Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

I wish I lived at the Brady Bunch's house.  I would take the whole 70s motif, the whole kit and kaboodle. 

Haha, I have a lot of their kitchen stuff for sale in my shop: the mixer, the stainless canister set & wall paper towel holder.  It's always funny to spot something you own on an old TV show. I once had a huge ugly painting of carousel horses given to me by a client. I spotted it once on I DREAM OF JEANNIE! It's long gone, left in my old office at the museum.

I own BEWITCHED up until season 5 because I only liked Dick York. Guess I'll get the later seasons from the li-berry. Might as well check them out, though I intensely dislike Dick Seargent.

A question for the MTM fans....

I'm watching season 5 now and absolutely notice Valerie Harper's absence, it's very abrupt. The second episode or so, they were out buying wedding gifts for Rhoda. Huh? When did she meet this guy? When did she move to NYC? There was an episode where Rhoda was going to a better job & Mary didn't believe she would go-and she changed her mind the last minute.

But she didn't leave.

But now she's gone.

I recall back in the day Harper was looking for a better contract or something, was that why she was written out? Is this why they gave her her own show?

I had missed a few episodes from the previous season because the disks malfunctioned. Did I miss Rhoda's story line exit?

A question for the MTM fans....

I'm watching season 5 now and absolutely notice Valerie Harper's absence, it's very abrupt. The second episode or so, they were out buying wedding gifts for Rhoda. Huh? When did she meet this guy? When did she move to NYC? There was an episode where Rhoda was going to a better job & Mary didn't believe she would go-and she changed her mind the last minute.

But she didn't leave.

But now she's gone.

I recall back in the day Harper was looking for a better contract or something, was that why she was written out? Is this why they gave her her own show?

I had missed a few episodes from the previous season because the disks malfunctioned. Did I miss Rhoda's story line exit?

Rhoda's exit happened on the first episode of RHODA. There was no episode on THE MTM SHOW with her leaving.

The first season of RHODA aired during the same year as the fifth season of THE MTM SHOW (1974-1975).

In the opening scene of the first episode of RHODA (before the opening credits) Mary is seen at the Minneapolis airport with Rhoda as she's leaving for a vacation to New York City, her hometown. During her visit to New York, she meets Joe Gerard and feels a strong connection to him. She feels like the relationship is something worth pursuing so she decides to stay in New York. 

In the syndicated airing of RHODA on Nick At Nite and on the SHOUT DVD release the airport scene with Mary and Rhoda was cut. However, the airport scene did appear on a syndicated airing in the United Kingdom . A video of this airing is available online. I also read that he airport scene was included in an airing on ME-TV.

Valerie Harper actually had to be coerced to leave THE MTM SHOW so I don't think she was looking for a better contract. CBS  asked for a series to be developed around Rhoda because of the popularity of the character. CBS even "bought" the series without a pilot.

Many years later Valerie Harper did ask for more money when she was starring in the series VALERIE. Her request was refused and she was fired. Her character was killed off and the series was renamed VALERIE'S FAMILY. Valerie Harper sued the network and the production company for breach of contract and the series was eventually renamed THE HOGAN FAMILY.   

THE HOGAN FAMILY aired a lot in syndication in the 1990s.

Ah thanks for that detailed explanation, Holden! No wonder my memory was murky - Harper was fired off her own show! Well, it was 30 years ago, no wonder I had forgotten. 

Season 5 of MTM show is odd with Rhoda's abrupt absence. As much as I like Phyllis, Sue Ann & Georgette, they do not fill Rhoda's void. Says something about Valerie Harper's talent as Rhoda.

Re Brady Bunch costumes: They were pretty typical of what kids wore.....10 years earlier!! I completely discounted The Brady Bunch show when I was a kid because they seemed so uncool & so behind the times.

I actually wondered if California where it was filmed was THAT far behind regular street fashion of New York.

Of course I now realize they were just super conservative and it was reflected by their hair & clothing. Even Greg's "groovy" outfit was just so far behind any real trend.

Haha I remember how goofy the father looked when returned one season with a new perm!

