the end result. Of course, we always loved it when she moved in fast motion.

I think Samantha thought she was somehow cheating less by just speeding up her movement.

I think she may even said at least once.

It was interesting that sometimes the witches on BEWITCHED would incantations but other times they would just zap.

Endora had some great incantations and Agnes Moorehead's delivery was so wonderful.

tumblr_inline_o1mw2pH5z41sb47j4_500.gif

I know that in many episodes, the main conflict would be that someone, say Aunt Clara, would accidentally use the wrong spell on say, Darrin and then she'd bail. Then, Samantha would have to find Aunt Clara and help her remember what she said in order to undo the spell. According to Samantha, a witch cannot undo another witch's magic. Is this always the case in "Bewitched"? Or was this just used sporadically when needed?

I know that in many episodes, the main conflict would be that someone, say Aunt Clara, would accidentally use the wrong spell on say, Darrin and then she'd bail. Then, Samantha would have to find Aunt Clara and help her remember what she said in order to undo the spell. According to Samantha, a witch cannot undo another witch's magic. Is this always the case in "Bewitched"? Or was this just used sporadically when needed?

The idea that one witch couldn't undo a spell cast by another witch did become "policy" on BEWITCHED although in some early episodes it was just a matter of knowing the exact spell that was used.

And, yes, quite a few episodes revolved around an incantation being spoken incorrectly by Aunt Clara and in later episodes Esmeralda with Samantha unable to undo the mistake. For example, Aunt Clara accidentally brought Leonardo Davinci into the present when she was trying to conjure up a painter to help Samantha touch up the house. Esmeralda once tried to zap up a Caesar salad but her incantation instead zapped up Julius Caesar.  

Often Aunt Clara would consult her book of spells to try to find the right "counter spell."

The idea that one witch couldn't undo a spell cast by another witch did become "policy" on BEWITCHED although in some early episodes it was just a matter of knowing the exact spell that was used.

And, yes, quite a few episodes revolved around an incantation being spoken incorrectly by Aunt Clara and in later episodes Esmeralda with Samantha unable to undo the mistake. For example, Aunt Clara accidentally brought Leonardo Davinci into the present when she was trying to conjure up a painter to help Samantha touch up the house. Esmeralda once tried to zap up a Caesar salad but her incantation instead zapped up Julius Caesar.  

Often Aunt Clara would consult her book of spells to try to find the right "counter spell."

So if Samantha knew which spell to use, she could fix it? 

In I Dream of Jeannie, I think Jeannie could change things that other genies, like her evil twin, Jeannie II, would do.  Remarkably, I think during the entire 5 years, Major Nelson only said: "I wish..." three times.

I'm still trying to obtain Bewitched seasons 7 & 8, they're the only ones I need.  Which seasons do you think are the best? I think the ones with Gladys Kravitz #1 and Darrin #1 are the best.  I'm glad there was only ever one Endora.  She was hilarious.  

So if Samantha knew which spell to use, she could fix it? 

In I Dream of Jeannie, I think Jeannie could change things that other genies, like her evil twin, Jeannie II, would do.  Remarkably, I think during the entire 5 years, Major Nelson only said: "I wish..." three times.

I'm still trying to obtain Bewitched seasons 7 & 8, they're the only ones I need.  Which seasons do you think are the best? I think the ones with Gladys Kravitz #1 and Darrin #1 are the best.  I'm glad there was only ever one Endora.  She was hilarious.  

In some Season 1 episodes, it seemed that Samantha could undo a spell if she knew the right incantation, but this notion was soon replaced by the "rule" that only the witch who casts the spell could reverse it I think by Season 2.

I know in Season 4 (which I'm currently in the process of re-watching), this "rule" was explicitly stated a few times.

I love the episodes with the original Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce). The second Gladys was kind of nasty, but with the first Gladys there is more sympathy for her mental torment even if she does bring it on herself with her snooping.