Back then I thought Florence Henderson looked like a jerk. In retrospect, I find her adorable, although unrealistic. No woman who birthed 3 kids would have a figure like that. Impossible.

Ah thanks for that detailed explanation, Holden! No wonder my memory was murky - Harper was fired off her own show! Well, it was 30 years ago, no wonder I had forgotten. 

Season 5 of MTM show is odd with Rhoda's abrupt absence. As much as I like Phyllis, Sue Ann & Georgette, they do not fill Rhoda's void. Says something about Valerie Harper's talent as Rhoda.

Re Brady Bunch costumes: They were pretty typical of what kids wore.....10 years earlier!! I completely discounted The Brady Bunch show when I was a kid because they seemed so uncool & so behind the times.

I actually wondered if California where it was filmed was THAT far behind regular street fashion of New York.

Of course I now realize they were just super conservative and it was reflected by their hair & clothing. Even Greg's "groovy" outfit was just so far behind any real trend.

Haha I remember how goofy the father looked when returned one season with a new perm!

Back then I thought Florence Henderson looked like a jerk. In retrospect, I find her adorable, although unrealistic. No woman who birthed 3 kids would have a figure like that. Impossible.

I agree that The Mary Tyler Moore Show seems to be missing something once Rhoda departs.  Even Phyllis doesn't appear much in Season 5.  It seems a bit sad that Mary goes home and no longer has Rhoda drop in.  Unless Mary has a date, she doesn't have anyone to eat dinner with, go to the movies with, or just hang out with.  I can see why they have Mary move to the other apartment in Season 6, just so that Mary has a "new life" so to speak.  It's almost as if the show takes on a bit of a different dynamic.  It evolves from a buddy comedy to more of a workplace comedy.  I've noticed that once Rhoda (and later Phyllis) are gone, most of the storylines deal with Mary and Mr. Grant, Murray, etc. It also seems to me that Mr. Grant somewhat takes on the role of the BFF/confidante that Rhoda was.  It seems that Mary is confiding and spending more time with Mr. Grant than she had prior.  It's a shame that they didn't do a proper send off for Rhoda.  Perhaps they thought it seemed redundant to have Mary say goodbye on her show and say goodbye at the beginning of Rhoda.  Or maybe, they thought that in case Rhoda bombed, they could subtly work Rhoda back into the fold on 'Mary Tyler Moore.' 

Re: The Brady Bunch.  I read (maybe in Barry Williams' autobiography) that even the Brady kids didn't like the clothes and complained that they were out of fashion.  They wanted to wear more trendy clothes, but for whatever reason, Sherwood Schwartz & co. wouldn't let them.  For me personally, perhaps because I have no personal experience with fashions of the 1960s-1970s, I didn't have any issues with their clothes.  Occasionally, they'll wear an ugly pair of pants, but most often, they have ugly shoes.  Bobby I think takes the cake for the ugliest pants ever seen on the show.  In one episode, (I think it's the one where he becomes safety monitor)he wears these pants that are brown corduroy on the back and blue knit (khaki?) on the front.  It looks like he took a pair of sweatpants and sewed them to a pair of cords.  Jan's bell-bottom red/yellow/green plaid pants are also pretty hideous.  

I always liked Florence Henderson's clothes.  She was probably one of the more "hip" moms.  I believe she herself had four children.  I suppose Flo was just blessed in the genetics department.

In honor of Valerie Harper's 77th birthday today, I thought I'd name my top favorite Rhoda moments on The Mary Tyler Moore Show:

1. The end of "Rhoda, the Beautiful" where Rhoda finally accepts that she looks great after her weight loss and begins tearing up that she actually won the beauty pageant at Hemple's Department Store.

2. When Rhoda's mom Ida is wearing the same dress as Rhoda in the newsroom.  Rhoda's reaction is hilarious.  The second funniest part is when Ida holds her hand and swings it. 

11wdbpl.jpg

3. In "Put on a Happy Face," Rhoda says this to cheer up a sick Mary:

"Tomorrow, you'll meet a crown prince from Europe and marry.  I'll have a fat attack.  Eat 300 peanut butter cups and die."

4. In "My Brother's Keeper," Rhoda keeping Phyllis on the edge by teasing her that she's in love with Phyllis' brother and that he's in love with her.

5. The episode where Rhoda re-decorates Lou's living room and makes it a big, white, room. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VALERIE!

• Like 3

I agree that The Mary Tyler Moore Show seems to be missing something once Rhoda departs. Even Phyllis doesn't appear much in Season 5. It seems a bit sad that Mary goes home and no longer has Rhoda drop in. Unless Mary has a date, she doesn't have anyone to eat dinner with, go to the movies with, or just hang out with. I can see why they have Mary move to the other apartment in Season 6, just so that Mary has a "new life" so to speak. It's almost as if the show takes on a bit of a different dynamic. It evolves from a buddy comedy to more of a workplace comedy. I've noticed that once Rhoda (and later Phyllis) are gone, most of the storylines deal with Mary and Mr. Grant, Murray, etc. It also seems to me that Mr. Grant somewhat takes on the role of the BFF/confidante that Rhoda was. It seems that Mary is confiding and spending more time with Mr. Grant than she had prior. It's a shame that they didn't do a proper send off for Rhoda. Perhaps they thought it seemed redundant to have Mary say goodbye on her show and say goodbye at the beginning of Rhoda. Or maybe, they thought that in case Rhoda bombed, they could subtly work Rhoda back into the fold on 'Mary Tyler Moore.'

Re: The Brady Bunch. I read (maybe in Barry Williams' autobiography) that even the Brady kids didn't like the clothes and complained that they were out of fashion. They wanted to wear more trendy clothes, but for whatever reason, Sherwood Schwartz & co. wouldn't let them. For me personally, perhaps because I have no personal experience with fashions of the 1960s-1970s, I didn't have any issues with their clothes. Occasionally, they'll wear an ugly pair of pants, but most often, they have ugly shoes. Bobby I think takes the cake for the ugliest pants ever seen on the show. In one episode, (I think it's the one where he becomes safety monitor)he wears these pants that are brown corduroy on the back and blue knit (khaki?) on the front. It looks like he took a pair of sweatpants and sewed them to a pair of cords. Jan's bell-bottom red/yellow/green plaid pants are also pretty hideous.

I always liked Florence Henderson's clothes. She was probably one of the more "hip" moms. I believe she herself had four children. I suppose Flo was just blessed in the genetics department.

Great comments from you and Tikisoo re. the difference on the MTM show once Rhoda left. The banter between Mary and Rhoda, and especially between Rhoda and Phyllis more acrimoniously, was lost and sorely missed. Sue Ann Niven helped a little, but then CBS wanted lightening to strike twice and spun off Phyllis. This weakened the dynamic even more. Although, in theory, the winners were the viewers, as they now could watch these characters in some permutation three times a week. The final spin-offs, of Sue Ann and Lou Grant (his as an hourlong drama) came with the demise of the MTM show. Great insight, thanks.
  • Like 1

Re: The Brady Bunch.  I read (maybe in Barry Williams' autobiography) that even the Brady kids didn't like the clothes and complained that they were out of fashion. 

I just got notice that Mike Lookinland & Susan Olsen will be attending the Horror Convention I'm going to later this month. Horror of a different kind: Suburbia with a gay Daddy & hootchie Mamma!

• Like 2

Great comments from you and Tikisoo re. the difference on the MTM show once Rhoda left. The banter between Mary and Rhoda, and especially between Rhoda and Phyllis more acrimoniously, was lost and sorely missed. Sue Ann Niven helped a little, but then CBS wanted lightening to strike twice and spun off Phyllis. This weakened the dynamic even more. Although, in theory, the winners were the viewers, as they now could watch these characters in some permutation three times a week. The final spin-offs, of Sue Ann and Lou Grant (his as an hourlong drama) came with the demise of the MTM show. Great insight, thanks.

I don't think the Sue Ann Nivens character ever had a spin-off series. Betty White and Georgia Engel did star in a post-MTM SHOW series called THE BETTY WHITE SHOW, but they played different characters than the ones they played on THE MTM SHOW.