I think generally speaking the episodes with Dick York (Darrin # 1) were stronger, but there are also a lot of episodes with Dick Sargent that I really like, especially the Salem Saga arc from Season 7.  Also, Esmeralda is only in the Dick Sargent episodes and I really like her a lot.

So definitely I would say Season 1 and 2 are great because of the original Gladys Kravitz.  The three-episode story arc at the beginning of Season 3 where Tabitha's powers are revealed is also one of my favorites. That season also has the great "Crone of Cawdor" episode.

Season 4 is the first season produced by William Asher and he really l bumps up the supernatural elements (which the network wanted) so that season is a lot of fun.  There are two episodes featuring ghosts during that season. This is also the season where Serena starts appearing on a regular basis. (Her first appearance was in Season 2 in the episode where Tabitha is born but she does not appear again until Season 4.) "Hippe Hippie Hooray" is one of the great Serena episodes from that season.

Season 5 has one of my all-time favorite episodes "I Don't Want To Be A Toad, I Want To Be A Butterfly."  If you haven't seen that episode yet you should.

Season 6 is the season that introduces Esmeralda. Alice Ghostley is so great in that role.

Season 7 has the Salem Saga arc. This is also the season that features a two episode story with Imogene Coca as the brandy-loving Tooth Fairy. I love it.

And Endora (played by the one and only Agnes Moorehead) is the character that makes BEWITCHED great.

Agnes Moorehead was not known for playing comedy before BEWITCHED, but is amazing (what a vocal range she has!) and so funny. 

In some Season 1 episodes, it seemed that Samantha could undo a spell if she knew the right incantation, but this notion was soon replaced by the "rule" that only the witch who casts the spell could reverse it I think by Season 2.

I know in Season 4 (which I'm currently in the process of re-watching), this "rule" was explicitly started a few times..

I love the episodes with the original Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce). The second Gladys was kind of nasty, but with  the first Gladys there is more sympathy for her mental torment even if she does bring it on herself with her snooping.

I think generally speaking the episodes with Dick York (Darrin # 1) were stronger, but there are also a lot of episodes with Dick Sargent that I really like, especially the Salem Saga arc from Season 7.  Also, Esmeralda is only in the Dick Sargent episodes and I really like her a lot.

So definitely I would say Season 1 and 2 are great because of the original Gladys Kravitz.  The three-episode story arc at the beginning of Season 3 where Tabitha's powers are revealed is also one of my favorites. That season also has the great "Crone of Cawdor" episode.

Season 4 is the first season produced by William Asher and he really l bumps up the supernatural elements (which the network wanted) so that season is a lot of fun.  There are two episodes featuring ghosts during that season. This is also the season where Serena starts appearing on a regular basis. (Her first appearance was in Season 2 in the episode where Tabitha is born but she does not appear again until Season 4.) "Hippe Hippie Hooray" is one of the great Serena episodes from that season.

Season 5 has one of my all-time favorite episodes "I Don't Want To Be A Toad, I Want To Be A Butterfly."  If you haven't seen that episode yet you should.

Season 6 is the season that introduces Esmeralda. Akice Ghostley is so great in that role.

Season 7 has the Salem Saga arc. This is also the season that features a two episode story with Imogene Coca s the Tooth Fairy. I love it.

And Endora (played the one and only Agnes Moorehead) is the character that makes BEWITCHED great.

Agnes Moorehead was not known for playing comedy befoire BEWITCHED, but is amazing (what a vocal range she has!) and so funny. 

Ooh I have season 5, I'll need to see "I don't want to be a toad, I want to be a butterfly."  It sounds like despite all the cast changes, Bewitched was able to maintain its quality for the most part.  That is difficult to do with the addition and substitution of major characters.  I need to watch more of this show, I know I haven't seen a majority of the episodes.

Agnes Moorehead was hilarious and she's so good in her movies.  She definitely deserves more recognition than she received.  I'm surprised she never managed to win an Oscar.  Many times, she's the best part of the film that she's appearing in. 

Lol.  I just watched "The Lars Affair" episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show again.  This episode is hilarious, I never tire of it.  I think my favorite part is when Sue Ann closes the oven with her knee.  I don't know why that part cracks me up so much.  

"Angels in the Snow" followed "The Lars Affair" and this episode amuses me as well.  While I can't identify with Mary's "Autumn-Spring" relationship (as Ted calls it), I can identify with Mary and Rhoda's plight listening to much younger people discuss different events and my saying: "When I was your age, I was in high school." I'm sure others have this experience talking to me as well. The whole scene in the teenybopper clothing store cracks me up. Those highwater patch pants that Mary tries on are hideous.  

Right now, I'm watching the episode where Mary and Rhoda visit NYC to go to Rhoda's sister's wedding. 

• Like 1

I've been having my own Bewitched BeWednesdays and watching the BEWITCHED episodes in order.

I'm now up to Season 5 and yesterday I watched the episode "Samantha Goes South For A Spell," which features the clip below.

I love Elizabeth Montgomery's expression here as Serena.

65fd2788735714dd73cf17b97db416a5.jpg

• Like 1

Holden, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who tries to re-create Nick-at-Nite's Block Party Summer! That was always one of my favorite times of the year. It was so much fun to watch in the evenings (especially since I got to stay up late and watch the whole evening!) and see the cheesy, but fun themes and graphics. I remember Bewitched always seemed to be featured on Wednesdays, hence, "Bewitched Be-Wednesdays." I also remember I Love Lucy was always featured. It seems to me that 'Lucy' was always on Tuesdays.

Courtesy of my DVDs and Hulu, I can re-create my Block Party Summers. I've even used You Tube on occasion to watch old Nick at Nite Block Party Summer promos.

With the popularity of classic television programming (Me-TV, Antenna TV, etc.), it would be so great if Nick at Nite came back in its 90s form. It could even be its own channel or take the current iteration that has the nerve to call itself Nick-at-Nite and put it on its own channel and bring the real Nick-at-Nite back in all its "retro-inspired jingle and graphic-ed" glory. Boy do I miss my Nick-at-Nite evenings. It was truly one of the highlights of my childhood. I used to make sure I had my homework done every night by 8pm so that I could watch Nick-at-Nite uninterrupted until bedtime at 10:30 (eventually in high school it was 11. In the summer, all bets were off!). On Saturdays, I used to book it to the TV in the back of the house by 10pm every night (or turn off Nintendo or whatever I was doing), so that I could watch "Whole Lotta Lucy Saturday." In fact, I remember that I was in the middle of watching Lucy Saturday when I heard that Princess Diana had died.

Until my demands are met, and Nick at Nite is reinstated, I will continue to have to make do with DVDs, Hulu and You Tube.

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_lkuax0a7111qbald1o1_500.png

• Like 1

Holden, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who tries to re-create Nick-at-Nite's Block Party Summer! That was always one of my favorite times of the year. It was so much fun to watch in the evenings (especially since I got to stay up late and watch the whole evening!) and see the cheesy, but fun themes and graphics. I remember Bewitched always seemed to be featured on Wednesdays, hence, "Bewitched Be-Wednesdays." I also remember I Love Lucy was always featured. It seems to me that 'Lucy' was always on Tuesdays.

Courtesy of my DVDs and Hulu, I can re-create my Block Party Summers. I've even used You Tube on occasion to watch old Nick at Nite Block Party Summer promos.