I've never seen any episodes of the show, but it only lasted for a half a season before it was cancelled.

I've seen some clips on YouTube. 

I don't think the Sue Ann Nivens character ever had a spin-off series. Betty White and Georgia Engel did star in a post-MTM SHOW series called THE BETTY WHITE SHOW, but they played different characters than the ones they played on THE MTM SHOW.

I've never seen any episodes of the show, but it only lasted for a half a season before it was cancelled.

I've seen some clips on YouTube. 

It's interesting that while Rhoda and Phyllis are mentioned often in articles discussing The Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Sue-Ann spin off is never mentioned--at least in the articles that I've read.  I didn't even know there was a Betty White/Georgia Engel show.  I did know that Betty White had a show in the 1950s called The Betty White Show.  So she starred in two shows called The Betty White Show

Re: The Brady Bunch.  I read (maybe in Barry Williams' autobiography) that even the Brady kids didn't like the clothes and complained that they were out of fashion. 

I just got notice that Mike Lookinland & Susan Olsen will be attending the Horror Convention I'm going to later this month. Horror of a different kind: Suburbia with a gay Daddy & hootchie Mamma!

Lol.  I guess there was that one episode of The Brady Bunch where Carol's ex-boyfriend Tank, from high school, came calling and she was openly flirting with him in front of Mike.  Lol! 

Question: So she starred in two shows called The Betty White Show ? 

Yes!

I just finished "Mary, Lou, Rhoda & Ted" and the very end they go over each person's career & I noticed that. She was a pioneer in early television and it was delightful when she started showing up on The Mary Tyler Moore Show a year or two into the series.

Thanks for recommending that book, Holden-I loved it! I'm much more interested these days in reading what goes on behind the scenes on movies (& TV) than reading star's biographies.

I agreed with everything the author wrote, and I was there (watching the initial run, I mean) in regards to how the public reacted to the show, the charactors & topics covered.

But I'm on season 6 and notice a huge dip in interesting content of the episodes. I also notice more male than female writing credits. I really think the strongest topics are the ones written by women, like Rhoda & her mother episodes.

Apparently a series was resurrected of just Mary & Rhoda in 2000 that picked up "where they are now" divorced single ladies again, with grown children. Gosh, what a fantastic idea....but sadly, it bombed.

It's interesting that while Rhoda and Phyllis are mentioned often in articles discussing The Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Sue-Ann spin off is never mentioned--at least in the articles that I've read.  I didn't even know there was a Betty White/Georgia Engel show.  

THE BETTY WHITE SHOW starring Betty White and Georgia Engel is probably not discussed much because the show lasted only half a season and because it wasn't a spin-off of THE MTM SHOW --- White and Engel  played new characters, not Sue Ann Nivens and Georgette Franklin Baxter.  

• Like 1

The annual I Love Lucy Christmas Special will be airing in two weeks on CBS.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/love-lucy-cbs-christmas-special/

i-love-lucy-christmas-special-cbs-cancel

This year's special will feature the I Love Lucy Christmas episode and the newly colorized version of "Lucy Gets Into Pictures."  

The Christmas episode is really just a flashback episode.  It is not part of the regular syndication package because Desi Arnaz did not want people to be subjected to having to watch a Christmas episode in say, July.  This episode is mainly comprised of flashbacks.  The Ricardos and Mertzes, while decorating the Christmas tree, reminisce about how their lives had changed since the birth of Little Ricky.  One flashback brings us back to "Lucy is Enciente" where Lucy tells Ricky she's spectin'.  Another flashback depicts Lucy's so-called show business swan song in "Lucy's Show Biz Swan Song." In this episode, Lucy manages to horn into a barbershop quartet number with Ricky and the Mertzes.  The final flashback showcases the birth of Little Ricky, with the highlight of the episode being Ricky and the Mertzes practice run of bringing Lucy to the hospital when "the time has come" as Ricky so regally announces.  The run-through goes fine.  Everyone is calm, cool and collected.  Then, Lucy comes out and says "this is it!" and chaos ensues-- everyone forgets what they were doing and almost end up leaving Lucy at home.  