With the popularity of classic television programming (Me-TV, Antenna TV, etc.), it would be so great if Nick at Nite came back in its 90s form. It could even be its own channel or take the current iteration that has the nerve to call itself Nick-at-Nite and put it on its own channel and bring the real Nick-at-Nite back in all its "retro-inspired jingle and graphic-ed" glory. Boy do I miss my Nick-at-Nite evenings. It was truly one of the highlights of my childhood. I used to make sure I had my homework done every night by 8pm so that I could watch Nick-at-Nite uninterrupted until bedtime at 10:30 (eventually in high school it was 11. In the summer, all bets were off!). On Saturdays, I used to book it to the TV in the back of the house by 10pm every night (or turn off Nintendo or whatever I was doing), so that I could watch "Whole Lotta Lucy Saturday." In fact, I remember that I was in the middle of watching Lucy Saturday when I heard that Princess Diana had died.

Until my demands are met, and Nick at Nite is reinstated, I will continue to have to make do with DVDs, Hulu and You Tube.

Yes, the Nick At Nite graphics and promos were the bomb, to use a 1990's expression.

(I had to explain to a co-worker once that calling something "the bomb" was a compliment.)

I loved Block Party Summer, especially Mary Mondays and Bewitched BeWednesdays.

I never liked Sgt Joe Fridays (when DRAGNET was aired) or the day devoted to HAPPY DAYS. I just could not get into that show with or without Chachi.

I also remember my mother coming into my room to tell me that Princess Diana had died.

For awhile now I've had my own Bewitched BeWednesdays, watching the BEWITCHED episodes in sequence on the DVDx starting with the first episode "I, Darrin, Take This Witch Samantha," which in my opinion is one of the greatest first TV show episodes of all-time. The way Samantha turns the tables on Darrin's ex-girlfriend Sheila  via witchcraft, finally unable to take Sheila's condescension and efforts to humiliate her, is the part that moves the episode from very good to great.

Samantha and Sheila meet again in the Season 4 episode "Snob In The Grass."

• Like 1

Yes, the Nick At Nite graphics and promos were the bomb, to use a 1990's expression.

(I had to explain to a co-worker once that calling something "the bomb" was a compliment.)

I loved Block Party Summer, especially Mary Mondays and Bewitched BeWednesdays.

I never liked Sgt Joe Fridays (when DRAGNET was aired) or the day devoted to HAPPY DAYS. I just could not get into that show with or without Chachi.

I also remember my mother coming into my room to tell me that Princess Diana had died.

For awhile now I've had my own Bewitched BeWednesdays, watching the BEWITCHED episodes in sequence on the DVDS starting with the first episode "I, Darrin, Take This Witch Samantha," which in my opinion is one of the greatest first TV show episodes of all-time. The way Samantha turns the tables on Darrin's ex-girlfriend Sheila  via witchcraft, finally unable to take Sheila's condescension and efforts to humiliate her, is the part that moves the episode from very good to great.

Samantha and Sheila meet again in the Season 4 episode "Snob In The Grass."

Re: your co-worker not knowing "the bomb," LOL.  As if! OT: Yesterday, I randomly had that jingle from an old Pepsi ad from the 90s stuck in my head.  The one with Ray Charles.  "You got the right one baby, uh huh!" 

I loved Block Party Summer.  Usually there would be one "dud" day, but occasionally, all five days would be awesome, or at least tolerable.  Lol.  My favorite days were Mary Monday and Lucy Tuesday. But I also liked Bewtiched Be-Wednesday and Jeannie Thursday.

My least favorite days were Monkee Monday, Joe Fridays Dragnet, Welcome Back Kotter Friday, and I seem to remember one day dedicated to the Jeffersons which I didn't really like either.  I actually didn't really like many of the 1970s shows except for The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Happy Days wasn't one of my favorite shows either, but I seem to remember it was on in-between two shows that I like: like I Love Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, so I ended up watching a lot of episodes.

Occasionally I'll just decide to re-watch a series in order (even though I've seen it a billion times), like I Love Lucy or The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  There are also some series like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, where I've seen a bunch of the episodes, but haven't seen all of them.  I should re-watch those.  I also really liked The Dick Van Dyke Show.  I don't own the series, but it's on Hulu and I think it's also on Netflix.

I wish I hadn't tossed all my VHS where I had recorded I Love Lucy off Nick at Nite.  At least I would still have access to seeing all the cool promos and graphics.

200_s.giftumblr_nphonaqyax1t55xupo1_400.gif

• Like 1

OK first you guys got me into binge watching MTM and next it'll be BEWITCHED. 

Like I Love Lucy, I grew up watching it in the 60's, but it's worth a re-watch. I bought each BEWITCHED season until Dick Sargent shows up-I HATED that Darrin. But, maybe I'll borrow those seasons from the li-berry just to watch them once.

There is a short clip somewhere on the 'net of someone's home movie that caught Mongomery as Serena near the famous Gloucester Fisherman statue. In that clip, you CLEARLY see Elizabeth Montgomery wearing a wig being herself. It's very odd, because your brain says "it's Serena" but it's not. The power of fooling the viewer with good acting.

I know someone from the area whose parents LET HER SKIP SCHOOL to watch the filming of these Salem/Gloucester episodes!! The hotel in Salem where they stayed has framed scripts, photos & other memorabilia from the episodes in their lobby.

Sadly, my family's nickname for me is Serena because I'm a wild crazy chick that never settled down. At times, I make horns with my curls that stick out like Serena's wig.

serenabeautymark.gif

• Like 2

OK first you guys got me into binge watching MTM and next it'll be BEWITCHED. 

Like I Love Lucy, I grew up watching it in the 60's, but it's worth a re-watch. I bought each BEWITCHED season until Dick Sargent shows up-I HATED that Darrin. But, maybe I'll borrow those seasons from the li-berry just to watch them once.

There is a short clip somewhere on the 'net of someone's home movie that caught Mongomery as Serena near the famous Gloucester Fisherman statue. In that clip, you CLEARLY see Elizabeth Montgomery wearing a wig being herself. It's very odd, because your brain says "it's Serena" but it's not. The power of fooling the viewer with good acting.

I know someone from the area whose parents LET HER SKIP SCHOOL to watch the filming of these Salem/Gloucester episodes!! The hotel in Salem where they stayed has framed scripts, photos & other memorabilia from the episodes in their lobby.

Sadly, my family's nickname for me is Serena because I'm a wild crazy chick that never settled down. At times, I make horns with my curls that stick out like Serena's wig.

TikiSoo, I think being called Serena is a compliment. 

One of my co-workers and I were talking about BEWITCHED --- she mentioned that she saw some of the series during first run --- and I called her Serena and her response was "Aww, Serena was mean!" But I told her that I loved Serena.

Thanks for considering giving the episodes with Dick Sargent as Darrin a second chance, I think there are a lot of really good Sargent episodes and I think he does a good job although his Darrin is much more sarcastic than was Dick York's.

The re-cast didn't bother me since I knew about it before I saw any of the episodes with the "new" Darrin, but I think for those watching the series in first run it would have been jarring. Most people usually like the version they've seen first of anything and so any subsequent versions will tend to be judged harshly because  they're different from the one they saw first.

I've read some comments by people saying they didn't like Dick Sargent as Darrin because he was always yelling at Samantha, but in reality Dick York was the one who yelled

The Dick Sargent episodes also are the ones that feature Esmeralda, and I love her! She's one of my favorite characters. After the death of Alice Pearce, Alice Ghostley was approached about assuming the role of Gladys Kravitz, but she declined. While she would have done a good job as Gladys (and I suspect would have been more sympathetic than Sandra Gould), I am glad that she ultimately was cast as Esmeralda.  

alice-ghostley-movies.jpg

I love the Salem Saga from Season 7. Shooting was done on location in Massachusetts because the studio sets were being re-built because of a fire. I love the part about the antique bedwarmer that follows Samantha out of the store (there's a Serena connection!) and the episode where Esmeralda accidentally sends Samantha back in time to Old Salem during the era of the witch trials without her memory so Darrin must also be sent back in time to rescue her.