The second episode, "Lucy Gets into Pictures," takes us to Hollywood.  After the Mertzes score small roles in a film, Lucy, the only one not in a film, feels left out.  Ricky ends up pulling some strings and gets her a bit part as a showgirl in a film.  Lucy is the center of the scene and has to wear a huge headdress as she descends the staircase.  The headdress gets the best of Lucy and she struggles.  The director wants to make some changes to the scene, but oops! Lucy has already told all her friends back in New York about her big role in a Hollywood film. 

Watch on CBS on December 2 at 8:00pm! 

Had to resurrect this thread to mention I've been watching season 1 of CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? a show I do not remember watching. It was on Nick At Nite at one time.

Not only is it entertaining, but every episode there is a special "guest", mostly charactor actors early in their careers. 

So far I've seen a very young Wally Cox, Jaimie Farr, Nipsy Russell, Alice Ghostly (playing a "beauty"!) but the most shocking so far was seeing actress Charlotte Rae. She played Al Lewis' wife-Sylvia Schnauzer.

It got me thinking how really fantastic an actor & comedienne Rae is, and how adorably cute she looked in this series. 

• Like 1

Had to resurrect this thread to mention I've been watching season 1 of CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? a show I do not remember watching. It was on Nick At Nite at one time.

Not only is it entertaining, but every episode there is a special "guest", mostly charactor actors early in their careers. 

So far I've seen a very young Wally Cox, Jaimie Farr, Nipsy Russell, Alice Ghostly (playing a "beauty"!) but the most shocking so far was seeing actress Charlotte Rae. She played Al Lewis' wife-Sylvia Schnauzer.

It got me thinking how really fantastic an actor & comedienne Rae is, and how adorably cute she looked in this series. 

I think Car 54 Where Are You? must have left Nick at Nite before I started watching it.  I know that Nick at Nite started in the 80s and I started watching Nick at Nite in 1994/1995.  I would have seen this show before if it aired on there.  I've never seen it but I do know that it stars Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis who later starred in one of my favorite Nick at Nite shows, The Munsters.  

That'd be interesting to see a young Charlotte Rae.  I only know her from The Facts of Life.  I wasn't a fan of Diff'rent Strokes, so I never watched it.  Shows with kids having catch phrases (which seemed big in the 70s/80s) were annoying to me. 

Funny you say that speedy...."catch phrases" are annoying no matter who says them.

A charactor gets a huge laugh saying something, then the writers MAKE the charactor say it week after week. Not funny. In fact, it's the first indication of a show getting stale.

CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? actually had a "catch phrase" 55 years ago. Joe E Ross playing Toody often reacted with an "Ooooh-oooo-oooo" which according to everything I've read online, was encouraged by the producers.

A few shows used them sparingly like Barney Fife's "Nip it in the bud" was only said maybe once a season, if that - 4 or 5 times in the show's run. 

• Like 1

Funny you say that speedy...."catch phrases" are annoying no matter who says them.

A charactor gets a huge laugh saying something, then the writers MAKE the charactor say it week after week. Not funny. In fact, it's the first indication of a show getting stale.

CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? actually had a "catch phrase" 55 years ago. Joe E Ross playing Toody often reacted with an "Ooooh-oooo-oooo" which according to everything I've read online, was encouraged by the producers.

A few shows used them sparingly like Barney Fife's "Nip it in the bud" was only said maybe once a season, if that - 4 or 5 times in the show's run. 

Yes.  And the "Nip it in a Bud" was funny, but maybe because it was because of how Don Knotts said it, plus, like you said, it was used sparingly.  On paper, many of Don Knotts' lines wouldn't really be all that funny, but it's how Knotts says it and the facial expressions he makes which makes Barney hilarious.

People discussing I Love Lucy always tries to make it seem like "Lucy, I'm home" and "Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do" are Desi Arnaz' catchphrases.  If he ever said either of these things, he said it probably once.  Not enough to qualify as a catchphrase.

• Like 1