I have been watching 'Mary Tyler Moore' all afternoon.  I should really switch gears and try to get some more movies off the DVR.

Anyway, I watched the last disc of Season 4 and now am watching the first disc of Season 5.  Anyway, one of the episodes I watched was the one where they hang out at the Singles bar for a story they want to do.  The WJM crew ends up scaring everyone away when they bring out the cameras.  Anyway, today, even though I've seen this episode multiple times, I just noticed that the actress who played Betty Bowerchuck (Chuckles the Clown's daughter who falls in love with Ted in a 2nd or 3rd season episode) plays the girl with Penny Marshall.

I also really like the episode where Lou and Rhoda begin casually hanging out and everyone thinks they're an "item."  

I think Tiki mentioned that she liked when they included scenes of Mary doing mundane things like painting her doorknob, or polishing her furniture or what not.  I agree.  It seems more realistic that Mary would be in the middle of doing something if company popped over randomly.  You wouldn't just sit around waiting for people to come over.  Today, in one episode, Mary was in the middle of drying her hair (using one of those old school hair dryers with the bag and the hose) when Ted and Georgette popped over.  It always amazes me in television shows when the female characters have to dedicate an evening to washing their hair.  Obviously, that means they don't do it everyday.  My hair would be absolutely disgusting if I tried to do that.

I also laugh when they use Mr. Grant's office for privacy.  Has anyone noticed that his office doesn't have a roof? And that its walls are lower than the walls of the rest of the office? It's pretty much a glorified cubicle.  Everyone would be able to hear what's going on in there.

• Like 1

Tonight I kind of recreated Nick at Nite. I watched an episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," an episode of "I Love Lucy," then "Bewitched," "I Dream of Jeannie" and now I'm watching "The Brady Bunch."

I know people rag on the Brady Bunch's clothes for being ugly or un-hip, I don't know, I kind of like them. I'd wear their clothes. I'm not too keen on their shoes, but that's it. I always thought that Florence Henderson seemed to be a pretty "groovy" mom, she wore cool outfits. I loved her gold paisley pantsuit.

Is it weird that I always thought that Mr. Brady was kind of hot? He and Ricky Ricardo were definitely the most attractive TV dads.

speedracer said: they hang out at the Singles bar for a story they want to do.  The WJM crew ends up scaring everyone away when they bring out the cameras.

I thought that episode was incredibly funny! I liked how Mary's idea was shot down but she conceded to Murray's idea. Isn't that just like real office politics?

I also really like the episode where Lou and Rhoda begin casually hanging out and everyone thinks they're an "item."  

Yeas, the topics are becoming more realistic. We've all had things like that happen.

I also really liked the season 5 ep when Lou dates the piano singer. VERY realistic, especially for the time period. Nowadays, people date gals with children from multiple fathers without batting an eye. But I liked how they skirted around saying "slept with everybody" kind of like pre-code. 

I also liked Mary putting Lou on the spot asking "how many is too many?" and he says "six" and her face drops, subtly showing Mary's sexually active. Even Rhoda says a line to the effect of "...my mother's face realizing I'm not waiting for marriage" in an episode.

The sexual revolution even for goody two shoes Mary Richards.

I also laugh when they use Mr. Grant's office for privacy.  Has anyone noticed that his office doesn't have a roof? And that its walls are lower than the walls of the rest of the office? It's pretty much a glorified cubicle.  Everyone would be able to hear what's going on in there.

Yes, I noticed the very same thing.

I also notice the "art department" guys in WJM's background. Not only a drafting board, but the "roundy" of PrismaColor markers & rapidographs we used in those days. I still use my PrismaColors thirty years later!

My first job was "visual merchandiser" (window & in store display) just like Rhoda! I love that about her, as well as her more Bohemian clothing compared to Mary's conservative "office" wear. I think EVERY gal had those leather purses with an embossed elephant design from India that Rhoda often carries. I DEFINITELY wore scarfs in the 60's-70's like both of them.

Fashion has become so dull in this century.

• Like 1

Tonight I kind of recreated Nick at Nite. I watched an episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," an episode of "I Love Lucy," then "Bewitched," "I Dream of Jeannie" and now I'm watching "The Brady Bunch."

I know people rag on the Brady Bunch's clothes for being ugly or un-hip, I don't know, I kind of like them. I'd wear their clothes. I'm not too keen on their shoes, but that's it. I always thought that Florence Henderson seemed to be a pretty "groovy" mom, she wore cool outfits. I loved her gold paisley pantsuit..

I like the Brady Bunch's clothes too especially a lot of the shirts that Bobby Brady wore.

I have a couple of shirts that I call my Bobby Brady shirts.

I really want shirts like the ones Bobby's wearing in these photos:

hqdefault.jpg

960.jpg

What episode of BEWITCHED did you watch, speedracer?

I'm up to Season 5 and recently watched one of my favorite episodes "I Don't Want To Be A Toad, I Want To Be A Butterfly."

I smile just thinking about some of the lines and moments from that one ----such as the musical chairs game.

TikiSoo and speedracer, let me know when you watch that one.

I like the Brady Bunch's clothes too especially a lot of the shirts that Bobby Brady wore.

I have a couple of shirts that I call my Bobby Brady shirts.

I really want shirts like the ones Bobby's wearing in these photos:

What episode of BEWITCHED did you watch, speedracer?

I'm up to Season 5 and recently watched one of my favorite episodes "I Don't Want To Be A Toad, I Want To Be A Butterfly."

I smile just thinking about some of the lines and moments from that one ----such as the musical chairs game.

TikiSoo and speedracer, let me know when you watch that one.

I love Greg's suede fringe jacket.  I probably wouldn't actually wear it, but I think it's cool.  I would wear a bunch of Marcia's clothes.  Lol.  

I watched the episode of Bewitched where Samantha and Endora are shopping and Samantha realizes that she has to be in two places at once.  She has an errand to run and a dress fitting scheduled and she realizes she can't do both.  Endora volunteers to go to the dress fitting in Samantha's place.  She (while impersonating Samantha) ends up getting picked up by a man at the department store.  It turns out to be a friend of Darrin's, whom Darrin has asked to dinner.  Samantha and Endora have to figure out a way to let the guy down easy so that he isn't in love with Samantha anymore.

I loved how they kept Endora's eye makeup on "Samantha" so you knew when it was Samantha and when it was Endora. 

I have Season 5! I'll have to watch that one.  I still need to get Seasons 7 & 8.  Which is the last season with Darrin #1?

speedracer said: they hang out at the Singles bar for a story they want to do.  The WJM crew ends up scaring everyone away when they bring out the cameras.

I thought that episode was incredibly funny! I liked how Mary's idea was shot down but she conceded to Murray's idea. Isn't that just like real office politics?

Yeas, the topics are becoming more realistic. We've all had things like that happen.

I also really liked the season 5 ep when Lou dates the piano singer. VERY realistic, especially for the time period. Nowadays, people date gals with children from multiple fathers without batting an eye. But I liked how they skirted around saying "slept with everybody" kind of like pre-code. 

I also liked Mary putting Lou on the spot asking "how many is too many?" and he says "six" and her face drops, subtly showing Mary's sexually active. Even Rhoda says a line to the effect of "...my mother's face realizing I'm not waiting for marriage" in an episode.

The sexual revolution even for goody two shoes Mary Richards.

Yes, I noticed the very same thing.

I also notice the "art department" guys in WJM's background. Not only a drafting board, but the "roundy" of PrismaColor markers & rapidographs we used in those days. I still use my PrismaColors thirty years later!

My first job was "visual merchandiser" (window & in store display) just like Rhoda! I love that about her, as well as her more Bohemian clothing compared to Mary's conservative "office" wear. I think EVERY gal had those leather purses with an embossed elephant design from India that Rhoda often carries. I DEFINITELY wore scarfs in the 60's-70's like both of them.

Fashion has become so dull in this century.

Yes. I agree about the office politics.  I thought it was funny that Murray's wife wouldn't let him hang out at the bar during the week.  I love the end when they're trying to do their broadcast and they have to make do with their staff members.  It's hilarious when Ted says something like "Here's one of the regulars at the singles bar!" and it pans over to Murray.  

Yes.  I really liked the piano singer.  I always thought she was really pretty and a great match for Lou.  I liked her better than Edie.  I'm sad that she is only in a few episodes.  I like when Lou says that the magic number is 6, and Mary leaves the office, comes back in and says "six?!" in a tone that implies that Mary has indeed had more than 6 partners.  It's very progressive.  

I liked when Mary was dating sportscaster Andy, but he's only in a couple episodes.  He is definitely one of her more attractive boyfriends, aside from architect Mike.  I liked Andy more than her most serious boyfriend--That Girl's boyfriend, Donald. 

I love Rhoda and Mary's clothes.  Rhoda wore relatively conservative clothes, but she made her clothes more whimsical with her choice of accessories.  I loved her long black floral coat with the fringe.  I also loved her hats.  Mary had a lot of great office clothes.  Two of my favorite dresses is the one with a black sweater w/ green plaid on the front (I noticed in an episode or two later, Mary has the identical outfit but with tan plaid.  Which is completely realistic, if you find an outfit you like, you buy it in multiple colors) and black skirt and the other dress I like is black with a rainbow belt and rainbow skirt. 

Then of course, there's the hilarious green dress with all the cut-outs.  

I agree that the current fashions this century are boring.  Of course, many this century lack the figures of the 70s ladies like Florence Henderson, Mary Tyler Moore and Valerie Harper.  Even Cloris Leachman's Phyllis had some great clothes.  Even Sue Ann did! I loved her brown dress with all the lion faces on it.  

I liked Marcia's green dress, the one that falls victim to Peter's volcano. 

7e7dc7cf7a1b8d6e979dfd9d88a95793.jpg

And Greg's awesome "grown up man" outfit:

dfc7a-4_brady_bunch_greginglasses.jpg?w=

And let us not forget Carol's awesome gold paisley pantsuit:

2vhsu87.jpg

I wish I lived at the Brady Bunch's house.  I would take the whole 70s motif, the whole kit and kaboodle.  They had a really cool house with great furniture.  They even had minimal yard work! You don't have to mow or water astroturf!

I watched the episode of Bewitched where Samantha and Endora are shopping and Samantha realizes that she has to be in two places at once.  She has an errand to run and a dress fitting scheduled and she realizes she can't do both.  Endora volunteers to go to the dress fitting in Samantha's place.  She (while impersonating Samantha) ends up getting picked up by a man at the department store.  It turns out to be a friend of Darrin's, whom Darrin has asked to dinner.  Samantha and Endora have to figure out a way to let the guy down easy so that he isn't in love with Samantha anymore.

I loved how they kept Endora's eye makeup on "Samantha" so you knew when it was Samantha and when it was Endora. 

I have Season 5! I'll have to watch that one.  I still need to get Seasons 7 & 8.  Which is the last season with Darrin #1?

Season 5 was the last season of BEWITCHED with Dick York (Darrin #1).

He missed a number of episodes that season due to medical issues related to his back injury.

In some episodes it's obvious there were rewrites to give Darrin lines to Larry Tate.

There are a few episodes that season where Darrin appears only at the beginning and the end. 

One of these episodes is "I Don't Want To Be A Toad, I Want To Be A Butterfly."

• Like 1